“Love. Love. Love this hotel and spa!” 5 of 5 stars

Breakfast Bliss
Ranked #23 of 129 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“Love. Love. Love this hotel and spa!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011 via mobile

I have stayed at the Viceroy a total of 3 times and everytime I have absolutely loved this hotel and spa. Excellent service throughout!

• Stayed April 2011
ViceroyMiami, Hotel Manager at Viceroy Miami, responded to this review, April 8, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your most generous feedback from your recent stay with us.

I was delighted that your return visit with us exceeded your expectations. I was truly pleased that our colleagues were courteous and intuitive; raising the bar for excellent, luxury service.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Turkish first
San Jose, Costa Rica
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

a tweet from travel recommended the Viceroy Hotel, in Brickell Ave. Miami as a top world hotel, so I tried it! Never in my 50 years of traveling have I encountered such a disaster! We arrived at 2am and were shown into an empty condo unit, which had nothing but 3 beds in it and no TV or phones in the rooms. We refused to accept that and were switched to another one where the phone, TV, internet did not work. Next day my daughter's bed collapsed, bathroom stopped up, bed had no bottom sheet and pillows had no pillowcases. No room service menu, phone had no international calling possibilities, and no direct link to hotel, and never received incoming calls. Some shopping we left with valet took 2 hours to arrive in room. To top it all today they lost our car in valet parking and finally found it after 2 hours and then could not find the car keys for another 2 hours so day was lost cause. The only positive note is the personnel was very nice. For instance when we could not let our family know we had arrived as no phones worked at 2AM, a maintenance man named Boris lent us his personal cell phone to make an international call and refused a tip.The hotel had to rent another car for us and promised to pay for & return it, we will see if that pans out. This was Kindly promised by Jose Rico Arango, Brianna Osterburge & Patrick Dunkley.

Room Tip: Don't come here
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2011

This place is simply amazing. We truly enjoyed every thing about this hotel and will return!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
ViceroyMiami, Hotel Manager at Viceroy Miami, responded to this review, April 4, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your most generous and encouraging feedback from your recent stay with us. We were truly delighted that we succeeded in creating an amazing experience and that you have become such a fan of our service and amenities.

We sincerely appreciate your recognition and recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back soon. In the interim, we remain at your service.

Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

We stayed at the Viceroy Hotel Miami for three nights during our honeymoon in January 2011.

Like others, we also liked the décor and the marble finish in the rooms.

The staff at the front desk were attentive and helpful, when something went wrong (the latch on the door when we arrived) it was fixed straight away and the hotel kindly gave us a complementary bottle of honeymoon champagne and chocolate covered strawberries on arrival. They were very helpful giving directions on places to go and in renting a car. We also had the $15 breakfast on the last morning which was very filling with a good selection

As a tourist, the main problem with the Viceroy was the location - Downtown is just in the middle of nowhere. Good for the Cuban sector or perhaps if you have business nearby, but that’s about it. Nowhere near South Beach. On our way back through Miami 10 days later we stayed in Coconut Grove, which had a nice, neighbourly feel. If we ever return to Miami we will stay either in Coconut Grove or closer to South Beach.

We also concur with the Bar 50 comments of an earlier traveller - $17 for a so-so cocktail in a plastic glass is a bit over the top (bad), and it was a bit of a hassle to get inside in the first place (free entry if you are staying there but we went to the front of the queue then they said “No armband so you can’t get in” (bad) so we walked away, but the porter saw what happened, apologised and put us back at the front of the line (good) but when we got upstairs all of the lounge spots were reserved (bad), but we were allowed to sit in them for a drink “until the others come” (good but awkward) which was nice but made you feel like an intruder. It all felt a bit cliquey.

Also, when we returned the rental car at the end of the day, there was no place nearby to park it so we had to valet park it under the hotel at the full valet parking rate. Cheap car rental which was good but a discount on the parking seeing as we got it through the hotel would have been nice.

All up it was a nice place in a nowhere location with good service, but you just got the sense that things were a little mixed up – like that it was a cross between high class apartments, a nightclub and a hotel and was unsure which was most important. But our overall travel experience there was positive, and the service was very good, so we would be happy to recommend this to other travellers.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
ViceroyMiami, Hotel Manager at Viceroy Miami, responded to this review, April 1, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your most generous feedback, we are truly humbled by your recommendation. We pride ourselves in providing exceptional levels of personalized guest service and I am proud to learn that our colleagues were successful in achieving this with you.

