“Gorgeous hotel! Great experience!” 5 of 5 stars

Fly South for the Winter
Ranked #5 of 129 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersGold level
Monterey Bay
“Gorgeous hotel! Great experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2009

My husband and I travel quite a bit and I have to say that the Epic Hotel in Miami is truly epic! We've stayed at other top quality hotels, but this hotel tops our list! We had stayed there for 3 nights about two weeks ago after a week long cruise and staying there was a great way to end our nice vacation.

We received an awesome deal from travelzoo and was able to book a king premier room with a balcony. The balcony over looked a part of the waterway and downtown area. Really nice! From the time we checked in, the staff was very welcoming and very pleasant. I was so impressed with how they allowed us to check in at such an early time as we left from our cruise real early in the morning. The rooms at the Epic is a whole other story. Very spacious and very clean equipped with more ammenities than you would expect at other lavish hotels. The bathroom is huge and very modern contemporary. It even has a window looking into the bedroom area. I enjoyed the flat screen desk top computer with free wi-fi (very convenient!), the flat screen tv, and the ever so comfortable beds!

The pool area is very nice with awesome views of downtown and the waterway. They have several pool areas to hang out at which is very pleasant as it wasn't crowded at all. When we went to hang out at the pool one day, the workers were always so attentive and so kind to refill our water glasses whenever they noticed it was half full! We also needed some information about renting a car and ended up talking to the conceirge at Epic. Not only was he very helpful and informative, but he also gave us some great tips on where to go and hang out around the dowtown Miami area as well as South Beach. Very helpful! If you plan to be out on the night on the town, the hotel is isn't too centralized. However, they do have River Lounge, a nice classy lounge bar to hang out at for drinks and to mingle as well as Area 31 at the hotel. If you plan to go out somewhere in South Beach, it is about a 15 minute drive and would cost about $25 for taxi ride. .

Our last night we decided to rest and stay in. We ordered room service and I was again impressed with how prompt they are. Although the food was very delicious, it was a bit pricey. One plate cost us about $40.

Overall, the Epic hotel in Miami is one hotel I would definitely return to. If you're looking for great top quality, great service, and a pleasant experience, Epic a Kimpton hotel in Miami was the hotel that provided that for my husband and I! We look forward to returning back to the Epic in Miami in the future!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
seanmckeenmiami, Resort Manager at EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2009
MiaLora77:
Thank you for taking the time to write such a fabulous contribution.
We are so happy that you mentioned our quality, great service, and overall experience. We look forward to your return.
Sean McKeen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (527)
London, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2009

I recently booked a weekend stay at the Epic at the end of a 4 week Florida holiday. I travelled with my wife and 3 young children.

The main highlight of this hotel are the employees. All staff were polite, courteous & friendly without being overbearing. Management obviously place a great deal of emphasis on customer service and it shows. People underestimate how effective a smile is and everyone who works here is smiling.

Being ranked the #1 Miami hotel on Tripadvisor is why I booked and its good to see the hotel being proactive with its management responses to some of the posts here.

My only tip if you are planning to stay at this property is to join the free Kimpton In Touch program. You may get lucky and be sent an email with a exclusive member offer (as I did) that can save you hundreds of dollars over normal rates.

This is a great hotel for a short break with a great pool area. I highly recommend it.

If they read this - here are a few very minor suggestions for the hotel management......

- The pool has several tiles missing on the external walls - these are quite sharp and could be nasty for a child.

- You advertise kiddie packs for children....we didn't get any and doesn't look like a reviewer below did either - no biggie, but if you promote it in the room, literature and online - you need to offer it.

- You need some new glasswear/plastic wine glasses for the evening reception. You only had a dozen wine glasses and the rest of us drank wine from whisky tumblers each night, which were filthy dirty. I noticed Wal Mart had some nice blue plastic ones for $3 each - a bargain!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
RichB4Kids:
Thank you for your fantastic review and for your candid feedback. We appreciate you mentioning that the highlight of your stay were the employees. Ultimately, we are not satisfied unless we exceed our guests expectations. Regarding your suggestions all have been rectified. Thank you again for the review and your suggestions; we look forward to your return.
Jacksonville, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Epic Hotel over Labor Day weekend, and we were not disappointed. We had previously stayed at the Kimpton's Hotel Madera in Washington DC, and so we purposely stayed at a Kimpton during our trip to Miami. As a member of Kimpton's free InTouch club, we took advantage of a $99/night special, and it was completely worth it.

The weather wasn't so great, but the hotel was so enjoyable that we didn't mind hanging out there for the evening. I would recommend Kimpton's hotels to anyone interested in something different than the regular hotel chains. Do yourself a favor, and join their InTouch club. They run specials all the time, and it's a great benefit.

