“Best Hotel In Which I Have Ever Stayed” 5 of 5 stars

Relax More, Pay Less
Ranked #22 of 129 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersBronze level
Lancaster, PA USA
“Best Hotel In Which I Have Ever Stayed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

After having been a guest in hundreds upon hundreds of hotels in my lifetime, I booked a night at the Viceroy Hotel in Miami after hearing much fanfare, and the fact that I was in town on business for a night made it the perfect opportunity to try it out.

From the moment I stepped foot into trendy ground floor hotel lobby, I was met with front desk employees who displayed a tremendous politeness, and an extremely polished sense of customer service and style of greeting the guest. They must have put them through extensive training or something, because each individual I saw at the front desk seemed to genuinely love their job and executed immaculate politeness, etiquete and customer service. They made me feel extremely welcomed and at home. Look for this when you check in...

Room was beautifully appointed, with a cool color scheme and unique pieces (very interesting lamps on the tables and artwork on the walls). I agree with all the previous reviewers who noted the "fun and quirky" vibes, because you most definetly feel that when you walk into the room. For a standard room, the bathroom was absolutely huge and grand! Shower was spacious and the shampoo, body creme, and lotion that were provided were designer and were absolutely luxorious! I believe it was Neil George brand. I have since looked in stores for places to buy that brand of bathe product, but have not been able to find it anywhere.
Bed was extremely comfortable and the room itself was immaculately clean.
Room featured an iPod docking station, cd ply and radio.

Check out the pool - it is the biggest hotel pool I have ever seen, and it seems to be quite the place to hangout it. It is shared with two other buildings, and many people who have residences in the adjoining buildings also hangout there. It also has the biggest "hot tub" I have ever seen - but to call it a "tub" is unfair. It is actually a "hot tub" pool.

World class service, great amentities, and a trendy location with a cool vibe. Highly recommend.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
ViceroyMiamiHotel, General Manager at Viceroy Miami, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Dear youngtraveldude,

A review like this one reminds me why I decided to be a general manager. Thank you so much for such kind words. I have already shared this with the front desk team and they are beaming with pride right now!

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. You definitely described the pool correctly. It is actually the longest infinity pool in the state of Florida! We are seeing a lot of our new guests come just for that amenity. Come to find out, it is a real hot spot for athletes who are training for the swimming portions of their triathlons.

Please return soon. I would love to welcome you back.

Laurence Dubey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Turkish first
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I have just stayed there for about a week on a work conference. The location is on the trendy Brickell Ave - the hotel is quite new and shares facilities and towers with what i believe are up market condo's. The room was very comfortable, the staff all very friendly and professional and the Hotel v trendy - there were a few "weird" things, IMHO - there was only one (small) restaurant / bar servicing the entire hotel (other than a coffee shop by the pool) - to get to the fitness center you had to walk a quite long route outsidfer by the (50m) pool - better hope it not raining then, and finally take an elebvator down - the fitness centre, when you get there is fine, BTW!! There is a v trendy nihghtclub on the top (50th) floor. My only gripe was the valet parking charge - $36 a day (!!!) with no option of self parking - i thought that was taking the mickey big time! All in all, i liked it and it worked, so 2 x thumbs up!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
ViceroyMiamiHotel, General Manager at Viceroy Miami, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Dear evelynhouston,

I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay at Viceroy Miami. You are right, we are trendy…and quite proud of it! To add to the fun, we have recently remodeled our fiftieth floor night club: FIFTY Ultra Lounge. It is a “must-see” when exploring the best nightlife spots in Miami.

You have all good points. I may add that the next time you return, we will have created a beautiful new covered patio area to our EOS restaurant which will expand its size quite a bit. I also want to take you to the spa myself. We have an inside walkway! However, when the weather is nice, the pool route is the way to go. Great people watching!

