“A real dive!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #119 of 130 hotels in Miami
Aylett, Virginia, USA
“A real dive!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed here on 3/29/13 and left 3 cars in the deck for 8 days while we were on our cruise. The stairway smelled of urine, the registration desk advised people not to be out after dark.There was so much mold in the rooms, I looked for mushrooms. They advertised security, the only thing we saw was a security guy in a black tee who hung out around the dumpster - wasnt sure if he stole the shirt somewhere or not. The shower first scalded you and then dropped water temperature to freezing - horrible experience. The room was paralel to the interstate and the airport was closeby so airplanes flew over our heads all night. There was a van that offered free transport to the mall, they told us just to call when we were ready to come back and give the driver 15 minutes - we called when we were ready to return and were told that the next shuttle didn't run until 6:30 - hello, what were we going to do for 3 hours?! We attempted to walk back, ran into some shady characters and slipped into a fire station where the crew offered us a ride back to our hotel on the fire truck (super nice guys)! They offered a "free" continental breakfast which consisted of a bagel, a muffin or a slice of toast and either coffee or orange juice. The bagels weren't much bigger than a 50 cent piece and neither were the muffins - cream cheese was an additional 75 cents.They told us just to call when we returned from the cruise and the van would pick us up from the terminal, we called and were told that he'd be there in 30 to 45 minutes! When we returned to the hotel, we found that someone had busted out the back window of one of the SUVs we paid to leave in their deck. When we asked them to call the police, they told us they probably wouldn't come - they came very quickly. They told us they didnt have security cameras (as advertised), we saw 3 of them but they didn't know if they worked or not. The police officer said there had been 11 vehicles vandalized the week we were there and of course the hotel wasn't liable for any damages. Word of advice - pay more for a better hotel further away, you don't need to be so close to the port or the airport - it's not like you feel safe walking around the area anyway.

Room Tip: I'm shocked they asked me to rate room service - was there room service?!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

306 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a business trip and wouldn't recommend it to ANYONE. We had some misgivings while we were in line to check in and things only got worse from there. The hotel room smelled terrible so we bought a can of air freshener and used it each time we came in. If our kids were with us we wouldn't have stayed but it was just us so we just stuck it out. It was conveniently located and we didn't want to rent a car but that was about the only good thing it had going for it.

I never took my shoes off in the room (wore my flip-flops in the shower) and slept on top of the covers. Checked for bedbugs and body fluid stains and were lucky enough not to find either.

There was a restaurant downstairs and the food was okay.

Room Tip: Choose a room at any other hotel in the world!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Bocas del Toro
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I wouldn't even rate this low as it wasn't for my experience with the front desk staff. i only stayed for one night and the rice I paid was very low, i didn't expect anything. I'm quite used to nothing so a hot shower and a proper bed was enough, that was exactly what I got! So no complains about that, but what really pissed me off was the lady at the front desk. At check-in I specifically asked about the breakfast that was included, and indeed it was included. So the following morning I enter the breakfast area and order breakfast. Then suddenly I saw some one walking in with a voucher, so I asked the waiter who got very annoyed because I order a $6 breakfast which I had to pay for. I cancelled that breakfast and went to get a voucher. I had three options, a muffin, toast (which I noticed being server as dry bad with marmalade). So I chose the Muffin which was the smallest muffin ever, but again, you get what you pay for. What makes this review bad is the service, I asked specifically regarding the breakfast but it was too much for the lady to tell me that I need a voucher to avoid humiliation at breakfast.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Memphis, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I'm sorry to have to say this about your hotel but I have to say it for good of the owners and customers, well I book a room for a couple, firstly I request a room with a single bed and they gave them one with two, second these people were very disappointed about this place because there were many cockroaches and feared that they were into the luggage, my suggestion to the owners is that if you want to continue with your hotel open do something about it because this is unhealthy and it makes them look bad with customers.

Room Tip: It doesn't matter if you have to pay a little more, what matters is that you are satisfied with...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I've stayed in some dumps but this place took the cake. It was run-down, smelly, the hallway outside my room reeked of urine. It was poorly lit outside. I did not feel safe. There were holes in the wall "stains" everywhere. I slept with my clothes on, kept everything off the floor and didn't open my suitcase. The onlything this place has going for it is that it's relatively cheap and has a decent location which is probabaly the only reason this placs is still open. If I was Choice Hotels I would be ashamed to call this one of my properties. I know it's cheap but do yourself a favor and do not stay here.

Room Tip: Call another hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Nokomis, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

The absolute worst place I have ever stayed. I wouldn't have stayed here but the room was booked thru STAY123 and it was to late to argue after arriving. We used this hotel because they advertised "stay and cruise" parking, For the $78. room fee it is the cheapest parking anywhere. Our first room had blood on the mattress, no mattress cover, pre 1960 burned and mismatched furniture, and was generally a dump. Thee second room was a little better and the wife made tham put on a mattress cover. The second room was a "updated" room and showed that someone was trying to improve but had a long way to go. Be warned that if you stay here don't expect much. A long term resident warned my wife" Honey. don't carry your phone that way somebody here will snatch it. I' was robbed in the hallway." I will be complaining to choice hotels about this hotel carrying the Rodeway and Choice brand names

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Cape Town Central, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Granted, it was affordable in comparison to other motels in Miami but to stay in this motel again they would have to give me money. We were given a room opposite the ice machine which was used all night long, when we requested another room, this wasnt possible. The room was filthy, my three year old daughter had BLACK feet after walking barefoot from her rickety rollaway bed to the bathroom. The location next to the highway may seem convenient but it is so noisy. The breakfast is a joke! You get to choose between a mini bagel, a piece of toast or a mini muffin. When you ask for some cream cheese for the tiny bagel they charge you two dollar. To all fellow travellers: dont stay here!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Rodeway Inn Miami Airport? Share your experiences!