Also, I noticed when I was reading reviews on here for the hotel restaurant Area 31, there were some that made me a little hesitant to give it a shot. Well, my husband and I dined there our first night, and it was awesome. The service was exceptional, and the food was diverse and delicious. I can see how anyone that is very picky about their food might not enjoy it, but if you're like me and willing to try anything, I would highly recommend it.

One tip: Be prepared to pay the $30/night for overnight parking though. It's valet-only. We weren't expecting that, and didn't have very many small bills.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
seanmckeenmiami, Resort Manager at EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2009
rwolfe618:
Thank you for taking the time to contribute your review. Thank you for communicating some of the details of your stay with us, we sincerely appreciate all the feedback regarding our Kimpton In Touch guest loyalty program.

We look forward to hosting your future visits to Miami.

seattle, wa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2009

I booked this hotel after reading all of the positive reviews on this website. I had high expectations going into it, and the experience I had exceeded my expectations.

My boyfriend and I stayed here after we got off a week-long cruise. We had to leave the boat early in the morning and decided we'd go on ahead to the hotel with all our luggage around 9:00 am, and we weren't sure if we would be able to check-in yet since check-in wasn't until later afternoon (3:00 I think...). Anyways, we were very welcomed when we arrived extremely early and we were given our room key immediately! This was SO nice since we were so exhausted. The room was very modern and had a great view and a huge balcony; it was very clean, there was free computer & internet access right there, a plasma screen TV, and the bed was very comfortable. It was wonderful. (I did miss the animal towels we were used to seeing from the room stewards on the cruise...)

My experience at the pool was also amazing. When I asked if I could get a towel when I first arrived, the pool attendant took me over and set me up with a great view of both the pool and the water with a towel to lay on and one for a pillow. He then brought me complimentary wine from the evening reception in the hotel, and came to check on me often. However, I did not have any cash to tip him - I didn't realize I would be pampered at the pool - so I feel stingy and really regret this. (I believe his name was Roberto, and if any management reads this, please send him my gratitude and note that you have an outstanding employee who would be fabulous with many more customer service responsibilities than just working at the pool! He made my experience at the Epic that much better.)

We decided to try the Area 31 restaurant for dinner, but when we got there we were disappointingly turned away because there were so many reservations (it was a Saturday night). The hostess told us to try back in 45 minutes, and we did so without any complaints. We were understanding of the situation. When we returned, we were immediately recognized by the supervisor who was very apologetic and set us up with complimentary champagne and sat us right away. The food we had for dinner was spectacular! It is pricey, but well worth it.

Overall, I highly recommend staying at this hotel in Miami. The icing on the cake is that it is a pet-friendly hotel, yet it is so elegant seeming that you would never suspect a dog or cat has ever set foot inside. I did not have my dog with me on this trip, but knowing she could stay here if needed was a bonus. Even though I live in Seattle, I am thinking about staying at a Kimpton hotel here for a special occasion because of my positive experience at Epic.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
seanmckeenmiami, Resort Manager at EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 21, 2009
imoldgreggory:
Thank you for taking the time to contribute such a fantastic review. Thank you for communicating the details of your stay with us, we sincerely appreciate all the feedback regarding the wonderful service at arrival, while you relaxed by the pool and throughout your dinner. I will definitely acknowledge the pool team for providing you an amazing experience.

We look forward to hosting your future visits to Miami and hope to be able to continue to impress you with our style of service which intends to exceed expectations and create unique experiences. (I will work on the animal towels at turn down too).

Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2009

I stayed here 3 nights as part of a business meeting. It was a fun and different experience as the hotel is very "hip" (ok, you can tell I'm not hip by my use of that word!) and modern. Although I was here for business, my mother and my infant daughter joined me.

Service: excellent. From the initial men at the front door who greeted us, called for a taxi, and offered us small bottles of water - to the room service waiter who realized I needed an extra fork without my needing to ask - and the spa assistant who scheduled a last minute massage for my mother - and so forth, the service was great.

My only issue is that I specifically called ahead to request a crib and it was not in my room when I checked in. Since I was content with my baby sleeping in the bed with me, I didn't feel a strong urge to make another call for the crib I had originally requested. There supposedly is a Kimpton Kids thing too, but I never saw it.

Rooms: Almost perfect and stunning. We were in a water view double double room. Separate deep tub, rainfall shower. Large flat screen TV with yoga lessons if you wanted it, computer with free (!!) internet access, large balcony with chairs. Bed was so-so. Not the most comfortable ever with average linens.

The only (somewhat insignificant) reasons I would say the rooms aren't perfect are that if you order room service or have a stroller, it's a tight squeeze to get the tray/stroller immediately past the front door and into the room's hallway. Also, there are sliding doors for the bathroom and the toilet room, but they don't provide much sound protection for other guests in the room and there isn't the option of turning on a fan for noise control/masking.

Pools: Wonderful!! My favorite part of the hotel. The pool furniture is modern yet comfortable. Truly very neat and fun to sit and lounge in. One of the pools was heated. A nice view overlooking the water. The last night of my meeting, we had a catered dinner on the pool patio - simply lovely!!

