“Good Hotel, Bellman Staff "WAS" Great..” 3 of 5 stars

You added Fortune House Hotel to your Saves list
Fortune House Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   185 SE 14 Terrace, Miami, FL 33131 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #85 of 122 Hotels in Miami
“Good Hotel, Bellman Staff "WAS" Great..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012 via mobile

Ok were to start, the first thing I would like to say is that the brickell location is fantastic!! I really like this hotel been staying here for a while now on a family/business trip but one of the things I LOVE the most was an extremely positive and happy young man at the front of Bellman staff Sebastian, he would always make my day & would help me and my family with all our needs and have great attitude & things to say about the hotel he was working with so it made me and my love one's more secure about staying at the fortune house. Where are you sebastian :(? Well last but not least the restaurant food was delightfull and the girls working there as well, now me and my family would like to thank the fortune house for its service as well as the good price values of the rooms they have to offer. Thank you.

• Stayed March 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Alexandria, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

First rate hotel! I was very pleasantly surprised when we entered the hotel room... or should I say apartment! It was decorated to the hilt and had a wonderful balcony view of the bay. I really thought for the price, we would get a flea bag compared to the prices of the other hotels around, but it was nothing of the sort. The linen was fresh, the beds were comfortable, it had a better kitchen in it than I have at home (granite counter tops, stainless steel appliances, etc.) and the furniture/artwork was extremely stylish. The bathrooms were average but roomy and clean. I could have stayed here for a week but had to catch a cruise ship!! Very close commute to the Port of Miami (they offer shuttle service upon request for a small fee per person). The only thing I found possibly wrong was what others have commented on... breakfast was for 2 and I had 5 in my family, so had to pay an additional $13 for each of the kids, but we would have spent that at a restaurant so it was not a problem. Just know that going into it and it's all fine. The front desk were rather standoffish, but helpful when asked. This could be their attempt at being professional, but it came across as rather unapproachable. Once again, just a small factor in an overall WONDERFUL stay!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

I stayed at the Fortune House from dec 23 2011 to January 3 2012.There were times that the maid came to clean the place at 7 pm ,and because we had a baby this became a major setback.On the first day i noticed that the door lock was falling off and called front desk,when the service person showed did't speak english.And when i checked out, i paid the full amont in cash,the bill was closed and was told that has been paid in full.Then later they charged my Am.Express card without my authorization.We paid a nightly fee of 20 us dollars for parking,and everytime we needed the car, had to wait for a long time.Overall a bad experience,i will never stay at this place again,nor will recommend it to anybody.J.Coimbra

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Providenciales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

FlyguyUk is correct in saying they are privately owned condos which means varying standards.
We four girls needed a spacious place for a couple for nights before going on a cruise.We needed bathrooms,bedrooms and near the port,It was perfect for this.it is situated in Financial district with Publix supermarket and places to eat a few blocks away.Reasonably priced with two free breakfasts.Staff do not speak very good English which means confusion over food orders and front desk arrangements.Don't expect hotel service and all will be fine. Cleanliness varies as do room views and space.One couple complained to us of cockroach droppings and human hair in bed!We had upgraded onto 23rd floor and had great view of skyscrapers,sea,.Had new bathrooms with good showers, granite in kitchen and stainless steel appliances,plus crockery and cutlery.Quiet.Cleaner did not arrive to make beds till 5 p.m.It was fine for our needs.Airport to hotel was around $26-$30 depending on traffic.Pool on 6th floor is in shadow most of time and pigeon poo everywhere as they have taken up residency there.I did not fancy swimming with them as they preened themselves in the water..you cannot walk to a beach but nice stroll along the water's edge for photos.Close to free metro too. .

Room Tip: Don't accept if not to your liking.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

This is primarily a residential property in which some owners rent their condos through a managing agent. I am not sure that the checkin staff are pleased with this arrangement as the service can feel rather haphazard. My unit, 2209, felt like a spacious one-bedroom apartment with a pleasant city view. The upkeep was very lacking however: cracked floor tiles, mismatched cheap and slightly tatty furniture, rusted doors, and paint blotches on the dark carpet (which hadn't been vacuumed in ages; I made two requests to housekeeping to do so on my second day). The trick here is to request a modern, well-renovated unit. It is potluck really as each owner has their own idea of what is a pleasing, comfortable place. The breakfast is plentiful and in a nice environment. There is a well-equipped gym and a small pool, although not recommended for sunbathing as the many tall buildings surrounding the property block the sun. The free, yes free!, metromover stop is only 2 blocks away; one can marvel at the tangible improvements in downtown Miami whilst riding to Bayside or to connect to a South Beach bus from the centre.
Notice: they charge a daily 'facilities charge' here (plus tax) which is on top of any prepayment made through a booking website. Most sites avoid prominently mentioning this.

Room Tip: Ask for a recently renovated unit.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Boston, Ma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

My wife and I were staying in a city view room at fortune house for a few days before our honeymoon cruise. Upon arriving at 10 PM after a long flight we were told that we had already checked in. Obviously we had not done so. The individual at the desk then made a phone call to a supervisor and had us wait nearly 30 minutes before apologizing and telling us we were going to receive an upgraded room. We were then directed to a room that had just been vomited in, had an unmade bed and had a carpet dryer on the bedroom floor. We then went downstairs again and were made to wait before being given another room. At this point we just went upstairs and fell asleep in the relatively clean room. The next morning after looking out the balcony, we had been placed in a room facing a wall paying a rate for a city view room. Everyday I called, no manager was available and nothing was ever offered for compensation. This place has a beautiful entrance but a horrendous customer service. At one point I was told by the receptionist that I should have gone to another place if I was unhappy and not stayed my first night despite having been put through all of this trouble and not having been given a room until nearly midnight. I will never stay here again and urge you not to waste your money. They do not refund anything for their mistakes which are numerous.

Room Tip: Rip off hotel with HORRIBLE customer service.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Novi, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

My favorite part & service of this stay was the bellmen & valet service. Gustavo & Sebastian were superb with their service, direction and hospitality.

Not a bad location but a car is necessary to explore Miami.

Our 2 bedroom apt was fine.
The buffet breakfast included in our package was limited and the hot food warm at best.

Would most likely not stay again.

Room Tip: Two bedrooms are probably nicer.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Fortune House Hotel? Share your experiences!