“Miami, FL getaway” 3 of 5 stars

You added Fortune House Hotel to your Saves list
Fortune House Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   185 SE 14 Terrace, Miami, FL 33131 (Downtown)   |
Special Deal
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #56 of 112 Hotels in Miami
Novi, Michigan
“Miami, FL getaway”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

My favorite part & service of this stay was the bellmen & valet service. Gustavo & Sebastian were superb with their service, direction and hospitality.

Not a bad location but a car is necessary to explore Miami.

Our 2 bedroom apt was fine.
The buffet breakfast included in our package was limited and the hot food warm at best.

Would most likely not stay again.

Room Tip: Two bedrooms are probably nicer.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Rockland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

Had two different rooms booked, for a total of 8 people, The location was great, close to the people mover.

The front staff was very helpful, Would stay again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

We stayed at the Fortune House for one night in January, 2012 before a cruise. It is a good, central location in downtown Miami. There was a Publix within walking distance although we had to ask for directions because it is down a side street. This is not a standard hotel. Rather, it is a condominium unit which has full-time residents. The rooms and surroudnings were clean and the lobby actually smelled like soap. The rooms are definitely spacious and the full kitchen was a bonus. There was also a washer and dryer (although we didn't use it because we had just arrived in town). We ate lunch in the hotel lobby restaurant. Service was extremely slow and we were limited to what type of alcoholic beverages we could order because the bartender wasn't on duty.

My only complaint is upon arriving home our credit card had a separate charge from the Fortune House for $7.49. I called the hotel and they explained the charge was for the mini-bar. I told that we didn't use the mini-bar but we had noticed that there were 2 Coke bottles in the trash can when we arrived in the unit. They took my name and number and said they would get back to me. I waited two days and no one returned my call. I called again this morning and was assured that someone would look into it and get back to me. Hopefully they call me back and refund the charges.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Traverse City, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

Good central location. Great ocean view. Breakfast was nice. The hotel service was really good. And I liked the pool very much.

• Stayed June 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

I paid for the 2night package in the executive suite,upon checking in to the hotel or what I was told was a 4-star hotel,was quickly realized to be totally untrue. The front desk clerk did'nt know about the Groupon package special, she kept going to the back to get answers from her manager,it took about 15 minutes to check in.Once in the room I thought I was in a cheap motel. the kitchen which I didnt expect was semi clean,the microwave oven was burned & melted at the top, The furniture was old & Dirty nothing like the promotional photos. The bedroom had a cheap frame bed with no box-spring very hard to sleep on,the carpet was dirty with what looked like bodily fluid stains and to top it off there was no TV in the master bedroom, now that was a first.I called the front desk and was told that was the only room available at the time and to call back, when I called back i spoke with another person and they stated that the owner had removed the TV & that they would move me to another room well that didnt happen until the next day and the rooms were like night and day,the new room was much better.But the bad service continued to the restaurant they were out of steak, and we had to send the fish back twice because it was still frozen,also I was due $60.00 dinner credit but the waiter did'nt know anything about it and only gave me a $40.00 credit.I tried to see the manager upon checkout to express my dislikes and was told no-one was available.Then I was hit with a $21.00 resort fee that was never mentioned when I booked the room. We left feeling like the place was a Joke, We suggest that if you are looking for a nice clean,well trained staff hotel this is not the answer. Beware!!

Room Tip: Ask for newer furnished rooms and ask to see them before you purchase or move in them!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

We had two “rooms” which are actually apartments. One was single bedroom and the other had two bedrooms. The apartments were well equipped with a full kitchen (but no kettle in either apartment!) and two bathrooms in the two bedroom apartment. The pressure in one of the showers in the two bedroom apartment could have stripped paint off a car. If you want a hotel that is close to the action in Miami, this is not the place for you. Whilst there are restaurants and some shops nearby the majority are a 10-15 minute ride on the free Metromover away, this is fine during the day and evening but it stops operation around midnight. Overall this hotel was great value for money. **Visited March 2010**

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

My SO and I stayed one night in Miami at Fortune House - it's the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. The run down - as we pulled up to the Valet, Miami police officers were entering the building. That should have been a sign. Not sure what the problem was. During our check in, the front desk clerk kept stalling our check in procedure to help other guests who would randomly approach the counter to inquire on different things. Finally, we went up to the room and was surprised to see a kitchen en suite - and more surprised to see stark cold accomadation for $189 per night. Then the tiled floors - filthy, sticky. Bedroom carpeting - my toes curled just looking at it. I did not remove my shoes the entire time. Furnishings in the place looked second hand and run down. A dirty "suede" sofa pushed right up to a tv, make shift dining room with wrought iron dining chairs. I did not venture into the kitchen for fear that I would lose sleep over what I would see. The bathroom had an odd smell to it that resembled roach spray. The bathroom drain and the sink drain were clogged. I could not stand in the shower to bathe properly for fear of what would come back up through the drain.

THEN,,, bed time. The bed was hard and lumpy, the pillows were of cheap foam. The sheets were the rough and there was one flat sheet on the bed with one coverlette. When I pulled back the coverlette... a DRIED BLOODSTAIN on the back end of the coverlette. I freaked out, so disgusted. pushed the coverlette onto the floor and tried to contain my emotions because we were both VERY tired after driving a long way from Key West. We laid down to sleep and then the dog barking started. The accomadation seems to be mixed with rentals and suites so you have permanent residents in the building with dogs. Between listening to 3 different dogs bark and hearing a man shout at his dog to "shut the f-up" I was on the brink of finally falling asleep when the shouting and fireworks began outside

The next morning I came to find small red itching bites on both my arms and upon inspection of my luggage I have discovered bed bugs. What ever you do, do not stay here. It's not all that inexpensive when you consider we paid $189 through expedia for the room, an additional $20 for valet (there is no other option for parking) and I have incurred an additional $100 expense to have my clothes dry cleaned because of the bed bug infestation in the apartment. I still don't know what to do with my suitcase.. do I throw it out? We basically rented someones ill kept, filthy, bed bug infested apartment for $300 (all expenses accrued).
You will REGRET it if you stay here.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Fortune House Hotel? Share your experiences!