“Unbelievably trendy, contemporary, and serene” 5 of 5 stars

FREE Upgrade Offer
Ranked #4 of 131 hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago, IL
“Unbelievably trendy, contemporary, and serene”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2009

We decided to branch out from our usual hotel chain and try the EPIC. We were amazed from the lobby. This hotel is very contemporary, with great accents that make it different yet refreshing. The bathroom was stunning with an amazing shower and a tub I would actually consider getting into. The room itself was tasteful with a great balcony and view of downtown Miami, the pool and the river. We were on the 28th floor. The only drawback was a limited room service menu and limited hours of room service available in our opinion. The computer with free internet access was great. Great, quick valet service.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

1,848 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2009

Very stylish hotel. Quick valet service and check in. If you are taking a cruise like I was, this hotel is really close to the Port of Miami. The front desk staff (Ferah) was exceptional. The hotel itself is right on the ocean (no beach) in the center of Miami. The front desk was out of welcome gift bags for my kids so they went out and purchased some really cool robots and gave them to my kids on check out. We had a suite which was really nice and adequate for the entire family comfortably. The room was modern with a large flat screen TV, computer with internet, IPOD clock, very comfortable bed, etc… The bathroom and amenities were great. If you can afford this hotel (or think you can afford this), I would recommend a stay here.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Amityville, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2009

