“Carolina” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove

Save Saved
You added Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove to your Saves list
Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2835 Tigertail Avenue, Coconut Grove, Miami, FL 33133 (Coconut Grove)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Deal
Free Breakfast
Ranked #71 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Oswego, New York
“Carolina”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

The title of the reviewis also the name of the front desk lady who checked us in. Many times as you travel to different cities the staff is indifferent and you are treated as just another customer. Not so with this lady. Carolina did everything she could to please our request for such things as a quiet room location and taking time to small talk. The location of this hotel is within a 10 minute stroll of Cocowalk which is known as a premier open-air shopping, dining and entertainment destination. Be sure to go there. The outdoor pool at the Residence has cool water but I don't believe it is heated. The rooms while somewhat dated are very comfortable, come with 2 televisions, a pull out couch-bed, computer desk, full sized refeigerator, microwave and all dishes and utensils. A no charge breakfast is also served.

Room Tip: Our qiet room was building 2 on the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dan R, General Manager at Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Thank You so much for your comments and for staying with us. I know Carolina has read your review and we are so happy that you enjoyed your stay and that you were delighted with the service that Carolina provided.

We look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Dan Rutan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Freeport, Grand Bahama Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

...Love this hotel...Nice frendly front desk people...Room was nice, with a full kitchen...Gated resort, walking distance to Coconut Grove Nitelife...Thanks to Lost and Found dept. (Hilma)for my DVDs.....ONLY 1 BAD THING,THEY CHARGE GUESTS $20 PER DAY, TO PARK..

Room Tip: ...lower floors..one night the elevator jolted to a stop..After that, I always used the stairs...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dan R, General Manager at Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
I'm So glad you enjoyed your stay and Thank You so much for staying with us. Yes, we do charge a fee for parking. Parking in Miami is challenging and we do charge a fee, as do all other hotels in the area.

We look forward to seeing you on your return trip.

East Lansing, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

So I have to start by saying I am a Marriott Platinum member and always try to stay at a Marriott when traveling. When I travel with my family, which was the case for this trip, I try to book a Residence Inn. We love RI and it has never disappointed us...until now. We were in Miami for a wedding and the group hotel was the Mutiny (I will also review that) but I decided to get the points and stay credits and stay at the RI Coconut Grove instead. We were able to book a 2 bedroom 2 bath for the same price as the discounted rate at The Mutiny and this hotel was walking distance. What a mistake. To say this hotel needs renovation is an understatement.

We arrived and the front desk people were very pleasant, I asked for a larger 2 BR suite and they gave me "the best and largest one that has a balcony". Wow -we entered the room and it was VERY small, the "balcony" was a small concrete box with white fence that overlooked the street/parking lot, no furniture or anything. The 2nd bathroom was so small my teenage kids could hardly get in and out of it without the door hitting the toilet. But the worst and most disgusting thing was the bloodstains on the pullout sleeper sofa that my son was supposed to sleep on!!! The carpet was dirty and in bad shape and honestly I felt we needed to wear HazMat suits to even stay there! Since we arrived late and The Mutiny was sold out we gutted it out for one night and thankfully were able to move to the Mutiny for the second night which for the same price was LOVELY. I will add that the service was good - we left for dinner and let the front desk know about the bloodstains and they were cleaned and gone upon our return. Still...YUCK.

The only reason I'm giving this 2 stars instead of 1 is because the common room for breakfast looks like it has been renovated and was very nice. Breakfast was the usual RI fare and just fine. We sat in a booth with a TV in it which was nice. If they took the time to renovate the entire hotel it would be much better.

Finally our local friends told us this is in a seedy area of town which seemed to be the case. Total disappointment.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank You so much for your comments and for staying with us. Clearly we missed our mark concerning those stains. I am so very sorry but am glad that our staff responded and was able to take care of your needs. We have just purchased this property and although I feel your experience is the exception rather than the norm please know that we will be undergoing extensive room renovations in 2014. The hotel is located in a nice suburban area right next door to the Ritz Carlton and with in walking distance to CocoWalk. We do feel that the area is safe and has a quaint neighborhood feel.

