“Good Rooms, but def some staffing issues” 3 of 5 stars

Mojitos & More, From $279
Ranked #16 of 112 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“Good Rooms, but def some staffing issues”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I develop and own hotels so I may be a bit overcritical, but the front desk is woefully understaffed. My check in took ages and every time I passed the desk there was a line. Also, the front desk staff should be retrained in hospitality as few of them smiled and they really weren't very helpful at all. I called the front desk and asked about the steam and sauna and when I ventured all the way down, found out that they were out of service. They could have informed me and saved me a trip. My travelling companions had the same observations about the staff. They tried to call the front desk a few times and no one would answer at all.

Pool and the gym in this hotel are absolutely world class.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
ViceroyMiamiHotel, General Manager at Viceroy Miami, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Dear psaran,

You are not being overcritical. On the contrary, I really appreciate someone of your experience and background taking the time to write a review. I’m not sure what happened at the front desk but I have scheduled some time with the team to discuss this. I do remember the dates that you were with us so I will see if there were any extenuating circumstances of which I might not have been aware.

I noticed that you are from New York City. We have all been thinking of our customers in the area there. I do hope you, your family and your hotels faired okay during the storm.

Laurence Dubey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Turkish first
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I too was a guest in the hotel on the morning of the infamous water outage. It's true that without water service there is certainly a challenge for both guests and staff. However, I must say that I have a different perspective than most who have written previous reviews. There is absolutely nothing differently that the hotel team could have done to prevent this outage and, as evidenced by their quick response and dutiful attention to resolving the issue as quickly as possible, I commend the team for grace under pressure.

This is a one in a million happenstance that I'm sure will never be repeated again. I for one will be back. This is a great property that is well run and in the absolute best location in Miami.

Commendation to Ms Dubey and team.

R Kennedy.

Room Tip: All are good but for more room pick a one bedroom suite.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear R Kennedy,

I really appreciate the kind words. I also understand some of the other responses that we received about the water main break. Our customers pay good money to have a Viceroy experience. It is always a little discouraging to see people disappointed over something we just cannot control.

However, your review really made me smile. You have a friend here in Miami. Hope to see you back our way again very soon.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

The decor varies between cool and mildly weird, but that's just Miami. What is very cool about this hotel is the pool with a great view of the city and waterways. Outstanding workout facility too. Another nice find is a local restaurant within walking distance that has some of the best chicken of any restaurant (spicy cuban seasoning). Small place that you would never guess is that good, just a block or two away.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear ATL RES 2012,

Your comment about the décor had me laughing! Well, you are probably correct. We keep things whimsical at Viceroy Miami. No conventional corporate feel here!

I know the restaurant you are referring to and it is fantastic. We are stepping up our game here as well. I have hired a new executive chef who brings with him some great creativity – I just tested some items of his new menu last week and I cannot wait for us to share with all of our guests - avocado risotto will be a must try!. If you get the opportunity to return then come dine at EOS. I think you’ll enjoy the new menu.

Porto, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Stayed a couple of nights at the Viceroy. The hotel is located downtown (not by the beach), and you'll find some cool restaurants and nightclubs nearby. The room itself was up to my expectations: comfortable, well decorated and with a view (room on the bay side). Overall I think this property offers a good product and great value for money.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Dear 351pete,

I love reading “great value for the money”. It appears that we are doing our jobs here! Thank you for the review. Considering you came all the way from Portugal to stay with us, I am extremely honored. I hope that you plan a return trip soon although you have so many beautiful vacation spots within your own country – I am personally partial to the Algarve.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Compared to The Ritz, or any other 'old school' type of hotel...of course The Viceroy is a very different experience in some ways, and similar in others.
Similar: Service oriented, beautifully appointed, luxury amenities.
different: Very young vibe and more 'casual', though still luxury service. More casual food and appointments although still fine.
I found the food VERY lacking. I had suoer greasy and 'bar' food calamari...when there a thousand better ways to do it... and in that type of hotel they should have.
The SPA is out of this world. GORGEOUS, though trendy on it 's design...it is still a high "WOW".
The rooms are stunning. Absolutely way above par. My complaint was street side...not the view/bay side and as is usual...and SHOULDN'T be...really low lighting in the bathroom..where.."YES" girls pluck their eyebrows and put on makeup! It was so dark I was getting mascara into my eyebrows!( That's an exaggeration:)

Room Tip: BAY side...for sure ... which has stunning views to Key Biscayne.everything else is perfect.
Dear konstantinamahlia,

Thank you for your review…as well as comparing us to another well-known hotel company that I personally know very well as I had the pleasure of working there for a decade before joining Viceroy. They have some fabulous products too! Viceroy Miami is indeed different, and in my mind, very special, while not always for everyone. You summed it up pretty well.