I stayed at the Epic Hotel from 4/14 – 4/17 based primarily upon the reviews that were posted on this website. The prior reviews do not accurately reflect my visit to the Epic Hotel.
First, DO NOT expect a five star hotel – DO NOT expect a four star hotel. The Epic Hotel is a solid three star hotel that is located in the middle of a massive construction area. There is construction of a new Marriott Hotel next to the Epic Hotel, and there is an office building being constructed behind it. Construction noise permeates the premises from 7 AM through 6 PM.
DON’T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THE CONCIERGE FLOOR
I stayed on the Concierge Floor. Again, DO NOT expect the same “concierge service” that exists on the Concierge Floor of a Ritz Carlton Hotel. No, this is ghetto concierge. Let me give you some examples -- In the “concierge lounge”, according to Epic’s website and in-room brochures, there are supposed to be light snacks and drinks served throughout the day. You are even given a schedule of particular offerings in the concierge lounge.
The “continental breakfast” in the concierge lounge was standard fare – bagels, cream cheese, lox, a few pastries, fruit and yogurt. Very much like what you’d find at a Best Western’s “continental breakfast”. There was also a lunch snack – turkey sandwich finger food. There are wine and cocktails put out from 6 PM – 8 PM.
The one that intrigued me was “Sweet Dreams” from 9PM – 11PM. I asked the concierge, Gene, what “Sweet Dreams” was – he answered that there were lots of dessert treats and after dinner cordials for guests to enjoy. Here is a list of the “Sweet Treats” that I saw when I went to the Sweet Treats on 4/15 – No after dinner cordials (there were nine bottles of hard liquor – vodka, gin, scotch, etc. – that had been out all day.) There were two bottles of white wine that had similarly been out all day. The “sweets” were two bags of Doritos Tortilla Chips that had been opened and put on plates, six mini cookies on two plates (lined up three to a plate), pretzels on separate plates, and two mini-dark chocolate Milky Way Bars. That was the “Sweet Treat” on April 15.
Simple answer, if you are going to stay at this hotel, do not waste your money on the Concierge Floor (almost triple the price of a standard room in the hotel).
ROOMS
In my estimation, there were about 60-75 guests in the hotel when I stayed there. Clearly, the hotel was pretty empty (since there are 411 guest rooms).
The room that I stayed in had two double beds and a “water view”. The view was actually of Biscayne Boulevard (US Route 1), but if you look through two buildings that are under construction, you can see a part of Biscayne Bay. There was a draw bridge on ground level (twenty nine stories below my room), but you could hear the warning bells ringing every time the draw bridge went up or down (approximately every ½ hour).
There was no dresser in the room. The only drawers to store clothing or personal belongings are in a night table between the two beds. The bathroom was very nice, but it is still a question to me why there is an open window and a curtain shade between the bathroom and the bedroom instead of a solid wall.
There was a huge balcony overlooking Biscayne Boulevard that was approximately 6 feet wide and 15 feet long. Surprisingly, for a balcony that big, there is no lounge chair – there are two chairs and a square table that take up about 3 feet of the balcony. Without any substantial furniture on the balcony, it is very desolate to stand out there and stare at the road below.
During my stay, as with many of my hotel stays, I placed the loose change that I accumulate in a glass that I place near the telephone. After my first day, there was probably three to five dollars of loose change in the glass. The glass and the change were gone after the first time the maid cleaned the room. Buyer beware. Also, be careful of the staff’s cleaning – on my first night in this high end room, my foot was stabbed by a toe nail that was left in the carpet by a prior guest.
AREA 31 DINING
By far and away, the Dining Services offered at the Epic Hotel were the most disappointing. There is one restaurant named Area 31. The restaurant has an incredibly limited menu. Moreover, the bar in the restaurant has a very slim selection of cocktails. (During my stay, “Thomas” a member of the restaurant staff told me that “he does not want to air the Hotel’s Dirty Laundry, but there was a party over the weekend that used up most of the Hotel’s liquor and the Hotel could not yet restock.” Why couldn’t the hotel restock after nearly a week?) Now, I ordered several drinks that are common, but not that common to be used up by a single party – Brandy Alexander (hotel had no more brandy), anisette (hotel out of that), sambuka (hotel out of that), crème de menthe (either clear or green)(hotel out of that).
When ordering, I was immediately told that the hotel was out of escargot – not a big deal for me since I do not care for escargot. No other changes were noted on the menu. There were five fish dishes on the restaurant menu. I ordered Mahi Mahi at the suggestion of my waitress. About a half hour later, the Sous-Chef, Steven, came out of the kitchen and told me that there was no Mahi Mahi left. (By the way, I was the first person who came in for dinner at 6:05 PM. The restaurant opened at 6 PM for dinner. When did they run out of Mahi Mahi since I was the first guest for dinner?) I ended up having a grilled swordfish dinner that was dry and difficult to eat.
In recognition of the immense screw ups by the restaurant staff, the Maitre’d did not charge me for this dinner, but invited me back the next night when he was sure that all of the problems would be resolved.
I went back the next night to try the only restaurant one more time. This time, I did not order any drinks from the bar, and stuck with water and iced tea. I ordered only what was recommended by the waitress after confirming that there was an ample supply of the selected food. There were no less than five staff people (some of whom I did not recognize) who continually interrupted the meal to have discussions about the prior night’s disaster and whether this night was any better. I ended up being more annoyed by the constant interruptions than anything else. I finished my entre, paid the bill, and left without any dessert.
NOTE: The dessert menu is also extremely limited at Area 31 (four desserts in total). There are no “traditional” desserts – no cake of any kind, and no pie (except key lime pie). As a second note, if you order the chocolate moose, you may wish to make certain that you leave the whip cream topping off since it is grapefruit flavored, and sours the rest of the dessert.
Finally, the charges for the food at this restaurant are not commensurate with other restaurant charges in the area. Dinner for a couple with a couple of glasses of wine/drinks will be approximately $200-$225.
EATING AT THE POOL
From 3 PM – 5PM, the restaurant kitchen is closed, but you are supposedly able to get something to eat at one of the tables around the pool. (Now, this all comes from the same kitchen mind you.) I ordered a salad with a sliced chicken breast. My travelling companion ordered tuna salad. It took one hour and fifteen minutes for these two salads to arrive.
After the extreme wait, I was expecting something extra-ordinary – but, it was just a few field greens that you can get pre-packaged at any local food store, with oil and vinegar and a chicken breast cut up on top. By the way, I was not alone in the wait – another person in the pool area arrived at the same time I did, and he had to wait the same time period for his salad to arrive.
Due to the delay, the waitress ended up giving a complementary round of drinks to compensate for the delay in receiving food.
STAFF
Most of the reviews on this site talk about how wonderful the staff is. The staff constantly asked if there was anything that they could do to make your individual visit more special. While generally speaking, it is true that the staff is pleasant, they are extremely slow in responding. It is my belief that the staff’s pleasant behavior is used as a cover for the many short comings of this hotel.
Financially, let me give you an idea about the cost of this hotel -- three nights at this hotel cost me $1500. There is no doubt in my mind that my money could have been better spent at any number of other hotels in Miami or nearby Fort Lauderdale. It does not make sense for me to endure the frustration of staying at the Epic Hotel again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Beverly hillsand las vegas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2009

Stayed there in mid April one night. I used to live in Miami Beach and travel there frequently. This place is better than the beach hotels that charge double. Would rather stay there and take the short cab ride to the beach. Value for the money is absolutely outstanding. Booked a basic room and was upgraded to water view, meaning of the port and all the way to Miami Beach. Generous balcony with table and chairs. Really cool spot. I have paid several times more in town for much less.

