“Textbook Mediocre Hotel With Staff to Match” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Great Florida Savings!
Ranked #87 of 129 hotels in Miami
Atlanta
“Textbook Mediocre Hotel With Staff to Match”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

If you need a reasonably priced hotel in this area to stay one night, this might fit your needs. The stay wasn't bad, but there really isn't anything special, either. The staff is ineffectual.

The hotel is clean. The room is very standard last generation Courtyard. It's not the most recent redo, which is already a few years old, but it's not showing it's age, either.

Something weird: My Marriott profile indicates I want a high floor. I was assigned a first floor room, which had been defeathered, as requested, but I won't stay on a first floor. I've left hotels for this reason. The woman who checked me in insisted my profile indicated I wanted a first floor room. I asked her to show me. I'm Marriott Platinum and know what's in my profile. She finally conceded that it did say high floor. Thirty minutes later, when I was still waiting for a room not on the first floor, the manager said that they "upgraded" me to a first floor room, since Platinums like first floor rooms with sliding glass doors. It was one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard, even if it was a boldface lie to try to minimize the hotel's screwup. What kind of reasoning indicates people want the opposite of what they request? It really shows the hotel doesn't take requests seriously. Instead of honoring your request, they'll do what they think is best. That just seemed very, very odd. Really strange.

The woman at the front desk requested housekeeping defeather the new room when I was checking in. Thirty minutes later, it was apparent they hadn't even started. In other words, housekeeping seems to do what they want when they want, which makes you wonder if they are really cleaning the rooms. I finally asked for the manager who jumped on making sure it got done, but I shouldn't have had to ask for a manager. Although that's when the entertaining conversation outlined above took place, so had I not asked for him, I would have missed out on one of the most absurd statements I've heard in quite some time.

Bottom Line: IME, this hotel has staff issues, starting at the top. These may not impact your stay, but in my case, they caused issues.

Big planes take off directly over the hotel. Big, loud planes. If you are sound sensitive, this isn't your hotel.

The Internet connection is horrible, as other posters have indicated. Thankfully, I have a Verizon MiFi connection. I switched to it and didn't have problems after that. Thankfully, I get the higher service for free. Those that pay for it have every right to be upset.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Michael W, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Airport West/Doral, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Thank you for your response and allowing us to learn from our mistakes. I do want to apologize to you again for our misunderstanding of your request. I do apologize that we did not review all of your requests and stopped at the feather free room. I have spoken with our front desk staff associates and review with them daily the importance of honoring as many guest requests as possible especially with our Elite Members. Please feel free to contact me directly if there is anything I can do for you on your next visit to Miami.

144 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Hallandale Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Only stayed here one night. I love Courtyards but this one is just ok. Location is good. Check in was quick. Being an Marriott Rewards Member, normally the Courtyards welcome you with complimentary water or juice or Gatorade. Not this one. The hallways show signs of wear as do the elevators. The room was very clean. Surprised me in the morning there was no fast check out where they usually slide your pre paid bill under the door. Also, we checked out at 10am and there was no complimentary coffee or coffee to purchase?? Don't understand that either?? WARNING: this property sits about a mile from the end of Runway 12 at Miami International Airport and when the jets use that runway it will sound like they are landing in your room. I would only stay here again if its for just one night.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael W, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Airport West/Doral, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Happy New Year and thank you for posting on TripAdvisor. I am sorry to hear that your stay was average. We strive very hard to ensure the best satisfaction for our guests. I would like to clear up some of your comments for your future stays at Courtyards. Our Platinium Marriott Reward Members at check in are offered a choice of a Market item or additional points for their stay, but that offer is not available for all Marriott Reward Members. Our complimentary lobby coffee was dis-continued in 2013 and we now only offer Starbucks Coffee in the Bistro. As for our Express Checkouts, we do offer that every day and I will research into why you did not receive a bill under your door.

Stockholm, Sweden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

I'm not sure if this review will post. We checked in earlier this afternoon with a bit of work to do before traveling tomorrow. While my Gold Status qualifies for free enhanced internet connection I have to say the connection is barely acceptable a slow speed and seems quite irratic. It's frustrating, the staff was contacted and tried to help but unfortunately there isn't a solution yet.

