“Oustanding downtown property with excellent staff for business stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel

25% Off + FREE Upgrade
Ranked #4 of 130 hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersGold level
Los Angeles
“Oustanding downtown property with excellent staff for business stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2010

I was in Miami mid January on a photo shoot . I have stayed at many fine hotels throughout the country, "The Epic" ranks as one of my best experiences. My clients and colleagues simply cannot say enough about this hotel! The views of the intercoastal are great, the staff was very attentive, the rooms spacious and well appointed. We all preferred the downtown location to the beach area, for business it was quieter, yet conveniently located. My hats off to the management for meeting our requests and exceeding our expectations. Because of our stay we are looking at the Kimpton properties in Dallas for our next shoot. Thanks again for a great stay.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business

1,962 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (473)
Lowell, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2010

I recently stayed at The Epic in Miami and it was truly an exceptional stay. The pool was the star and so were the employees that ran the area. They treated us very well with service and kindness. My kids 15 and 18 liked the area and hotel much better than the South Beach hotel we stayed at last year. We could walk to restaurants and shopping from the hotel and we went shopping at The Sawgrass Mills Outlet Mall.
Thanks for a great stay !

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
seanmckeenmiami, Resort Manager at EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2010
smithbenz:
Thank you for taking the time to write an exceptional contribution. Thank you also for mentioning that the pool area staff exceeded your expectations. Thank you finally for staying with us and we look forward to you return.
West New York, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2010

My partner and I booked our stay for 5 nights at the Epic because of its status as the #1 hotel in Miami on Tripadvisor, and because we were able to find a pretty good flight+room deal online. We didn't realize that we'd be so far from any beach when we booked--if you look at the Epic's website, it deceptively shows pictures of beaches and the South Beach area, when in fact the Epic is a $25 cab ride from South Beach or any of Miami's other nice neighborhoods (Coconut Grove, Coral Gables). The Epic is in downtown Miami, and there's not a lot to do nearby. There is the Bayside Marketplace, but this is pretty much a tourist trap with limited shopping (national chain stores mixed with junky souvenir shops) and food options, and pricy bus or boat tours. One of my main disappointments with the Epic's concierge and front desk staff is that they seemed to have limited knowledge of the options available in the Downtown area. For instance, we asked one evening about good, reasonably priced restaurants in the area for dinner. The concierge told us that "pretty much everything closes at 6pm downtown", except for fast food, expensive restaurants and the Marketplace. However, we ventured onto the mainly deserted streets one night and found a half dozen nice, inviting, reasonably priced places in the area (Ecco Pizzateca is an example). Why isn't the concierge desk on top of this? Granted, this hotel may cater mostly to rich business travellers with expense accounts who don't think twice about dropping $500/meal, but the concierge should be prepared to assist a spectrum of guests with different requests. On another occasion, I called the concierge desk but got no answer, so I called the front desk. I asked the agent who answered if she could suggest any gay nightlife spots on a weeknight. She giggled and stammered that "I don't have any idea about that" and she said she'd have a concierge call us back. After a couple of hours, we didn't receive a personal call from the concierge; instead a list was slipped under our door. This was effective (if tardy), but it lacked the personal touch of the expected phone call. Another example of a lack of sensitivity when dealing with gay/lesbian customers came upon our check-in. We were informed by the front desk agent that we'd been offered a water view upgrade, but she then said there must be a mistake because there was only one king bed in the room. Rather than telling us the room description and allowing us to correct her if this wasn't what she wanted, she assumed that it was a "mistake". Generally, the staff was friendly without being aggressive; they were there to help if you needed them. However, we had some problems with botched room service orders, including missing items. We were also a bit peeved to find out that a large gratuity was already added to the room service charge; although the people who delivered the food tried to resist taking a tip, they still took it when we insisted, and without mentioning that the tip was included. For us, the treat/splurge of our vacation was staying in a five-star hotel, so we were trying to spend within reason in other areas. If you rent a car, the Epic will charge you $35/day to park, and for us this was out of the question. If you want to see a lot of different parts of Miami, the Gray Line tour bus is a decent option; tickets can be purchased at Bayside Marketplace for $20/day. If you are only interested in going back and forth to South Beach, you can catch a $2 public transit bus, the S or the C--it's fast, convenient and reasonably safe. A word about Area 31: the food was only so-so and the portions were tiny. But the worst part of our dining experience was when our server lied to us and told us only the prix fixe menu was available because it was Valentine's Day. Having just gotten to the hotel from the airport, we weren't interested in a four-course menu with wines at $155/person. When we pointed out to this server that an a la carte menu was delivered to our table that said "Happy Valentine's Day", our server reluctantly admitted that a limited a la carte menu was available, but she said "these aren't our best dishes". When we decided to share an appetizer and order two main courses and no drinks, she became brusk and unfriendly. Only later when we ordered desserts and a bottle of wine did she decide to be attentive and friendly again. If we wanted crappy, NYC-style service with attitude, we could've stayed home. All our other experiences with waitstaff at other Miami restaurants were satisfactory to fantastic--our only bad experience was at Area 31. I feel as if I've concentrated only on the negatives, so let me address some positives. The views of the bay are beautiful, and they afford you a view of the Epic's pools below. The pools are every bit as beautiful as they appear on the Epic's website. If the weather had been warmer, I'm sure I would've spent lots of time poolside. The gym is small, but has top-notch equipment in a pleasant setting. Our room was very spacious,although the decor was fairly bland/safe modern. The beds and the bed linens are heavenly and luxurious. The room service breakfast, while overpriced, is absolutely delicious. The complimentary wine hour is a wonderful, unique touch. The housekeeping staff did a great job with turn-down service; even though we spent a lot of time in the room, we were never disturbed and upon our return, the room was always perfectly tidy.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
departingNWK:
Thank you for taking the time to contribute such a detailed review. Thank you also for mentioning that you enjoyed the daily wine hour, nightly turndown service and the friendly staff, there to help when needed. Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants strives to create a work force as diverse, inclusive and multifaceted as its customer base; I am very sorry about the lack of sensitivity and the service opportunities toward your preferences. Your feedback and detail will be immediately addressed. We look forward to your next stay.
Warmest Regards,
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2010