I have shared your comments regarding valet parking with Mr. Rene Roman, Director of Rooms so that we may look into the possibility of your suggestion. I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed our innovative culinary offerings. In my follow up with Mr. Albert Charbonneau, Director of Food & Beverage and Mr. Jose Pastrana, Club 50 Manager I have asked that they review our cocktail offerings as well as provide additional training to further improve the services and courtesies we extend to our guests.

For your one year anniversary, please allow me to recommend our sister property, The Tides South Beach. The Tides is conveniently located on Ocean Drive and steps away from and all of the South Beach hot spots including restaurants, clubs and bars. Kindly, please call me when your travel plans next bring you to Miami so that I may personally take care of your arrangements. In the interim, we remain at your service.

Caracas, Venezuela
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

I´ve stayed in this hotel 3 times and I really don´t know why is not the number 1 in Miami. I traveled on February with my girlfriend and wanted to give a chance to the EPIC because of the awesome reviews here. I booked 4 nights and I stayed only one. For me the EPIC is a great hotel but waaaay overranked. Then changed to the Viceroy (third stay) and it keeps getting better. Friendly staff (I want to give special thanks to Jose for the upgrade), awesome rooms, stunning waterviews from the one bedroom suites, fast wifi, the pool is AWESOME. It´s a hotel with style. The only thing I think could be better is the lobby size. I liked the decoration so much that I searched who did it (Kelly Wearstler) and I was very impressed with the other projects she did. I have not used the spa but a friend told me it´s the best in Miami.

I have a trip to Miami on April 8 and already made my reservation at the Viceroy.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
ViceroyMiami, Hotel Manager at Viceroy Miami, responded to this review, March 24, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your generous compliments regarding your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you are a fan of Kelly Wearstler’s design and found our décor and guest accommodations tastefully appointed.

We are truly pleased that we succeeded in providing you with an outstanding experience from our expansive pool terrace to the stunning vistas seen from our Viceroy One Bedroom Suites. We pride ourselves in providing exceptional levels of guest service and are delighted that our colleagues, particularly, Mr. Jose Arango, Lifestyle Assistant Supervisor were successful in achieving this with you.

We sincerely appreciate your recognition as the number 1 hotel in Miami and look forward to welcoming you back this April. Kindly, please call me if I may be of any personal assistance during your stay; in the interim, we remain at your service.

Florianopolis, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

This hotel is the best one I have stayed in south Florida to date. The renovated double queen bed rooms are bsolutely amazing.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
ViceroyMiami, Hotel Manager at Viceroy Miami, responded to this review, March 23, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your high praise and most generous feedback from your recent stay with us. We were truly delighted that we succeeded in providing you with an outstanding experience from our inspiring design to our unique guest amenities. We were pleased to learn that our tastefully appointed Viceroy Double exceeded your expectations and that your time with us was seamless.

We are truly humbled by your tremendous accolade of being recognized as the best hotel you have visited in South Florida. We look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, we remain at your service.

GardeniaPalm
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2011

I was expecting great things out of Viceroy. Between their website, and Trip Advisor reviews, the bar was set pretty high.

I arrived early, around 11:00 AM which I knew was not check in time. My room was not ready which was obviously fine, so they took my bags and said they would call me when the room was ready.

I took a walk around Brickell Key and then Brickell. About two hours later the room was ready.

The location of Viceroy is really great. I was there without a car and it is in a very walkable area, as well as an area with easy access to both Metromover (an elevated shuttle system) and Metrorail (a heavy rail system giving you access to South MIami, UM, Coral Gables, Dadeland, Coconut Grove and more)

Upon getting my room keys and going up, I have to say I was very impressed with the decor. The halls (very warm, I'm not sure the A/C was on) were very chic and the room was as well.

I had asked for a high floor room and was placed two floors above the lobby (i.e.- not a high floor)

The room was pretty when I entered; however, the defects were very obvious (note photos.) There was a large crack in the ceiling, there were crumbs on the bench in front of the bed and it was missing several buttons as well. There were markings from construction both behind the bed and in the shower... it looked like graffiti almost. The carpet was stained in two places and one of the chairs had black staining on it as well.

One of the recessed lights was falling out of the ceiling and it (the bulb) would go on and off on its own. The shower head was very flimsy and felt like it was going to break when I had to adjust the head.

