“It felt like a motel.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #84 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Miami, Fl
“It felt like a motel.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

This hotel is located right off the highway. The airplanes sound like they are landing on top of your room. The hotel front desk couldn't get us a rib because we checked in at 10 pm. Overall, we are glad we only stayed here as a quick stop on our trip. We probably won't go back.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Michael W, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Airport West/Doral, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Good afternoon, I do apologize that you were inconvinenced by the noise of the planes going overhead. As you mentioned, we are an Airport hotel and in the direct flight path of many of the airlines.
Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss the service challenges that you encountered in our Bistro Restaurant. We do close the Bistro at 10PM however, there is no reason why we wouldn't be able to accomodate a guest coming in within a few minutes or more of that time.

Hospitably,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Newnan, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

One night stay for business. I checked in late and got up early but the stay was great! Starbucks was fabulous! Highly recommend! Close to everything and a nice property.
They had secure parking and security so I felt safe and sound.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
AWESOME NEWS to hear. Thank you for your kind comments. I will be sure to pass them along to the rest of the associates and we look forward to your next trip to Miami.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

I travel frequently. The amenities and cleanliness here are on par with what you would expect from a reputable hotel chain. The staff was genuinely friendly and helpful. The pool was well kept as the rest of the facilities seem to be though the whirlpool was nonexistent. The variables under their control are fine but the location is problematic. It is directly under the end of a runway so planes are taking off very close overhaed frequently. Even worse from my point of view is that there must be a dance club very nearby. The constant throbbing of the bass and drums was very hard to ignore even though my room faced inward over the pool area. It also is a very dark off-street location that would benefit from improved lighting and signage. If you don't mind planes, highway noise, and a dance club it is a fair hotel for the price. It might be better on weeknights--my stay was on a Saturday.

• Stayed April 2014
Thank you for your response on Trip Advisor. I do apologize about the excessive noise around the building during your stay. We have persude numerous avenues to try and off set the music noise coming from across the street. Unfortunatly, the City of Doral has issued permits to the warehouse district for their parties. We have contacted the police and voiced our concerns to the City of Doral to no avail. We have now started placing Noise Reduction aides in our guest rooms along with "Sleepy Time" tea to try to accomodate the loud noise. However, as you experienced, this does not always work.

Regrettably,
Stoneham, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

Do not stay here if you need to set an alarm clock or wake up early in the morning. You are DIRECTLY under the flight plan for Miami international airport and it's impossible to sleep through the noise without earplugs. The hotel kindly provides you earplugs, which will drown out your alarm clock, so you stay up all night listening to planes. The noise overshadows any positive attribute about this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014
Michael W, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Airport West/Doral, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Good evening, I am reading your review I am sorry that you did not experience a great stay with us due to airplanes and other noises. One of our properties values is its proximity to the airport, this however does lend itself to the air traffic from the airport which can not be controlled, we are now offering earplugs to our guests that requested.

Thank You again for your review.
Osprey, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

Had the friends and family rate for two nights. The lobby has been updated to the café typical for all Courtyards. Very friendly, intelligent staff on all levels. Since the property has not been renovated, we asked to see a room. No problem and what we saw was exact of what we received.
The room was very clean. No mold in the bathroom or sink area. The sheets were clean and fresh. Rooms show their age, but we all enjoyed our stay. Obviously the housekeeping staff takes pride in making the rooms the best they can.
A/C was very loud in room 239 and when it kicked on the noise level varied. Fridge worked fine and TV better than some. Bed was softer than other Courtyards, but comfortable. Soft and firm pillows on each bed. Did miss the top sheet cover and noticed Marriott runner was not on lower part of beds.
Did not receive extra towels from online reservation nor did we receive the previous day of arrival call directly to hotel (Juanita) to request for our two rooms to be close to one another. They wound up on 2 different floors.
Breakfast was duplicate of what is offered at all Courtyards. Staff again efficient and remembered what we ordered the first morning.
Check out a breeze without any issue.
Nicer places to stay but for the F&F rate and great staff it was pleasant.

Room Tip: Ask to face pool or courtyard for a slightly more quiet room.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Michael W, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Airport West/Doral, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Thank You for your comments on our associates. I will be sure to post them for our associates to read and review.

Ontario, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

TripAdvisor's 3-star rating is pretty consistent with my experience.

I'll start with the pros:

* Friendly staff
* Nice little bar and bistro in the lobby
* Free parking
* Mini fridge in room
* Paul Mitchell shampoo and conditioner in rooms

And now the cons...

* Noisy (airplanes flying over low to the ground)
* Worn-out mattress
* Poor television picture quality
* No complimentary breakfast
* Dirty carpet by sink
* Poor bathroom/sink layout
* Housekeeping was a bit pushy in getting us out of the room

Throughout our stay, the staff was friendly. This was especially true of the bistro employees and the front desk.

