“We enjoyed our stay!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #87 of 130 hotels in Miami
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“We enjoyed our stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Well, I must say that I am glad that (for once) I didn't read the Trip Advisor reviews before we arrived because I may not have stayed here. Please remember that often the people that have great times don’t bother to leave the good reviews but the people who may not have had a positive experience tend to make sure others are aware of their complaints.
We did this hotel choice as a pre-cruise option out of Miami. We had just missed the shuttle from the airport and had to wait 20minutes for the next one. Miami (I feel) should have a better passenger arrival area. You have passenger pick-up, rental car pick-up and hotel pick-up all in the same area. Cars block the shuttles, then people want to hug and kiss good-bye taking additional time. You have to flag down your shuttle and if a vehicle parks in front of you, you have to relocate to get a clear path so you will be able to flag down the hotel shuttle. Not at all the hotels fault. Just my observation that as big as MIA is, it should work that out better. Anyways, back to the hotel review.
Andrew was our airport shuttle driver. On a very hot day he had ice cold bottled water in a cooler for us. He answered a few questions of things close by and hotel amenities.
Upon check-in Raul was a pretty cool dude. He gave us menus of places to eat and added in some suggestions too. Our room was great! We were on the first level with a pool view near the pool entrance and exercise room. I didn’t observed anything wrong with our furniture and the bed was extremely soft.
After we got settled we went for a dip in the pool. The hot tub was out of order but the pool was good enough. While at the pool, as the other review said, you are right under the landing path of the airport. My 3year old found it amazing to look at the planes so low....me...well as long as they stayed in the sky when they were supposed to, I was ok (smile.)
There was a Venezuelan eatery across the street that had some type of function going on that we checked out after swimming.
We decided to walk to Boston Market for dinner. There is also a Burger King a block up and we saw that Taco Bell and Burger King Delivered. We passed a Cuban restaurant and a Mexican restaurant. The gas station was on the corner if you needed a late night snack or gas (all within walking distance of 10 minutes or less.)
The front desk arranged a cruise ship pick-up the night before. They were a little tardy. Pick up was to be at 11am they didn’t arrive until almost 1140am. No worries, because you usually can’t get into the cruise ship cabin until 1pm anyways.
The driver of the cruise port pick up seemed to frighten everyone with his driving in the heavy rain. We almost hydroplaned twice from the standing water and the high rate of speed he was going. Never the less we made it there safely and had an awesome cruise. I would surely book this hotel again with no problems. I added some pictures but the pictures provided by the hotel are 100% accurate. I did want to add that we did see a security guard when walking back from Boston Market and they have washer and dryer on site and vending machines. Email me with any questions

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

141 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
DePere, WI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed here with 2 other couples. Each one of us had issues. The hot tub was out of service which would have been nice to be informed when we checked in. The shuttle from the airport was an hour wait "due to the rain". We were located next to the maid closet which was very noisy all on it's own but we had to get out of bed in the morning to go out and tell them to stop shouting at each other up and down the halls. They have a breakfast deli but you better get down there very early as they don't stay open long. Many people very upset about that. We were told we would have a refund for our inconvenience. We were even given a receipt indicating this yet afer our cruise 7 days later the credit still did not show up on our account. We are still trying to resolve this issue.

Room Tip: Don't stay by the maid room
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

I am a long time Marriott rewards member, no more. This hotel has security gates at the entrance/exit and a security guard, which is unusual for a courtyard of this size and configuration (typical drive around/park on the outside). My truck was vandalized overnight, the tailgate was stolen. I found out that the guard is not 24 hours, the perimeter fence is not completed around the full perimeter, there are no security cameras on the parking area, and it's poorly lit. The sense that's it's a secure and safe facility is false. The management knows of the issues but seems not real concerned. "Marriott Claims" is worthless, denies any responsibility. I will use up my reward points and never use Marriott again, I expect better..they owe their customers better. Avoid this property.

• Stayed April 2013
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Lobby is renovated like other courtyards...but beyond that look out...bait and switch.
Furniture in the room is worn and old. Dirty feeling as carpet is old and dark.
Carpet in hallways and doors feel like you are not at a Marriott rather a Days inn.
This hotel is not worth more than 80/night.
Music blaring in lobby makes it impossible to work. Changed rooms due to worn furniture and dark location of room facing the back. Next room was better location facing courtyard with more natural light but furniture as other room, worn, and someone left their dirty clothes in the dresser drawers in the 2nd room. Told staff, was sympathetic but it left me with an uneasy feeling about the room. both bathrooms are old style tub and sink.
disappointed with this Courtyard and uneasy feeling to unpack. Marriott is slipping.
not worth 149 plus tax and fees at all. run down beyond lobby.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Northwest
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Not one of the better Courtyards I've stayed at. My room was clean and comfortable. The maid left me two conditioners and no shampoo. I did not realize that the hotel was under the inbound flight path. If you love seeing, hearing and feeling big jets you'll love this facility. You can watch them over head as you sit by the pool. Kids seemed to like this. You could hear the jets inside the building but they weren't noisier than big trucks rumbling by on an interstate. Our room was on the second floor, perhaps the fourth/top floor had a little more noise. My interactions with staff was pleasant. One thing they could improve upon is the food service. In the morning there was a long line of people ordering and only one person who took the orders and prepared the food. After 15 minutes with no line movement we left by car to find a restaurant. The Original Pancake House about 1.5 miles west - very good. Everyone in our party like the food and service there. But, that's a separate review. I would personally look to other lodging if I were staying in the Miami area again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Carlos P, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Airport West/Doral, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your comments regarding your recent stay with us. Please accept my apologies for the incontinences you experienced during your stay. With our close proximity to the airport we will at time have airport traffic directly over the hotel depending of their take off and landing patterns for the day. I will be certain to share your comments with our entire team and discuss how we can avoid long waiting lines in the future during breakfast hours. Thank you again for your comments.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

Very disappointed with this hotel. The staff was rude upon check-in and not very helpful at all. The room was comfortable and the bed well. I had never stayed at a hotel in Miami and this was my bad experience I feel disappointed. The balcony door was stained could not see anything outside. The whirlpool was not in service. Poor service, I had to call on two occasions to take us towels and took over half an hour.

• Stayed March 2013
Lima
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

I was confident on the Courtyard brand but learned that there are Courtyards...and Courtyards. This has not been the best one I stayed. Room was too noisy and Housekeeping was every morning eager to clean my room...knocking the door quite early and did woke me up twice. Breakfast is not included and is quite limited. Seems they do not have the capability to handle rush hour as they limited choices. Staff was ok, young kids mostly that do their job as asked. Cleanliness, ok. It is a standard hotel which I found it overpriced. Linen and pillows were very good. Will not recommend if you travel with family.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your comments regarding your recent stay with us. Please accept my apologies for the incontinences you experienced during your stay. As is standard with all Courtyards we do offer breakfast at an additional cost to the room. Our new Bistro is set to offer various breakfast items which include both cold and hot items made fresh everyday. I will be certain to share your comments with our entire staff to ensure any future disturbances to not occur with any of our guests. Thank you again for your comments.

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Miami Airport West/Doral? Share your experiences!