“Great weekend away trip” 4 of 5 stars

Breakfast Bliss
Ranked #26 of 130 hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersBronze level
Grand Cayman
“Great weekend away trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Great location and hotel for a weekend away for hubby's birthday weekend. Staff just lovely, free Mercedes Benz service nicely done. Front desk staff very nice and Albert at the bar very helpful, gave great suggestion on restaurants etc. Easy location to get to other area and there are lovely restaurants and bars close by. Will definitely be back, felt very welcomed.

Rooms are spacious, clean and have nice views. Bathrooms huge:) little extras very nice and bed very comfortable. Fridge useful for snacks etc.

Go over to Brickell Village, nice restaurants and just a fun place.

Good job.

Room Tip: Room 1111 has city view and a bit of a water view. Live on an island so water view not important. Ni...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
ViceroyMiamiHotel, General Manager at Viceroy Miami, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear DMustang72:

I’m so glad that you had fun with us. Please give your husband a belated birthday wish from Viceroy Miami. Albert at the bar is quite a character. Of course every good bar has a better bar tender.

Mary Brickell Village is definitely the best spot I can suggest when leaving the hotel to shop or dine out. We’re located very close and the Mercedes is ready to go!

Come back for another birthday weekend!

833 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Turkish first
Hillsboro Beach, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Let me preface this review by saying we are South Florida locals that were staying in Miami for the ING Marathon. We have stayed in NUMEROUS properties in the Downtown/SOBE area over the years, including the Viceroy. We chose the Viceroy due to the fact it is a newer property (less chance to end up with a real run down room) and its proximity from the start/finish line of the event. This was our second visit. Our first visit was right after it opened and the staff was still on their game. This time, not so much. Where the hotel completely fails is hospitality. Due to the set up of the property there is no real lobby, it is just a check-in area. Unfortunately that is how it is treated. The front desk staff are cold, completely lack engagement and by and large demonstrate no welcoming attitude what-so-ever. I booked through the ING Marathon for the room at a somewhat reduced rate of $345 which was supposed to include use of the spa facilities. No acknowledgment of the package or attempt to welcome us to the property for the race were made at check-in. The agent barely made eye contact and rushed hurriedly through the motions of check-in. "Is this your first time to the property?" Our response, "No, it is our second". Her response, "Wellinthatcaseletmebethefirsttowelcomeyouback." Hurried, spoken as if all one word, not a smile, not even looking up. Bear in mind, there was no one else waiting for service during this period of time. In a City with SO MANY wonderful lodging options, the hotel makes no attempt at endearing themselves to their guests. Additionally, we exited and entered the hotel 4 times. There was no greeting upon entering and exiting the hotel, despite the fact the front desk is about 12 feet from the front entry door. I literally hobbled in, after the race, sweaty, with a medal around my neck to find two (maybe three) front desk staff talking amongst themselves. Would it have been to hard for them to look up, say "Welcome back" or even "Congratulations"? Don't take this the wrong way. We are not needy and could care less about recognition for the race...it was the complete lack of hospitality for what is supposed to be a high end property that completely dumbfounded us. I would gladly pay twice the rate we paid to stay at a property that treats their guests as actual guests. That being said, the Viceroy is an "acceptable property". The rooms were clean and fairly well appointed. The furnishings were acceptable with the exception of broken blinds in the room. However, I could have gone to any base level Marriott or Hilton for an "acceptable property" and paid half the price. Guests at a property of this level are willing to pay more for the "experience"....of which there was none at the Viceroy.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
ViceroyMiamiHotel, General Manager at Viceroy Miami, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear SunnyWineBunny:

I am very discouraged after reading your review. First, I really wish I could have been there to congratulate you myself. Finishing the ING Marathon is quite an accomplishment. I’ve met with my front desk team and reviewed your comments with them. I think we’re all disappointed but I believe that we are also committed to do better. Sometimes, although hard to hear, these kinds of reviews are necessary. I appreciate you candid feedback. Please do give us another try next year if you decide to run again. I think you will see a marked improvement.

Epping, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

This place is very modern and posh, awesome pool,on the roof and big hot tub, they have a great conceierge service here. For Miami this is a nice place for the price, we were able to stay here for about 2k for the week instead of the normal price which is at least double that.Stay here you won't be dissapointed. Just remeber Miami is NOT cheap but it has beautiful women every where and the night life is great, check it out !!!!!!

