“Convenient for airport & very nice staff” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #55 of 129 hotels in Miami
Camberley, United Kingdom
“Convenient for airport & very nice staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

We made two overnight stays at this hotel, on way to and from Belize, a trip for our 25th Wedding Anniversary. The staff were lovely very friendly. My daughter had arranged a lovely surprise for us when we got to our room, chilled champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, and cheese and biscuits and fruit, all done wonderfully by the hotel. We booked through Bookings.com, who are very good, we paid extra for the concierge lounge access, where you get access to complimentary drinks and food, but note this wasn't available at weekends. the beds are fantastic, great night sleep. The hotel offer a airport shuttle which is very good value. The breakfast was good, usual choices. The area around has a selection of restaurants and supermarkets and a shopping mall. We spent a lot of time trailing around trying to find a nearby restaurant that didn't have the ubiquitous TV on the wall,showing Constant Negative News (CNN) !
what happened to talking to each other over dinner! and then to find the same thing playing on TVs in the hotel mirrors in the washrooms! its beyond me ! maybe is a cultural difference thing?

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

245 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

We were there as part of a group, and the hotel was not very cooperative in helping our group plan the trip. The hotel did not allow the meeting planners to pre-key our rooms, so group check-in was a zoo. When we were there, the elevators were not working well. The banquet food was good. The location is good: a five-minute walk to Dadeland Mall.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
DadelandMarriottMIA, Miami Marriott Dadeland at Miami Marriott Dadeland, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Hi 305road_tripper!
Thank you for your comments. All our groups and their requirements are different and we try to help things move along as smoothly as possible for all involved. We are very sorry that it did not appear that way upon your arrival. On the other hand, we are glad that you enjoyed the food and our convenient location and hope these excellent qualities will bring you back. It is our wish that you do not judge us on this one unfortunate incident as we will prove that we can provide you with excellent service you are accustomed to from the Marriott brand.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Lisnaskea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

Due to the hellish immigration at Miami Airport we missed our connecting flight to Puerto Rico were we were picking up our Southern Caribbean Cruise, all the Hotels were booked up except this one. We found it to be very clean most of the staff were helpful - when you stay the night theres a shuttle bus to the airport- which for some reason the desk manager wanted us to pay extra for even though we were paying guests, the morning desk manager wouldn't here tell of us paying extra!!
Our room was clean and comfortable, plenty of towels- and a good shower! just what was needed after a 10 hour flight and 2 hours stuck in an immigration line with no air con!!
We had a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: We were on the 8th floor - very quiet!!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Guatemala City, Guatemala
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

Just returned from a trip to Miami. We spent the first two nights before our cruise in the JW Marriott in Brickell but changed to the Dadeland Marriott for two nights after the cruise to be closer to shopping and family. What a mistake. Hotel is in a good location for shopping at Dadeland, not too far from the airport and some other fun areas and there's a Publix across the road for conveniences. We were allowed an early check in although the room wouldn't be ready for an hour but the front desk staff was pleasant. We had a quick breakfast in the restaurant while we waited and the food was fine, nothing outstanding. Service a little slow.

The positives stop there. Upon arrival in our room I noticed that the bed was soft, and I don't mean comfortable cushiony soft but the mattress itself was so soft I could grab the edge of it with one hand and compress it to a few inches thickness! Both my fiance and I need a firm mattress for our backs so I went back to the front desk to request a room with a firmer bed. The girl at the desk was very apologetic and nice, called housekeeping who basically just gave her two other clean rooms to provide me for an option and she called over the bellman to take me up to show them to me. No one seemed to know if there was different mattresses in other rooms. Both other rooms had equally soft mattresses. I cannot believe that a chain hotel in this price range would not provide better quality mattresses. These were literally the least firm mattresses I have ever encountered, to the point where it was like there was zero support and you were only sleeping on a big pile of duvets and pillows. The best they could do for me was to bring up a 'back board' which did not yield any improvement, if they even put one there at all. Firm mattresses provide support next to your back not at the bottom the mattress where your back has already curved to an unnatural position. To make matters worse we had been waiting for about 10-15 minutes for our bags to be brought up when I went down to complain about the bed. To my surprise the girl at the front desk hadn't even passed our claim tickets to the bellman and I had to inquire with them myself. So it took us about 30 minutes to get our bags to the room with me breathing down their necks as my fiance had a meeting and needed a shirt from his luggage, which also had to be ironed. Very inconvenient. I noticed that it was a busy period at the front desk but still, it would have been nice to have our bags faster, especially as I had given the bellman a generous tip at the outset of storage.

Housekeeping service was not much better. I had to call them prior to leaving the room for the afternoon to remind them about the back board and to request extra towels. When we returned from our day, I noticed no extra towels but two robes-and they didn't take the tip that was left on the bed for the back board, and bed looked the same (i.e. not made properly) when we returned so I have doubts that they even put the back board there.