Housekeeping staff members were friendly and accommodating overall, but one housekeeper was a bit too pushy in getting us out of the room. Checkout time was near, and we were rushing to get out. We were pretty well packed up, but I was just finishing getting dressed after my shower. Ten minutes prior to checkout time, I heard a knock on the door from housekeeping. I hollared from the sink area (which was next to the door) that we were almost out of the room. The housekeeper came into our room anyway, and proceeed to confirm with me that we were checking out. Keep in mind that I was standing in nothing but a bath towel. Maybe people are less private in Miami?

The room itself seemed to be fairly clean. Some commonly touched items felt sticky or greasy, which is typical of most hotels I've stayed in. Also, some of the bedding smelled like other people's sweat, but this too was not surprising because most hotels only wash sheets in between guests. The carpet was very dark, which I didn't like because I wondered how many stains were there that I couldn't see. As it was, I could see a gummy looking carpet stain near the sink. That said, my socks didn't turn black from the carpet, so maybe the carpet wasn't so dirty.

There was no trashcan in the bathroom, no makeup mirror, and the sink area was really cramped. At first I thought that there was no hairdryer in the room, but it turned out that there was one inside the closet. The mattress had that uncomfortable combination of being both too firm and worn out. The picture quality of the television was very poor. Some channels barely came through, and the rest had a grainy appearance. The best things about the room were the mini fridge and the complimentary Paul Mitchell shampoo and conditioner.

I'll also add that the aircrafts flying low to the ground right over the property were noisy. That and the noise from other guests merely going in and out of their rooms made it difficult to sleep. The uncomfortable mattresses didn't help, either.

I did *not* use the exercise room, but would not have been surprised if it had been as tiny as other reviews describe. I can comment on the pool area, which was small, but attractive and well-maintained.

I was surprised that the hotel didn't provide a complimentary breakfast, but this wasn't too much of an issue for me since I normally sleep through breakfast anyway. Given the choice between a restaurant that's open all day, or a free breakfast that stops service before I'm fully dressed, I'll take the restaurant. I especially liked being able to enjoy an adult beverage without having to leave the hotel. Also, as I mentioned earlier, the bistro staff members were great.

All-in-all, this was an OK place to stay. However, some updates to the property should be made (better mattreses, better television, even a stool to sit on in the getting-dressed area) to justify the price. (I believe our rate was about $200 per night. I used to work in a Patel motel near Disney, so know all about overpricing hotels and motels.)

Finally, I get the impression that the hotel used to be a motel or more economical hotel in the past. My guess is that certain updates were hastily made so that the property owners could call the hotel a Marriott Courtyard, with most of the updates centering around the bistro and lobby areas. Other guests who enjoy staying at the Marriott Courtyard should keep this in mind.

• Stayed March 2014
Michael W, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Airport West/Doral, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Thank You for your response on TripAdvisor and for your comments on our hotel staff. I will be sure to post these for our associates to review.
As you mentioned the majority of your concerns were over the "dated" feel of the hotel from the carpets to the mattresses. I am pleased to announce that our hotel will begin to undergo our rooms renovation to the newest Marriott Courtyard Rooms Package which will include all new carpet and beds.
Thank you again for claifying that even though the carpets are dark your socks did not pick up any dirt. We work very hard to keep our hotel clean especially the challenge areas.
If you have any other concerns, please feel free to contact me directly,
Pembroke Pines, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

Stay was ok. Bed was comfortable, shower and tv worked which is all you can really ask for, however at $199 per night (which rivals and tops most nicer locations of other brands - Hilton, double tree etc.) there simply can be no excuse for the level of service received here.

I was told no charge for premium high speed internet due to my platinum status. First of how on earth is it premium when it's slower than dial up? Second, surprise, surprise is that a charge for internet on my bill? Yes it is.

Then came the adventure of trying to get the charge reversed. Oh boy! Why have a desk staff that can't figure out the system ? I finally left asking that my bi be sent to me. Unacceptable as I have to complete my weekly travel expenses.

Key notes: location is not a fully updates Courtyard. Lobby is complete but rest of location is not.

It shows as 2.5 miles to the airport. Don't even believe that. That is purely line of sight and does not take into consideration all the construction around.

There is not one good reason this hotel location should be priced at $199/ night.

Recommendation: Go elsewhere. It works if you need a bed and don't care about service.

Not a favorite or top pick. I certainly won't be staying here again.

• Stayed March 2014
Hello and Thank you for posting your feedback on TripAdvisor. Please let me first start by addressing the "dated" feel of our hotel. I am excited to say that coming the end of April, we will begin our room renovation which will include all new rooms to the most current Marriott Courtyard Room Package, this will also include all new beds.
I do apologize about any incorrect information that you are getting in regards to our proximity to the MIA. We are approximately 6 miles from MIA as is listed on Marriott's website. In reviewing your comments, you also stated that you were charged for our Higher tiered internet service. While we do offer compliementary HSIA service to all of our guests, we also offered a premium HSIA for $4.95 per day and this is waived as a benefit for our Platimium and Gold Elite Members. However, if you book thru a 3rd Party website, per the Marriott Reward Enrollement, points, bonus points, and other ammentites are not available.
Please, if you have any additional concerns or would like to review further please do not hesistate to contact me directly.
Hospitably,

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Miami Airport West/Doral? Share your experiences!