Food: A mixed bag. I wish they had a larger room service and poolside menu to be honest. Basically everything poolside was simply a smaller selection of what was on the regular room service menu. I did like the Area 31 grouper club. Breakfast was good, but one dish wasn't cooked properly. To be fair, they fixed it and provided a free fruit plate to make up for it. I was satisfied. The mini bar is nice and has a good selection, though it wasn't replenished at all during our stay. The catered meals with my meeting were good. They did South of the Border theme one night and Italian the other night. I much preferred the Italian dining options.

Location: You can walk ~10 minutes to the Bayside mall area for dining and shopping and entertainment (music and some activities for kids). The port of Miami isn't too far away for any cruise-goers. And you can take about short taxi ride to the beach if you like as well (we did).

Overall: We enjoyed our stay at this unique and trendy spot.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
SunnyInCleveland:
Thank you for staying with us and for your review. Ultimately, individualized preferential or personalized services are paramount to our properties guest service decree. We appreciate your acknowledgement of our excellent service, stunning rooms and wonderful pool.
We recognize and acknowledge from your feedback where our opportunities lie regarding your preferences.
Thank you again for your feedback and upon your return we look forward to exceeding your expectations.
Miami
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2009

I stayed at the Epic for 10 days. The hotel is shiny new, the rooms and lobby are very nice and luxurious/trendy. Everything looked sharp clean and service was perfect for the first couple of days. I was excited about staying at this hotel.

As days passed however some of its flaws became more evident. On-going cleaning for the room is sub-par, they basically make up your bed and move the things here and there, nothing else. When I needed room service I was treated badly by some of the staff, no wonder I got pissed off. Besides the average service (I was expecting excellence considering you pay for it), the valet parking is $32 and dining options are more than limited in room service.

If you are all about partying, a luxury hotel in South Beach may work better for you. If you want luxury in the Brickell area, then go for something else.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
TSpotter:
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay with us; be assured that your candid feedback will assist our property in providing our guests with the service excellence that you would expect. Let me first apologize to you regarding the housekeeping opportunities which you encountered. Thank you for mentioning in your review the luxurious property. The In Room Dining Menu has been updated to allow for more selection. Please feel free to contact me to further discuss the details of your stay.

Lyon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2009

We have stayed at the EPIC Hotel in a waterfront Club Level room from 28-31
Aug 2009.
Due to the outstanding experience we had, we would like to take the time to
comment on our stay.

From a mere factual point of view, the EPIC in itself is already a
wonderful place, with sleek and modern rooms, great views of the Miami
harbour and Miami Beach in the distance. You could continue with praise for
all of the tangibles but that would not reflect nor describe what you
really experience here as the characteristics are those of any top-end
hotel around the world and reproducable by others.

What really makes this hotel stand out among its peers in the area and
around the globe are its people. Upon entering the hotel, you can sense a
calm and relaxed type of team spirit, which also has a calm and restoring
effect on the guests. Out of all the nice people we met at the hotel, we
would like to point out some of them who made our stay really special.

Arriving from another hotel in Miami Beach, we called up the hotel to
arrange a transfer to the EPIC in advance and spoke to the Club Level concierge, who
turned out to become our main point of contact in the hotel and club
lounge. He won us over with his professionalism, effectiveness and
attention to detail. You could feel that he was doing at all times much
more than his job to make our stay with you as unforgettable as it was.
With good recommendations and an impeccable drive, he arranged and checked
several tours for us, all of which we turned down in the end as we did not
want to leave the relaxing atmosphere of the hotel anymore.

But this positive experience is not only limited to one single person but
also applies to all other staff we met. They managed to overcome the
distance between employee and guest that is experienced most of the time
when travelling. Due to the amount of travelling we do and the focus on
many other things, it is rare for us to remember specific names. But be it
the young and friendly staff at Club level or the helpful colleagues by the pool,
they all turned from face- and nameless employees into real personalities
and people we will remember and tell others about. They did so due to their
presence, commitment and dedication and by living all the good values
advertised on the in-room leaflets.

As a small note for improvement regarding our stay, we would note our
experience with the Sunday brunch at Area 31. Despite the nice setting,
jazz music and some quite good food, the disappointing part was to find the
same pastries as at the club lounge the day before on the brunch buffet and
then again during the afternoon/ evening the leftovers from brunch
re-appeared at the club.

All in all, this was one of our most exciting hotel stays ever and we will
not hesitate to talk about it to our friends, family and colleagues across
Europe.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
seanmckeenmiami, Resort Manager at EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2009
ASTG:
We love the title of your contribution,”Great staff make it one of the best hotels ever”. Thank you for contributing such a fantastic review and for mentioning that you will remember our employees and the outstanding experience you had.

Resort Manager

Been to EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!