The glass covers are reused which I don't find to be very sanitary. Some people drink out of a cup then put the cover back on. One in the bathroom was dirty with all sorts of marks on it. It looked to be used a lot, but I thought maybe it was just at the bottom of a stack and something happened to it. I decided I would place a small mark on the inside of the two I had taken off the glass I used... the next day when housekeeping had left and replaced the glass I looked and sure enough they were the same covers.

The room is very open with the bathroom. They should really put a curtain people can close between the bedroom and bathroom. Just because two people might share a bed does not mean they would want to see each other in the shower.

Personally I come to South Florida during the winter to in part, enjoy the weather. I found it strange there was no balcony furniture at all.

I do like leaving the balcony door open while I'm in the room to get fresh air, unfortunately this was ruined by a smoker in another room. The scent would waft down in my room and by the time I got a whiff of it, it had already got in the room and I had to deal with that until it dissipated.

The pool was closed early afternoon one night of my stay until 12:30 PM the next day. There came a note from the manager... at about 8 PM or so that night. A little late, in my opinion.

The pool is closed from sundown until sunrise, which was very ambiguous. A set time depending on the season would work better. To be honest, I'm not sure why the pool closes at all.

There were private functions going on all over the place which was fine, but since many occurred in public areas of the hotel it felt awkward going by them when they were going on.

The spa pools were nice but the marble floors get very slippery. Thank goodness they stay open until 9 and 10 PM at night since the pool closes early.

Cafe Icon I only stopped in to get coffee. It seemed only one girl was really working, the other two were just sort of standing around. I'm not sure of her name, but the hard worker was the one with glasses.

Staff didn't remember my name. Lower level staff members (housekeeping, valet workers, etc.) seemed to be more friendly than "the suits." The suits would walk by, ask how you were and then not even stick around for the answer. I don't expect a long conversation, but at least stop, look me in the face, smile and pretend you actually care.

I wasn't asked how my stay was going until check out.

I came up to the W Fort Lauderdale and the difference has been like night and day. Staff at the W are always smiling, asking how your stay is going, asking if they can get you anything, etc. I will review them later.

Overall, Viceroy aspires to be a 5 star hotel, but it's just hitting the 3.75 mark (I wouldn't say it's only 3.5, but it's not 4, so I met in the middle)

Will I stay again? It depends on the rate. I didn't pay top dollar, but I certainly didn't get a great deal, either. It's not a bad place, it's not a great place, it's simply a mediocre place; a Hampton Inn with upgrade decor, and no free breakfast or parking.

One highlight of the trip was an employee by the name Jose at the front desk. I originally encountered him when he brought my bags up to the room. I made a note that he was very friendly then. As the stay progressed he was the one person that did say hi and would look you in the face. Upon departure I had some rental car problems and he was right there to assist with looking up other location numbers and trying to get them on the phone. I'm not sure Jose's position at Viceroy, but he certainly should be in a senior position.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable and candid feedback with us. I am delighted that you are a fan of our centric location and found our décor and guest accommodations tastefully appointed.

I regret to learn that your visit did not exceed your expectations due to the less than perfect room allocation and amenity hours. In my follow up with Mr. Rene Roman, Director of Rooms and Mr. Jerry Wenzel, Director of Engineering I have stressed the importance of thoroughly inspecting all corridors and guest accommodations to ensure that they are defect free prior to your arrival. Please note that our Viceroy King Deluxe and Viceroy Double rooms do feature an open lattice wall; however, our other room types do have a more private restroom. I have also shared your comments with Mr. Patrick Huey, Corporate Director of Spa & Wellness so that we may review our pool terrace hours of operation and indoor pool safety maintenance as well as Mr. Albert Charbonneau, Director of Food & Beverage so that we may provide our colleagues with the appropriate training in an effort to prevent future such guest dissatisfaction.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests with a warm and welcoming experience and I was disappointed to learn that your time with us did not necessarily reflect that; rest assured that I have discussed your feedback at length with our management team. I was truly proud to learn that our housekeeping and valet colleagues as well as Mr. Jose Arango, Lifestyle Assistant Supervisor were able to provide you with the intuitive service that is truly indicative of our standards. Please accept my sincere apologies and forgive us for our shortcomings.

I sincerely hope that you will afford us the opportunity to restore your faith and regain your confidence in us. Kindly please call me when your travels next bring you to Viceroy Miami so that I may personally take care of your arrangements. In the interim, we remain at your service.

Hotel Manager

Been to Viceroy Miami? Share your experiences!