“Great place!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove

Save Saved
You added Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove to your Saves list
Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2835 Tigertail Avenue, Coconut Grove, Miami, FL 33133 (Coconut Grove)   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
Free Breakfast
Ranked #64 of 130 hotels in Miami
“Great place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

I was student at Kaplan International Center and had a stay of 8 weeks at the Residence Inn. The hotel is very well located near the Marina and Coco Walk (shops, restaurants, cinema and people to meet with)
It was just perfect; Safe, clean and quiet with a nice General Manager and Staff. I strongly recommend that place where I would surely return if I have the chance to come back at Miami.

• Stayed November 2013
Dan R, General Manager at Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Thank You so much for your comments and for staying with us. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay and it was our pleasure to serve you. We look forward to your return.

183 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Ocean City, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel many times since our son started attending University of Miami in 2005. We are Marriott Platinum members and always stay in a Residence Inn. The location of the hotel is walking distance to Coconut Grove and it is nice to have a full kitchen and breakfast every morning but this hotel definitely needs to be renovated.The place has gone down in the past 8 years and before parking was free now it is $20/night. Our room was filled with mixed matched old furniture, the sofa was worn and dirty, the mattress sagged in the middle and overall the place did not seem very clean. Our room faced Tigertail Road, which is a very busy and noisy street. There is a lot of truck traffic during the day and then late night partiers from the clubs in the area. Across from us there was a long row of air conditioners that were very loud and because of this we could not leave the siding door open or enjoy being out on the patio. We were told that there are plans to renovate in 2014 but we were also told that during our February visit.

Room Tip: Do not get a room facing Tigertail Road.
Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dan R, General Manager at Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Thank You so much for your comments and I am so glad you are a guest who comes every year. You had commented on renovation. The hotel is under new ownership since June 2013. The previous ownership renovated the Lobby and Breakfast area in 2012 and then they had planned to renovate guest rooms in 2013 and that makes sense since they told you in February that they were going to. They then sold the hotel. We are absolutely renovating our Guest rooms in 2014 and know that you will be very pleased with the outcome. Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to serving you for years to come.

Oswego, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

The title of the reviewis also the name of the front desk lady who checked us in. Many times as you travel to different cities the staff is indifferent and you are treated as just another customer. Not so with this lady. Carolina did everything she could to please our request for such things as a quiet room location and taking time to small talk. The location of this hotel is within a 10 minute stroll of Cocowalk which is known as a premier open-air shopping, dining and entertainment destination. Be sure to go there. The outdoor pool at the Residence has cool water but I don't believe it is heated. The rooms while somewhat dated are very comfortable, come with 2 televisions, a pull out couch-bed, computer desk, full sized refeigerator, microwave and all dishes and utensils. A no charge breakfast is also served.

Room Tip: Our qiet room was building 2 on the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dan R, General Manager at Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Thank You so much for your comments and for staying with us. I know Carolina has read your review and we are so happy that you enjoyed your stay and that you were delighted with the service that Carolina provided.

We look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Freeport, Grand Bahama Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

...Love this hotel...Nice frendly front desk people...Room was nice, with a full kitchen...Gated resort, walking distance to Coconut Grove Nitelife...Thanks to Lost and Found dept. (Hilma)for my DVDs.....ONLY 1 BAD THING,THEY CHARGE GUESTS $20 PER DAY, TO PARK..

Room Tip: ...lower floors..one night the elevator jolted to a stop..After that, I always used the stairs...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dan R, General Manager at Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
I'm So glad you enjoyed your stay and Thank You so much for staying with us. Yes, we do charge a fee for parking. Parking in Miami is challenging and we do charge a fee, as do all other hotels in the area.

We look forward to seeing you on your return trip.

East Lansing, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

So I have to start by saying I am a Marriott Platinum member and always try to stay at a Marriott when traveling. When I travel with my family, which was the case for this trip, I try to book a Residence Inn. We love RI and it has never disappointed us...until now. We were in Miami for a wedding and the group hotel was the Mutiny (I will also review that) but I decided to get the points and stay credits and stay at the RI Coconut Grove instead. We were able to book a 2 bedroom 2 bath for the same price as the discounted rate at The Mutiny and this hotel was walking distance. What a mistake. To say this hotel needs renovation is an understatement.

We arrived and the front desk people were very pleasant, I asked for a larger 2 BR suite and they gave me "the best and largest one that has a balcony". Wow -we entered the room and it was VERY small, the "balcony" was a small concrete box with white fence that overlooked the street/parking lot, no furniture or anything. The 2nd bathroom was so small my teenage kids could hardly get in and out of it without the door hitting the toilet. But the worst and most disgusting thing was the bloodstains on the pullout sleeper sofa that my son was supposed to sleep on!!! The carpet was dirty and in bad shape and honestly I felt we needed to wear HazMat suits to even stay there! Since we arrived late and The Mutiny was sold out we gutted it out for one night and thankfully were able to move to the Mutiny for the second night which for the same price was LOVELY. I will add that the service was good - we left for dinner and let the front desk know about the bloodstains and they were cleaned and gone upon our return. Still...YUCK.

The only reason I'm giving this 2 stars instead of 1 is because the common room for breakfast looks like it has been renovated and was very nice. Breakfast was the usual RI fare and just fine. We sat in a booth with a TV in it which was nice. If they took the time to renovate the entire hotel it would be much better.

Finally our local friends told us this is in a seedy area of town which seemed to be the case. Total disappointment.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank You so much for your comments and for staying with us. Clearly we missed our mark concerning those stains. I am so very sorry but am glad that our staff responded and was able to take care of your needs. We have just purchased this property and although I feel your experience is the exception rather than the norm please know that we will be undergoing extensive room renovations in 2014. The hotel is located in a nice suburban area right next door to the Ritz Carlton and with in walking distance to CocoWalk. We do feel that the area is safe and has a quaint neighborhood feel.

San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We stayed just recently at The Residence Inn Coconut Grove for three nights, and we were pleasantly surprised. We booked a two bedroom suite and it was a nice, spacious and a very well kept suite. Parking inside the hotel property was great, and the nightly charge was $10, another nice surprise. We surely recommend this property because of its location and value for money.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dan R, General Manager at Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Hello SRA0110, Thank you for your comments and for staying with us. I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to your return visit.

New Brunswick, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

It's a little scary that Marriott considers this to be a "level 4" hotel. If that's the case, I would be mortified to stay at a "level 3", no less a "level 1". I can only guess that level 1 is a trailer with an outhouse....
When I opened up the door of my "2 room suite", I was met with an intense smell of insecticide. Despite opening a window, I became nauseated. The manager did change my room to one with only a very mild odor..
This hotel, by the way, appears to be a redone (but not recently) motor inn, with all rooms entered from the outside.
Another issue was the parking garage - over filled with a broken gate that held me out despite 12 tries at the key card.
All in all, when I stay at hotels like this, I wonder why Marriott allows them, because I am less likely to stay at another Marriott after staying at the Coconut Grove Residence Inn....

Room Tip: To choose a good room, stay at another hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dan R, General Manager at Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Hello Arthur P, Thank you for your comments. I do apologize that we failed to meet and exceed your expectations. Although the hotel is certainly on Par with the other area hotels please know that this hotel has been under new ownership for just a few short months and we are planning renovation in 2014. I did check out the gate and it does operate as it should at this time. I do hope you will give us another try upon return to Miami.

Dan Rutan

Been to Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove? Share your experiences!