“Good Hotel, a few things let in down and stopped it being excellent.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel

25% Off + FREE Upgrade
Ranked #5 of 130 hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersGold level
London
“Good Hotel, a few things let in down and stopped it being excellent.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

We stayed at the Epic for 3 nights Dec 23-26. I have 90% positive things to say about it:

The rate was excellent.
Location good - close to the airport / cruise port / bayside / good local restaurants and easy to hop on a bus to South Beach or a mall etc.
Nice rooms.
Excellent bed.
Great pool area.
We stayed on the club floor, which I would highly recommend.
Staff were helpful and pleasant during our stay - especially Sonja in the club lounge.
Free computer in room - excellent, all hotels should do this!

I have 2 complaints which stop it from being excellent - firstly the room I felt could have been cleaner... the bathroom was, on close inspection not cleaned properly (lots of dust behind the sinks etc and the bed was never made properly during our stay (the bottom sheet was never touched at all!), only a small thing in what was a great room, but I don't expect dust or to have to make my own bed in this standard of hotel.

My biggest concern was we lost our luggae on the way out. Sonja was so very helpful in tying to help us locate it, but alas we had to leave for our cruise with it still missing. When we returned back to Miami we were staying in another location for a few days and we called the Epic several times to see if by chance it had turned up and each time was told no. 3 days the later the local delivery company provided us proof that it had in fact been at the Epic for at least 3 days! When we rang again and told them, they "found it" and used the excuss they didn' t have our correct phone number - this is rubbish as we gave it in when we chceked in, it is on my online record, Sonja has it as she called me on it and they also have my email! We were without luggage for at least 3 days when it was sat at the hotel and no one told us.

This I am afriad, has made me mark them down as it seemed when we were there the service was excellent, but that stopped once we left and that, along with us not having our luggae is a real shame. The hotel itself is still lovely I just feel let down by the after service re our luggae....

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
seanmckeenmiami, Resort Manager at EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2011
ta2306:
Thank you for taking a few moments to post your experience with us.
We are thrilled to read that you enjoyed the majority of your stay. We appreciate the feedback of your daily guest room service and your lost luggage; both items will be addressed.

1,927 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (474)
Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

We just came back from The Epic for New Years weekend. I booked a club level room,which is definitly worth the extra cost.I always make a point of asking for a quiet room,away from noise,elevators,etc.It was on my reservation,and I also told the front desk girl.She said"we are booked up"but my room should be quiet." Well,it was next to the club lounge(the kitchen)so there was noise all day and night.We couldnt change the room.But everything else was great.The room was on the 29th floor,great view of the city.With a terrace to view the fireworks.Theres a computer in the room,& free internet service.I loved the 5 presentations in the club lounge,and the concierges were so nice.The food,expecially at the evening reception,was really good.All the amenities at the hotel,the pool,spa,restaurants are exceptional.We didnt even leave the hotel,we had everything we needed there.I cant imagine staying anywhere else in Miami.In fact,we intend to make this our close to home getaway from now on.Upon checkout,we told Macarena about the room noise,and she looked up our reservation and saw that we requested a quiet room away from noise.This very sweet young lady really cares about people.She gave us an adjustment on our bill,which I wasnt expecting.I just want the manager to know that my room request was ignored by the check in person,but check out made up for that,and Macarena is a great employee.This is what makes people come back to a hotel.I just know next time,to ask for a different room on the club floor,and make sure I check the room first.But I have been telling everyone to stay at the Epic,they wont be dissapointed.There is no reason to stay anyplace else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
seanmckeenmiami, Resort Manager at EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 5, 2011
lmmBocaRaton:
Happy New Year; we are so happy that you chose to stay with us and thank you for taking a few minutes to post your experience with us. Thank you also for your recommendation and we look forward to your return stay with us.
Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

Our pet was welcomed in a genuine gentle way and like royalty! We loved the room: very clean and nicely designed! Superior room with water view was large and very comfortable.
Housekeeping was a bit slow to make our room...but this was a very tiny inconvenience actually. We had dinner twice at Area 31 (the rest of the Hotel) and the food was great. Will go back for sure.

