“Decent option for affordable group stay in Miami” 3 of 5 stars

Fortune House Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   185 SE 14 Terrace, Miami, FL 33131 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #76 of 131 hotels in Miami
San Francisco, California
“Decent option for affordable group stay in Miami”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I stayed here for several nights in December 2012 in a two bedroom apartment which I shared with some friends during Art Basel. Our apartment had a large common room with a dining area and kitchen, two bedrooms, two bathrooms, and two small balconies.

Upsides:

-our apartment was spacious and had great views of the bay.
-balconies were a nice plus.
-affordable rates, especially during Art Basel when all hotel rooms in the city shoot up in price
-it's not South Beach but the location is good for Downtown: you're only a short walk from metro rail/mover and to a nice walking path that goes along the water.

Downsides:
-the buffet breakfast (though free) is pretty unpalatable.
-housekeeping was inadequate: I took a glass out of the cupboard and drank from it only to notice a few sips later that it had a big lipstick stain on the rim (not from me!) Really, really gross!
-service is not great. Staff I interacted with were pleasant but clearly over-extended.
-it was difficult to lock the balcony door securely (we were on a very high floor so it probably would have been fine to leave the door completely unlocked, but I still didn't like it)

Our apartment was furnished adequately and didn't look run down or visibly dirty as some other reviewers have described theirs as being. However, don't expect high end furniture or linens: my mattress was from Ikea.

From reading other reviews it seems like the quality of the individual apartments vary really wildly, and it sounds like my friends and I were pretty lucky with ours. Based on my own experience I would say Fortune House is a decent option to consider if you're looking for affordable housing for a group of friends or a family.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

336 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Kristiansand, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Got an apartement on the 26th floor with a bay view. Brilliant!
Othervise the apartement was nicely decorated with all we needed. Got two bedrooms (travelled with wife and in-laws). Valetparking was quick and rater cheap. Breakfast was plentyful and very good.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Davenport, Florida, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

My wife and I decided to take a mini romantic getaway last weekend. Choosing the Fortune House might not have been that great of an idea....

The hotel itself is very nice, especially for the location and price. The restaurant has decent food on the menu but please stay away from the food they got in the buffet! Also be ready to practice your spanish because nobody speaks english.

I was charged $10 a day for housekeeping and wifi wich is ridiculous because every hotel includes housekeeping and the wifi didnt even work n my suite they told me i had to move which there was no way I was going to pack my things again and move. Public busses and McDonalds even have wifi these days, really??

All these things were minor things that I didnt really let get to me until the staff started treating us with disrespect. My wife called the front desk in the morning to ask for towels and was told she had to come down to the font desk herself to get it. Then I go down to the front desk and have to wait in the front for almost 10 minutes with the gentleman who works at the door because the receptionist was in the office and couldnt hear him banging on the wall. She finally came out after almost 10 minutes and gave me an attitude as if I was bothering her? I think this staff is very unprofessional and rude ESPECIALLY THE HOTEL MANAGER JIMENA. I believe a manager should dress and act profecionally in a hotel, not curse in front of guests and dress as if she was going to the club like this one, OR FLIRT WITH MY WIFE TO THE POINT WHERE SHE BECAME EXTREMELY UNCOMFORTABLE.

I believe this hotel has a lot of potential they just need to choose and train their staff better.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

The location was not bad but this is by far the worst stay ive ever experienced.

There were a lot of hidden fees. I booked this hotel on Booking.com for $109 and when i arrived, they handed me a receipt with a lot of extra fees which came out to more than that. When i asked the girl wht those fees were for, she rudely responded to me that it says on the paper.

The elevators smelt really bad, a lot like paint thinners or some other chemicals. It was suffocating. When i got to my room, it was really hard to open the door (they use keys instead of key cards). I needed to put in a lot of strength to open it.

In the middle of the night, i was thirsty so i went to the kitchen. I saw a swarm of mites around the sink area and it was only around the sink. The next morning, they were gone.

