“Very nice experience” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Strasbourg, France
“Very nice experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I travelled in a business trip, booked 3 nights, very welcoming staff... I had several special requests, that the management did satisfy. This is very nice of them. Iappreciated the restaurant and the smoking area outside. The pool is impressive, even if I didnt have time to get in. THere is a famous bar on the roof (the "Fifty"). When you are coming from the hotel, you are welcomed. I really recommend this hotel, excellent quality/price ratio.

Room Tip: Rooms on the road side are noosy, due to the road.
Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
ViceroyMiamiHotel, General Manager at Viceroy Miami, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear OzgurAsik:

Thank you so much for the kind words. Turkey is one of the most beautiful places on Earth! I’m quite honored that you would find our hotel to your liking. However, next time you will have to try the pool! It’s the longest infinity pool in the state of Florida. This time of year, is in high demand.

Your room tip is good as well. Many of our rooms face Brickell Avenue, which our guests enjoy for their views over the city. There is a lot of downtown action to see. If you are looking for a small piece of serenity then I can suggest one of our water view suites. These showcase both the Miami River and Biscayne Bay. The views are certainly worth the slight increase in rate. There is something magical about watching the cruise ships sailing out over the bay.

I hope to see your return to us in the future.

Laurence Dubey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Turkish first
Detroit, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

If you want an incredible resort experience while staying within downtown Miami, this is definitely a good pick. I stayed in two different rooms here: one was a standard double room and the other was a suite. Both were incredible! I would say one word of caution is that the double room had an open-view shower, tub and sink. If you are sharing a room but still want your privacy while bathing, you might want to get a suite rather than a double. The room designs were beautiful and very modern and eclectic. I loved the long marble entry way in the double room! The suite was a full one 1-bedroom with a separate living room space and one and a half baths, like a full apartment! The pool was large (I believe there were multiple) and had a very happening daytime scene. I dined at one of the restaurants in the hotel for my birthday dinner, and had an fantastic meal. Just to inform you of the high quality of the hotel...Rihanna was staying there the same time I was.

Room Tip: Choose a suite if you want privacy while bathing because double rooms (at least some) have open air...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Brandon C:

Well, Brandon C, we always make sure we have a celebrity handy for our guests’ birthdays! (If only I were that good.) I am so glad you enjoyed the hotel. Thank you for your review on both of the room types you stayed in. I’ve received many comments about the bathrooms in some of our units and I am pleased to confirm that we are installing privacy screens in the coming week For guests that are thinking of joining us in the future, please feel free to contact us directly (either through reservations or the front desk) and we can review all of our room types with you to determine which accommodation best fits your needs. I want to make sure that each of our guests has the perfect Viceroy Miami experience.

Happy Belated Birthday! Now start thinking of a good excuse to escape Detroit and come back to see us. That pool will be waiting for you!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

I stayed at the Viceroy Hotel in Miami and moved around town in this HOT The Audi R8 Convertible V10 Spyder. Check out Miami Beach at night wow incredible. Now this Hotel, had everything I needed & treated my friends & I like royalty. Love the spacious room & ultra clean bathrooms. American Luxury Auto Rental & Viceroy In Miami are the best in Miami. Guess what, my pals & I all ready have plans to do this every single year! Rock on!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
ViceroyMiamiHotel, General Manager at Viceroy Miami, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Dear Charlie B:

That does sound like an excellent time! I am already partial to the hotel you stayed in but cruising the streets in a hot convertible is the perfect way to see Miami. I hope that you had a chance to hit all the great spots. We are right in the middle of Art Basel and this town is packed with some of the best artists in the word as well as some of the most prolific art collectors I have ever seen. We have a front drive full of convertibles as we speak!
I hope you come back to see us at Viceroy Miami. I’d be interested to see what you drive up in next!

Orlando, Florida, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We booked a one-bedroom suite for three nights over the Thanksgiving weekend. The room was very large, had a usable kitchenette and was pretty much what we expected from the web site. The location on Brickell was great and we walked to good restaurants. Whenever I called the front desk, it was answered promptly and service was provided as requested. And we paid a very reasonable rate at the linger longer promotion.

There was an Illy expresso machine in the kitchette with an assortment of capsules. Very nice touch. There was a small refrigerator and range top (took as call and staff visit to get the breaker turned on for it). Some silverware and limited plates, bowls, and cups.