San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We stayed just recently at The Residence Inn Coconut Grove for three nights, and we were pleasantly surprised. We booked a two bedroom suite and it was a nice, spacious and a very well kept suite. Parking inside the hotel property was great, and the nightly charge was $10, another nice surprise. We surely recommend this property because of its location and value for money.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dan R, General Manager at Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Hello SRA0110, Thank you for your comments and for staying with us. I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to your return visit.

New Brunswick, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

It's a little scary that Marriott considers this to be a "level 4" hotel. If that's the case, I would be mortified to stay at a "level 3", no less a "level 1". I can only guess that level 1 is a trailer with an outhouse....
When I opened up the door of my "2 room suite", I was met with an intense smell of insecticide. Despite opening a window, I became nauseated. The manager did change my room to one with only a very mild odor..
This hotel, by the way, appears to be a redone (but not recently) motor inn, with all rooms entered from the outside.
Another issue was the parking garage - over filled with a broken gate that held me out despite 12 tries at the key card.
All in all, when I stay at hotels like this, I wonder why Marriott allows them, because I am less likely to stay at another Marriott after staying at the Coconut Grove Residence Inn....

Room Tip: To choose a good room, stay at another hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dan R, General Manager at Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Hello Arthur P, Thank you for your comments. I do apologize that we failed to meet and exceed your expectations. Although the hotel is certainly on Par with the other area hotels please know that this hotel has been under new ownership for just a few short months and we are planning renovation in 2014. I did check out the gate and it does operate as it should at this time. I do hope you will give us another try upon return to Miami.

Shifnal, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I have stayed in a fair number of Marriott Hotels she is an Elite card holder. First things first thank you for the upgrade which was appreciated. The rooms did look a little tired and could do with some upgrades to the furniture. The bed in particular sagged badly and by the time the night was over my wife and I were in a sleepy hollow. If we had stayed longer we would have mentioned it. I'd like to praise Cynthia who was an excellent front of desk in comparison to some male members of front desk who's grasp of English was poor and it was frustrating to try to get answers about the area or when we complained about a cleaner entering the room when we had left a note on the door asking to leave the room undisturbed. Cynthia on the other hand knew exactly who we were and referred to us by name so good service there.
Secure parking was good though perhaps it should be included in the price rather than an extra.The breakfast was good enough to start the day off. Adequate but not special unlike other Marriotts we have stayed in. We use Marriotts brand because of the high standards we usually receive.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dan R, General Manager at Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thanks you so much for your comments and for staying with us. I will certainly pass your praise on to Cynthia and make sure the staff is following her example. Please be aware that the hotel is under new ownership since June 2013 and we are planning a full renovation in 2014. We look forward to seeing you again.

Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Hi! I stayed here for a couple of weeks while staying with a friend that had surgery at the local hospital. If you call this residence inn directly and talk to the sales director they will give you a great hospital rate and discounted parking rate too. It was so very handy to us and as 2 women we felt very safe too.
You can also walk to Coconut Grove shopping/restaurant area as it is just a few blocks.
I would for sure stay here with my family if I were to come visit again.
I did hear a dog barking but that was only when we would walk out the door...other than that I never heard the dog.
The breakfast in the morning is very nice and lots of places to sit.
The front desk and maid service is very responsive and kind.
This is not close to the beach. We drove out one day but the traffic was horrible.
If you pick the smallest room like we did ask for the TRIANGLE room with the double beds. It is largest for the same price.

Room Tip: for the smallest room ask for the triangle room with the double beds...the room is the largest of th...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dan R, General Manager at Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay! Thank You for staying with us and we hope to see you again.

Dan Rutan

Been to Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove? Share your experiences!