ParisPuertoRico:
Thank you for taking a few moments to post your experience with us.
We love our furry little family members. We will follow up on the housekeeping service.
We look forward to your return and your fun little family.
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2011

Stayed for 4 days at the EPIC. Nicely decorated, overall very attentive staff, good restaurant, pleasant spa but missing a beat in a whole hearted "guest comes first" attitude. Little things but ... I don't want a hotel employee to intrude into our room-service breakfast in bed to determine the minibar usage nor deal with a snippy hostess in the restaurant when I wish to sit in a place where the bar menu isn't regularly served, etc., etc. In a luxury hotel I expect first class service every time, every place.
The spa is nice (and the treatments were very good) but I've been to others where there was more hands on client care – tea, lemon-water to drink, scented pre & post treatment room with comfy chairs & dim lights.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
seanmckeenmiami, Resort Manager at EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2011
pentimento123:
Thank you for posting your experience with us.
We will be sharing your feedback with the team to drill down on a few of the details which you mentioned; especially the guest comes first attitude.
Espoo, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

My family and I just got back from the Epic in downtown Miami having enjoyed a fantastic 9 day vacation. I am a frequent guest at 5 star hotels in Asia and rate this hotel superior to most of them - it's a true first-class hotel from start to finish! The building has a perfect location in downtown area and presents an ultramodern city skyscraper overlooking Biscayne Bay - with steel exterior and stylish balconies to all rooms. Interior design is Asian style. The lobby is stunning from the very first moment you step inside being high and spacious - and presenting beautiful details: complimentary corner with coffee and tea, fresh water containers with refreshing aromas (starfruits, mint leaves etc), water fountains, and a stylish lounge with chic divans and huge windows to the terrace of the Japanese restaurant Zuma and the Miami River.
The service was second to none. Prior to this visit I have never experienced such kindness and professional touch with customers. We were a family and had booked 3 Club level rooms with a city view. Upon arrival lobby staff greeted us friendly and accompanied us to our private check-in on the 29th floor. Our flight from Europe was massively delayed and our luggage was missing so we arrived exhausted and hungry at a late hour - after long travels. Our hospitable concierge Gene gave us our room keys and assisted with necessary items (toothbrush, razor etc). Then in the lounge we were immediately offered us a glass of wine and beef kebabs - even though the evening food presentation was already over! Gene (the concierge) went downstairs to get some leftovers just for us! What a wonderful service here - thank you so much for this special welcoming gesture! Service was outstanding throughout our stay. The staff and concierges in the Club lounge were all so friendly whenever we saw them. Reuben took a lot of time to locate our missing luggage and took photocopies of papers, wrote a report upon arrival of the luggage etc - thank you so much! Concierges were very helpful and problems with missing luggage really point our why it is great to have such service! The Epic is also gay friendly which is an appreciated touch of tolerance and makes everyone feel welcome.
Our guest rooms were spacious and all-in-all top-notch. Huge beds with soft linens, lots of storage for clothing, minibar, iHome for iPhone docking, ironing facilities, large LCD-TV, private computer with free internet access, wireless internet for free (as we were InTouch members) and guest services information, stylish two sink bathroom with separate bathtub, a separate shower closet and toilet - just to name a few... The balcony had a nice view to nearby towers with some sun in the late afternoon. The skyline at night was amazing. Noise isolation was very good and there was an ice machine right down the hallway. We had requested our rooms next to each other but the concierge could not arrange this as the floor seemed to be quite full for the holidays - this was not a problem though.
My partner and I exercised daily during our stay. The Epic provides a free running map to all guests. The map has 3 routes in Brickell (to the south) which aren't very good - although you get an idea of the area and see some pretty private houses and gardens. There is a lot of traffic and you have to cross streets - and the skyscrapers make the routes quite shady. We ran all three several times but found out the best way to run outside it to take a taxicab or city bus to South Beach and go running there - with plenty of sunshine and pretty beachfront tracks and/or broadwalks. The gym is located on the 16th floor and is very modern with Technogym machines and free weights - each of the machines being equipped with a private TV screen, iPod docking station, joystick control to adjust your speed/pace. A very good gym with the latest machines - and a fantastic view over the residence side pools! The spa is on the 15th floor and has a free-of-charge hamman steam bath and an infrared sauna. The hammam unluckily didn't have enough steam - but looked cool with star ceiling and was very clean. We liked the sauna more - it had a private CD player/radio and you could also turn off the light to relax. The Spa had wonderful amenities (private lockers, towels, rubber flip-flops, hairspray, deodorant, mouthwash, shampoo, conditioner, skin wash etc - all complimentary to guests). The spa was never crowded. The Epic pools are very stylish. Two large pools with water up to 85F, fab views to the bayside, chic sunbeds and polyrattan divans, complimentary suncreens with different protection factors etc. The pooldeck opens at sunrise and closes at sunset. During our stay the pool hours were inconsistent as on some days they opened the deck even before 6.45am, and on some days not until after 7am. As early birds we had to wait behind closed doors and there was so staff around or a telephone to call the front desk. The heater broke down twice during our stay so sometimes the water in the pools was colder which was a minor disappointment. We had luck with the weather. Staying from Dec 20 for 9 days we had sun everyday. Some days were cool due to an arctic blast in Eastern United States with temps dropping at night close to freezing. At daytime it was warm but sometimes the wind felt a bit too cool though. Pooldeck is quite windy on such days.
There is a complimentary wine reception everyday from 5-6pm in the lobby or at the pools. The hotel invites for a glass of red, white or sparkling wine with tuna tartar. A true highlight of our stay was the Club lounge with its extraordinary staff! Thank you so much Lucia, Mark, Oscar, Reuben, Sonja, Raquel, Andrew, and Gene!!! You are the best!! The lounge has 5 different food presentations during the day starting with breakfast from 7 to 11am. Breakfast didn't have much variety but was of a good quality - including bagels and toast, quality cold cuts, cheeses, fresh tropical fruits, muesli and cereals, freshly squeezed orange juice, wonderful organic teas, and coffee. On request we were offered special things like cranberry juice, fresh raspberries and blackberries. Everybody learns your name easily and the service is very personal yet professional. Lucia quickly picked up my favorite tea and kindly brought it to me and always made the mornings special with her warm smile. At daytime you can enjoy yummy canapies such as small pastries, pasta salad, healthy foods etc. Also cookies and sweet cakes. In the evening there are more canapies and sweets, plus a complimentary bar service and you can order cocktails etc. The lounge staff are very courteous. My dad got sick during our stay with a respiratory infection so he was repeatedly offered hot drinks by Mark. I like energy drinks so Mark - again - got some for me - thank you so much for all of this! The lounge is very friendly in design and also good for families with kids - as there is a large iPad like table with games, maps etc. The staff pays attention also to kids. We spent many evenings here - chatting and spending a quality time together. I highly recommend paying the extra for the Club level - it's worth it - especially with the personalized service!
Our stay at the Epic indeed exceeded our expectations. I recommend this property to everyone looking for luxury and quality time with family or partner/spouse, and as a city break away from your daily routines. We were not disappointed (even though the minor downsides I mentioned in the review) at all -but positively impressed - and would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
henri_s:
Wow, unbelievable detail.
Thank you for taking a few moments to tell us about your experience with us.
Thank you also for the recommendation; we look forward to your return.
St. Helier, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

