“Good location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #55 of 129 hotels in Miami
suburbs of Philadelphia
“Good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

For us it was in the middle of where we needed to be. 20 minutes here, 20 minutes there. The hotel was clean, nice staff, attentive too. My TV wasn't working and they came right away to fix it, (battery issue in the remote). The hotel was quite full and I ended up on the concierge level. So I got hot tea each morning which was nice. No food, but I guess that was because it was the weekend?? Also got chocolates on the bed at night. My parents were on the lower level and didn't get chocolates. My ONLY complaint...the breakfast buffet. Not only was it average. That's not even really a complaint. The woman at the egg station didn't speak english. I'm sorry, Miami is in America and the Marriott is an American hotel, correct? I will NOT speak my broken Spanish in America. In Mexico of course I will, I'm in your country. In MY country I expect that the person at the egg station speak english! The man in line tried to "help" by telling her what I wanted, but that just made me angry. Really, the Marriott put the non-english speaking help behind the counter where they have to take orders in english?? I got my omelet, but I couldn't stop talking about it all day. Sorry, this is the one area where I am just not liberal.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

245 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Norfolk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

My stay at this hotel was on business so I spent a lot of time in meetings and around the hotel. The cafe (on the second floor I think) is a good alternative if you want to save $. They have empanadas and breakfast sandwiches. If you get a sandwich order the long white bread instead of the croissant as you more for your money. To have a bit of local flavor try the small Cuban coffee. It's really good!
Wifi access was very reliable but you may have to re-enter the code when changing locations.
Furnishings in the hotel room were generally in good condition but the lamp in my room had visible signs of wear.
The access to a grocery store behind the motel and the train made this a great place to stay. The airport shuttle works well also when returning to the airport but people said catching it upon arrival was tricky. I took the train for $2 and had a great view of the city with no sense of danger.
I also was informed that I had already been checked out when I approached the desk to leave. They were woefully understaffed at checkout time but it all worked out.
If you plan on going to a Heat game get tickets in advance. They wanted $40 for standing room only! I passed.

• Stayed January 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 1 night post cruise for shopping. There's Dadeland mall 5 minutes walk or take the hotels free shuttle. The mall has Macy's, Nordstrom, Saks and JCPenney as well as smaller shops like Pandora, A&F, Victoria's Secret, Hollister, Foot locker etc and a big food court. The hotel is also right next to Publix supermarket and liquor store, plus a few restaurants including chilli's......

We loved the peace and quiet of the area after the bustle of downtown and the cruise. There's a free shuttle to Miami International airport. The staff were, on the main, very helpful and friendly. Especially Angie who I later found out to be a trainee, well done Angie.

The room was HUGE, bright, clean and very comfortable with Marriott signature bed linen.....

The pool terrace is very pretty, well maintained and peaceful....

We would definitely stay here again.

Note to Marriott Dadeland Manager. If you could offer a cruise port transfer for less than the $40 cab fare you would be a superb proposition for anyone looking for an oasis of calm pre or post cruise.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sao Paulo, SP
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights at jan/13. The front desk staff is very helpful, specially Yulianna, who gave very useful information. The room is quite small for 2 adults with 2 children, but is confortable enough. Bathroom a bit old and shower ran so little water. The location can be problem if you dont have a car, because is really far away from everything. If you are going downtown, there is a train station right in the back of the hotel. This train starts at 5 am, And will wake you up if you are a light sleeper.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor to avoid the noise from the train.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I stayed on concierge floor for 6 days, every one was great these young professionals have class and a lot of training . They could not do enough for me. The food is great and rooms are wonderful. Front desk very professional.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Friendly and helpful staff, good location, accommodating facilities for meetings, clean and with its own train station it is a no brainer. Do not hesitate to stay here if you want to hold a meeting or just plain business or combined with pleasure. It is also just three blocks from the mall
It truly lives up to the Marriott name

Room Tip: Try the upper floor rooms because of the view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed here as a combination business and pleasure trip. The "pleasure" part was New Years Eve. Unfortunately, the business part kept us from leaving the hotel until about 10pm and it was nearly impossible to get a cab. The valet attendants didn't help us much, making one call and telling us the line was busy. We knew, we had been trying too. After waiting about 45 minutes, the other valet tells us he got in touch with a friend who was a cabbie, but after another 5 minutes of waiting, we gave up.
Long story short: this hotel is nowhere near the touristy and fun parts of Miami. A cab ride to the Miracle Mile was almost $20 one way, when we went up there on jan 1. There is a metro rail directly behind the hotel, but I got the sense from locals that it was unreliable.
The hotel itself was very nice. It had a pool on the deck of the 3rd floor and probably the nicest gym equipment I have ever seen. The cardio was separate from the weights, machines, mats and balls. They even had TRX set up in there and a great variety of other tools (bosu, kettle bells, jump ropes, bands, etc.)
Our room was nicely furnished, had great linens, flat screen on the wall, minibar, etc. the sink was outside the bathroom, which I don't have an issue with, though the counter was small. Closet was fine. Never heard or saw anyone else on our floor or their doors slamming like you might in other hotels.
I loved the promptness of the elevators. Also, the concierge level had fantastic food and drink at all times and awesome sofas. Very impressed by that!
Despite its proximity to Miami, it is a short walk to a popular mall that features a Cheesecake Factory and a condo community with a variety of places to eat (chilis, elevation burger, lime burrito bar) and a great bar called World of Beer. It is even closer to Publix, a grocery and liquor store.
PS--The Cuban restaurants that others mentioned (El Sitio and Havana Cafe) are both closed now.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Miami Marriott Dadeland? Share your experiences!