“Good value in off season and for UM parents” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove

You added Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove to your Saves list
Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2835 Tigertail Avenue, Coconut Grove, Miami, FL 33133 (Coconut Grove)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #67 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Ashland, OR
“Good value in off season and for UM parents”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

Although not quite as plush as other Residence Inn's I've stayed at, this hotel is a good value and is conveniently located near University of Miami. We were upgraded from a studio to the a spacious one bedroom. The kitchen has the essentials--so buying groceries and cooking here is a good option. Continental breakfast is the the similar to what you get at other chains--nothing really special--but this is a nice convenience. If you stay here in the off season, you can get an excellent rate and don't forget to ask about your AAA discount and Free parking for AAA members. It's too far to walk to UM from here, but it is a short drive. The hotel is located in the nice area of Coconut Grove--be cautious if you try to walk up to the university as the neighborhood between Coconut Grove and Coral Gables is a little sketchy.

Room Tip: Ask for AAA discount or special rates for University of Miami if applicable.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Long Branch, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

When we checked in they could not find a room for us. They had them but were looking to give us one of the most recent updated rooms. After a half hour Jenny had us squared away and she placed us in a two room suite in the newly renovated building. This hotel does not look anything like a Residence INN that i have stayed in. Our suite was fresh, very clean and the beds were very comfortable. Breakfast was very good and standard fare. We were within minutes of Coconut Grove and in less then 10 minutes walked there. The key was our visit to UM the next morning where we traveled in about 10 minutes by car. Thanks to Jenny for taking care of us and our upgrade.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

Very nice location in a walking distance from coco walk and nice restaurants. Hotel rooms are good but needs some remodeling. If you are staying for long periods, it is an great option. Parking is expensive. Friendly staff. I would for sure stay again in this hotel.

Stayed August 2014
Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

Disappointing Residence Inn. The manager can reply to this with the copy and paste "we are undergoing renovations" (thank's Tripadvisor, that really adds to the experience) but this place needed redesigned and then renovated years ago.

Fitness center and pool were both extremely small. There are 5 floors in the main building and a couple of other smaller buildings, the fitness center is smaller than a single hotel room.

Breakfast was good, basically the standard fare. "Managers special" or whatever they call Tues-Thurs meals were hit and miss, nothing I would pay for. Free beer is nice, but I would rather have decent food. I suppose that is subjective.

Rooms were extremely dated. Hampton Inn less than a mile away has free breakfast and free parking and is a better building.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Dan R, General Manager at Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Hello Falqon and thank you for your comments and for staying with us. I understand your concerns. Yes, we are currently in the throws of a very extensive and comprehensive renovation. In fact phase one is nearly complete and we are extremely excited. We anticipate being completely done this Fall and are extremely proud of what will surely be an outstanding hotel. The fitness center does have Life Fitness branded equipment complete with 3 treadmills, 2 elliptical trainers as well as a recumbent bike and dumbbells. We do provide 3 complementary hospitalities each week and the menu changes daily as well as weekly. The offerings will change later in the year to give a fresh appeal to our events.

I do hope that you will return so that you may see the changes that we make.

Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

Upon our arrival at the Residence Inn C.G., I was helping with the luggage & my husband checked us in. When we got to the room, it was not the King Suite with pullout bed we requested. I called downstairs, and they explained that they had given us the wrong room type. I explained that we had booked a King. She replied that she had the reservation and that's not what we booked. I explained that my husband was on speaker bluetooth in the car when we reserved, and we both know what we booked. She explained they don't even have a King room. I said, "How could you offer a King bed if you don't have it?" She replied, "Well, we have a King, but only in a suite with a pullout couch." I said, "But that's what I said we booked!" to which she replied, "No, you didn't. Besides, we can't give you that room anyway. It's booked." After slapping my head, I gave up for now- we were due to meet the family that asked us to stay at this hotel to be close to them. First, my husband called to ask them why we couldn't connect our wireless devices. They connected us to IT who put us on hold for 15 minutes. He them explained that we had too many devices connected. My husband explained that we had only arrived in the room, and had NO devices connected. The IT guy kept telling us we had to disconnect our extra devices. Again my husband tried to explain, a third time, the IT said the same. My husband was in disbelief at this conversation and we gave up, again, for now.
A few hours later, we called the hotel before we went back to try & resolve the room situation. A man named Corey explained to me that I had booked this room. Again I explained that I would not have booked a double, since we only book King. He was so condescending, it was incredible. I finally asked, "Corey…has reservations at Marriott EVER made a booking mistake? I am just curious." He admitted that yes, they had. So I asked him if it was at all possible that they had made a mistake. He admitted yes, it was. So when I tired to ask him to book us into the correct room, his answer was? (drumroll, please…) "WELL, Ma'am…THIS is the room you booked!" *sigh*... fellow Trip Advisors…I was out of there. Not only are they incapable of customer service, the rooms are sad and small, there was hair in the sink I had to clean out, the halls are drab and dim, and besides the incredible location (which is incredible) , do not expect anything from this hotel. They should take a lesson from Marriott Jacksonville at Mayo that I stopped in recently which was stellar on every level. Better yet, they could take a lesson from the wonderful Hyatt Coral Gables that checked us in an hour later with no hassle, and all class.

Room Tip: Service was so bad, we checked out before staying the night.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dan R, General Manager at Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Thank You for your comments and I am so sorry for the experience you had. I know we have no person named Corey on property so I believe you must have been speaking to central reservations. In any case I do apologize. Please know that we are currently under renovation and I do hope you will give us a second chance. We will be through in the Fall and I an certain you will be impressed.

Sag Harbor, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

This property is relatively small but laid out nicely, making great use of the limited space. The hotel has a nice pool patio area in the center/courtyard, with BBQ grills available for guest use. Amy and her staff keep the recently renovated property in nice shape.

Keep in mind that street parking is metered or you can pay for overnight parking at the hotel.

The very comprehensive buffet breakfast was terrific. In the evening there were nicely good burgers, salads etc. and draft beer. All of the food was included in the price of the room.

Within walking distance is CocoWalk, an indoor/outdoor collection of shops, restaurants and a movie theatre.

The University of Miami is a short distance down the road. We stayed here when we visited the Miami Seaquarium in nearby Key Biscayne. It was a short 20 minute drive from the hotel.

I would recommend this hotel for business travelers as well as vacationing families.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

Extremely disappointing, dirty and overpriced. We were there during Spring Break which explains the high cost. No where near a beach or anything to do except eat and drink. Pull out couch mattress was gross and dirty tissues in bedroom. Asked to be moved and told nothing available. Outside road construction made it dusty and noisy at the pool. Had to go to front desk ask for pool towels and waited forever for them. Having stayed at the Residence Inn in Tucson, this place was a let down.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dan R, General Manager at Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Thank You so much for your feedback and for staying with us.. It appears as though we did not meet your expectations or our own. I do apologize for the lack of service that you received. Please know that we will ensure that we use your comments for further training of our staff. Also please not that our hotel is receiving a very comprehensive renovation that will be finished in the fall and I know that you will be impressed with the finished product.

Dan Rutan

Been to Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove? Share your experiences!