“okay hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove

You added Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove to your Saves list
Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2835 Tigertail Avenue, Coconut Grove, Miami, FL 33133 (Coconut Grove)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Advanced Purchase Promo
Ranked #53 of 110 Hotels in Miami
“okay hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

Based on this hotel's overall ranking I was not expecting much. We had originally booked at the Courtyard Marriott in Coral Gables, but when we got there (after midnight), the last room left didn't have a working air conditioner. So they got us a replacement room at this Residence Inn a few blocks away. The parking deck at the Residence Inn charges a daily rate ($15, I think) which is annoying since other nearby hotels don't (like the Courtyard). The room was clean. The king size bed was comfortable. Like a lot of Florida hotels, there was a humid feeling the whole time like the air conditioner couldn't quite keep up. The kitchenette in the room seemed older but recently repainted. The bathroom was small. The sheets and bed linens were comfortable, but our towels seemed thin and scratchy. Access to the rooms is from the exterior -- not an interior hall -- which seemed a little low-end considering the rate for the room. The breakfast buffet (free) looked really good, but the manager was really, really rude to me about the waffle iron. My waffle stuck, and he asked rudely if I'd used a special spray first. I hadn't, but I had followed the directions on a large printed poster. And at a Drury and Hampton recently, the waffle irons didn't require me to spray them first. He was really irritated and started scraping my waffle off, even though I was going to do that myself and eat it in parts. I just grabbed a yogurt and left, really irritated, after that. I wouldn't stay at this hotel again, but there's nothing really wrong with it.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Melissa R, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this review, October 30, 2011
Dear Yaelyo,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a response for our hotel. We greatly appreciate very comment our guest make. I do apologize that our parking fee did not accommodate your expectations, in comparison to the Courtyard Coral Gables; our area is within walking distance to local shops, restaurants, and bars. Since the hotel is located in such an active area we charge a fee for parking spaces, though we do provide gated parking, and underground parking, unlike the Courtyard in Coral Gables. Our management staff has reviewed our parking fee, and at current time we have the lowest parking fee compared to the nearby hotels. Our hotel is considered to be Custom Residence Inn, and allows guest that would normally not be able to experience Florida weather and greenery to be placed in the midst of it. We apologize if your experience during breakfast deterred you from enjoying the free breakfast buffet. I invite you to reach out to me a give our hotel a second chance, we pride ourselves in giving guest our best service. Though you have stated that you would not stay at this hotel again I implore you to give us the ability to surpass your expectation that we seemed to have come up short on. Thank you again for your review, I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

I just returned from a stay at this hotel. The entire experience was extremely enjoyable. The staff was efficient and courteous. The complimentary breakfast was more than adequate and the rooms were spacious and clean. I will definitely stay there next time I am in that area of Florida.

Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Dear 218ReginaC,
I would first like to thank you for having chosen to stay with us in trip to Coconut Grove. Also thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. I am very pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you are looking forward to returning to us again in the future. Please feel free to reach out to me for your future reservation. Again thank you and please feel free to contact me.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

We have spent nearly three weeks here while our house is being renovated. I was a little concerned about staying here given the uneven reviews I had read on Tripadvisor.

I have only wonderful things to say about our stay. The staff go above and beyond every day. Everyone is friendly, they always ask if everything is going okay with our stay, if there is anything that is needed, and if they can help with anything.

During our stay the hotel had a large group staying here and the service did not suffer one bit. I think it is remarkable that all the staff are friendly and polite from housekeeping, grounds, front desk staff to the General Manager. Everyone pitches in to do whatever is necessary.

The rooms are clean, spacious, and quiet. We could not hear anything from other rooms and there was very little noise from the hall even though we were right next to the stairs.

The complimentary breakfast buffet has everything anyone could want to eat -- 4 kinds of cereal and hot oatmeal, scrambled eggs, waffles, juice, "egg mcmuffin" type sandwiches, sausage, pancakes, toast, muffins, bagels, coffee, 4 kinds of juice, etc.

The pool was nice and warm and the children and I enjoyed several swims in it.

Parking at the hotel is convenient and secure.

The hotel is within walking distance of all main retail part (stores/restaurants) the Grove.

The general manager Sam Kelly does a fabulous job of running this hotel.