Havign arrived at the hotel after taking Tri-Rail from Fort Lauderdale and connecting metro service the front service was none existent. Althoguh I was quite clearly staying pulling a suitcase along, the porters/ concierge were more involved in meeting and greeting the many people arriving for dinner at Zumas in their flashy sports cars, therefore leaving me entering the building in the wrong entrance and taking several extra minutes to check in. However, on check in, Ashley at the reception made me feel very welcome and showed me personally to the lift. A tip if not a regular Kimpton guest. If you are not too concerned about he room type, select the lowest priced room and after confirmation they offer a standby upgrade to superior rooms at 50% discount. This is what I did and enjoyed a great room, with large baclony, overlooking Miami harbour and at small surcharge well worth the extra

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
GaryCI:
Thank you for taking a few moments to comment on your experience with us.
My sincerest apologies regarding your initial arrival experience; we will immediately address these opportunities. I was happy to see that Ashley was able to spend a few additional moments with you and made you feel welcome.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2010

I flew in to Miami to have a couple days of relaxation with my best friend. That's exactly what we got. The hotel itself is amazing. Its beautiful inside, its very big, yet comfortable and cozy.

Our room was beautiful. We had a balcony with a great view of the bay, the pool and the city, especially at night. The beds were super comfortable, our room was cleaned and maintained perfectly every single day, and everyone was so friendly. The front desk was awesome. They were so helpful and friendly and felt like we've known them for years.
We aboslutely LOVED the pool area. It was so chic and modern and the service there was great. We ordered drinks and food at the pool and it was very good and quick.
We also had dinner at Zuma one night (the sushi restuarant downstairs) We made reservations for the wrong day by accident but they still accommodated us right away. They sat us at the sushi bar which was even better because the chefs were so cool and friendly and kept giving us samples of things to try. The sushi is VERY yummy. It is also a hotspot apparantly because we saw Noami Campbell and her boyfriend, Vlad Doronin dining there that night behind us. There's also another restaurant there called Area 31, heard it was good but we didn't get a chance to try it.

The only downside is the location; depending on why you are in Miami in the first place. We went to South Beach a lot (to meet friends, go to restaurants and clubs), so we had no choice but to take a 20 min cab (about $25 each way). It wasn't the most convenient thing, but we were almost happy to get out of crowded and noisy South Beach and go back to our fanstastic hotel. It made our stay very calm and relaxing. Speaking of relaxing, they have an amazing spa with a beautiful Turkish suana and a great gym with a yoga room. All in all, this hotel is wonderful and is great for people of all ages. They're even pet friendly (saw a cute shitzu during my stay!) :)

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
AnnaAlexKC:
Thank you for taking a few moments to post your experience with us.
Thank you also for all the accolades.
Sean McKeen

Been to EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!