“Great Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #47 of 113 Hotels in Miami
Bridgetown, Barbados
“Great Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2008

My Husband and I spent 4 nights at this hotel. It was wonderful stay, our room was on the 24th floor. It had a great view and a very comfortable bed.

This hotel is very close to the Dadeland Mall and also Miami Metrorail.

We had access to the concierge lounge, which serves continental breakfast daily as well as hors d'oeuvres in the afternoon.

All in all we had a great stay. Will defintely stay there again

• Liked — Comfortable bed
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2008

I traveled to a client site that was about 3 or 4 blocks from this hotel. The hotel was very nice. There was a small glitch in their computer system when I arrived so they gave me a free comp drink from the bar while I waited.

The rooms were normal Marriott rooms, nothing really special. There is a Publix Grocery store directly across the street from the hotel which was easy to grab a few snacks and drinks for the evenings.

One major issue I had with the hotel was the length of time it took to get my car out of Valet. I called down each morning or evening to get my car about 5 or 10 minutes before I came down and I still ended up waiting a good 15 minutes. This turned out to be a major pain every day.

• Stayed April 2008
Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2008

I stayed at the Dadeland Marriott for 3 nights. I had 3 very busy days, including driving (this hotel was centrally located for me). The front desk staff were EXCELLENT - helpful to the point of giving me their phone number to call if I thought I might need driving directions after being on the road! They were also helpful to me by making photocopies, printing out maps, and giving me area information. The room was clean and I really appreciated the "non-smoking" rule - it was nice to leave my room and still not smell smoke, anywhere in the hotel. I ate room service after getting back in quite late each night and it was delivered in a timely manner. The first night was quite good, the second OK and the third not so great! They must change chefs nightly! The third night I ordered halibut and instead received swordfish prepared as the halibut should have been. Not only was the fish completely different (like ordering prime rib but receiving pork chops), the preparation was suited to halibut, not swordfish! Even so, I was so glad I stayed here as the location, proximity to highways, cleanliness, and helpfulness of the staff were all so important, top-notch, and appreciated!

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — food
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Perthshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2007

We spent one night at this hotel at the end of September. When we arrived the check-in clerk asked "2 double doubles?" to which we replied yes (there was my husband myself and two children aged 9 and 7 ) He then said "oh we don't have any you'll have to have a rollaway bed put in your room". When the bed arrived it was of a single size even though we had been assured it was a double size and would fit two. When we asked repeatedly for another room or another bed we were told "we are full tonight ". It took several phone calls down to reception and then a visit to them to finally get another rollaway bed put in the room. The Assistant Manager okayed this even though it was "against regulations to do so !!!!" We had been travelling for 21 hours at this point and just wanted to get the children and ourselves to bed but we couldn' t believe the attitude of the Assistant Manager and reported this to Royal Caribbean as soon as we embarked the ship - to date( 5 weeks later) we still have not had a reply to our complaint. the hotel blamed Royal Caribbean for only telling them they needed a room the day before but Royal Caribbean claim this is rubbish. My advice? make sure you get the InterContinental Bayside as it is much nicer and right next to where "Liberty of the Seas" is docked !! Incidentally this happened to another Scottish couple travelling with their 21 year old daughter. Even she ended up in a rollaway bed !!

• Liked — The beds were comfy
  • Disliked — The fact that had there been a fire we would've struggled to get out quickly
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2007

I would agree with most review points from a previous reviewer (jjstives). This is an excellent hotel with excellent facilities and service. The comparison with a Marriott in York, England I stayed in 2 weeks previously is very noticeable in service and hotel standards, with this being a far superior experience.

Location is also good for the Dadeland Mall a few blocks away, a restaurant at the end of the road on the way to the mall (Chilis) and the end stop of the Metrorail just next to the hotel. Getting to South Beach on Metrorail you go to Government Centre, then take the frequent S bus to South Beach. It did seem only just safe on a Sunday morning - so I would think of taking a taxi on an evening, if by yourself or if any doubts.

From MIA Airport, the price is about $40 including tip for a taxi.

