“Major confusion with The Residences at Icon Brickell” 3 of 5 stars

Relax More, Pay Less
Ranked #21 of 129 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersBronze level
Barbados
“Major confusion with The Residences at Icon Brickell”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

My husband and I arranged to meet friends in Miami; both our friends and we booked through Booking.com for our stay Feb 17-21, 2012. Our friends and we received a confirmation saying we were staying at The Residences at Icon Brickell by Elite City at 485 Brickell Avenue.

We arrived an hour or so before our friends. It was not easy to find The Residences at Icon Brickell as the number "385 is very discreet" and we never did see any sign saying the name of the place. We unloaded our car (no one came to help us) and approached what we thought was a check-in desk only to be told we should go to the Viceroy Hotel around the corner. Huh? I wheeled my bag and my husband drove to the Viceroy and indeed they did have our reservation. The Viceroy Hotel also didn't have a sign ... !

Our friends arrived and we met them outside The Residences at Icon Brickell, 385 Brickell Avenue. We told them of the mistake and they drove around the corner to check in at Viceroy. However, THEIR reservation actually WAS at The Residences at Icon Brickell and they were sent there by the staff at the front desk of the Viceroy, which seemed not to give a care in the world about our confused reservations.

Once we were settled into our respective accommodations we compared our digs. At the Viceroy, my husband and I had a well-appointed hotel room that was quite luxurious. I didn't like that they wanted to charge me for the coffee they provided but which I made myself (!!) but otherwise the room was lovely and the bathroom just beautiful with a gorgeous tub. We had maid service daily and wi-fi, as you'd expect at a hotel.

The Residences at Icon Brickell where our friends stayed was a bare-boned condo with a full kitchen but very few pots and pans. Oddly, there was no towel rack in the bathroom and no tub. There was no one to call for help, either. Their rental had a terrific vista but the place itself took minimalism to a ridiculous extreme. There was no maid service, no wi-fi, no extras at all.

I would have given the Viceroy four stars instead of three, knocking one star off for the aloof staff, but the confusion with check-in after a long day of travel was frustrating and that's why I knocked two stars off.

There are so many wonderful places to stay in Miami; we won't be staying at Viceroy Miami again -- and certainly not at The Residences at Icon Brickell. To any readers of this who book either .. good luck finding them!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
ViceroyMiamiHotel, General Manager at Viceroy Miami, responded to this review, April 5, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed the accommodations at Viceroy Miami and will share your compliments to our Director of Housekeeping and his team.

It was unfortunate to learn of the miscommunication upon check in at our hotel. Our hotel is located at 485 Brickell Avenue. While there are signs at the top entrance of the building listing the various components of Icon Brickell such as “Viceroy Hotel”, “Club 50” and “Viceroy Residences”, we understand how this might be confusing to any traveler coming here for the first time and we are looking at various options to rectify this situation.

Note that some of the Residents at Icon Brickell do rent their own units directly to travelers – a business which is not in any way associated with Viceroy Miami and Viceroy Residences - and unfortunately, we do not have any control over the look and feel of those units or in the reservation process.

We are working towards a resolution so that they are no longer able to use the same booking engines as Viceroy Miami and borrow our name which has been confusing to some travelers in the past and caused unfortunate disappointments.

Additionally, after thoroughly reviewing your comments, we have reviewed the arrival process with our front office team in order to be more understanding and helpful to all guests in this particular situation.

This missed opportunity to give you an enjoyable experience with us is something that we could never abide by. I sincerely hope that this incident has not marred your overall impression of Viceroy Miami.

I kindly ask you to contact me directly when your travels next bring you to Miami so that I may personally handle your arrangements.

Laurence Dubey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Turkish first
Dover, Delaware, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

The Hotel was absolutely wonderful. I stayed for two nights and the rooms are very clean, modern, and super Large!!!! My only complaint was billing!!!!! The Accounts receivable representative was not understanding and had a "I am right, and your wrong" kind of attitude. I had to speak with her supervisor to get me issue resolved, after the Hotel put another $300 hold on my credit card after I had checked out. I guess they don't know how to release a hold before they run a whole other transaction!!!!! Finally got it straight after 4 messages, on the phone for an hour, and then next day leaving 3 additional messages and then speaking with her supervisor!!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
ViceroyMiamiHotel, General Manager at Viceroy Miami, responded to this review, March 26, 2012
Dear Guest,

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the accommodations and will share your compliments to our Director of Housekeeping and his team.

