“Excellent - so much better than expected” 4 of 5 stars

Fortune House Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   185 SE 14 Terrace, Miami, FL 33131 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #93 of 129 Hotels in Miami
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent - so much better than expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Read reviews after booking so concerned about problems with charges , staff and breakfast. Also that room might be tatty. I asked for a high level room but was advised i would be upgraded to a deluxe room with a bay view. The room was spacious and newly decorated. two balconies, 3 tvs. A luxury apartment. All staff were polite and friendly. Breakfast was uninspiring but still very good. I agree the dining area is small but we beat the rush so had no problem.. Parking arrangements were unusual in that they stated valet parking only. I parked around the corner for free 6pm to 7am then $1.75 per hour with 3 hour max

Room Tip: park nearby on street which can be paid for online easily
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

The interior space and comfortable beds. The hotel location is very good because it's only 10 minutes from South Beach and also has easy access to the Miami International Airport (mia). A tip for anyone staying in this hotel is booking a room overlooking the bay. Waking up in the morning and look at the Biscayne Bay is an amazing feeling!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Panama City, Panama, Panama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

First, the good things. The location is superb. Brickell is a very nice part of town, very "urban walk-able" and if you get a room with a view of the Biscayne Bay, it is great. There are lots of restaurants within walking distance and just nice area to stay

The towels are nice and clean. The kitchen was adequately furnished and the supplies in good condition. Furniture was adequate. There are no dvd players but nice big tvs.

Now the not so great:

This is a part hotel part owner stay, I call it timeshare wannabe. I own Marriott timeshares so I know the drill with timeshares. There was no information in the room to indicate things such as where the trash room is and what the policy for trash pickup was. Our room was serviced daily but the maids did not take the trash out. Noticed several days later the bad smell. If they had told me I had to, I would have done it. We asked for the room to be cleaned early in the day. We managed to get our room serviced at best around 4 pm!

Unfortunately, the day we arrived they had a power outage and wiped out the wireless system for days. I can understand disasters like this but what I cannot tolerate is the lack of adequate information. Every day was a different story about the status of the wireless restoring, sometimes even denial that anyone else had a problem. They only had wireless internet in the lobby for about 5 days. I got very tired of their excuses and answers

I had the surprising encounter with a VERY large dog in the hallway of my room one day. This was a dog that belonged to an owner apparently and they would let him loose or the dog would leave the apartment and be in the hallway. I got the scare of my life when this dog face was on my face. The next day the same thing happened with the same dog and me having my 88 year old mother with me....not good! I reviewed their pet policy and they only allow long term guests or owners pets that weigh under 25 pounds. This animal was definitely not in that category. I didn't get much of an apology as if that was relatively acceptable. They should have given me at least a free night for that!!

The restaurant is cramped at best for the breakfast. The only thing that would make me return to this place is location. If you can afford it, stay across the street at the Four Seasons.

Of course, this was in late March, one of the busiest times in Miami so everything is overpriced and overbooked and under serviced.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of Biscayne Bay
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

It was very comfortable, having one LCD in each room. The swimming pool is great as the jacuzzi. The apartments had a very beautiful view of the sea and downtown. The location is great, near the bridge that goes to Miami beach and near the main HighWay, nice accommodations, great health club, friendly staff.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Jacksonville, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

One hassel after the next is the best way to describe the place- that is the staff and rooms. I booked through Expedia for two nights with 2 - two bed room suites. I did not get the rooms that I requested and confirmed. Rooms were in poor condition. Verticle blinds in disrepair unable to close. Mattress on bed sunken in the center. Booked for two nights but could only bear one. Will never stay there again.

Room Tip: Avoid this place
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
San Juan, Puerto Rico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone. I made my reservation on January for late March and they call three hours before check in to say that they didn't have a room available for me and they would try to relocate us which they never did. First they wouldn't answer the phone, when they finally did they had the worse attitude ever, said they were too busy and hung up. The agency through which me had made our reservation was the one that actually solved our problem and they spent hours trying to contact the hotel as well. It was an awful experience, just ruined the whole day. If there was a rating worse than "terrible" I would have selected it.

Room Tip: Just don't choose the hotel period.
Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I have stayed here a couple of times and each time I say that I will be coming back. Everyone there is nice and friendly. I love the condo's layout and the view of the water is WONDERFUL! The location is great since your 10 minutes away from Bayside Marketplace, the American Airlines Arena and about 30 min from the beach. The Metro Mover is right across the street and for anyone that does not know it's FREE to ride. I will be back next year :)

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Fortune House Hotel? Share your experiences!