I stayed here with business & I was told by locals that everywhere is reasonably safe within 20 minutes around. The closest-by area to avoid seemed to be Grand Avenue in Coconut Grove. But decide for yourselves on this.

Overall, a good stop, but mainly if you want to be out of town or are doing business here. Ask for a room facing the City if you can as the views were incredible.

• Liked — Views of Ciity, Service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Fort Pierce, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2007

This is a typical high rise Marriott, reasonably new, very clean and well kept, in the Miami suburb near several large malls, including Dadeland Mall.

The hotel is quite a long way from both the airport and downtown Miami or the beach, so if you consider this as an airport overnight, be aware that it’s a double digit cab ride from MIA. If you are thinking "beach," look for a hotel on Miami Beach, or South Beach, but this one is no where near any beach.

The hotel adjoins the terminal stop of the Miami Metrorail, which is a reliable elevated rail that services communities along the SW Dade area, including Coral Gables, the University of Miami, and Coconut Grove. This is a cheap way to get around and adult fares at present (8/07) are $1.50.

A lot of new construction in the area is bringing in new restaurants and small businesses, so it’s a high growth area, but seems safe to walk at night to and from the hotel and the mall. A Publix supermarket is next door as well.

Check in was outstanding…..the fastest and most efficient I think I have ever seen. No waiting, no delay. They had my reservation and I was on the way to my room in less than five minutes after coming in the door. I booked through Marriott's telephone reservation service and still find this more efficient than going on line because the operators can tell me a lot more than the web site will.

The room I had was not on the concierge floor, but on 21, two floors below, with concierge access. This was fine and seemed less noisy than the 22 and 23 floors, which had direct access to the concierge lounge on 23.

As a personal observation, I would like to see Marriott restrict concierge access to people over 18, (after all, they are serving/selling alcohol), as this is one of many concierge lounges I have visited where the kids more or less take over the place as a TV and food area, making it very hard to do any business work or just relax. I find it interesting that Marriott places no restrictions on children, but prohibits pets.

Room layout was super, with a well appointed king. The large, wall mounted, flat screen TV was the first I have found in a hotel room. A direct internet connection terminal on the work desk had wireless keyboard and flat panel screen…when it worked. Direct, plug in internet access, if you have your own laptop, was a flat $10 a day, noon to noon. I did not use that option because the desktop worked for most of the three days I was there.
Dressing area with a cotton robe and plenty of toiletries and clean, heavy towels, plus a toilet/shower room were well kept and clean.

Another nice amenity was an espresso machine on the dresser that allows you to make one or more cups of pretty good coffee as you want it. There was a conventional coffee maker in the cabinet as well.

I did not use any food services, but the lobby lounge was large and seemed to be doing a good, lively business. Overnight parking is $17. Valet service was courteous and efficient.

This was off-season and the single room rate was slightly under $200, which makes it a bargain these days for this level of comfort, safety and facilities. On my personal Hotel Perfection Scale, I would rate this one at this time at 98% or slightly higher as I had no problems with anything during my stay.

• Liked — Well run Marriott
  • Disliked — No problems at all.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
St. Petersburg, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2007

I booked this directly on the Marriott site. Upon arrival, I was informed by the desk clerk that I had been "upgraded" to the concierge level. I thought "nice". Went up to room, where I found the concierge desk three feet from my door. The entrance to the room is right off the elevator in the area where the concierge sits and they serve food. Not even down a hallway. What followed was loud groups of people coming up to get their refreshments and talk. Very loud talk. And every time my wife and I exited the room, all heads swung toward our room as we opened the door. Very uncomfortable feeling, although the bed was very comfortable. Bathroom was microscopic, and room for only one person at a time. For 200+ per night, I don't think this property is worth it and I would not stay there again. The hotel looks very tired and is obviously an aging property. The bell staff was very nice though. You have to use them to park your car (17.00 per day extra) because there is no self parking other than a garage next door.

• Stayed August 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Miami Marriott Dadeland? Share your experiences!