Please accept my most sincere apologies for the frustration you received through the billing process. This is certainly not indicative of the standards we pride ourselves on at Viceroy Miami. It was indeed disappointing to learn that this issue took longer than expected to be resolved.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back soon and remain at your service.

Stamford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

From the incredible decor, the well-appointed room, surreal spa and friendly front desk, spa, and restaurant staff this hotel provided me with the most appealing and unforgettable experience I've had at a hotel to date. Check-in was fast, easy and welcoming. Our bell hop not only took our luggage to our room, but told us all about the hotel and surrounding area. The room was drop-dead gorgeous. The sheets on the bed were meticulously pressed and the bed itself was a cloud from heaven above. Bathroom was HUGE with double sink, big soaking tub and shower stall. The toiletries were spa quality and smelled amazing. I wanted to take a bottle home! Junior Suite room was outfitted with a small kitchenette and Illy espresso machine. Best mini bar selection I've ever seen. Club 50 at the roof top was hopping and happening. The pool was like being at a resort/beach all wrapped in one. I was so jealous of the people who live in residences on the property. I would come back to the Viceroy in a heartbeat!

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback about your recent stay with us and for your generous compliments of our hotel amenities, spacious rooms, tremendous service and amazing hotel décor. We are truly pleased that we exceeded your expectations. We pride ourselves in ensuring that our guests experience is seamless and we are proud to have achieved this with you.

I was delighted to hear that our Infinity pool overall exceeded your expectations. We thank you for your recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back soon. In the interim, we remain at your service.

Zurich, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

I stayed at this hotel last Friday night (9 March, 2012) and had a very disappointing experience with my stay. We were due to stay two nights but after receiving such poor, and rude, service we checked out early and instead stayed at the Mandarin Oriental on Saturday - which was fabulous.

At the request of the front desk manager, I lodged a complaint with the hotel's security team related to an allergic reaction that I believe was caused by MSG or another flavour additive in the room service food on Friday night (tagliatelle bolognese). My issue was not so much with the allergic reaction - it happens, but more with the way I was spoken to and made to feel. I was told someone would call or email me to let me know the outcome of the 'investigation' and whether it was in fact the food that caused my reaction, as suspected, I have not heard anything in response.

Yes, the rooms and amenities are lovely but I have never been so poorly treated at what is meant to be a luxury hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
ViceroyMiamiHotel, General Manager at Viceroy Miami, responded to this review, March 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

We sincerely appreciate the time you invested in detailing your experience at Viceroy Miami.

I was truly disappointed to learn that the level of service you received did not exceed your expectations. We pride ourselves in ensuring that our guests’ experience is seamless and we clearly did not achieve this with you. I personally followed up with our Executive Chef, who confirmed that there were no MSG additives in your meal that was cooked that day: we do not use MSG in the dishes prepared at Eos restaurant.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience and frustration you experienced and forgive us for our shortcomings. I hope these incidents have not marred your overall impression of Viceroy Miami.

I kindly request that you contact me directly when your travels next bring you to Miami so that I may personally handle your arrangements. In the meantime, we remain at your service and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

