“AS GOOD AS IT GETS AT MARRIOTT” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #55 of 129 hotels in Miami
Fort Pierce, Florida
“AS GOOD AS IT GETS AT MARRIOTT”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2007

This is a typical high rise Marriott, reasonably new, very clean and well kept, in the Miami suburb near several large malls, including Dadeland Mall.

The hotel is quite a long way from both the airport and downtown Miami or the beach, so if you consider this as an airport overnight, be aware that it’s a double digit cab ride from MIA. If you are thinking "beach," look for a hotel on Miami Beach, or South Beach, but this one is no where near any beach.

The hotel adjoins the terminal stop of the Miami Metrorail, which is a reliable elevated rail that services communities along the SW Dade area, including Coral Gables, the University of Miami, and Coconut Grove. This is a cheap way to get around and adult fares at present (8/07) are $1.50.

A lot of new construction in the area is bringing in new restaurants and small businesses, so it’s a high growth area, but seems safe to walk at night to and from the hotel and the mall. A Publix supermarket is next door as well.

Check in was outstanding…..the fastest and most efficient I think I have ever seen. No waiting, no delay. They had my reservation and I was on the way to my room in less than five minutes after coming in the door. I booked through Marriott's telephone reservation service and still find this more efficient than going on line because the operators can tell me a lot more than the web site will.

The room I had was not on the concierge floor, but on 21, two floors below, with concierge access. This was fine and seemed less noisy than the 22 and 23 floors, which had direct access to the concierge lounge on 23.

As a personal observation, I would like to see Marriott restrict concierge access to people over 18, (after all, they are serving/selling alcohol), as this is one of many concierge lounges I have visited where the kids more or less take over the place as a TV and food area, making it very hard to do any business work or just relax. I find it interesting that Marriott places no restrictions on children, but prohibits pets.

Room layout was super, with a well appointed king. The large, wall mounted, flat screen TV was the first I have found in a hotel room. A direct internet connection terminal on the work desk had wireless keyboard and flat panel screen…when it worked. Direct, plug in internet access, if you have your own laptop, was a flat $10 a day, noon to noon. I did not use that option because the desktop worked for most of the three days I was there.
Dressing area with a cotton robe and plenty of toiletries and clean, heavy towels, plus a toilet/shower room were well kept and clean.

Another nice amenity was an espresso machine on the dresser that allows you to make one or more cups of pretty good coffee as you want it. There was a conventional coffee maker in the cabinet as well.

I did not use any food services, but the lobby lounge was large and seemed to be doing a good, lively business. Overnight parking is $17. Valet service was courteous and efficient.

This was off-season and the single room rate was slightly under $200, which makes it a bargain these days for this level of comfort, safety and facilities. On my personal Hotel Perfection Scale, I would rate this one at this time at 98% or slightly higher as I had no problems with anything during my stay.

• Liked — Well run Marriott
  • Disliked — No problems at all.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

248 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
St. Petersburg, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2007

I booked this directly on the Marriott site. Upon arrival, I was informed by the desk clerk that I had been "upgraded" to the concierge level. I thought "nice". Went up to room, where I found the concierge desk three feet from my door. The entrance to the room is right off the elevator in the area where the concierge sits and they serve food. Not even down a hallway. What followed was loud groups of people coming up to get their refreshments and talk. Very loud talk. And every time my wife and I exited the room, all heads swung toward our room as we opened the door. Very uncomfortable feeling, although the bed was very comfortable. Bathroom was microscopic, and room for only one person at a time. For 200+ per night, I don't think this property is worth it and I would not stay there again. The hotel looks very tired and is obviously an aging property. The bell staff was very nice though. You have to use them to park your car (17.00 per day extra) because there is no self parking other than a garage next door.

• Stayed August 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2007

Stayed here for business for 3 nights. Way overpriced ($200+/night during my stay); there is no self-parking - only valet in the parking garage was available which is $17-19/night. Hotel staff were nice and helpful. Hotel exterior & interior looks nice. My room was on the 14th floor; had a nice view facing downtown Miami. Internet access in room was not free; had to ask for a refridgerator, which was old and made a weird noise. Room was a little older (carpet & walls), but clean. Bathroom area was okay. Location was good and near a number of restaurants; also, the Dadeland mall is down the street. Alot of construction (new condos & high rises) in the area was going on during my stay. Did not visit any of the amenities. Would not stay here again because of the price paid.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Price & costs for everything (parking, internet in room, etc.), no free breakfast
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2007

My family booked three rooms at the Marriott Dadeland. We were part of a wedding party of over 40 out-of-town guests and the bride & groom had chosen this hotel due to proximity of the wedding. The check-in process was chaotic and we did not get into our rooms until 2 hours after normal check-in. I had booked the rooms 2 months in advance and the hotel knew about this wedding at least 8 months in advance. Furthermore, I had called 24 hours before to check on the rooms and request early check-in due to the hectic wedding rehearsal schedule that day. The excuse given for the late check-in was that we wanted our rooms on the same floor. I think that is was poor planning and prioritizing on their part. To add insult to injury, one of my family members was charged $250 for smoking in their. room. We were not told about this fee when I called to make reservations and requested smoking rooms; when we checked in; not posted on their website. However, there are tiny cards with fine print in the rooms to let you know! Ironically, two other members of our party smoked in their rooms and they were not charged the fee. So...smokers beware of the Marriott chain in Florida! By the way, I did look up the Florida Non-smooking Law and the penalty is $100. I guess Marriott needs the extra revenue to "recover" the room. In addition, you can hear other guests using the bathrooms from other rooms. Upon checking out, I was given the wrong keys to the car by the valet. From a world traveller and Miami native, I recommend that you stay away from this hotel! Try the Hampton Inn nearby.

• Liked — Room service was good.
  • Disliked — Disorganized, noisy rooms and surprise fees.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2006

I am currently staying at this Marriott and I booked my stay for six nights. I am very, very satisfied and even more surprised that this Marriott is very nice. Their staff is very professional and courteous. The service is amazingly great and the food at the restaurant is very good. They have an amazing Sunday Brunch that will entice all cultures.

• Liked — Amazing location
  • Disliked — Not enough food selection at the Concierge Lounge
  • Tips/Secrets — For great taxi service call Luis [---]
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2006

The rooms and lobby of this property are fine - not overly good or overly bad. I must warn you not to host an event here under any circumstances! I host 20 events per year at hotels around the US and Canada. this is the worst property i have ever had the misfortune to deal with.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
nbaker7952
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2006

This is a great hotel, good looking and well kept, unfortunately the area it is in although it seems safe is undergoing alot of construction at the moment and is clearly going to be something better in years to come.

There is a mall that you can see from the hotel but it is a 10 minute walk across a busy street unless you take the complimentary shuttle. Problem with the shuttle it does'nt come back and get you so you will probably have to walk at some point.

The mall has a bit of everything and a great food hall which was beneficial as a single traveller.

The hotel offers free internet access in the lobby which makes life alot easier for people like me that use the net frequently.

The rooms were very clean and of a good standard, the staff were freindly and helpful however, I lost my passport on the metro mover in downtown Miami and although the staff assisted me in getting a few numbers for embassies etc they failed on the basics of where to get photos done etc (even though there was one next door!).

The hotel is well connected, free shuttle from the airport and a train station attached to the hotel whcih can get you downtown in 20 minutes.

Felt quite safe here and would probably use the hotel again as first choice, a very welcome choice from staying Downtown.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business

Been to Miami Marriott Dadeland? Share your experiences!