“NOT EVEN CLOSE TO FIRST CLASS!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 20%
Ranked #93 of 130 hotels in Miami
Huntingdon, Pennsylvania
“NOT EVEN CLOSE TO FIRST CLASS!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Our family stayed in one of the two bedroom condo's for three days prior to our departure on a cruise on November 27, 2012. Upon pulling up to the hotel, it looked very nice. The staff was very friendly, but no one spoke of very good english. The appearance at first glance did not seem bad of the room. As the day went on, we had discovered that none of the TV's worked. We had to call the front desk to have them come up and fix them. Prior to going to bed, I went to lower the blinds in the one bedroom. The one blind was jammed and could not be lowered.....the blinds were pulled up as high as they could go. Needless to say, when it became daylight out....I had the pleasure of waking up with the morning sun at 6:00am whether I wanted to or not. Plus not to mention....I had no privacy in the bedroom. They had a complimentary coffee packet on the kitchen counter, but no coffee pot to make the coffee. A drawer was broken off of the one dresser in the bedroom, and half of the light bulbs were blown out in the lights. The next morning, I had reqested two extra blankets from the front desk. They brougt two up while we were out. These blankets were NASTY. They were dirty brown and hard!.....they looked as if they pulled them off of some homeless person on the street. The room was not very clean at all! Also, their was complimentary breakfast that the hotel offered, but they did not offer this information at check in.....I found out about it after reading all the reviews after our stay, Needless to say, this was a horrible place to stay. When we brought it to the front desk's attention, all's they had to say was SORRY! I called after I got home and requested to speak to a manager, but they said she was on the other line and would call back. It's been a month later, and I am still waiting to get that call back.....I would stay at a SUPER 8 before I go back to this place!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

305 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We booked a 2 bedroom suite and the room is supposedly a deluxe. The place is dirty and the appliances are old and full of stains. The furniture is old and the floor is sticky, I didn't go anywhere without flip flops. The bathroom was a nightmare, the tub is broken and the taps were falling appart. Only one tv worked and it only had one channel. Lamps were broken and the ac didn't work but the ac in the hallway was very cold. The pictures on the site are very different from the real room because our room looked nothing like the pictures. Breakfast is included and tastes pretty ok but it's like world war 3 fighting for plates and food. If you want to avoid WW3 you have to have breakfast before 8:00am. Their service is slow and poor and some staffs are just lazy and don't want to help you. The wifi is like a gamble, you pray that it connects and you can't connect more than 2 devices at the same time. Overall this hotel ruined our stay in Miami and it was a shame because Miami was really nice in December.

Room Tip: Once you get a bad room, complain to get a better one, we didn't so we couldn't switch out...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I'm in the "deluxe" 2 bedroom suite, and it is completely ridiculous. The floors are gross, they have tvs that don't function properly, bathrooms that were gross, lights that don't work, beds that are extremely uncomfortable, air conditioning doesn't work and it's just not a nice place to stay. Not only that, their service is a disaster. They do not accommodate to your needs, they don't clean your room properly either and breakfast is literally a fight to get (plus it isn't even good). I'm definitely not the first to complain about this hotel, as I have seen & heard several others complain straight to the desk. The pictures online are not at all what it seems like, so don't be fooled by them. The hotel seemed nice to us at first with the nice lobby, until we entered this hell hole.
I strongly recommend not to come to Fortune House because you surely won't enjoy it. I especially didn't.

• Stayed December 2012
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I stayed here for several nights in December 2012 in a two bedroom apartment which I shared with some friends during Art Basel. Our apartment had a large common room with a dining area and kitchen, two bedrooms, two bathrooms, and two small balconies.

Upsides:

-our apartment was spacious and had great views of the bay.
-balconies were a nice plus.
-affordable rates, especially during Art Basel when all hotel rooms in the city shoot up in price
-it's not South Beach but the location is good for Downtown: you're only a short walk from metro rail/mover and to a nice walking path that goes along the water.

Downsides:
-the buffet breakfast (though free) is pretty unpalatable.
-housekeeping was inadequate: I took a glass out of the cupboard and drank from it only to notice a few sips later that it had a big lipstick stain on the rim (not from me!) Really, really gross!
-service is not great. Staff I interacted with were pleasant but clearly over-extended.
-it was difficult to lock the balcony door securely (we were on a very high floor so it probably would have been fine to leave the door completely unlocked, but I still didn't like it)

Our apartment was furnished adequately and didn't look run down or visibly dirty as some other reviewers have described theirs as being. However, don't expect high end furniture or linens: my mattress was from Ikea.

From reading other reviews it seems like the quality of the individual apartments vary really wildly, and it sounds like my friends and I were pretty lucky with ours. Based on my own experience I would say Fortune House is a decent option to consider if you're looking for affordable housing for a group of friends or a family.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Southern Norway, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Got an apartement on the 26th floor with a bay view. Brilliant!
Othervise the apartement was nicely decorated with all we needed. Got two bedrooms (travelled with wife and in-laws). Valetparking was quick and rater cheap. Breakfast was plentyful and very good.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Davenport, Florida, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

My wife and I decided to take a mini romantic getaway last weekend. Choosing the Fortune House might not have been that great of an idea....

The hotel itself is very nice, especially for the location and price. The restaurant has decent food on the menu but please stay away from the food they got in the buffet! Also be ready to practice your spanish because nobody speaks english.

I was charged $10 a day for housekeeping and wifi wich is ridiculous because every hotel includes housekeeping and the wifi didnt even work n my suite they told me i had to move which there was no way I was going to pack my things again and move. Public busses and McDonalds even have wifi these days, really??

All these things were minor things that I didnt really let get to me until the staff started treating us with disrespect. My wife called the front desk in the morning to ask for towels and was told she had to come down to the font desk herself to get it. Then I go down to the front desk and have to wait in the front for almost 10 minutes with the gentleman who works at the door because the receptionist was in the office and couldnt hear him banging on the wall. She finally came out after almost 10 minutes and gave me an attitude as if I was bothering her? I think this staff is very unprofessional and rude ESPECIALLY THE HOTEL MANAGER JIMENA. I believe a manager should dress and act profecionally in a hotel, not curse in front of guests and dress as if she was going to the club like this one, OR FLIRT WITH MY WIFE TO THE POINT WHERE SHE BECAME EXTREMELY UNCOMFORTABLE.

I believe this hotel has a lot of potential they just need to choose and train their staff better.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

The location was not bad but this is by far the worst stay ive ever experienced.

There were a lot of hidden fees. I booked this hotel on Booking.com for $109 and when i arrived, they handed me a receipt with a lot of extra fees which came out to more than that. When i asked the girl wht those fees were for, she rudely responded to me that it says on the paper.

The elevators smelt really bad, a lot like paint thinners or some other chemicals. It was suffocating. When i got to my room, it was really hard to open the door (they use keys instead of key cards). I needed to put in a lot of strength to open it.

In the middle of the night, i was thirsty so i went to the kitchen. I saw a swarm of mites around the sink area and it was only around the sink. The next morning, they were gone.

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Fortune House Hotel? Share your experiences!