“Badly in need of a renovation” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove

Save Saved
You added Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove to your Saves list
Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2835 Tigertail Avenue, Coconut Grove, Miami, FL 33133 (Coconut Grove)   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
Free Breakfast
Ranked #64 of 130 hotels in Miami
New Brunswick, New Jersey
“Badly in need of a renovation”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

It's a little scary that Marriott considers this to be a "level 4" hotel. If that's the case, I would be mortified to stay at a "level 3", no less a "level 1". I can only guess that level 1 is a trailer with an outhouse....
When I opened up the door of my "2 room suite", I was met with an intense smell of insecticide. Despite opening a window, I became nauseated. The manager did change my room to one with only a very mild odor..
This hotel, by the way, appears to be a redone (but not recently) motor inn, with all rooms entered from the outside.
Another issue was the parking garage - over filled with a broken gate that held me out despite 12 tries at the key card.
All in all, when I stay at hotels like this, I wonder why Marriott allows them, because I am less likely to stay at another Marriott after staying at the Coconut Grove Residence Inn....

Room Tip: To choose a good room, stay at another hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dan R, General Manager at Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Hello Arthur P, Thank you for your comments. I do apologize that we failed to meet and exceed your expectations. Although the hotel is certainly on Par with the other area hotels please know that this hotel has been under new ownership for just a few short months and we are planning renovation in 2014. I did check out the gate and it does operate as it should at this time. I do hope you will give us another try upon return to Miami.

187 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Nuneaton, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I have stayed in a fair number of Marriott Hotels she is an Elite card holder. First things first thank you for the upgrade which was appreciated. The rooms did look a little tired and could do with some upgrades to the furniture. The bed in particular sagged badly and by the time the night was over my wife and I were in a sleepy hollow. If we had stayed longer we would have mentioned it. I'd like to praise Cynthia who was an excellent front of desk in comparison to some male members of front desk who's grasp of English was poor and it was frustrating to try to get answers about the area or when we complained about a cleaner entering the room when we had left a note on the door asking to leave the room undisturbed. Cynthia on the other hand knew exactly who we were and referred to us by name so good service there.
Secure parking was good though perhaps it should be included in the price rather than an extra.The breakfast was good enough to start the day off. Adequate but not special unlike other Marriotts we have stayed in. We use Marriotts brand because of the high standards we usually receive.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dan R, General Manager at Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thanks you so much for your comments and for staying with us. I will certainly pass your praise on to Cynthia and make sure the staff is following her example. Please be aware that the hotel is under new ownership since June 2013 and we are planning a full renovation in 2014. We look forward to seeing you again.

Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Hi! I stayed here for a couple of weeks while staying with a friend that had surgery at the local hospital. If you call this residence inn directly and talk to the sales director they will give you a great hospital rate and discounted parking rate too. It was so very handy to us and as 2 women we felt very safe too.
You can also walk to Coconut Grove shopping/restaurant area as it is just a few blocks.
I would for sure stay here with my family if I were to come visit again.
I did hear a dog barking but that was only when we would walk out the door...other than that I never heard the dog.
The breakfast in the morning is very nice and lots of places to sit.
The front desk and maid service is very responsive and kind.
This is not close to the beach. We drove out one day but the traffic was horrible.
If you pick the smallest room like we did ask for the TRIANGLE room with the double beds. It is largest for the same price.

Room Tip: for the smallest room ask for the triangle room with the double beds...the room is the largest of th...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dan R, General Manager at Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay! Thank You for staying with us and we hope to see you again.

palm coast, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

This hotel was in a nice neighborhood and near the main part Coconut Grove. We enjoyed walking to the great local restaurants in the shopping areas The staff was very helpful, efficient and customer service oriented.
We had a one room suite with a well equipped kitchen, which was very satisfactory for us. They had a nice breakfast buffet. They also had a social From 6 to 730 in the evenings with wine and beer and soft drinks, but we were never there to attend that.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dan R, General Manager at Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us! I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to your next visit.

Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

I'm generally a big fan of Marriott Residence Inn because I enjoy the benefits of the Residence Inn's two bedroom suites when I'm traveling with my son. I chose this hotel for that reason, and it was relatively close to the University of Miami, they have a special university rate, and we had an early tour booked. The hotel lobby is fine and looks more modern than the rest of the property. The rooms are in need of an update. With that said, I have to admit that the beds are extremely comfortable, we had a wonderful night's sleep, and the breakfast buffet was tasty. Not too sure about the immediate surrounding neighborhood but the front desk clerk assured us it was a safe neighborhood. We discoverd that there are a lot of stores, restaurants, shops within a 10 minute walk. We walked to the Peacock Garden Cafe for dinner, which was absolutely delicious!

The university rate made this stay a bargain, but I'm not sure I would stay here if I had to pay full price...don't think it would be worth the money.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dan R, General Manager at Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Thank You so much for staying with us. I'm so glad you had a comfortable night sleep and enjoyed the Breakfast. We are right next door to Coco Walk and all the outstanding shopping that you enjoyed. As of June this year the hotel is under new ownership and management as a result we are planning a very extensive renovation in 2014. Were sure do hope to see you on your return trip through Coconut Grove.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

The furniture was dirty. The inside of the kitchen cabinets were extremely worn as were the bathroom cabinets. I did not dare put my bare feet on the carpet. One of the beds did not have a headboard so if you sit up in bed and lean back you are leaning against tired drapes.

• Stayed August 2013
Dan R, General Manager at Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us and for your comments. I am so sorry that your room did not live up to your expectations. The hotel is under new ownership and although I believe the room you stayed in was the exception and not the norm we are doing a full renovation next year. I do hope you will give us another try.

San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

My Husband and I took a much needed vacation to Miami and found this wonderful hotel online due to the excellent price and the area of Coconut Grove. Cynthia, at the front desk, was incredibly helpful, professional and friendly, answering all of my questions regarding our stay and what to expect. What makes this hotel a true gem is what others have been commenting...the EXCELLENT STAFF! Richard, the Chief Engineer, was attentive, professional, yet extremely personable with all the residents dining there, having friendly, jovial chats with everyone around. He made you feel truly welcomed. Didn't seem like we were staying at a hotel, but someone's house. Gilma, Executive Housekeeper, was such a sweetheart, enthusiastically asking us about our travels and also making us feel at home.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dan R, General Manager at Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Hello Espanola76, I am so delighted that you experienced such a great stay! I have to agree that we do have an excellent staff. I will be sure to pass your comments on to Gilma, Richard and the entire staff. We look forwrd to your return.

Dan Rutan

Been to Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove? Share your experiences!