We are actually in the process of enhancing our menus so please come back to EOS in a couple of months. I think you will be impressed. Our new chef is currently training all cooks on his new menu to make sure that we offer consistent great food for our guests. Next time, I will recommend that we offer you a water view room. They have great vantage points over the Miami River or Biscayne Bay.

Lancaster, PA USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

After having been a guest in hundreds upon hundreds of hotels in my lifetime, I booked a night at the Viceroy Hotel in Miami after hearing much fanfare, and the fact that I was in town on business for a night made it the perfect opportunity to try it out.

From the moment I stepped foot into trendy ground floor hotel lobby, I was met with front desk employees who displayed a tremendous politeness, and an extremely polished sense of customer service and style of greeting the guest. They must have put them through extensive training or something, because each individual I saw at the front desk seemed to genuinely love their job and executed immaculate politeness, etiquete and customer service. They made me feel extremely welcomed and at home. Look for this when you check in...

Room was beautifully appointed, with a cool color scheme and unique pieces (very interesting lamps on the tables and artwork on the walls). I agree with all the previous reviewers who noted the "fun and quirky" vibes, because you most definetly feel that when you walk into the room. For a standard room, the bathroom was absolutely huge and grand! Shower was spacious and the shampoo, body creme, and lotion that were provided were designer and were absolutely luxorious! I believe it was Neil George brand. I have since looked in stores for places to buy that brand of bathe product, but have not been able to find it anywhere.
Bed was extremely comfortable and the room itself was immaculately clean.
Room featured an iPod docking station, cd ply and radio.

Check out the pool - it is the biggest hotel pool I have ever seen, and it seems to be quite the place to hangout it. It is shared with two other buildings, and many people who have residences in the adjoining buildings also hangout there. It also has the biggest "hot tub" I have ever seen - but to call it a "tub" is unfair. It is actually a "hot tub" pool.

World class service, great amentities, and a trendy location with a cool vibe. Highly recommend.

Dear youngtraveldude,

A review like this one reminds me why I decided to be a general manager. Thank you so much for such kind words. I have already shared this with the front desk team and they are beaming with pride right now!

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. You definitely described the pool correctly. It is actually the longest infinity pool in the state of Florida! We are seeing a lot of our new guests come just for that amenity. Come to find out, it is a real hot spot for athletes who are training for the swimming portions of their triathlons.

Please return soon. I would love to welcome you back.

Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I have just stayed there for about a week on a work conference. The location is on the trendy Brickell Ave - the hotel is quite new and shares facilities and towers with what i believe are up market condo's. The room was very comfortable, the staff all very friendly and professional and the Hotel v trendy - there were a few "weird" things, IMHO - there was only one (small) restaurant / bar servicing the entire hotel (other than a coffee shop by the pool) - to get to the fitness center you had to walk a quite long route outsidfer by the (50m) pool - better hope it not raining then, and finally take an elebvator down - the fitness centre, when you get there is fine, BTW!! There is a v trendy nihghtclub on the top (50th) floor. My only gripe was the valet parking charge - $36 a day (!!!) with no option of self parking - i thought that was taking the mickey big time! All in all, i liked it and it worked, so 2 x thumbs up!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
ViceroyMiamiHotel, General Manager at Viceroy Miami, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Dear evelynhouston,

I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay at Viceroy Miami. You are right, we are trendy…and quite proud of it! To add to the fun, we have recently remodeled our fiftieth floor night club: FIFTY Ultra Lounge. It is a “must-see” when exploring the best nightlife spots in Miami.

You have all good points. I may add that the next time you return, we will have created a beautiful new covered patio area to our EOS restaurant which will expand its size quite a bit. I also want to take you to the spa myself. We have an inside walkway! However, when the weather is nice, the pool route is the way to go. Great people watching!

Alas, Viceroy Miami, like many of the hotels in the city must utilize a third party for valet parking. I am happy to state that at least our prices are competitive with most of our neighbors.
Waiting for your return,

Laurence Dubey

Been to Viceroy Miami? Share your experiences!