Room Tip: 1 bedroom suite
Dear Roger M:

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. As a lady myself, I’m not one to judge the women in Miami but I am glad that you approve of the residents in our city!

Please come back and see us. I hear there’s a bit of snow in New Hampshire right now. It’s never too soon to make a return trip.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

I travel to Miami once a month and my usual room at the Mandarin was not available other than at a big price increase so I thought I'd try the Viceroy. I liked the physical property very much -- the rooms, the decor, the restaurants, the gym in the adjoining condos, the pools, etc. -- but the overall service and little touches are just not at the level of a top notch 5-star hotel. (1) When I checked in I found a pair of used men's bikini underwear in my room; (2) my bathroom smelled like someone had been smoking in there (a non-smoking room); (3) for most of my stay, the smell of garbage permiated the hallways on my floor 50 feet either side of the stairway and service elevator; and (4) worst of all for a business traveler in a rental car and with appointments, the valets at this property are awful. Even if you call down for your car they've never heard of it when you get downstairs and then when you ask them (if you can get their attention) they all yell at each other like it's the first time anyone has asked for a car. It's also hard to get their attention when you return to the property and need them to take your car back. I am used to valets greeting you when you arrive. Here I had to wait at my car until I could yell at someone to come over. The whole operation seems set up to service guests of the restaurant and other public spaces, not hotel guests. (They color code the valet tickets. If you have a white one -- hotel guest -- they seem to not care very much.). If you have no car and are not that picky, it's a lovely property. If I can get my corporate rate back at the Mandarin up the street, however, I will stick w/ that.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear jdse20,

Thank you for your review. Where do I begin? I think it is best to number my responses as well so I don’t miss any points:
1) Apparently, we have a guest traveling back home without his under garments intact. Unfortunate for him. Extremely unfortunate for us. I apologize that this was missed in housekeeping. We inspect every one of our rooms after they have been cleaned to prevent such things from occurring. I would be extremely put off as well. I have met with my housekeeping director on this.
2) I smelled the same exact thing when I walked into your room. This was called to my attention as well. I take this very seriously as we are a non-smoking hotel. Unfortunately, the previous guest had come and gone before we could make the appropriate charge for aerating the room. However, if I’m going to spend money on room standards, having my rooms smoke free is imperative. I walked that room again recently and can report it smells like it should.
3) The smell in the hallway has been completely rectified. This is a more involved explanation which involves air induction. My chief engineer, however, has solved the challenge. He is worth every penny. I have inspected that hallway as well. Problem is solved.
4) Our valet team has its good days and then, well, it has its bad days. Unfortunately, we have to outsource valet parking like many of the hotels in Miami. They simply won’t let me park the cars myself. I am working to improve their service standards and I think I’m making headway.

My final comment, I won’t number. That is simply…sorry. I apologize for the series of difficulties you experienced with us here at Viceroy Miami. You have my personal commitment that you got my attention and I listen. This is how we get better. Thank you for taking the time to share.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Stayed for four nights in one bedroom suite with my girlfriend. Received great personalized service from Colleen Harrigan. We enjoyed the design/style of the hotel. Highlights are the huge rooftop pool and massive hot tub. Don't miss trying the different whirlpools at the spa, went at night, very romantic. Looked like a nice gym too, but didn't get a chance to use it. The rooftop club 50, had nice atmosphere, but drinks at the bar were overpriced. Was charged $38 for two rail gin and tonics. Was there on a friday night from 1-2:30AM and club was mostly empty. We made use of the fantastic complimentary Mercedes Benz drop off service to go to restaurants and the beach, huge perk! Would definitely come back to stay at the Viceroy.

Dear Kevin E,

Wonderful review, Kevin. Thank you! Colleen is turning into a local celebrity here. I’ve put into the budget to clone her and put her in all outlets around the hotel.

I’m glad you had the opportunity to visit FIFTY Ultra Lounge. Fridays, generally, are not as busy around down town Miami. It’s a great night to go out if you want to avoid the crowds. However, if you want to come in with several dozen of your best friends, then I wouldn’t mind at all! We follow Miami pricing on the drinks but we also do run specials. I’ll be sure to mention that to our FIFTY manager so our patrons know what’s the best thing to order. I believe in value above all else.