• Stayed October 2012
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Nice rooms, crazy and aggressive staffs, total discomfort, overpriced and hidden charges – Avoid this hotel and avoid nightmares.

The staffs are un-helpful, only duffer girls, make severe mistakes in reservations and repeatedly. You have serious threats to your stay at this hotel (search for my website specially made for this hotel. Search by name of this hotel). They threat for police if you don’t change room. I will never go again. Peace of mind is more important than anything else.

There are also several hidden charges. I paid more than $200 per night while the final price was shown $159 per night on Expedia. So you will always have to pay $50 to $100 per day extra for different mandatory stuffs that you never enjoy. I am going to charge back for damages and sufferings.

I didn’t understand first, why this hotel has got just 111 good reviews out of 211 and 100 negative reviews on Trip Advisor. It was remarkably half of the visitors who had bad experiences and majority of them had terrible experiences. But now I understand the reviewers completely.

Hotel is big but breakfast room is very small. A/C in restaurant is too cold and staffs don't agree to change temperature as they have manager's order. We got sick. Breakfast has no variation at all. So we had 11 days exactly same things or less to eat. Tea, milk etc with free breakfast need to be paid extra. Only water is free (strange).

Internet was much irritating as every 1-2 hour I needed to login. So you can't receive emails while sleeping and also can't use live help or you can’t receive calls if you use skype. Internet was also below the average speed.

You can't stay there even 5 minutes as they will bother you to move on. Even for pick-up or drop off they will ask you $7 every time if you take longer than 1 minute at their lawn. And mind you, you must pay everytime you come.

Reservation staff named Bruna forgot to extend my room and next day I heard that for 1 day I will have to go somewhere else as the hotel was fully booked for a wedding. They could have notified so that people who are for longer period could keep in mind. We were sent to some very bad one manned hotel and the Girl Thailmi reserved the room by that hotel on wrong date (one day earlier). So we faced surprices because that hotel was also fully book. the receptionist at that hotel after my requests managed one room. When came back to Fortune House, got worse room until I objected. We had to pull-up our luggage (4 suitcases) ourselves because nobody helped for 1 hour. Flight got cancelled due to Sandy and extended the stay but next day heard that the staff (Victor) again forgot to extend rooms. They compelled to go out or go to worse room. Bruna Threatened for Police if we don't leave the room because owner was coming to stay in that room (??). It was really terrible. If you want to 'enjoy' your Miami, don't go here.

Now I understand why more than half of reviews (112) on Tripadvisor are negative.
I would give -10 if it was possible. Except room there was nothing that was honest or professional. We lost 4 days in changing rooms every time. Staffs threatened for police and compelled to change rooms. 3 times rooms were not extended and we got problems. This is really a mis-managed hotel. There is nothing good to count. And what can I do with room if I can't stay there peacefully.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I had my reservations about this place, but it was a positive experience. First, let's get a few things out of the way, we went on a short weekend cruise for the weekend, and stayed here a few days as a staycation with some friends. Whatever the check in time is, 2 or 3, they mean it, our room was not ready before 3, which was actually kind of annoying. We went to south beach, had lunch, did a little shopping, came back, and that room still wasn't ready. And $20 for valet - yes I get it, going rate in Miami, still super annoying.

Anyway, we finally get into the room, and it was nice. We had one smaller room, and one larger room, both with their own bathrooms, main room with TV, full kitchen, and little dinning table. The view was gorgeous, overlooking the water and the Four Seasons hotel next door. Location was nice, quick trip over to South Beach, not too many restaurants in the immediate area (that we wanted to eat at), but overall good experience. Really nice gym and pool area - the hotel is really a condo with residents, but I guess they rent out rooms as well. Front desk staff very helpful, I would stay here again, it was a good experience.

There was even a washer/dryer in the unit, and a restaurant downstairs, our rate included a free breakfast buffet.

Room Tip: Get a room with a water view.