“Many small glitches: unimpressed” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #56 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Pebble Beach, California
“Many small glitches: unimpressed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I probably should have known that this wasn't going to be the best hotel stay when 10 minutes into my visit, the hotel turned off the water for a "small problem." To their credit, the water was restored pretty quickly and the hotel credited me with some loyalty points, but my goodwill towards that issue was quickly erased when I returned to my room to find a maintenance guy painting the room next to mine with a very smelly paint - fumes in the hallway and my room. He agreed to open up some other ventilation routes and the smell dissipated slowly. Then I couldn't turn off a light in the bathroom, which the (next door) maintenance guy said was due to a faulty timer light switch, so he forced it off and I never used it again. And in the morning, using my own hairdryer (because I couldn't find one in the room), I learned that the outlet next to the sink was extremely loose so the dryer would not stay plugged in. Safety issue!

The room itself is unremarkable, with worn carpeting. The single-pane windows let in a lot of street noise - even on the 19th floor! - and the wind whistled through them. On the plus side, I have a lovely view and the bed is very comfortable.

I'm here on a business trip and the meeting facilities are good. The AV support has been excellent, and the buffet dinner was surprisingly tasty.

This is not a hotel I would choose for a return visit if I were making my own travel arrangements. Too many small glitches in an otherwise unremarkable facility have marred my view.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
St Johns, NL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

We were attending the Taylor Swift concert in Miami, FL. My wife knew of the American Girl store in Miami, and the Marriot Dadeland at 9090 S Dadeland Blvd had an "American Girl" experience.

For a few extra dollars per night, both our girls got a mini-bed for their American Girl dolls to sleep on! (I thought it was a bit over-priced, but on check-in, Sylvania, who was very helpful, advised us the mini-beds were ours to keep and take home after our stay!!) The doll beds were set up and prepped for the dolls when we went in the room, and the girls immediately started playing with the beds and getting their dolls ready to get tucked into their new beds! Very well done!

As well, the next morning, we were leaving on a noon flight. We had a large quantity of luggage, and the bellman helped immensely with the task of getting it all downstairs and stacking it all into the mini-van! He and the Valet Parking staff were very helpful, and I credit them with helping us get off to the airport on time!! Well done and many thanks!!

Breakfast for two was included with our room rate, however in the rush to get packed and off to the airport, we were unable to take advantage of this benefit. Thus, I am unable to comment on the quality of the breakfast/food.

Overall, very pleasant stay. Front desk staff were very helpful with check-in, Sylvania in particular stood out. Very clean, and guest rooms were very clean and bright. The girls will remember the "Hotel where our dolls had beds", and now we have the beds to use for playing in their play-room as well!

• Stayed April 2013
Birmingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Very clean and Comfortable & Quiet Hotel located 3 blocks from Dadeland Mall. Rocco's Pizza Lounge next door is new wood fired Pizza Place that is as good as it gets. Great High Def TV and WIFI that was "fast enough" and free, Meeting spaces were excellent. Meeting food (Breakfast & Lunch) were slightly less than acceptable, especially for Miami. The hotel lobby is located on a Metro Rail stop which will be a bonus for some. I never heard the train just saw it arrive every few minutes, Pool is on 3rd floor and great for sun bathers. This part of Miami Dadeland is 30 minutes South and way West of the beaches so better be coming here for a specific reason. Getting anywhere (including airport) from this hotel requires getting on a very crowded interstate. The hotel appears modern but is an older part of town. Why meet in Miami and never see the the Ocean or Beaches? There are a lot better airports to congregate to.

Room Tip: All rooms have great View. Why not go for a concierge level .
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Well located property and good services. Metro Rail right outside the door to take you downtown or even the airport if you are adventuresome. However, their restaurant, Whitneys leave much to be desired. Food at dinner is poor; therefore, I would stay away from all meals there. A great deli is located within walking distance, lots of stores and restaurants to choose from and Dadeland Mall is across the street.

Room Tip: All rooms are good on this property.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I stayed at this Hotel for a night as I was travelling from New York and had to join work in Miami Port. The Hotel is very plush and elegant as you approach it and is spread over a huge complex of buildings in Dadeland Boulevard. The Marriot Courtyard is just opposite the Hotel. The staff is very friendly and accomodative. The front desk team went out of the way to help me out. i was travelling from India and my Apple chargere did not work because of the socket in US. The Front Desk Representative went out of the way and offered me her own Apple chargere and told me I could keep it to charge my Ipad and give it back to her when I check Out! Wow!

The Dinner was disappointing as they did not have any options except for rice and some meats and stew and desserts in the buffet. The breakfast however was very good and it really made my day as I was in for a long day at work.
The rooms are nice but generally look old and definitely are in need of a little bit of fresh paint and general upkeep. All the staff that I met were excellent and accomodating in every aspect and I did have a great sleep. The beds are comfortable and there is no disturbance.

There is a Publix Store just right across and it was very helpful for some forgotten and last minute shopping.
The views from my floor were great and I could work in peace the night before. Had a nice time and will definitely check in again.
Thank you to the team for making the stay especially memorable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
ALL OVER THE WORLD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

The mall is located just off of US1, right by the Dadeland Shopping mall. The mall is a five minute stroll away.

This hotel is a standard Marriott.... unfortunately a standard Marriott from 1998. This was my first stay at this location, booked through my company. I have stayed many times at the Marriott Biscayne Bay and this hotel is just how the Marriott Biscayne Bay was BEFORE refurbishment.

The staff were very polite and helpful, but the hotel just has no soul. The bar and restaurant were just empty spaces. The restaurant on site seemed to only be frequented by people on business who had a meal plan booked through their companies. It is not somewhere that I would book and pay to eat.

The decor was outdated. Very 1990's Marriott. Not in any way contemporary. The carpets were frayed and there was obvious signs that there had been "make do" repairs to my room.

The room was clean enough, the public areas needed vacumming.

Internet was included in my room rate and the service was pretty fast.

I just don't know WHY anyone would stay here. The location is not near any tourist spots and it is too far from the airport to be useful for an airport stopover. Everyone I saw in the hotel seemed to be a part of a group that was having a conference on site, or Cruise Ship and Airline Crew Members overnighting.

The hotel needs to be bought up to date ASAP.

I would never choose to stay here. The hotel is just "Meh", the location is not appealing.... if you are tending to business nearby, maybe it would be OK, but there is also a Marriott Courtyard right across the street which looks a little more contemporary,

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Miami Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I reserved a concierge level room, which was considerably more expensive, thinking that the concierge lounge would provide us with the amenities usually found in such places. We were very disappointed. Although the lack of ANY services the first day and evening (Saturday) was somewhat compensated for by a voucher for breakfast, the Sunday evening spread was pitiful. The food was sparse and cheap, and not even a glass of wine offered. When I asked to speak with the manager, I was given a front desk assistant Manager who exhibited attitude. Although she comped us hors d'oeuvres and a glass of wine through room service, her attitude made the experience a negative one.

The room was small, dated and the flat screen TV didn't swivel, and could only be comfortably watched from the bed. The tub is very small (Hampton Inn-sized) and the towels are adequate- not plush. The pillows and bedding were great, as was the bed (very comfortable). The climate control was good, as well.

The Sunday brunch in the restaurant was not good (it used to be one of the best in Miami) and they gave me real coffee when I had asked for decaf, which made me very physically uncomfortable.

Our main beef with the hotel is the cheap approach to the concierge level of service and the attitude of management.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Miami Marriott Dadeland? Share your experiences!