“shambles !!!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #55 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Perthshire
“shambles !!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2007

We spent one night at this hotel at the end of September. When we arrived the check-in clerk asked "2 double doubles?" to which we replied yes (there was my husband myself and two children aged 9 and 7 ) He then said "oh we don't have any you'll have to have a rollaway bed put in your room". When the bed arrived it was of a single size even though we had been assured it was a double size and would fit two. When we asked repeatedly for another room or another bed we were told "we are full tonight ". It took several phone calls down to reception and then a visit to them to finally get another rollaway bed put in the room. The Assistant Manager okayed this even though it was "against regulations to do so !!!!" We had been travelling for 21 hours at this point and just wanted to get the children and ourselves to bed but we couldn' t believe the attitude of the Assistant Manager and reported this to Royal Caribbean as soon as we embarked the ship - to date( 5 weeks later) we still have not had a reply to our complaint. the hotel blamed Royal Caribbean for only telling them they needed a room the day before but Royal Caribbean claim this is rubbish. My advice? make sure you get the InterContinental Bayside as it is much nicer and right next to where "Liberty of the Seas" is docked !! Incidentally this happened to another Scottish couple travelling with their 21 year old daughter. Even she ended up in a rollaway bed !!

• Liked — The beds were comfy
  • Disliked — The fact that had there been a fire we would've struggled to get out quickly
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2007

I would agree with most review points from a previous reviewer (jjstives). This is an excellent hotel with excellent facilities and service. The comparison with a Marriott in York, England I stayed in 2 weeks previously is very noticeable in service and hotel standards, with this being a far superior experience.

Location is also good for the Dadeland Mall a few blocks away, a restaurant at the end of the road on the way to the mall (Chilis) and the end stop of the Metrorail just next to the hotel. Getting to South Beach on Metrorail you go to Government Centre, then take the frequent S bus to South Beach. It did seem only just safe on a Sunday morning - so I would think of taking a taxi on an evening, if by yourself or if any doubts.

From MIA Airport, the price is about $40 including tip for a taxi.

I stayed here with business & I was told by locals that everywhere is reasonably safe within 20 minutes around. The closest-by area to avoid seemed to be Grand Avenue in Coconut Grove. But decide for yourselves on this.

Overall, a good stop, but mainly if you want to be out of town or are doing business here. Ask for a room facing the City if you can as the views were incredible.

• Liked — Views of Ciity, Service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Fort Pierce, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2007

This is a typical high rise Marriott, reasonably new, very clean and well kept, in the Miami suburb near several large malls, including Dadeland Mall.

The hotel is quite a long way from both the airport and downtown Miami or the beach, so if you consider this as an airport overnight, be aware that it’s a double digit cab ride from MIA. If you are thinking "beach," look for a hotel on Miami Beach, or South Beach, but this one is no where near any beach.

The hotel adjoins the terminal stop of the Miami Metrorail, which is a reliable elevated rail that services communities along the SW Dade area, including Coral Gables, the University of Miami, and Coconut Grove. This is a cheap way to get around and adult fares at present (8/07) are $1.50.

A lot of new construction in the area is bringing in new restaurants and small businesses, so it’s a high growth area, but seems safe to walk at night to and from the hotel and the mall. A Publix supermarket is next door as well.

Check in was outstanding…..the fastest and most efficient I think I have ever seen. No waiting, no delay. They had my reservation and I was on the way to my room in less than five minutes after coming in the door. I booked through Marriott's telephone reservation service and still find this more efficient than going on line because the operators can tell me a lot more than the web site will.

The room I had was not on the concierge floor, but on 21, two floors below, with concierge access. This was fine and seemed less noisy than the 22 and 23 floors, which had direct access to the concierge lounge on 23.

As a personal observation, I would like to see Marriott restrict concierge access to people over 18, (after all, they are serving/selling alcohol), as this is one of many concierge lounges I have visited where the kids more or less take over the place as a TV and food area, making it very hard to do any business work or just relax. I find it interesting that Marriott places no restrictions on children, but prohibits pets.

Room layout was super, with a well appointed king. The large, wall mounted, flat screen TV was the first I have found in a hotel room. A direct internet connection terminal on the work desk had wireless keyboard and flat panel screen…when it worked. Direct, plug in internet access, if you have your own laptop, was a flat $10 a day, noon to noon. I did not use that option because the desktop worked for most of the three days I was there.
Dressing area with a cotton robe and plenty of toiletries and clean, heavy towels, plus a toilet/shower room were well kept and clean.

