“Cool Santa Monica location” 4 of 5 stars

Relax More, Pay Less
Ranked #22 of 129 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersBronze level
Toronto
“Cool Santa Monica location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012 via mobile

The Viceroy is a cool, modern hotel that really makes you feel welcome. They are pet friendly however you will be chRged extra per night and you cannot leave the dog in the room unattended nor bring him into the pool area. Our dog was a tiny 3lb poodle who is happy to hang out in his little carrier.... Not allowed! So the location is good and you have the convenience of being able to sleep in your room with your pet, but cannot go anywhere in the hotel with the pet nor leave it in the room. The pool area is beautiful, very boutique hotel style wise. They are right across te rod from Shutters!

• Stayed July 2012
ViceroyMiamiHotel, General Manager at Viceroy Miami, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear Mansole,

Thanks for wonderful recommendation about Viceroy Santa Monica. I will definitely share your comments with them so that they may reach out to you.

Laurence Dubey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

This was my fourth stay at the hotel. All have been great. Staff is very courteous and helpful. Capital Grill across the street is a great place to eat. Room was on the street side, but very little noise.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Terry B,

For stay number five, you simply must try one of our water view rooms! They all have excellent vantage points overlooking the Miami River or Biscayne Bay. I am so glad you enjoy our hotel. It’s really nice to hear we’ve made a friend like you. Tell your friends!

Please inquire about our Stash Reward program. You are with us quite a lot and it’s a great way to earn some free stays here or at some other unique independent hotels around the country.

Terry B, I hope I can meet you the next time you are with us.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I chose the Viceroy Hotel because it was not far from the finish line of the Miami Marathon. This was confirmed to be a good choice, as I limped back to the hotel after 26.2 miles :) ...and it really wasn't too far away!

I chose to go to Miami with friends, so if you do this, and stay at the Viceroy, be aware that they have one of those "open bathroom" floor plans...however, this was quickly and easily taken care of by our bellhop, who hung a sheet over the opening for us. Apparently, this happens often :)

Room service had everything - although they weren't on the menu, we hoped that the kitchen might have some bananas the night before the marathon - and they did!!! (At a reasonable price, too, I must say.) In five minutes after calling room service, we had 3 perfect-looking bananas in our room. Amazing.

The hotel restaurant was good, too. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner were quite all good. The view from the restaurant is wonderful.

And the spa. You *must* visit the spa. I can't say enough good things about the spa. Bring your swimsuit...there is a pool, steam room, all of that. My massage was fantastic.

Room Tip: Try and get a room not facing the street. Traffic noise can be a bit of an issue, if one isn't...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Dear EmilieCPA,

Congratulations on such an accomplishment! I’ve said I would run that marathon for years, but, alas, I have to run the hotel instead. Viceroy Miami definitely is one of the better locations for the ING.

We are currently in the process of installing privacy shades in our guest bathrooms. You will love the new look in the rooms when you return.

You are certainly correct about the spa. It’s a “must” after a run like that.

See you at the finish line next year!

Belize City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

We stayed three nights and loved our stay. The service was excellent and the staff always courteous; the room more than comfortable - especially the bed; the food excellent and the spa to die for. Although our room faced the street, there was no traffic noise. We definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Ruth D,

I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay so much! As the general manager, I try and stay in the hotel often so I can personally survey all that our guests experience. I don’t know which I like better, the beds or the food in EOS. Both are amazing. I’m especially proud of our culinary team here. They keep our menus fresh, fun and “very Miami”.

Next time you join us, ask for one of our water view rooms. The price is very reasonable for the upgrade and they have excellent views overlooking either the Miami River or Biscayne Bay.
We appreciate your recommendation and please spread the word!

Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

The Viceroy staff were friendly and very courteous but the room service left a bad taste in my mouth (literally) . We ordered room service around 3a one morning and when the fries came we realized they were old fries that some one had re-fried!!! They were dark brown, hollow and smelled like burnt toast. We quickly sent them back and another batch was brought to us 15 min later. I understand it was very early in the morning but I am super disappointed that a 5 star hotel would skimp on something as simple as taking the time to fry up a new fresh batch of truffle fries. Needless to say we decided against ordering room service for the rest of our stay. The bed was hard, flat and uncomfortable. I was really looking forward to staying at this hotel and ended up being somewhat disappointed.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear TBarrr,

It is disappointing to read about your in room dining experience. I have shared your comments with our Restaurant Manager and have asked that he ensures all dishes are thoroughly inspected before leaving the kitchen.

Nevertheless, it was wonderful to hear that overall our colleagues were friendly and very courteous throughout your entire stay.

Thanks for sharing and we hope to see you again soon.

Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Viceroy for 2 nights last week and had a really nice stay. The staff and concierge were outstanding. I contacted the hotel a few weeks in advance to let them know that we were celebrating a birthday and they delivered prosecco and chocolate covered strawberries to the room when we arrived, along wish a hand written card from all of the reception staff.
The only downsides of this hotel are:
a) only part of the Viceroy is actually a hotel. The rest of it is apartments and residences. This means that the pool deck was full of residents and families who live in the apartments.
b) There is no poolside drinks service and no real atmosphere. We arrived at the hotel hot and bothered and really wanted a cocktail by the pool but this isn't really the place for that.
c) the bathroom wall is open into the bedroom so you have full view of the person on the toilet at all times! I have no problem with open bathrooms usually but you really need a closed cubicle for the toilet.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as high as possible for a good view
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear mayaogorzalek,

First , I want to wish you a belated but very warm “Happy Birthday”! I am so glad that you enjoyed the amenity we sent you.

I saw the pool deck during your stay and have to admit we were extremely busy. The Viceroy Miami pool, besides being the longest in the state of Florida, is also one of the most popular ones! You’ll be glad to know that we have now instituted poolside serving stations and are increasing our bar service on the deck. So you won’t be waiting when you come back.

As for our guest rooms, I completely understand and feel the same way. That is why I have approved the installation of privacy shades in our guest bathrooms. A great added feature.
We look forward to seeing you again next year – hopefully on your birthday.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I stayed here for a few days on work and business. There are a few things you need to consider before booking....

The good:
- mirta at reception was great she helped us get practically everywhere
- fairly new and fairly cool hotel
- breakfast staff and cafe staff are friendly

The bad:
-the wait for your car is long, even if you call 15-30 mins in advance. You must valet and the valet works with the hotel, restaurant, and club.
- noise: I don't mind my fair share of club music but strikers protesting at the top of their lungs at 8am, no thank you.
- the pool area is great but their food and drink selection is not. If I'm somewhere hot sometimes I like to lounge by the pool, swim, have drinks, hot food....but here there is just a small cafe and one or no waiters covering the whole pool area.

After I booked I noticed this hotel on a lot of deal sites. I think next time I'll stop being such a cheapo and go to the w Miami beach....

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
ViceroyMiamiHotel, General Manager at Viceroy Miami, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
stacey212,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay

We are pleased that Mirta was able to assist you in easily navigating through Miami during your stay. However, I am disappointed to learn of your pool and valet parking experience. This is certainly not indicative of the standards that we pride ourselves on at Viceroy Miami. I have shared your candid feedback in great detail with our Valet and Food & Beverage teams and asked that they review their processes to ensure guest satisfaction.

The Brickell area is growing daily and has become an epicenter in Miami. Along with businesses, the area has developed with the addition of condominiums, restaurants and several entertainment options. We have been working with area officials to monitor our surroundings to ensure that local noise ordinances are being upheld. Nevertheless, we appreciate your valuable comments.

We hope that when your travels bring you back to Miami, you would consider giving us the opportunity to stay with us once again.

Best Regards,
Laurence Dubey

Been to Viceroy Miami? Share your experiences!