We've stayed in many Courtyards, even in Stockholm, the staff is trying but there may be other issues they can't control. My rating is based solely on the technical issues.

Not sure I'd come back again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Michael W, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Airport West/Doral, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Thank you for your response on TripAdvisor. I would like to first apologize that the HSIA was not fast enough for your needs. I would love the opportunity to share with our guests the way that our HSIA runs as it is different from what many guests access thru their home Wifi. We curretly run the 20MB circuit for wifi in our hotel which is the current Marriott standard. This is the total bandwidth that is available for all guests. However, as you noted, it does breakdown to approximately .80 Mbps. As a gold/platinum memeber we now offer a complimentary tiered level of serice which increases it to approximatly 2.70 Mbps. As we have just switched to this new tiered service at the begining of the month, I have become very familiar with our bandwidth. Unlike home service where indiviudals may have 6.0 or higher Mbps completly devoted to your devices, ours is shared. In testing the service myself, I can apprecitate how this can be a challenge for larger files. On smaller files and movie streaming, speed is typically not an issue.

Again my apologies.

Woodbridge, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

Stuck in Miami due to a flight cancellation to D.C. and booked this Courtyard based on my overall experience with Marriott. Unfortunately this is a below par motel that happens to have the Marriott sign outside. Dirty carpet, bathrooms not up to Marriott standards and a less than appealing room. The employees were helpful, which is surprising with what they have to work with. Never again.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Michael W, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Airport West/Doral, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Good afternoon, In reading your review I am sorry that you did not experience a great stay with us. I understand that your flight delay may have made the matters worse. I would like to address your concerns. While I am aware of the bleached stains in some areas of our common area hallways, both the Lobby, Business Center, and Bistro are newly renovated. Our Public space that you commented on is scheduled for renovation in mid 2014. I hope that based on your positive comments on your experience with our staff you will give us another chance if you have the opportunity to be back in the area later next year.
Houston, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

Airport shuttle makes it a good choice for an overnight. Friendly & helpful staff. Nice lobby.
Typical Courtyard furnished room. Good interior housekeeping. Would suggest they place 2 chairs on the rooms with balconies, so they can be used. Also need to clean the balcony furniture, since our was so dirty we had to do so. Would use it again for an overnight.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Michael W, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Airport West/Doral, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Thank you so much for having changed your opinion about Miami. As we are a tourist destination, great feedback in always a boost. I am very glad to hear that you were able to spend a great time with your family and that both Alexis and Michele were able to assist. I want to thank you again for your comments and let you know that I will share them with Alexis and Michele. If you need any additional reservations, please do not hesitate to contact us directly. PS...Alexis has been promoted to our property coordinator.

Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

We have always been avoiding Miami because of the traffic and things. We decided to go to meet friends an celebrate our wives birthdays. All the arrangements kind of fell apart but the people at the Marriott once again came thru. 12 people were traveling and somehow the reservations got mixed up, but Alexis and Michele at the front desk worked with everyone and got it straightened out.

The room was nice, right near the malls and shopping and Food. The airport is 5 minutes 15 in traffic. They had the shuttle to the airport and provided information for rentals.

They asked about the noise of the planes but we never really payed it much attention. Maybe outside by the pool in summer might be a issue.

Overall it was a great trip, got to celebrate with our friends and family.

Room Tip: we stayed in 106 and 108 and they were fine
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your response. I am very glad to hear that you had a very positive experience with us. The good news is we will be getting new patio furniture in 2014. I will be sure to post your comments in our housekeeping office to share with all of our associates. If we can be of future assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us directly.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

What a great stay for business. The hotel is very clean, and the service was excellent. While I did not use the pool, the actual courtyard was also very clean and well constructed. The in-house restaurant was a bit on the pricey side, so I chose to eat elsewhere however. The rooms are a good size, and there was always parking. The hotel is also located near several major high ways which made my traveling very easy.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Michael W, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Airport West/Doral, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Scott, thank you so much for your feedback on TripAdvisor.com. As you know more and more of our guests frequently are checking this site during their trip planning. I am glad to hear that you had a enjoyable time and that we are conveniently located for your needs. I will be sure to share your comments with our staff as this is a great motivator.

Hospitably,

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Miami Airport West/Doral? Share your experiences!