“It truly was an Epic stay!” 5 of 5 stars

25% Off + FREE Upgrade
Ranked #6 of 129 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersGold level
New York City
“It truly was an Epic stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2009

The Epic hotel was a pleasant surprise for Miami. I frequent the area and I can honestly say Miami hotels typically offer "run of the mill" service. The Epic was quite different. I experienced amazing service from the first moment I arrived. Although, since the hotel is new, the taxi dropped me off on the corner, because the driver got lost. When I walked up the driveway the doorman rushed over to help me with my bags. This was just the beginning of an excellent stay.

The front office staff were personable and the concierge was excellent. The concierge even hand delivered a confirmation for a spa appointment nearby. The hotel spa was still under construction, but I look forward to visiting again and enjoying their Exhale spa, which will be on the 15th floor.

I worked out at the gym during my stay. It is located just off the pool deck. I was glad the gym had free weights and a variety of weight machines. I was able to get a full workout, instead of just doing cardio.

I had at least one meal each day at the restaurant, Area 31, which has some of the best yellowtail tuna! The drinks are excellent...try the hand crafted cocktails, all of which are $12. Typical for the high quality. Room service was also good. If you ask, they will allow you to order items from the restaurant menu or the bar for room service delivery. I noticed that some of the desserts Area 31 offered were not on the menu. They gladly accommodated my requests each time.

The only thing to consider is location, but I am reluctant to stay on South Beach after years of traveling to Miami, because the room rates for the better hotels are ridiculous for the poor service. I would rather stay in the Brickell area where the new upscale hotels are located, then cab or drive to the beach. Otherwise, you are not missing much on SOBE. It is not like it used to be only a few years ago. I would rather stay at an "adult" hotel, like the epic. There was a cool bar/nightclub on the lobby level. I did not have a chance to check it out, but it was lively each time I passed by.

The room was over the top. I was in a corner suite and the wrap around balcony had views of the bay and the surrounding skyscrapers. I enjoyed the view because I could see if I-395 was busy. Perfect for planning my trek to SOBE for the nightlife (future visit). I did not realize there was a busy music conference on the beach this weekend, so I did not actually travel to SOBE, a few friends took me to the northern part of Miami Beach where it was less crowded.

I was surprised to see the Acqua Di Parma amenities at this hotel. I am a fan of Kimpton and they typically offer Aveda or L'Occitane amenities, but this hotel clearly is a notch above the Kimpton properties I have experienced. They are all pleasant, but the Epic felt more like a five star hotel than a four star hotel. I stayed at the Mandarin the last time I was in town and it did not come close, except the pool at the Mandarin was not as windy. But who goes to the pool anyway, except to drink and eat. I come to Miami to hit the beach.

The restaurant has an excellent brunch on Sunday with live music for $64 (with taxes). It may seem like a lot for those looking to dine on the cheap, but let me tell you, the caviar and fresh lobster were well worth the extra coin.

Book a suite and you can leave your computer at home. I had a personal computer workstation in my suite and the bathroom was large enough to enjoy plenty of intimate relaxation. Especially with the hydro-spa tub and the spacious rain shower. The bathroom even had a balcony. A big wow!

I traveled to Coral Gables to visit friends and to what would be called the midtown area and it was only about 15 minutes in each direction, which made for a pleasant in-town travel situation. Therefore, the hotel is centrally located to the areas I love. I used to stay at the Biltmore a couple years back, but I got tired of the 30 minute drive from Coral Gables to SOBE, but I was addicted to the adult feel of the hotel. Now, I have a new place to call home when I travel to Miami. The Epic was spectacular!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
Oxford, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2009

We booked into the Epic for a one night stopover in Miami on the strength of the Trip Advisor reviews. It was great! From the friendly smiling staff who didn't bat an eyelid at our two jetlagged children dashing into the pool at night to the wonderful bathrooms - loved the open plan wall which allowed one to lie in the bath and watch tv! We were all too tired to dine in the restaurant so ordered a few dishes to snack on by the pool - these were fresh and delicious. Breakfast on the terrace was great - fab eggs benedict - before another swim. The cabanas by the pool are stylish and relaxing - we would have liked to have stayed longer. Would definitely recommend this place, both to couples and families.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2009