We found the decor to not be our taste and the odd mix of furniture and colors was not restful. Don't know who did the decorating but it certainly wasn't our style. The bed was very soft - not great for a bad back. The lighting in the bathroom was very inadequate. The bathroom was huge, but it would have been nicer if the shower were larger. Huge soaking tub but who uses that anymore? There was a very beautiful half-bath off the entry area.

Service was ok but I would not put this in a 5 star category. It seems they have very slim staffing - but then it is somewhat a boutique hotel. When we arrived by car there was a lot of confusion and it took a call to the front desk to get our luggage delivered. Nice personnel but I found we had to call for things, including a top sheet for the bed since there was only the duvet and bottom sheet. The room was very clean.

The balcony was very nice but there was no furniture on it (nor for any of the rooms). I think it strange to have such a nice amenity and not be able to enjoy it. Trafffic noise from Brickell is noticeable but did not bother us.

As noted by others, the valet parking is $36 per night. This is probably the norm for the area. Valet service was reasonably timely, but they do ask for (and seem to need)15 minutes notice.

All in all, it was a good value and we would return. But it could be such a nicer experience with different decor, a firmer bed and better lighting.

Room Tip: All rooms will have some traffic exposure. Ask for higher rooms and if possible water view. Water...
Dear gewizz:

Thank you for such a detailed review. I am glad to hear that you joined us over Thanksgiving. We run some really nice specials over that time period. Not many people would think of heading to downtown Miami over the holidays but they soon change their minds when they see just how festive Brickell Avenue is. I think I attended four separate tree lighting ceremonies over that week!

I appreciate your feedback and have shared your comments with my team. We are always looking for ways to improve on our rooms. Your room tip is really the best take-away for our readers. Definitely look into staying in one of our water view rooms. The price is still quite reasonable and the views are excellent. Depending on the room, our guests either overlook Biscayne Bay or the Miami River. Both are beautiful vantage points.

I hope to see your return soon.

Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I suppose the stars must have been aligned properly and luck was on my side during my first visit because my visit to the Viceroy over Thanksgiving was a huge disappointment. It is almost impossible to explain how different this trip felt from the prior one.

First off, as you can see from my prior review, my impressions were quite favorable, and Laurence Dubey appeared to be thankful for my review and invited me to come back so that she could thank me in person. Well, after I decided to travel there for Thanksgiving to visit my mom, I chose to take her up on her offer and called and left a voicemail letting her know that I was arriving (and the dates) and asked if she might have time to say hello during my stay. I heard nothing, so I emailed the concierge with the same information. Nada. I find it inexcusable for any hotel that purports to be a four or five star to leave messages sent to the concierge unanswered. Mind you, I booked the exact same room as I did the previous time, so I was not trying to wrangle some sort of upgrade or anything. Despite receiving no replies, I arrived still trying to be optimistic. At the front desk, I informed two of the clerks (two because I had to change rooms...more about that later) about the situation and asked if she might be available sometime during my stay to say hello. They both said they would inform her. Nothing.

I was genuinely looking forward to meeting Ms. Dubey because I travel to the Miami area every six weeks or so to visit my mother who lives there, and I have been looking for the "Cheers" version of a hotel, i.e. a place where you recognize the hotel staff, they recognize you and know your name, and it feels like a home away from home. That honestly was the only reason I wanted to meet her. However, I guess I was not deemed important enough to say hello to; I could have been a customer for life. Now, I will never stay there again and encourage others not to visit a hotel that has no respect for customer service.

Furthermore, a lot of cracks that I did not notice or ignored during my first visit were made quite apparent this time. I booked a water view room, yet I was allocated a room that had a street view, including a view of about 50 other rooms, so forget any expectation of privacy. That first room was 912. To add insult, the room had a very strong odor of marijuana; I cannot believe this room passed inspection from housekeeping. I very nicely asked to change rooms, and to the credit of the front desk staff, they kindly obliged. I was then allocated room 901. 901 was technically a one-bedroom suite, but the layout was awful. I highly suggest rooms ending in 02 because they have a more square, open layout. Room 901 had a very thin hallway leading to a very cramped-feeling living area. The bedroom seemed bigger, but almost too big given the miniscule proportions of the living area. Also, as I noted in my original review, I find it very off-putting that they have such large balconies yet do not provide even a single piece of furniture for said balcony.