Another nice amenity was an espresso machine on the dresser that allows you to make one or more cups of pretty good coffee as you want it. There was a conventional coffee maker in the cabinet as well.

I did not use any food services, but the lobby lounge was large and seemed to be doing a good, lively business. Overnight parking is $17. Valet service was courteous and efficient.

This was off-season and the single room rate was slightly under $200, which makes it a bargain these days for this level of comfort, safety and facilities. On my personal Hotel Perfection Scale, I would rate this one at this time at 98% or slightly higher as I had no problems with anything during my stay.

• Liked — Well run Marriott
  • Disliked — No problems at all.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
St. Petersburg, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2007

I booked this directly on the Marriott site. Upon arrival, I was informed by the desk clerk that I had been "upgraded" to the concierge level. I thought "nice". Went up to room, where I found the concierge desk three feet from my door. The entrance to the room is right off the elevator in the area where the concierge sits and they serve food. Not even down a hallway. What followed was loud groups of people coming up to get their refreshments and talk. Very loud talk. And every time my wife and I exited the room, all heads swung toward our room as we opened the door. Very uncomfortable feeling, although the bed was very comfortable. Bathroom was microscopic, and room for only one person at a time. For 200+ per night, I don't think this property is worth it and I would not stay there again. The hotel looks very tired and is obviously an aging property. The bell staff was very nice though. You have to use them to park your car (17.00 per day extra) because there is no self parking other than a garage next door.

• Stayed August 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2007

Stayed here for business for 3 nights. Way overpriced ($200+/night during my stay); there is no self-parking - only valet in the parking garage was available which is $17-19/night. Hotel staff were nice and helpful. Hotel exterior & interior looks nice. My room was on the 14th floor; had a nice view facing downtown Miami. Internet access in room was not free; had to ask for a refridgerator, which was old and made a weird noise. Room was a little older (carpet & walls), but clean. Bathroom area was okay. Location was good and near a number of restaurants; also, the Dadeland mall is down the street. Alot of construction (new condos & high rises) in the area was going on during my stay. Did not visit any of the amenities. Would not stay here again because of the price paid.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Price & costs for everything (parking, internet in room, etc.), no free breakfast
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2007

My family booked three rooms at the Marriott Dadeland. We were part of a wedding party of over 40 out-of-town guests and the bride & groom had chosen this hotel due to proximity of the wedding. The check-in process was chaotic and we did not get into our rooms until 2 hours after normal check-in. I had booked the rooms 2 months in advance and the hotel knew about this wedding at least 8 months in advance. Furthermore, I had called 24 hours before to check on the rooms and request early check-in due to the hectic wedding rehearsal schedule that day. The excuse given for the late check-in was that we wanted our rooms on the same floor. I think that is was poor planning and prioritizing on their part. To add insult to injury, one of my family members was charged $250 for smoking in their. room. We were not told about this fee when I called to make reservations and requested smoking rooms; when we checked in; not posted on their website. However, there are tiny cards with fine print in the rooms to let you know! Ironically, two other members of our party smoked in their rooms and they were not charged the fee. So...smokers beware of the Marriott chain in Florida! By the way, I did look up the Florida Non-smooking Law and the penalty is $100. I guess Marriott needs the extra revenue to "recover" the room. In addition, you can hear other guests using the bathrooms from other rooms. Upon checking out, I was given the wrong keys to the car by the valet. From a world traveller and Miami native, I recommend that you stay away from this hotel! Try the Hampton Inn nearby.

• Liked — Room service was good.
  • Disliked — Disorganized, noisy rooms and surprise fees.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2006

I am currently staying at this Marriott and I booked my stay for six nights. I am very, very satisfied and even more surprised that this Marriott is very nice. Their staff is very professional and courteous. The service is amazingly great and the food at the restaurant is very good. They have an amazing Sunday Brunch that will entice all cultures.

• Liked — Amazing location
  • Disliked — Not enough food selection at the Concierge Lounge
  • Tips/Secrets — For great taxi service call Luis [---]
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Miami Marriott Dadeland? Share your experiences!