“Fabulous and stylish accomodation in Downtown Miami.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save Up To 20%
Ranked #17 of 120 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Fabulous and stylish accomodation in Downtown Miami.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed here twice over the summer and absolutely LOVED the location, the rooms, the view at night, the pool, the spa, access to the club on the penthouse, my bathroom, my bed, the general style... The list goes on.

I think the hotel is only let down by its people sometimes. Except for their very efficient Guest Relations Manager Ms Harrigan, no one else took the time to make me feel at home - despite the length of my stay here. For example, after waiting for ages for concierge, I had to carry my four bags downstairs myself when checking out.

Despite this, I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it highly.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank MissAtilla
ViceroyMiamiHotel, General Manager at Viceroy Miami, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear MissAtilla,

I really appreciate the review. Yes, Colleen is one of our best colleagues. Apparently, we need her at the concierge desk as well! I have spoken to my team about response time…something I’m passionate about. I assure you we are improving every day. I hope to see you back here soon.

Westchester County, NY USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

After reading many many maaaaaany reviews on here of where to stay on a trip to Miami, my friend and I chose the Viceroy. We travelled as 2 women on a girls trip to Miami/South Beach. And although not on the strip of South Beach proper... we were not disappointed. Service was outstanding at Viceroy. From Elvis in the Valet, to the front desk, to the fact they offer "rewards" for going green and decling maid service for a day or more. Eos restaurant and the spa were literally amazing... and that is coming from a jaded NY'er. But one of the key features of this property is the pool and the amazing roof top views. Like nothing else in the WORLD! If you are looking for a different experience then the pastel neon light vibe of South Beach I would highly recommend the Viceroy. You are close enough to the action (short drive or cab over the causeway) but in a complete and different world with a chic city vibe. And unlike other hotels in the area, the Viceroy is on the right side of the drawbridge if you catch my drift, making it feel very safe and upscale. Oh, and did I mention the very cool decor?? Definately worth a stay. But leave the kiddies at home. Only disappointment we had was that the hotel nightclub was closed when we were there, and this was not listed on thier website. When brought to the attention of management they simply apologized and said it would reopen soon after renovations. I would think that with the level of service that they provided elsewhere on the property to us the least they could have done would have been to offer patrons missing out a free cab/shuttle to Mary Brickell Village where other nightclubs were, or a discount on a meal at EOS or the spa or something.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Etiquette101
Dear Etiquette101,

I have to say, your name is excellent! Etiquette is a lost art, I fear. I’m bringing it back to Miami with Viceroy. Thank you for your review. I couldn’t have put it better myself. I am sorry that you didn’t get the opportunity to experience FIFTY Ultra Lounge. We keep things pretty busy up there on the weekends. I do hope you and your girlfriends come back on a Friday night sometime. With all due respect to other nightclubs in Miami, we’re trying to do something a little more…elegant.

I have good news. We have a Mercedes Benz program now. How about going to Mary Brickell village in a shiny sedan next time? It’s too cold in New York right now. Book another trip and come back to see us.

Boca Raton, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Although I hated the mix/match decor, I loved the location of the hotel. Looking outside the 8th floor corner windows you saw the channelized Miami River, a draw bridge, a park below , etc. In the AM it began with people in the park with their dogs, joggers and bikers going over the bridge. Immediately across the river was parked some really gorgeous yachts. Watching the river was always a show from someone on a paddle boat to two tug boats guiding a huge industrial barge and every other kind of boat traffic in between. Stepping out on the balcony, you could see a long stream of city traffic going down Miami's Park Ave, called Brickell with its large office buildings and planted median. Round and round went the little people mover monorail weaving between buildings... back and forth went a blimp over the bay. At night, a 20 story animation of a dancing girl graced the side of the Intercontinental Hotel with a huge neon sign that read, "Welcome to Miami". Put together, I have never seen anything quite like it from one hotel room and I have travel a lot. The room also came with shades and black out blinds so all that glass wouldn't wake you in the morning.

The bathroom is also floor to ceiling windows and I had a nice long evening soak in the luxurious tub watching the Bank of America building turn a different color every few minutes. While brushing my teeth, I looked through the mirror in front of me and could see all the way down the river to the bay and a parked cruise ship. A major flaw however, was the bathroom sink area was so poorly lit that I could not see properly to apply make-up, a REAL turn-off! The staff promptly changed the bulbs when I asked, but the lighting was still not good enough. In general,the room seemed lit for a lounge atmosphere and we had to turn on every light in the room to just get a decent amount in there.

The 15th floor pool deck is probably the most unusual I have ever seen with an entire park of shade trees planted up there and a mammoth pool. The spa exercise room has a panoramic view of South Bay.