I would stay again if the price is affordable. This is a fabulous hotel, but it is not on the beach, but it is on a "bay." Great service. Restaurant was expensive and location is so-so, so make sure you get a car. Great if you don't want to be too much in the mix of south beach, but just 5-10 min from it.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
seanmckeenmiami, Resort Manager at EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2010
missdai:
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great contribution. Thank you for mentioning the fabulous property and the great service. We look forward to your return visit.
Mechanicsburg, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2010

After staying at another property for a business meeting, my wife and I spent three days and two nights at the Epic because it was ranked #1 by Tripadvisor. The property is first class, and the hotel staff offers superb attention and service. It was obvious to me that the restaurant and bar are operated by an outside concession. The food quality is good but not great, and the restaurant service is relatively inattentive and unskilled, especially in comparison to the superb manner in which the Epic is otherwise managed. The property is a short walk from the Bayside specialty retail area and many other downtown attractions, as well as a short taxi ride to almost everywhere else; so the disappointing food service can be avoided. The mattress was softer than I prefer or expected, but it was not such a problem that I complained or lost sleep. The exercise room offers a variety and reasonable quantity of cardio and weight training equipment, but it felt crowded in the AM. The two pools are beautiful with exceptional service and skyline views; and even though I am a beach lover, they are more comfortable than a beach. Although the Epic is expensive, it is an outstanding property and I have no regrets about staying there. I do hope that the food concession is either changed or forced to improve their standards to better match the overall quality of product and service that I otherwise found at the Epic.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
DaveMechanicsburg_PA:
Thank you for taking the time to write such an outstanding contribution. Thank you for mentioning the hotel staff and superb attention. We look forward to your return visit.
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2010

Highly recommended place to stay, comfortable beds, great restaurants, great nightlife on the weekends.

Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Mrperryjr:
Thank you for taking the time to write such an excellent contribution. Thank you for recommending our property to others.
New York, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

Epic promised but didn't quite deliver.

My husband and I stayed at the Epic for a conference in February and came to Miami earlier that weekend to spend some quality time together before heading back to the cold
Northeast. We stayed at The Setai on Miami Beach a few nights before but then moved to the Epic on Sunday afternoon for the conference--making the difference between the two hotels all the more stark--and the Epic turned into a disappointment.

We arrived late in the afternoon on Sunday as a few other conference attendees were checking in and pulled up in a traditional Miami Yellow Cab (no need for a car in SoBe). When we got there, the bellhops simply stared at the car pulling into the carpark, looking bored with their lot in life and not making any gesture to come and help us. After struggling with our bags, one bellman finally came over to stand lackadaisically by as my husband pulled our bags from the trunk. He didn't even offer to take the coat or backpack that I had slung over my shoulder. He grunted at us to go into the lobby and followed us in. Later in the trip (after getting bumped from my flight home), I returned to the hotel from the airport and had the exact same experience--the driver had to help me get my stuff out of the car--the bellmen (numerous at this point) stood around looking lost.

