“Great staff, rooms to begin update in May, 2014” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Great Florida Savings!
Ranked #87 of 129 hotels in Miami
Osprey, FL
“Great staff, rooms to begin update in May, 2014”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

Had the friends and family rate for two nights. The lobby has been updated to the café typical for all Courtyards. Very friendly, intelligent staff on all levels. Since the property has not been renovated, we asked to see a room. No problem and what we saw was exact of what we received.
The room was very clean. No mold in the bathroom or sink area. The sheets were clean and fresh. Rooms show their age, but we all enjoyed our stay. Obviously the housekeeping staff takes pride in making the rooms the best they can.
A/C was very loud in room 239 and when it kicked on the noise level varied. Fridge worked fine and TV better than some. Bed was softer than other Courtyards, but comfortable. Soft and firm pillows on each bed. Did miss the top sheet cover and noticed Marriott runner was not on lower part of beds.
Did not receive extra towels from online reservation nor did we receive the previous day of arrival call directly to hotel (Juanita) to request for our two rooms to be close to one another. They wound up on 2 different floors.
Breakfast was duplicate of what is offered at all Courtyards. Staff again efficient and remembered what we ordered the first morning.
Check out a breeze without any issue.
Nicer places to stay but for the F&F rate and great staff it was pleasant.

Room Tip: Ask to face pool or courtyard for a slightly more quiet room.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Michael W, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Airport West/Doral, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Thank You for your comments on our associates. I will be sure to post them for our associates to read and review.

143 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Ontario, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

TripAdvisor's 3-star rating is pretty consistent with my experience.

I'll start with the pros:

* Friendly staff
* Nice little bar and bistro in the lobby
* Free parking
* Mini fridge in room
* Paul Mitchell shampoo and conditioner in rooms

And now the cons...

* Noisy (airplanes flying over low to the ground)
* Worn-out mattress
* Poor television picture quality
* No complimentary breakfast
* Dirty carpet by sink
* Poor bathroom/sink layout
* Housekeeping was a bit pushy in getting us out of the room

Throughout our stay, the staff was friendly. This was especially true of the bistro employees and the front desk.

Housekeeping staff members were friendly and accommodating overall, but one housekeeper was a bit too pushy in getting us out of the room. Checkout time was near, and we were rushing to get out. We were pretty well packed up, but I was just finishing getting dressed after my shower. Ten minutes prior to checkout time, I heard a knock on the door from housekeeping. I hollared from the sink area (which was next to the door) that we were almost out of the room. The housekeeper came into our room anyway, and proceeed to confirm with me that we were checking out. Keep in mind that I was standing in nothing but a bath towel. Maybe people are less private in Miami?

The room itself seemed to be fairly clean. Some commonly touched items felt sticky or greasy, which is typical of most hotels I've stayed in. Also, some of the bedding smelled like other people's sweat, but this too was not surprising because most hotels only wash sheets in between guests. The carpet was very dark, which I didn't like because I wondered how many stains were there that I couldn't see. As it was, I could see a gummy looking carpet stain near the sink. That said, my socks didn't turn black from the carpet, so maybe the carpet wasn't so dirty.

There was no trashcan in the bathroom, no makeup mirror, and the sink area was really cramped. At first I thought that there was no hairdryer in the room, but it turned out that there was one inside the closet. The mattress had that uncomfortable combination of being both too firm and worn out. The picture quality of the television was very poor. Some channels barely came through, and the rest had a grainy appearance. The best things about the room were the mini fridge and the complimentary Paul Mitchell shampoo and conditioner.

I'll also add that the aircrafts flying low to the ground right over the property were noisy. That and the noise from other guests merely going in and out of their rooms made it difficult to sleep. The uncomfortable mattresses didn't help, either.

I did *not* use the exercise room, but would not have been surprised if it had been as tiny as other reviews describe. I can comment on the pool area, which was small, but attractive and well-maintained.

I was surprised that the hotel didn't provide a complimentary breakfast, but this wasn't too much of an issue for me since I normally sleep through breakfast anyway. Given the choice between a restaurant that's open all day, or a free breakfast that stops service before I'm fully dressed, I'll take the restaurant. I especially liked being able to enjoy an adult beverage without having to leave the hotel. Also, as I mentioned earlier, the bistro staff members were great.

All-in-all, this was an OK place to stay. However, some updates to the property should be made (better mattreses, better television, even a stool to sit on in the getting-dressed area) to justify the price. (I believe our rate was about $200 per night. I used to work in a Patel motel near Disney, so know all about overpricing hotels and motels.)

Finally, I get the impression that the hotel used to be a motel or more economical hotel in the past. My guess is that certain updates were hastily made so that the property owners could call the hotel a Marriott Courtyard, with most of the updates centering around the bistro and lobby areas. Other guests who enjoy staying at the Marriott Courtyard should keep this in mind.

• Stayed March 2014
Michael W, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Airport West/Doral, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Thank You for your response on TripAdvisor and for your comments on our hotel staff. I will be sure to post these for our associates to review.
As you mentioned the majority of your concerns were over the "dated" feel of the hotel from the carpets to the mattresses. I am pleased to announce that our hotel will begin to undergo our rooms renovation to the newest Marriott Courtyard Rooms Package which will include all new carpet and beds.
Thank you again for claifying that even though the carpets are dark your socks did not pick up any dirt. We work very hard to keep our hotel clean especially the challenge areas.
If you have any other concerns, please feel free to contact me directly,
Pembroke Pines, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

Stay was ok. Bed was comfortable, shower and tv worked which is all you can really ask for, however at $199 per night (which rivals and tops most nicer locations of other brands - Hilton, double tree etc.) there simply can be no excuse for the level of service received here.