Alas, Viceroy Miami, like many of the hotels in the city must utilize a third party for valet parking. I am happy to state that at least our prices are competitive with most of our neighbors.
Waiting for your return,

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

This was our first time to Miami and we wanted to stay in a nice, newer hotel that was close to South Beach but at a good rate. Enter the Viceroy. Beautiful room, very chic and excellent service! Less than a $20 cab ride to South Beach, the only downside I saw to the Viceroy was the overnight car parking was $36. Other than that, we had an amazing time and would recommend others to check it out.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear kheavenly,

“Viceroy is Vantastic?” I absolutely want to use that in our next Canadian advertising campaign! Thank you so much for such a great comment. Yes, indeed, South Beach is our most popular spot. Next time you are here, let us point you to some of the other amazing city areas: Mary Brickell Village, Design District, Wynwood…all with their own flavors. I have truly fallen in love with this city and all it has to offer. The best part is: I get to work in the center of it all!

I heard your comment on the valet parking. Parking in the city, in general, can be expensive. Your best solution is to let us map out some routes for you and help with recommendations on when to park and when to use other options. We now have a complimentary trolley that takes visitors all over downtown. It’s on a regular schedule. I personally jump on it quite often when I am out and about.

Please tell your Vancouver friends about us!

Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

At first glance, the Viceroy is an intriguing hotel set in the IconBrickell development. On closer inspection, it’s the lack of amenities common to most hotels that may make you wish you’d stayed somewhere else.

No morning newspapers, no bar soap, no express check-out, no free internet…the list goes on. This hotel has every opportunity to establish itself as a formidable competitor in the downtown Miami market, but misses the mark in so many ways.

What’s good? The 15th floor pool is huge, and almost an infinity-type pool, giving great views. The lobby décor is dramatic and interesting. The restaurant and café are good in terms of food and attentive service. The spa is large, clean, and refreshing, and I had an excellent massage experience there.

What needs attention for me to consider returning? How about hotel “basics,” like making bar soap available to those to prefer not to use a body wash? Making a daily newspaper available (the newspaper contract expired last month, according to a front desk attendant). Providing express check-out so that guests don’t have to queue at the front desk in order to leave. Offering free internet, or at least not charging yet another $14.95 if a guest wants to connect more than one item (i.e. a laptop and an iPad.)

My colleague termed the décor “Chinese Ikea,” and that pretty much nails it. Lots of black and green marble everywhere, coral-colored leatherette chairs, and a lot of black lattice and mirrors in the room. I’m not sure to whom the décor would appeal, but I’ve never seen anything quite like it. There are a microwave and refrigerator in the room, the a/c worked fine, the high-speed internet worked but kicked me off every couple of hours, and there was plenty of hot water for showers. The bed is OK.

The most annoying aspect of this visit was the construction at the pool. Workers were using drills and saws throughout the day during our visit, so instead of a relaxing time at the pool, we had to tolerate a construction site. It would have been good for the hotel to tell us in advance of our visit, so we could switch dates or make other hotel arrangements.

The rooms on the front of the hotel face a major street and look out at other tall buildings, so be sure to request a room away from the front of the hotel for a better view and to avoid the noise.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing Brickell Avenue to escape street noise and an uninteresting view of other buildin...
Dear Louis59,

I appreciate your feedback. It is important that all aspects of a hotel stay be voiced…and your comments are fair.

I have to admit that the bar soap observance is the first I’ve heard. We are following more green initiatives these days so we have opted for more environmentally-friendly alternatives with some of our hotel amenities.

As for the newspapers, I’ve addressed with my front desk team. I assure you, we would not allow something as basic as newspaper service to go unattended. That has been improved.
You are correct about the pool deck. We’ve been working fast and furiously to remodel the pool area in order to improve the overall look and feel. The finished product shall be superb.
Viceroy Miami is a Kelly Wearstler-designed hotel. Indeed, the interiors are distinctly different from the standard downtown corporate look. I believe it makes us unique. In Miami, unique really is the theme. It’s one of the best aspects of our city. You get a variety of flavors and experiences every time you visit.

