“Never again !” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #92 of 130 hotels in Miami
Ontario
“Never again !”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had an overnight stay in this hotel , along with many other family members who were there for a wedding. To list everything that went wrong would take a long time but to start with, my husband was again charged for the room when checking in, even though it was pre-paid. He was told it would be refunded within 3 days---3 weeks after when I complained, they claimed it was an "oversight" and had I not contacted them, I would never have gotten part of my money back. Yes, only "part" because they added bar charges (which we did not use) and other charges, so I am still out over $30. The breakfast fiasco was incredible: no plates, cutlery or cups and we were told we had to "share" plates !! People were trying to get their hands on at least a muffin and a napkin....but alas....napkins ran out and so did the food !!
Did the staff seem distressed ? Not in the least !
This place was unbelievable and I am aghast as to why they are still open.
Please do not be fooled by the advertising--stay somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

347 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Our family stayed for 1 week, and we are looking forward to coming back! The staff was very friendly, the baclony was ok. The rooms are adequate-meaning not large but enough room to relax in. The kids played a lot in the swim pool.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

For 240 plus 20 for valet parking you can find much better deals. The hot water was just warm, and I did not have internet! I went twice to report this issue to the front desk ,but they did not fix it. They was very unfriendly. Avoid this hotel. The room was Ok (nothing fency ) ,small balcony (best thing) and clean.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Huntingdon, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Our family stayed in one of the two bedroom condo's for three days prior to our departure on a cruise on November 27, 2012. Upon pulling up to the hotel, it looked very nice. The staff was very friendly, but no one spoke of very good english. The appearance at first glance did not seem bad of the room. As the day went on, we had discovered that none of the TV's worked. We had to call the front desk to have them come up and fix them. Prior to going to bed, I went to lower the blinds in the one bedroom. The one blind was jammed and could not be lowered.....the blinds were pulled up as high as they could go. Needless to say, when it became daylight out....I had the pleasure of waking up with the morning sun at 6:00am whether I wanted to or not. Plus not to mention....I had no privacy in the bedroom. They had a complimentary coffee packet on the kitchen counter, but no coffee pot to make the coffee. A drawer was broken off of the one dresser in the bedroom, and half of the light bulbs were blown out in the lights. The next morning, I had reqested two extra blankets from the front desk. They brougt two up while we were out. These blankets were NASTY. They were dirty brown and hard!.....they looked as if they pulled them off of some homeless person on the street. The room was not very clean at all! Also, their was complimentary breakfast that the hotel offered, but they did not offer this information at check in.....I found out about it after reading all the reviews after our stay, Needless to say, this was a horrible place to stay. When we brought it to the front desk's attention, all's they had to say was SORRY! I called after I got home and requested to speak to a manager, but they said she was on the other line and would call back. It's been a month later, and I am still waiting to get that call back.....I would stay at a SUPER 8 before I go back to this place!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We booked a 2 bedroom suite and the room is supposedly a deluxe. The place is dirty and the appliances are old and full of stains. The furniture is old and the floor is sticky, I didn't go anywhere without flip flops. The bathroom was a nightmare, the tub is broken and the taps were falling appart. Only one tv worked and it only had one channel. Lamps were broken and the ac didn't work but the ac in the hallway was very cold. The pictures on the site are very different from the real room because our room looked nothing like the pictures. Breakfast is included and tastes pretty ok but it's like world war 3 fighting for plates and food. If you want to avoid WW3 you have to have breakfast before 8:00am. Their service is slow and poor and some staffs are just lazy and don't want to help you. The wifi is like a gamble, you pray that it connects and you can't connect more than 2 devices at the same time. Overall this hotel ruined our stay in Miami and it was a shame because Miami was really nice in December.

Room Tip: Once you get a bad room, complain to get a better one, we didn't so we couldn't switch out...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I'm in the "deluxe" 2 bedroom suite, and it is completely ridiculous. The floors are gross, they have tvs that don't function properly, bathrooms that were gross, lights that don't work, beds that are extremely uncomfortable, air conditioning doesn't work and it's just not a nice place to stay. Not only that, their service is a disaster. They do not accommodate to your needs, they don't clean your room properly either and breakfast is literally a fight to get (plus it isn't even good). I'm definitely not the first to complain about this hotel, as I have seen & heard several others complain straight to the desk. The pictures online are not at all what it seems like, so don't be fooled by them. The hotel seemed nice to us at first with the nice lobby, until we entered this hell hole.
I strongly recommend not to come to Fortune House because you surely won't enjoy it. I especially didn't.

• Stayed December 2012
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I stayed here for several nights in December 2012 in a two bedroom apartment which I shared with some friends during Art Basel. Our apartment had a large common room with a dining area and kitchen, two bedrooms, two bathrooms, and two small balconies.

Upsides:

-our apartment was spacious and had great views of the bay.
-balconies were a nice plus.
-affordable rates, especially during Art Basel when all hotel rooms in the city shoot up in price
-it's not South Beach but the location is good for Downtown: you're only a short walk from metro rail/mover and to a nice walking path that goes along the water.

Downsides:
-the buffet breakfast (though free) is pretty unpalatable.
-housekeeping was inadequate: I took a glass out of the cupboard and drank from it only to notice a few sips later that it had a big lipstick stain on the rim (not from me!) Really, really gross!
-service is not great. Staff I interacted with were pleasant but clearly over-extended.
-it was difficult to lock the balcony door securely (we were on a very high floor so it probably would have been fine to leave the door completely unlocked, but I still didn't like it)

Our apartment was furnished adequately and didn't look run down or visibly dirty as some other reviewers have described theirs as being. However, don't expect high end furniture or linens: my mattress was from Ikea.

From reading other reviews it seems like the quality of the individual apartments vary really wildly, and it sounds like my friends and I were pretty lucky with ours. Based on my own experience I would say Fortune House is a decent option to consider if you're looking for affordable housing for a group of friends or a family.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Fortune House Hotel? Share your experiences!