We stayed at the Viceroy on March, 3rd 2012 for our wedding day, and had a terrible experience.
First of all, the layout on the hotel's website misleads the guests. My wife did the wedding preparation there and she had the makeup artist, stylist and photographers there also. We were counting that there will be a 1/2 bath in the "one bedroom suite", but this was non existent in room 2001. That was the main reason we specifically booked a "one bedroom suite", because it had 2 bathrooms making it very uncomfortable to share it.
She ordered food that took 50 minutes to get to the room! however, the food was really good.
The mini bar is on the hotel's website but was also non existent in that room.
The valet parking took 25 minutes to bring the car and they were very rude, except for the cashier who was the only one helpful! My wife was late for the ceremony thanks to the terrible valet service.
The room was nothing impressive, the "blackouts" were cheap plastic curtains and did not cover at all. We had to leave in a hurry from that room because we couldn't sleep well.
There were not enough towels in the room, and in the morning we had to order extra towels.
Also, there were no bathrobes, and on the website clearly says "Sferra linens and robes custom designed by Kelly Wearstler"
On the hotel's website it says "One-Bedroom Suites offer modern sophistication accented by a timeless East Asian sensibility." but the decor was horrible (IKEA like), not Asian at all!
The view was partial ocean view and we booked a "One Bedroom Water View Suite"
We live on Brickell and that "one bedroom suite" we stayed at The Viceroy ws a cheap imitation from the apartment we live in, so we should have stayed at our place instead of paying $540 per night for a mediocre room and service.
When we checked out the valet, of course, took about 30 minutes to bring our car and we were at the lobby waiting for that long.
 This was our first time at the Viceroy hotel and we were wrong for choosing this hotel for our wedding night!
Very unpleasant experience!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the opportunity to share with us your feedback from your recent stay at Viceroy Miami.

Allow me to congratulate you on your very special celebration and wish you many years of happiness!

I was truly disappointed to hear that the level of service received did not overall exceed your expectations. We pride ourselves in ensuring that our guests’ experience is seamless and we clearly did not achieve this standard with you.

For many of our wedding guests, we often take the opportunity to give a complimentary upgrade to some of our largest accommodations that allow more space for the bride and groom to prepare for that very special event.

It was unfortunate to learn that the unique decor of the Residences did not meet your expectations. We have received your valuable comments in the spirit intended and sincerely appreciate your most candid feedback.

I was truly disheartened to learn that we failed to exceed your expectations during your room service experience, with regards to the timeliness of delivery. I have shared your thoughts with the Food and Beverage Leadership team to prevent further guest dissatisfaction.

It was also upsetting to hear of your experience with our valet parking services. This is certainly not indicative of the standards that we pride ourselves on. I have also shared your honest feedback in great detail with our entire Valet leadership team and asked that they review their processes to increase guest satisfaction.

Please accept my most sincere apologies for these shortcomings. May I kindly request, if your travels next take you to Miami, that you contact me personally to handle your arrangements.

In the interim, we remain at your service and look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

I arrived to the Viceroy Hotel on a tuesday morning, to celebrate my sisters engagement! The room was very spacious and perfect for our 4 night stay! The hotel is beautiful and exceed all of our expectations! one down side was the Valet which seemed to take forever every time we would go down to look for our car, a bit pricey which i don't mind as long as they would not take such a long time! Saturday night we decided to explore their club50. It was packed, and the music was very entertaining. We got a bottle outside, and we told our server we were celebrating my sisters engagement and she was son point of our table the whole night. You could tell she was busy,and the Club was slammed but her and her backwaiter always managed to keep an eye on us. A fight broke in front of us and it was a little uncomfortable, as there was not much security around, thank God our server (Nathalie) noticed and got a security guard and even the cops came after.The front desk and staff were extremely friendly, great place to vacation.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
ViceroyMiamiHotel, General Manager at Viceroy Miami, responded to this review, March 20, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback about your stay with us and for your generous compliments of our spacious rooms, tremendous service and amazing hotel décor. We are truly pleased that we exceeded your expectations. We pride ourselves in ensuring that our guests experience is seamless and we are proud to have achieved this with you.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconveniences you may have experienced during your stay with regards to our valet service. I assure you that we are working hard with the Valet Director to rectify this situation.

It was unfortunate to learn about your experience at Club50. Please rest assure, this is not indicative of the standards we pride ourselves on. I was delighted to hear however, that Nathalie provided exceptional service for you and your friends, and managed to turn around such an uncomfortable situation.

Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

Loved the Viceroy hotel. Beautiful Hotel, Great Staff! Really liked the room it was elegant and comfortable. Loved the Pool/Spa area, Beautiful view, not too loud nice quiet and relaxing. Will definitely return to Viceroy for a future get away.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback about your stay with us in February and for your generous compliments of our spacious rooms, tremendous service and amazing hotel décor. We are truly pleased that we exceeded your expectations. We pride ourselves in ensuring that our guests experience is seamless and we are proud to have achieved this with you.

Laurence Dubey

Been to Viceroy Miami? Share your experiences!