Another huge complaint I have is with the valet service. For $36 a night, plus tips, you would think the valet staff would be a bit more polished. Every single time I had to get my car over the four days was completely irritating. First off, each time (literally), I would have to approach the valet staff and interrupt their conversation because they would not otherwise acknowledge me and would just keep talking. One time, as the lady at the podium shouted to the man who purportedly had my keys, he walked towards me, and without even taking his hands out of his pocket (similar to when someone pretends they have a gun in their pocket), he gestures towards my car with a grunt as if to ask if that is my car. Why yes...it was my car, but it would have been nice to have been asked that. I speak English and Spanish, so he could have actually used words rather than grunting and gesturing. How trashy. I know my rented BMW may not have been a Ferrari, but it was not like I was poorly dressed and driving some broke-down piece of junk.

Lastly, my final complaints deal with service in general. One night, I asked to have ice sent to the room, and it took three phone calls, 45 minutes and arrived in a plastic bag rather than an ice bucket. Not a huge deal, but certainly an inconvenience that one does not expect from a certain calibre of hotel. To be fair, I thought that JC at the front desk handled the situation as diplomatically as possible. Another night, I called the front desk and asked about the Wi-Fi login information. I was told that Wi-Fi was not included (in 2012?!?), but that he would contact me shortly with the information to log in for a fee. Oddly enough, shortly after, I realized that I was connected to a Wi-Fi network and thought it was so nice of him to have taken care of it so quickly. I then looked at the name of the network and saw it was from the Kimpton Epic across the street. I never received a follow-up call from the front desk with the Wi-Fi information. Again, another ball dropped with respect to a very minor request.

In sum, I really really wanted the Viceroy to be "my place in Miami", but unfortunately, my search will have to continue. The hotel in general is still very stylish, and I will not take that away from it, but I am very disappointed in how I was treated by Ms. Dubey and the valet staff, and I would encourage travelers to vote with their wallets and stay elsewhere.

Dear DCTraveler1979:

I am the one to blame and I also share in your disappointment. I have already met with my staff. Albeit my time was dedicated to the operations of the hotel, due to the heavy volume of holiday traffic, there is no excuse for missing you completely while you were with us. I am truly sorry that I was not there to welcome you back. You are certainly in your rights to hold me to task on that.

As for the list of challenges that you detailed, I am at a loss for words. I would love to write a clever management response to describe where we may have been amiss and that all has been corrected. I think at this point though it is better to just admit that we did not meet your expectations. Again, this is very disappointing as we had so many excellent successes over the holiday.

I will be reaching out to you personally on this. Hopefully we can speak very soon.

Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Hotel is amazing. Upscale, classy, sophisticated, clean, pure luxury. Only parking is Valet ($32 a night re-entry come and go). There is a parking garage about two blocks north. The room is like a scene from an upper east side manhattan upscale hotel. Bathroom is spacious, sexy, clean (marble floors). The bed is amazingly big and comfortable. Room makes you feel relaxed and comfortable. The staff was friendly, but though late check out allowed, the "express checkout" took a while (not hotels fault, just a crazy guest holding up the line). The pool, spa, gym, everything about this hotel speaks high class fancy. Room service was great, valet staff very polite. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
ViceroyMiamiHotel, General Manager at Viceroy Miami, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear madinaduf:

What a great a review! Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback. I get quite a few comments about the valet parking. Many of Miami’s downtown hotels must use outsourced valet parking companies, which typically command the pricing. However, I’ve been recently pleased with the performance of ours.

It’s interesting to hear about your express checkout. “Crazy guests” aside, we can always look at streamlining or checkout process.

I see that you are based here in Miami. We have a great Florida Resident discount for you! Hopefully you can take advantage of it and come back and see us.

Dalton, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I love beautiful design and this hotel sure has it! Our room was spacious and amazing with everything we needed. Delicious coffee, great linens, and a large bathroom with a soaking tub.
We ate breakfast at the Eros in the hotel every morning before heading out for the day and it was delicious. We enjoyed talking with Manny (staff) every morning. Very nice. Lobby staff was wonderful, always helpful. The spa is incredible and the pool area is perfect with an amazing view. Getting around Miami was very easy from the Viceroy, as cabs are always waiting at hotel for fares.

-0- complaints and will return.

Room Tip: Even though we were on the street side, we still were not bothered by noise.
Dear Kellie S:

Manny was grinning ear-to-ear when I showed him your comment. Thank you for such kind words. I am so excited to hear that all went well during your stay with us this month. Indeed, Viceroy Miami is right in the center of the action in downtown.

Something to consider on your return – we now have a free trolley system that runs through most of downtown. It’s a great way to get around without waiting on a taxi. Come try it out with me the next time you head to Miami!

Laurence Dubey

Been to Viceroy Miami? Share your experiences!