“Great Location” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #55 of 129 hotels in Miami
Saint Augustine, Florida
“Great Location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

This Marriott is located in Downtown Dadeland, a short walk to all types of shopping and restaurants. It is a fairly typical Marriott - comfortable rooms, good amentities. The restaurant is pricey, but there are good restaurants close by. The one negative: no self-parking. Years ago there was a self-parking garage, but that has been replaced with offices. Consequently you are forced to use valet parking to the tune of $19 per day. When you add this to the room price, local taxes, etc. it makes for a rather expensive stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

245 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel one night in December 2012, and I was really disappointed. It's not what I expect from a Marriott.

I arrive relatively late, around 11:45p. A valet was there to help me, but he was not very hospitable; I wasn't welcomed to the hotel and he did his job in a very run-of-the-mill fashion. The check-in agent was worse: he was slow AND rude. I was not really welcomed to the hotel -- it was more "ID, last name" -- nor was a I recognized as an elite member and thanked for my business. Furthermore, despite having a king bed room preference, the hotel was "out" of king beds, and I was put in a room with two doubles. Service in the morning, at check-out, was no better: I checked-out right around 7a -- check-out prime time -- and only one person was working the desk. Thus, there was a line for assistance; she also wasn't very polite.

The hotel needs a renovation in a BIG way. Stepping into this hotel is like stepping into 1995; its decor is sorely out-of-date in the public areas, the guest hallways, and the room itself. Yuck. Carpet was dirty, walls were streaked, and everything felt old. My guest room was cramped, partially because it was relatively small but also because it was over-furnished with large items. For some reason, my desk had a computer on it, and the monitor kept blinking back on and off (I finally just had to unplug it). The bed was comfortable, as Marriott beds typically are, but I thought the linens had an odd odor.

I had limited experience with the public parts of the hotel (fitness center, etc.) given my late arrival, but I did have to use the business center. It was underwhelming -- and, weirdly, to access it you had to take the elevators to the second floor and then stairs to the third floor in an adjacent conference center area. The computers limit you to printing 8 pages at a time -- an irritant since I had a 9-page document. Seriously, what's the purpose of an 8-page limit when you can just turn around and print the next 8 pages on a different print order? Stupid.

The worst part of the experience was the morning valet. My car was pulled around. The valet took my claim check and then left. I was not offered assistance with my bags nor was I thanked for my business.

Thumbs down. Not what I expect from the Marriott brand, for either facilities or service. I'll look elsewhere during future visits to Miami.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

For a Marriott hotel it was old, tired and poorly maintained. The carpet in the room was never vacuumed and was stained. The gym only had two elliptical's, one was "out of order" the entire week. The hotel operator was rude when called for a shuttle pickup from the airport. Forget eating in the hotel, instead find the Publix grocery store down the block.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

This trip was mainly for a training event. The 18th floor room was large, clean and well maintained with free wifi. The bed was very comfortable and the room had a great 42 inch tv. The coffee machines are poor and leak, minor point. Drinks in the bar are expensive but most hotels are. The bar service was good, even if they can't manage 2 wine glasses of the same size.

The reception staff are friendly and efficient, but I strongly recommend not asking the concierge anything complex. First I tried asking for the location of the nearest Walmart Super Centre, he put us in a taxi to one 14 miles away when I later found out that there was one about 5 miles away. Next I asked for directions to a local movie theatre. He knew where I meant and said hat it was 15 minutes to walk, no need for a taxi. After 20+ minutes walk, no sign, so I got a taxi and it was another 10 minutes by car, certainly not walking distance!

The gym is well equipped and the pool is great, overall, a good hotel

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

3.5 stars. I just stayed here for about a week. I like the location - down the street is the Dadeland Mall, and around the corner is a Publix grocery store. Behind the hotel is the train and also a great little French bakery called Atelier Monnier (definitely check it out). There's also quite a few restaurants (Havana Spice Cafe, El Sitio, etc) within walking distance.

There's only valet parking available (no street parking either). Drinks at the bar are pretty pricey. Quite a few options available for their buffet breakfast - probably should stay away from the hotel restaurant for dinner though.

Friendly staff. Comfortable beds and rooms - only thing I didn't like about the rooms is that the sink is outside of the bathroom which I always think is strange. Free 24 hour business center. Outdoor pool. Free in-room wi-fi.

Another thing is: I'm not sure if the hotel screwed up or if the person who booked my travel arrangements screwed up but I requested a king sized bed, and ended up with 2 double beds for just me...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Melbourne, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We decided to get away for the weekend and do some shopping and sightseeing. We located this hotel near many of the attractions. This is a very nice place to stay. We were able to get to shopping, dining, night life and some south beach visit. We very much like the hotel and rooms. The staff at the front desk were excellent. They helped us find all of the attractions that we were looking for. We were on the concierge level which was closed for the weekend, bummer I was expecting some amenities. But over all was a great visit, the room we had faced east so you can see the water and downtown Miami.

Room Tip: Try to get into the higher level rooms. Also get one facing east to see the water and Miami.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Wilmington, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Overall this is generally a nice property. The rooms on the upper floors have been nicely renovated - but I hear lower floors take you back to the 1970s.

There is wood paneling by the elevators on the concierge floors, and the world's smallest spiral staircase runs from floors 22-24 so that guests on those floors can walk to the concierge lounge.

The concierge lounge has no doors (unlike the numerous other Marriotts at which I have stayed) - so really anyone could come up there and get beverages and snacks. The evening lounge food is slightly below other Marriotts - but the breakfast is okay.

All rooms have an in-room safe and mini-bar, and most have a view of Publix grocery store (located about 2 blocks away). The concierge-level rooms also have an espresso machine (a nice touch) a digital bathroom scale (could be positive or negative!), and a personal computer in the room.

The pool and exercise facilities are top-notch. The lobby bar is just right - and you can sit either indoors or outdoors to enjoy your refreshments.

The location is good - near several freeways and U.S. 1, and there are a number of restaurants within a few blocks. You can also walk to the Dadeland mall.

Drawbacks: the only parking provided is valet - at $19 per day. You have to call down 15 minutes in advance every time you want your car (and also tip the attendants). The main restaurant is on the 2nd floor and seemed lacking. The decor was fine - but it had a somewhat limited menu, and is intended to cater to those who can't leave the hotel. I felt trapped there.

The room service menu was adequate but nothing special. One night I was told I would have to wait 10 minutes JUST to PLACE an order (in addition to preparation and delivery time). This is unacceptable without an exceptional reason. (No explanation was provided, and no apology was given either. So I hung up and searched for food elsewhere.)

Some staff members were friendly and eager to serve, but others could care less that you were a customer and this is a service industry.

Room Tip: Ask for the highest floor you can get with your rate. Lower floors have not been renovated and are d...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Miami Marriott Dadeland? Share your experiences!