I hope to welcome you back sometime and show you all that we have done.

Alton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I stayed here for three nights on a business trip. The room was comfortable and stylish with a large bed, small balcony and a kitchenette. Bathroom was huge (but no privacy as there is limited wall between bathroom and bedroom). Large TV. Nice, friendly, welcoming staff.

Food and drink is very expensive, but very tasty. Service is very good.

Free wi-fi was included in my room, however it rarely worked. It usually only worked if I was standing in one spot in the room, on one leg, with my right arm in the air, and my tongue sticking out...

On the day of checkout the hotel had no water. I was catching a flight that night and was unable to shower, use the bathroom, make a coffee, etc. The restaurant was also closed. I don't think this is the first time the hotel has had this sort of issue. I stored my luggage and went out for the day. When I came back the water had apparently just come back on. The front desk very kindly agreed to allow me temporary access to a room, so that I could shower and clean etc. i'm very grateful to them for this, but they really need to get a back-up plan. They should not be having these issues with water!

Dear mcjools,

Timing is everything I am afraid. On the particular day that you are referring to, our entire development suffered a water main break. I can assure you, that it was the first time we have had that issue. I know this because it was my first time as a hotel general manager that I had to trade-in my suit for a pair of jeans and a t-shirt to assist the engineering team in getting the water back online to all the rooms. I prefer a more elegant disposition but we are prepared to do most anything to preserve the best guest experience we can!

I am happy to tell you that we are improving our internet and television programming. The next time you come, there will be no more standing on one leg or sticking your tongue out.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Top Notch Luxury Hotel !!!!! First Class Amenities, Personnel, Service, and location. The entire hotel is very upscale, with very modern, very luxurious. All of my expectations were exceeded. The room was crisp and clean, the view from my balcony was stunning. The Pool area on the 15th floor was AMAZING and HUGE. The views of Biscayne Bay, Brickell Key, and Miami River are at one end of the massive pool deck, with plenty of "day beds" and lounge chairs, with restaurant and Live DJ at the other end. The SPA and fitness areas are Incredible, with amazing views in every location. There is even a fantastic club "Fifty", located on the 50th floor, with views of the city and bay. Think they have a great pool party on the weekends. If your considering staying on Brickell, this is the only place to stay.

Dear Slayridez06,

Wow! What a fantastic comment. Thank you so much!

I noticed that you joined us from Ft. Lauderdale. Thank you for driving down to stay with us. A lot of Floridians don’t realize that some of the best vacation spots are in their own backyards. Viceroy Miami has a really nice Florida Resident discount for this one reason. I hope you come back and take advantage of it.

Florida City, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

The hotel room was very nice. We checked in the first night, everything was fine except there is a lot of dust in the room. Everything was so wrong the next day. At 8 am there was No Water in the hotel!!! It was like the Twilight Zone.. We were told there is something wrong with the water main, then comes no air conditioning. When it was 6 o'clock pm, the water came back but there is no hot water until 9 pm !!!!! A beautiful hotel like this must have an emergency plan, like a water tank? There is nothing more horrible than not being able to take a shower, flush the toilet etc.......and then no hot water!!! Ugh...How can you enjoy luxury when water is so basic?

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Samantha S,

I was afraid that the water challenge would come up a few times on Trip Advisor. The hotel was part of a water main break that affected the entire development here. Unfortunately, there is no possible back-up plan for an occurrence like this. It’s simply not feasible to store enough water to run a large city hotel and residence for more than 3000 people.

As a general manager, one is never fully prepared to deal with something as unlikely as this. However, I am very proud of my entire management team who dropped what they were doing and jumped in, plumber’s wrenches in-hand, to assist in getting all rooms back on-line as soon as the water was running again.

I do hope that you will return under better circumstances. We have a lovely hotel and our Viceroy colleagues would leap at the opportunity to welcome you back.

Laurence Dubey

Been to Viceroy Miami? Share your experiences!