The restaurant was lovely with good food and adequate service and also a great view but not very well attended. A Spanish guitarist plays during a happy hour that really made me feel I was back in Spain.

Breakfast in their outdoor 15th floor garden was $85.00 for two, granted we asked for cafe con leche, a Miami Cuban favorite. And although there was another place open for coffee, we didn't see anywhere else for a more moderately priced breakfast. Outside, the hotel were near office buildings. No breakfast cafes there either that we could see.

I was blown away by the hotel's unique setting and loved our corner Jr. Suite. It was #803, high enough up not to be disturbed by the traffic noise down on Brickell. It afforded a unique look at Miami that the average tourist does not see. We were in town for the New World Sympony and the James L. Knight Performing Art Center was only about a 10 minute drive away.

We had dinner one night at TUYO a new downtown Miami hidden restaurant run by the Miami-Dade College Culinary Arts School. Its claim to fame is that the celebrity chef, Norman Van Aken runs the school and trains all the student talent at the restaurant. Norman invented "new world cuisine" at Louie's Backyard in Key West and is maintaining his superior standards at TUYO. Ask for a window table and you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank brh841
Dear brh841,

What a great review! You should be a travel writer. I thank you on behalf of Viceroy as well as the city of Miami. You make us sound so inviting. My marketing director is getting nervous reading this right now. (brh841 writes better than you, by the way. I’m going to find out if she’s available).

Great note on the bathroom. I’ve heard that as well and lighting is something that we are looking into.

We are “sooo very Miami”. I really expect that here. This is a city where you have an opportunity to put your own definition on things. We’re doing that at Viceroy. I’m glad you caught that.

Come back, please. If anything just so I can tease my marketing guy again!

Williamsburg, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I must confess my wife likes this place. The hotel has everything to be a great hotel but...
The wedding band played thump my ceiling half the night.
Fire alarms in the middle of the night. Operator says not ours. But I can hear it.
The room lighting never bright enough to read or pop your zits.
The lamb chops ordered med rare burned at the steak.
The message at the desk never delivered.
The breakfast snafu that took 90 minutes for oatmeal.
The overall design that is so modern it is gothic.
The breakfast hostess who repeated seated elderly women in a booth that was flooded with water. But I digress.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank skfitzp
ViceroyMiamiHotel, General Manager at Viceroy Miami, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear skfitzp:

Well, you definitely don’t mince words. However, we take criticism in any form here at Viceroy Miami. First, I am so happy that your wife likes our hotel. Alas, if I could only stop there.
It sounds as though you had a bit of a challenging stay. I have shared your review with our new outlet manager as well as our new Executive Chef at EOS. Both gentlemen have promised to report back to me on their improvements. I am also looking into the lighting for our bathrooms. That is a comment that has come up a few times. I shall endeavor to positively affect all of the service aspects that you referenced.

As for the “gothic” design, that’s a first. I’ve heard “whimsical”, “chic”, “playful” and “stylish”. I try to emulate the feeling of the hotel with my management approach. I’m not sure my other guests will go for “gothic” but I will think about it.
I do hope you will give us another try. I would love to welcome you and your wife back.

Mountain Brook, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

Been here over an hour and still not in our room, in spite of the fact that the front desk said they would rush the cleaning crew to get the room ready. Several other guests here in the lobby and no one is happy. Ate lunch at EOS waiting for the room and the service was not good. No one on staff really looks like they know what they are doing. Very disappointing so far but will update this review.

Stayed January 2013
3 Thank Kent&Julie
Dear Kent:

My director of sales and marketing as well as my director of operations both updated me on their conversations with you while you and Julie were still with us. It sounds as though they have reconciled matters with you.

I still want to personally apologize for your experience at check-in as well as in EOS. I’m certainly not one to make excuses but it does sound as though we had an entire tour group check-in at once. This same group also joined us at EOS together. Our entire management team was called in to assist in servicing our guests. I’m an optimist so I’m going to look at this as a real test in teamwork in which my staff passed with flying colors. I only wish we could have gotten to you sooner.

Please do send me a follow-up review of the rest of your stay. I am very interested in how we did after reacting to your post.

Congratulations on the Alabama win. I’m not allowed to pick sides in my position (would not go well for acquiring new business out of Indiana). However, I am happy that the game made your trip to Miami complete.

San Francisco, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I was really let down by the Viceroy, mostly because of the service. The front desk was frequently left empty (seriously, empty). And it took a few minutes to reach service by phone.

There was a limited selection for room service, and the food that we did order was pretty mediocre. The staff clearly treat their roles as jobs and not service providers at a luxury hotel. Hence taking almost 45 minutes to bring towels to our room.