totally loved it, didn't want to leave but the $81/night deal was only good for 3 nights and i wanted to get at least 1 day & night on the beach. There's alot of construction closeby and a drawbridge but the rooms are the most soundproof that i've ever stayed in. The restaurant staff messed our order twice but the manager was reading my mind both times and personally delivered the food and put it on his tab. the pool deck attendant (tingting) is great. she showed us the free cabana that has a wii for hotel guests to entertain themselves during the 3 rainy days we had. they also gave us complimentary fruit kabobs poolside. the pool had several types of cabanas ranging from $200/day to free.
the restaurant was very tasty and surprisingly cheap for a hotel restaurant.
the room was huge, the bedding was amazing quality, the balcony was huge and clean, There was a free desktop with free wireless in the computer. The maid service brought us the NY Times, Miami Herald, free bottled water and apples everyday. the mini bar had alittle extra space to store some leftovers...Did i say the bedding was super soft, high quality and crisp. The standup rainfall showerhead was effecient and blissfull. the soaking tub was large enough for two. The lobby was amazing a day & night. The lounge was a hot spot on Fri & Sat nights so you don't really need to leave the hotel. But if u'd like, Little havana, Downtown and Bayside are w/in walking distance. The Midtown Mall and Sobe are short busrides away.

Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

I received a fabulous rate on the Epic and by looking at the reviews on here we choose to stay here for Memorial Day weekend. The hotel was very very nice. The rooms are big and comfy. We had a nice balcony, huge bathroom and the service was impeccable. If we needed anything, it was there within minutes from a pizza menu to when our key no longer worked because of a later than usual check out, to retrieving our car. The pool attendants were happy to cater to your every need, even filling your water without even asking - better than most restaurants. I am always impressed by the exceptional staff at Kimpton hotels and this was no exception! I have already recommended this hotel to friends. A+

Hoboken, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2009

I stayed here with my husband for two nights prior to leaving on a cruise. The hotel is located a short drive from the Port of Miami and South Beach! We loved this hotel! The service was amazing! The staff was so attentive and professional. Even down to calling you a cab, and bringing you cold water as you waited outside - there was always someone nearby to make sure your needs were being attended to. The hotel also has a great "happy hour" each evening with free red and white wine and sangria, which was a great way to wind down after a long day at the beach! Our room on the 25th floor was spacious, beautiful and clean! The bed was so comfortable, and it also had a terrace with a great view of the city and the water! Also, the rooms have free internet access. I could go on and on about how much we loved this hotel. Our only regret is not staying longer! We had an amazing experience here, and we will definitely be returning to this, and other Kimpton hotels in the future!

phoenix, az
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2009

I love Kimptons, and that was the reason I booked my stay at Epic, but I must say, for the first time ever, a hotel has exceeded my expectations. The rooms at Epic are simply gorgeous, and the service is amazing. Whatever it is, you just have to ask for it, and the staff make it happen.

The hotel is within a short walking distance of Key Brickell, a most charming little island with a walking/jogging trail boasting incredible views of the Bay. There are plenty of great restaurants nearby. I didn't rent a car and walked everywhere, and felt very safe. I caught a city bus to South Beach, and that was easy and comfortable, and for $2 you can't beat it!

I skipped breakfast at the hotel and instead went to Starbuck's two blocks away. There is also a CVS on the same block,which is super convenient.

The only negative experience I had was at the restaurant - Area 31. While the service is still very friendly and attentive, the food is not good, and menu selections are very limited. There is no ambiance whatsoever. The restaurant gives you the feeling of being at a bus station. On the other hand, the simple lunch time menu at the pool is great and very reasonably priced. And they really go out of their way to serve you.

Don't miss the wine reception/social hour 5-6 p.m by the pool. It is hosted by their concierge staff, who are super gracious, friendly and knowledgeable.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2009

We stayed at the Kimpton for one night after a long flight from the UK (about a 15 minute drive from the airport). The hotel is amazingly plush and glamourous, but the location in the heart of the business district leaves it feeling a little bleak and impersonal. I would definitely recommend it for a one or two night stay, but not for a longer holiday - all the action is down on South Beach, which unfortunately is not walking distance from the hotel.

On the plus side, the rooms were beautifully decorated, spacious and comfortable with free internet access , amazing views and a lovely bathroom. The 16th floor swimming pool is wonderful, again with stunning views across the bay - however, it can get very windy so worth bagging one of the private pool cabanas to shelter from the wind.

Cocktails from the bar were large and expensive - we didn't eat in the hotel, but walked to a local restaurant.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
seanmckeenmiami, Resort Manager at EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2009
gingerwife:
Thank you for staying with us and for your review. We are happy that your review noted amazingly plush facilities and beautifully appointed rooms. Developing our concierge team to create personalized, guest experiences are paramount. The next time you are in town for a short stay; please allow us to create a unique experience in vibrant downtown Miami. There are plenty of new hot locales; perhaps you needed a few recommendations.
Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to your return.
Best Regards
Sean McKeen
Resort Manager

Been to EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!