I am very pleased that you took advantage of our Mercedes program. We’re hoping that more guests try the service. Miami in a Mercedes really does remind you that you’ve arrived.

Winter is long in Toronto. Please call us if you can get away again before spring. We would love to have you back.

Sao Paulo, SP
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I was there for two nights with my family and stayed at one of their suites. The hotel is nice but the service felt very cheap. For $800 bucks a night, it was REALLY disappointing. Here is my list:

Reservation - I booked my suite online through the hotel's website one week before checking in. I never got an e-mail confirming my reservation. Luckily I've printed out the confirmation at the time of booking.

Valet - The hotel shares the valet with the next door restaurant. They don't help with bags and we waited for ten minutes for someone to show up to get the bags when we checked in. I called the front desk every time before coming down to give the ticket number and ask for my car and it was never there. The valet always said that it was not requested by the hotel...

Bell desk - As I said we waited for ten minutes when we checked in. Two days later we checked out early(6 am) and were informed that there was no one who could help us with the bags so I had to do three trips up to carry them down...

Front desk. I never saw more than one overburden person working at the front desk in the tinny lobby. During our stay, I've interacted with three different people there and none of them had a clue about their job or the hotel. We only got one key when we checked in because they ran out of keys. When we checked out in the morning, the kid didn't know how to use the computer and asked me to write down my name and e-mail in a tinny piece of white paper so that I could get my invoice later.

Overall service - I've booked the room for two adults, a child a baby. We called ahead to ask for a crib and a rollaway bed for our 5 year old. The crib was there but the bed wasn't. When I called they told me that they needed my approval for the $70 extra charge for the rollaway bed. I replied saying that I didn't care about the charge and I just wanted the bed there as I requested in my reservation. That is why a booked a suite in the first place. After 30 minutes, housekeeping showed up with another crib. I told him that was not what I asked for and he said he couldn't help and that I had to call guest services again... At the end, I was not charged the additional $70...

Amenities - The hotel is trying to save money in every tinny detail. The shampoo, soap and conditioner are in giant containers like those you see at a motel 6 or a Howard Johnson. There were only two tinny odd smelling towels in the room for all of us and, after throwing them in the tub in the morning, the same two towels were back in the hanger after they cleaned the room. We ordered breakfast in the room for four people and it came with one plate and one knife that we all had to share...

Overall, the hotel looks nice and the rooms are nicely decorated, but the service is really cheap in every aspect. You would expect that at a Staybridge but not at a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear FHaber,

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. There are, indeed, several aspects of your stay on which we could have performed better.

I’ve looked into our reservations system. This one is perplexing as I tested the system myself and received a confirmation. I am looking into if there would have been a challenge with outbound emails that day.

Our valet parking team is part of the resident development in which Viceroy Miami resides. I have met with the manager of the company and we are working through ways to advance their response time.

This same goes for our front office, bell stand and housekeeping. We are working diligently with the entire team to review your challenges and we are aiming for better communication across the board.

I have to say that we actually have larger bottles for bathroom amenities in order to be more environmentally conscious but not to save money. I know that many people are turned off by larger bottles but I assure you that they are sanitized. We save literally thousands of plastic bottles a year going into the trash because of this endeavor.

Again, I wish we could have made your stay more enjoyable. I hate hearing that your experience was any less than perfect. We will strive to do better. I hope you will give us another chance to impress you if your travels bring you back to Miami.

Key West, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Our suite was even more beautiful than our suite at the Grand Hyatt in Kauai, fine furniture and art, comfy duvet, excellent ensuite espresso maker for my 4 a.m. business reading. Rooftop restaurant at the hotel, Eos, reminded us of the rooftop restaurant at our boutique hotel in Istanbul, different views but just as spectacular.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
ViceroyMiamiHotel, Gerente geral at Viceroy Miami, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Estamos muito contentes de ver que você teve uma estadia excelente, sentiu-se confortável e congratulou a nossa equipe. Esperamos que quando volte para Miami, escolhe o nosso hotel para a sua proxima visita. Se você não teve a chance nessa estadia, por favor visite o nosso famoso spa na próxima vez que você visitar a Miami. Obridago pelos seus otimos comentários.

Sinceramente,

Gerente Geral

Been to Viceroy Miami? Share your experiences!