The room size was decent (room 808) although the shower was a bit awkward with a handicap bench taking up most the space. Overall I really liked the design and furnishings, and thought the bed was really comfortable (although oddly it didn't come with bedsheets -- just the mattress cover and a duvet-- so we had to actually request sheets).

Also, strangely, you have to request robes to use during your stay. They did not come with the room.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
Dear HalleAndTheWorld:

You are a Senior Contributor on Trip Advisor. That shows me that you take your hotel stays very seriously. Thank you for your feedback. I take your review very seriously as well.
I agree with your points whole-heartedly…all except for one. My staff members really do embrace their roles as service providers at a luxury hotel. I’m dismayed that you did not receive the level of service in which I tend to be uncompromising with my colleagues here. I assure you that I am addressing this.

As for the finer points of the room you occupied, we actually launder the duvet covers after each use. It’s how they are designed. I do appreciate your need for a top sheet. We certainly make those available for our guests. We do make robes available to our guests as well. Your observation on having to request robes has been noted.

You were staying in a handicap-accessible room, hence the shower bench. I have designated several handicap-accessible rooms throughout our inventory, including our suites. It is extremely important to me that all of our guests, including those with special needs, receive appropriate and comfortable accommodations. However, I can see how this may be inconvenient for you. I have a Viceroy Deluxe room which features a sunken tub. It’s wonderful…and it has your name on it the next time you join us.

Again, thank you for your review. I’m most honored that you took the time to write about us. Safe travels to your next adventure, HalleAndTheWorld!

Espoo, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We spent all together 6 nights in this hotel with our family during Christmas time. Since it was Chirtsmas we wanted to share a one bedroom suite together. The suite design was nice and it was very spacious. We had a water view and would recommend that.

The pool was amazing and the service in that area was the best we got. Hotel location was convenient and the free metromover eaysy to access. The hotel didn´t seem crowded and there were no lines to the reception at any time of the day. Valet parking worked very well, although it`s a bit pricy even compared to other hotels.

We travel a lot and have been in quite a many quality hotels. We`ve also been to Miami twice before. We had high expectations about this hotel after reading reviews from other customers. Unfortunately despite the good things mentioned abowe our expectations were not met.

It was a pity that service level in the hotel varied a lot. We felt we couldn`t trust our promblems would be solved. For example room cleaning didn`t work well - we had to wait nearly one hour for extra blankets and pillows and had to call after them twice! Besides that there were stains in sofa, in dining room furniture and even the main bathroom handle was hanging loose. Also some of the restaurant´s dish were worn out. Small things but wouldn´t be expected in a 5 star hotel.

Then there was a big misunderstanding about breakfast. We had booked the suite including breakfast for 4 persons (via third party) and at the hotel we were told that the breakfast was only for 2 persons. We felt we were misled in this situation and the woman in reception then told us that ok, breakfast is included for all 4 of us. However when we went to enjoy our breakfast we were rudely told that it is only for 2 persons after all! And the waitress even asked how many rooms we have and then told that one room, 2 breakfast. We went to solve this situation in reception reception afterwards since we were promised earlier breakfast was ok. We felt we were humiliated and the least the hotel could have done in this situation would have been to organize breakfast as promised before. In stead they argued about this over and over again. As You can see, to us, it wasn`t about the money, it was about the principle and a promise we were made. We still don´t know what went wrong but we assume that the communication between the staff was lacking. The receptionist promised she would contact their manager due to this situation but we never had a contact as promised. This is not a service in a 5 star hotel.

Since it was Chistmas time You would expect the service to be extra good and friendly and Your expectations to be exceeded. Unfortunately our experience was quite the opposite.

Overall it is a nice hotel but definitelyt not a 5 star quality.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Esboare:

I believe in “the principle of things” as well. I agree with you and I am sorry. This is not the way we treat our guests. Being that it was Christmas, a time of celebration where everyone is a little bit nicer to each other, I am disappointed in our method of communication with you. I have addressed this with my team. It appears that we have some processes that need to be reviewed.

Interestingly enough, before I mentioned your review to my other leaders, a few of them actually brought this to my attention. They all read Trip Advisor as well…and they take it to heart. I see this as a very good sign. We all want to continue to improve.

Thank you for your candor. I appreciate you investing your time to tell me of your experience. Please do give us the opportunity to impress you though. I hope you will return. We will be ready.

Laurence Dubey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Miami
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton - Miami/Brickell-Downtown
JW Marriott Marquis Miami
Conrad Miami
#8 of 120 in Miami
4.5 of 5 stars 1,470 reviews

Been to Viceroy Miami? Share your experiences!