Room itself was a bit dingy but not bad, mostly clean but there was a cracked tile in the entry to the bathroom where the carpet meets tile and also a carpet tack that was poking up, which I discovered when I stepped on it with bare feet. Had to put a folded towel down to protect our feet from the sharp tile and tack. Towels were also lacking in the room even though I have a standing request for extra towels on my Marriott account. And, finally, the toilet clogged up not once but 3 times, even when nothing much was there to clog it. Finally it would suddenly unclog itself after a few minutes.

Room service: we ordered breakfast on our check out day. Took a long time (40 minutes) for a bagel and cream cheese, one hot dish, and a pot of coffee. Attendant who brought it up was very pleasant but had to leave to go get another coffee cup and cutlery for two as they had only brought one, despite being asked how many people the order was for during the order. Took him at least 15 minutes to return so we had to sit there waiting and not even sure if he would return.

Check out and departure was equally frustrating. We checked out at the front desk no problem and they had allowed us a bit of a late check out but we asked the bellman to call us a taxi and he said no problem. 10 minutes later he said it would be 5 minutes. Starting to get worried as we had a flight to catch I asked them to call again (original bellman was gone by then, now it was the valet people). The guy responded by telling me that the shuttle would be arriving in 10 minutes and we could take that and that he's already called 2 cabs but he'd call again. All while the girl in the booth says "they said it will be 25 minutes for a taxi". On a Sunday?! Would have been nice to know that at the beginning instead of sitting there worrying. At the end, the shuttle pulled up at the same time as the taxi and we opted for the taxi as he said it would take him 20 minutes to get us to the airport. The valet guy originally tried to tell me it would be 30 minutes, the same as the shuttle. Glad we took the taxi as we got to the airport just in the nick of time. I cannot understand why a hotel in a main area of town would not have taxi's waiting nearby especially as there is another Marriott (the Courtyard) across the road. I have suspicions that they are pushing for the shuttle to be used. All in all, it took us over 30 minutes to depart the hotel, which is not acceptable.

Overall I was very disappointed in this Marriott. I stayed here a few years ago and it was fine. I am a Marriott rewards member and usually have great experiences at most Mariotts across the brand, everything from Courtyard's to JW's so this stay was not up to my expectations at all and we will not choose this property again. I left with a sore back, cut feet, and a bad taste in my mouth. Given our lack of time and that it was a weekend I didn't bother to pass my comments to a manager but may do so now given the accumulation of incidents. Sorry Marriott, but you need to improve this property a lot.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
DadelandMarriottMIA, Miami Marriott Dadeland at Miami Marriott Dadeland, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Hi Mistylime,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us. Although most of your comments do not paint us in a good light during your stay, your comments are very important to us and we will be reviewing all of your observations in detail. Each department involved will be asked to review their procedures and make corrections where necessary and in a timely manner. We hope that you do not continue to judge us on this unfortunate visit and give us the opportunity to welcome you back in the future. What you experienced on this stay is not our standard and we will prove to you that we can provide all of our guests with the exceptional service and product that you have come to know and expect from the Marriott brand.

We remain hopeful that you will give us another opportunity and visit us in the future.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

We stayed at the Dadeland as my wife had a conference there. The room was ready even though we were early and the lady on the desk was very polite and helpful.
Our room was very clean and although slightly dated it was comfortable. The bathroom could do with an upgrade but it was fine for us.
The breakfast was very good and there were plenty of things to choose from. the waiter that served me was very poilte and nothing was too much trouble. There is also an omelete station too. We did order room service twice which was really good. The bar was a little dissapointing. The lady in there was a little rude and i asked if i could get a drink to take to my room and i got a 12oz beer for the price of the 20oz? in a plastic cup. Not very good!
The front desk were very helpful in explaing using the metro to get into the city. The staion is directly behind the hotel and for $5.25 you can get a day travel pass. There is a supermarket across the road and the big shopping mall is down the road too.
The gyma nd the pool are are great too. The pool/patio area is greate for the late afternoon sun.
Nice stay at this hotel we would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Really... It was painful

But the hotel other than that is nice. Friendly front desk staff and valet. Close to shopping including a grocery store. Rooms are old but well maintained. Lounge was basic but did the trick!

• Stayed April 2014
Cairns, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

The service was outstanding, even though there were crowds checking in, (its used by the cruise lines for crew) the staff were still friendly and very helpful. The rooms could probably use a face lift, looking a bit old and faded, but clean. Simple but plentiful buffet breakfast

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
DadelandMarriottMIA, Miami Marriott Dadeland at Miami Marriott Dadeland, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Hi Handbagtraveller,

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments regarding your recent stay at the Miami Marriott Dadeland. It is a great feeling to know that we are reaching our goals of providing our guests with excellent service. We also want you to know that we are looking at a future renovation project. Once again, we are glad that you had a great stay and that you enjoyed your time with us.

See you soon!

Been to Miami Marriott Dadeland? Share your experiences!