I was told no charge for premium high speed internet due to my platinum status. First of how on earth is it premium when it's slower than dial up? Second, surprise, surprise is that a charge for internet on my bill? Yes it is.

Then came the adventure of trying to get the charge reversed. Oh boy! Why have a desk staff that can't figure out the system ? I finally left asking that my bi be sent to me. Unacceptable as I have to complete my weekly travel expenses.

Key notes: location is not a fully updates Courtyard. Lobby is complete but rest of location is not.

It shows as 2.5 miles to the airport. Don't even believe that. That is purely line of sight and does not take into consideration all the construction around.

There is not one good reason this hotel location should be priced at $199/ night.

Recommendation: Go elsewhere. It works if you need a bed and don't care about service.

Not a favorite or top pick. I certainly won't be staying here again.

• Stayed March 2014
Hello and Thank you for posting your feedback on TripAdvisor. Please let me first start by addressing the "dated" feel of our hotel. I am excited to say that coming the end of April, we will begin our room renovation which will include all new rooms to the most current Marriott Courtyard Room Package, this will also include all new beds.
I do apologize about any incorrect information that you are getting in regards to our proximity to the MIA. We are approximately 6 miles from MIA as is listed on Marriott's website. In reviewing your comments, you also stated that you were charged for our Higher tiered internet service. While we do offer compliementary HSIA service to all of our guests, we also offered a premium HSIA for $4.95 per day and this is waived as a benefit for our Platimium and Gold Elite Members. However, if you book thru a 3rd Party website, per the Marriott Reward Enrollement, points, bonus points, and other ammentites are not available.
Please, if you have any additional concerns or would like to review further please do not hesistate to contact me directly.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

Everything about our stay was great! A good nights sleep is at the top of our reasons for loving this place! Either newly renovated or just great! The staff was very helpful and nice.

We did have a few problems but at no fault of Marriott's, I mention them just as an FYI. We were put up here for a night by our airline since our flight was canceled. Its about 20+ min away from the airport. We had vouchers to eat dinner here and heard the food was great but the restaurant is not open late so we missed out. They do have some food at their snack shop like freezer meals and snacks which was great!

We would totally stay here again!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Michael W, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Airport West/Doral, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
Good Afternoon RUaVTBaby;

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide your feedback on TripAdvisor. Your comments are highly appreciated, and I am happy that you were able to enjoy your stay after the inconvinience of your cancelled flight. Please do come see us again!

At your service;

Yeraine Izquierdo
Operations Manager
Yorkville, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

After 4 calls and waiting 1hr & 15 min for the shuttle from the airport I finally bailed and got a cab. When the cab pulled into this dark, remote off the street location I thought it was a mistake. Than about a 15 min wait to check in when there were 2 clerks and 3 guests was poor. I'm a Marriott Gold member with about 150 nights at Marriott, but another stay like this and I'll be back to the Hilton Honors program in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Select a room at a different hotel. There are too many other options nearby to waste your time and...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Michael W, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Airport West/Doral, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Good afternoon and thank you for posting your feedback on TripAdvisor. As you mentioned, you were not satisfied with our Complimentary Shuttle Service from the Airport. This is an opportunity we are working very hard on to correct. Our Shuttle service in only available on request and subject to Miami Traffic. Based on our customer feedback we are always looking for ways to improve our transporation service. I have just updated our website to reflect shuttle availability to provide more accurate infromation to our guest. Please feel free to contact me directly, if you would like to offer any additional suggestions.

Brooklyn
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Stay here if you like to stand around. Stay here is waiting curbside at the airport is your idea of a fun evening. Stay here is you like to watch other shuttles come by and pick up their passengers and you can wave goodbye while you await yours. Stay here if you like to repeated call the hotel to plead with them for a ride. However, if arriving in a timely manner, checking in, and relaxing for the evening is your idea if fun, DON'T STAY HERE!

I called in the afternoon to confirm my room and let them know about the arrival time. As soon as I arrived (on a bus from the Keys) I went inside and called as instructed. That was at 9:45 PM. I was told that the shuttle driver just left, and it would be awhile, but they'd send him back and call me when he was coming. No call, I called them at 1:15 and was told he was on his way. I told the EXACTLY where was standing (door number and airline). Fast forward to 11:15 PM and numerous phone call later, the front desk clerk came to get me, only to inform me that the driver had passed 2 time and picked up others. However, he somehow didn't stop near me, because I am not blind and I didn't see him at all! Further, he DID know what door I was at, as I mentioned it every time I called them.

Room is clean, lobby is nice, Internet is slower than the shuttle driver. Seriously, I'd re-think this place. Might change my rating dependent upon the rest of the stay, but for now, it stinks! Two stars for the lady that did actually pick me up after a few begging phone calls.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Michael W, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Airport West/Doral, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Thank You for your feedback on TripAdvisor. We strive to improve our guest service on a daily basis including our shuttle service to and from MIA. I do apologize that it took so long for us to be able to get to you. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel if you would like to discuss further. I would like to ensure that this does not happen again. Again my apologies for the long wait.
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

We arrived late afternoon for 1 night before heading to San Juan. I had a dental emergency and the gals at the front desk couldn't have been more helpful - got on the phone and found a clinic that was open and gave us directions to get there. Saved my life!
The room was very clean and equipped with everything you could need. Free internet for airline check in, very convenient to the airport. They also have balcony rooms which to me is a big plus when it comes to finding accommodations near an airport.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Michael W, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Airport West/Doral, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear Melbur;

I am so happy that enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for your compliments to the hotel and our staff in the front desk. They are definitely gems and we're lucky to have them. Thank you again and we hope to see you in the future.

Best,
Yeraine Izquierdo

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Miami Airport West/Doral? Share your experiences!