I recommend staying here without hesitation!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Dear Anne M,
I would like to thank you for having chosen to stay with us while your house was being renovated. As a service driven industry we work hard to ensure that we are not only giving our guest the up most service that we can at all times, but that we are also following up with our guest to see if there is anything we can do to improve their stay. Thank you for taking the time to post a review for our hotel. I hope that one day you will return to our hotel and allow us the privilege to serve you again.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

Just spent 4 nights here with a group of over 50 people. The staff at this hotel was wonderful, especially the front desk staff, Melissa, Leonardo and Marlene. The rooms were always clean and the complimentary breakfast buffet was plentiful.The general manager Sam does a superb job and we will def go back.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Melissa R, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this review, October 12, 2011
Dear Joe31,

I would like to thank you for having stayed with us during your visit to Coconut Grove. We greatly appreciate it when guest enjoy there at our hotel. Our staff was very happy to have you and your group stay with us, and are excited to have you return to our property again next year. Please reach out to me when that time comes again. Once again thank you, we look forward to having you stay with us again.
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

I spent 2 nights at the Residence Inn Coconut Grove in Miami, FL. The staff went above and beyond in every way. Great breakfast and reception at night was more than enough food & variety. Staff members were always on hand to pitch in, talking with us and ensuring everything was okay with our stay. Rooms were big and clean & is a nice walk to area shopping and restaurants.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Melissa R, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove, responded to this review, October 11, 2011
Dear Jruss63,

Thank you for providing our hotel with your review. We are always proud to receive reviews from guest who have had Wonderful Stays. We look forward to being able to serve you again in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly to make reservations. Thank you again, and thank you for taking the time to review our property.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

I really don't like writing bad reviews and I wanted to like this place... We are big fans of the Residence Inn chain. We have done two international moves with four cats and now a baby as well and we like them because they tend to be spacious, clean, accept pets, and have awesome breakfasts. I agree with previous reviewers that this is not like other RI's. The bedrooms and bathrooms are much smaller than the other 3 RI's we have stayed in, but our biggest complaint was the noise. The hotel is spread out motel-style and our room was on the ground floor, just a few feet from one of the pools (there are two small pools) and we could hear everything. Every splash, laugh, shriek... The pool is supposed to close at 10 pm, but several nights people were partying by the pool, drinking bottles of beer (which isn't allowed) and talking/laughing very loudly. I had to call the front desk several times to complain. After a few nights of this, I spoke to one of the managers at breakfast and she was very polite, apologetic, and professional, and even sent a bag of goodies to our room, which was kind of her, and that night the front desk staff did go to kick out people after 10 pm. However, the soundproofing was bad everywhere. The walls were so thin I could hear the people in the room next to us talking, their tv, dog barking, etc. I feel bad for them as we had an 6 month old baby with us, who, despite our best efforts, did occasionally cry... Furthermore, since the hotel is motel-style and we were on the ground floor, we had to keep our curtains drawn at all times, as people would be passing by and also would be in the pool, making us feel like we were living in a cave. Breakfast was always extremely crowded and several times they ran out of food and there was nowhere to sit. Our last night was awful - someone pulled the fire alarm at 1 am and then it kept going off hourly as no one at the front desk called the fire department to reset it!! (my husband went to complain around 4 am and the person said, "We think it's a prank and the alarm just keeps going off because no one's called the FD to reset it" to which he responded that it might be a good idea for them to do that!!). Lastly, RI have free dinners some nights and one of the nights we planned on attending was listed on the sheet on the fridge as starting at 7:30 pm, but it was apparently a typo and started at 5:30 pm. Considering the activities sheet is for the month and this was at the end of the month, they should have either reprinted the sheet or had housekeeping change it. It was frustrating when we were planning on getting dinner that way (always difficult with a young baby).

The good parts: Coconut Grove is a fun area and the hotel is walking distance to many stores and restaurants; the breakfast is varied; the fitness room was much nicer than most hotels'; plentiful parking; free Wi-Fi; accept pets (extra charge).

We would not stay here again because of all of the problems.

Room Tip: Don't go on the ground floor, or, if you do, don't be near the pool!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Dear Nessie421,

Thank you for providing our hotel with your review. Although we are disappointed that you were not satisfied with your stay with us it does the hotel great assistance to receive reviews such as this. The hotel is a condo conversion, therefore our rooms are exterior. The positive to being a condo conversion is that our rooms are ample in size compared to other Residence Inn. The information you bring up is very crucial to us, since we will be going into renovations next year. I implore you to come back to our hotel again; we have addressed the said issues with the Happy Hour, and have even increased it to three times a week so that more guests can attend. If this is something you are interested in please feel free to contact me directly and I will assist you with your reservation. Thank you again, and thank you for taking the time to review our property.

Ashland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

Easy bus transportation here from the airport. Staff and accommodations were wonderful, not to mention the breakfasts. There is also a happy hour with free beer or wine with snacks. Movie night for the kids. It was only a 2 block walk to shopping and other restaurants as well.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Dear SequoiaBlue,

Thank you for providing our hotel with your review. Reviewing your information posted here I see that you stayed with us back in 2010. I would like to invite you back to our property; we have made many improvements to our breakfast, and to our happy hour. I believe that you will greatly enjoy these improvements. Please contact me directly to make reservations. I look forward to being able serve you again.

Front Office Manager

Been to Residence Inn Miami Coconut Grove? Share your experiences!