We checked in with the girl at the front desk who, after telling us that there were no rooms with a single bed left, continued the "bored with my life" vibe and waved us away towards the elevators and up to our room. The room was small and standard with a computer and television and two double beds. To make matters worse, we landed in a handicapped room--with no real way out since the front desk woman was SOOO helpful earlier (at least at this point). We were right off the elevator bay (which mind you, dings all the time, though you couldn't hear it through the door when you were in the room). After getting settled we went and checked out the 16th floor reception (wine for free) as well as the hotel amenities including their restaurant, the new Exhale Spa that just opened, and the pool area.

The restaurant seemed to be a pretty typical hotel restaurant--and we glanced at the menu but decided to pass on dinner that night (we were pretty tired and the food didn't look all that appetizing.) Later in the trip we had lunch at Area 31—which was ok-typical hotel restaurant fare and prices. I had the Mahi sandwich and substituted the fries for a salad which they were happy to do. The pool area seemed fairly neat but the weather was cold and rainy so there wasn't any opportunity to use it. The pool is raised and there are cabanas around the edges that look like they could be pretty nice, though I am not sure why you would stay here when you could hop across the bridge and get a place on the beach for the same cost. I wanted to check with Exhale to see if they would honor my NY membership (which having traveled to many places that have Exhale outside of NYC, I know they do) but the guy behind the desk had no idea and told me that I would have to pay to take one of the Core classes. I was too tired to argue so I decided to just leave it.

My husband and I then returned to our room to relax and I decided to go an track down some ice, only to find that the ice machine on our floor didn't work. I called the front desk to let them know that the ice maker was broken, but didn't get a call back to let me know that it was fixed and the woman on the line didn't even offer to have some ice brought up Since your key gets you to your floor but not others, you can't exactly use it to go to another floor to rustle up some ice so I basically resorted to stalking another guest to another floor with a working ice maker.

When I got back I noticed a message light on the phone--and my husband went to retrieve it--only to find that there was some mix up with which room we were actually in and we couldn't actually get the message because according to the computer we were in one room, when in reality we were in another. This wouldn't have been such an issue if we hadn't decided to get room service later that night. (Side note--room service was good--food was pretty decent and sizable). The guy delivering our food ended up standing outside the wrong room knocking for about 10 minutes before the front desk called us to let us know that our room service was ready (but that it was being delivered down the hall). We got it straightened out eventually but it was kind of a disaster.

Finally, my husband printed out a boarding pass from the in-room computer--and it simply never showed up--no one brought it up to slide it under our door, and no one called to let us know it had been printed. I wonder if you ever had something really important printed, if it would actually make it to your door.

On our second night we were finally moved to a room across the hall (same dinging elevator all night long) but MUCH nicer. This had a bay view and a much larger bathroom and king size bed. If we had been in that room originally my impression of the hotel would have been slightly better. The balcony overlooked the Intercoastal heading out towards the bay and there was a pass through between the bathroom tub and the bedroom which was a neat design element. Again I made an ice run, but was foiled by the same broken ice maker. This time however, I ran into one of the hotel employees in the hallway who saw me standing with my broken (the handle was broken) ice bucket by the elevator. She told me to stay in my room and that she would have someone bring ice up. She was very nice. A few minutes later she re-appeared with a cooler full of ice which she used to fill up my bucket. About 2 seconds later a second employee came with a full bucket of ice as well. The cleaning people and the service folks were great.

One other nice thing—the hairdryers that they provide are FANTASTIC. They are ceramic ion hairdryers that do a great, quick and quiet job on your hair without burning it like most hotel dryers do.

We also had a lot of trouble with the air conditioners in the two rooms. Both rooms were stuffy and hot and you had to turn the AC down to 65 to get the room to cool down to about 70.

Overall however, The Epic leaves you with the distinct impression that its kind of trying but its almost too much of an effort to make it that extra mile. I probably wouldn’t recommend this to someone looking for a good place in Miami as there are others that simply blow it out of the water.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
seanmckeenmiami, Resort Manager at EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2010
Abswim79:
Thank you for taking the time to write your detailed contribution. Let me first apologize for the opportunities that you encountered. Your detailed arrival experience has been communicated to the appropriate departments and you can be assured will be rectified. Thank you again for your contribution and we look forward to regaining your trust in the EPIC.
Resort Manager

Been to EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!