The room service menu is limited and they could use a few more TV channels, but other than that the place is perfect. Staff is more like one would expect at the Beverly Hills Hotel or Plaza thenee in Paris than something at these prices. Next time I go to Miami I will take my wife there and book a suite.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2009

Since registering to the chain's "In Touch" service after a fantastic stay at the Burnham in Chicago, I received a good deal for this hotel just in time for a planned 4-day holiday in Miami with a gal pal. This hotel was everything I asked for: luxurious, welcoming and comfortable. The staff is very eager to please and take care of you at all time. Kudos to the ladies who work around the pool and always keep an eye open to refresh your towels or your iced lemon water. The room itself is out of this world. I can't believe they actually had a PC in the room for us, Frette sheets and Acqua di Parma toileteries in the bathroom. Also, when we got there, there was a fruit plate with orchids and a hand-written note welcoming us. See, that's the Kimpton way: even if I paid a low fare, they still treated me like a valuable guest. The food at Area 31 is really good - I had oysters, the tomato gaspacho and lobster. Try the "Hot Crush" cocktail at the bar - I wish I had the recipe to make one right now!

As for the very minute negative factors, which I'll mention just to give the Epic reasons to aim even higher. We had problem when ordering food at the pool. I had to ask for the menu 3 times. But when the food came, it was hot and delicious. Dinner at Area 31 also brought trouble (our waiter misunderstood my order and I didn't get my entrée when my friend's was brought to the table), but when they found out, the chef himself brought a complimentary appetizer to our table for me to eat while I waited for my food. Wow! I have to add that the very friendly breakfast staff is confused and very slow.

So anyway, I HIGHLY recommend this hotel if you get a good deal or if you can afford it!

I really wish there was a glass window instead of the open space between the bathroom and the room. It's not very private, even with the shade drawn. Also, the balcony door is really hard to open (hurricane-proof I guess) and I sprained my wrist trying to open it.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2009

This hotel is absolutely wonderful!! Very modern and trendy. Great if you are looking to stay in downtown Miami rather than the beach scene. Although the beaches are only a quick drive away if that is what you are looking for. i did not eat in the restaurant at the hotel but there were a ton of restaurants in walking distance. However, we did partake in the room service breakfast and my husband is still talking about the delicious bagel and lox he ordered. It came with like 8 huge pieces of lox! The food was delicious! The service was unbelievable- quick and incredibly friendly. They give you what you want before you even ask for it!! The service at the front desk when we arrived was superb and by the pool they were on top of everything without being in our face. And the infinity pools were refreshing and even heated. And the views!! WOW!! We had a balcony that overlooked the Biscayne Bay and it was unreal. We ate our breakfast out there every morning. And the goldfish in the room was a very cute and unique touch. We also loved that each room had a computer with free internet access. The bed was incredibly comfortable and the bath tub in the bathroom with the partition looking into the bedroom was very cool to relax in! Would definitely visit again!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Tallinn, Estonia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2009

The Epic is a very modern and pleasantly looking hotel. The facilities are very nice, the views are great, etc. However I found the staff VERY poorly trained. It seemed that just by smiling and repeating my surname every second word, everything would be fine. Great service needs to be seamless and professional. Unnoticeable. It annoys me when people prettend to know me after 2 mins of hadnling my credit card, and be artificially nice. If I was going there every second week, I would expect the people at the reception to know me and treat me accordingly. But not having stayed there before, I just want professionalism.

After already a few months open, there are many things staff does not know or is not trained for.

An example of this was patent during breakfast. We had booked continental breakfast and were given coupons at check in to be presented at the restaurant. Apparently no one knew how things worked, since we were presented with an "a la carte" menu. We insisted that we just wanted the continental breakfast and our server mentioned that we could have anything a la carte for a value of $25. Nowhere could I find anything like that mentioned (neither in the coupon nor in the menu itself). Finally some manager came and explain that we could have continental breakfast. However when asked what items we could choose from she just said: "coffe, juice, toasts and pastries". She said it in a way implying that continental breakfast was the "spartan option just to get along with people coming with coupons to her restaurant". She did not offer the chance to choose what pastries we wanted to have, how many, etc. The breakfast at Fairfield Inn was definitely more varied.

It was obvious to me that either they didn't know what to do (which I doubt) or they do not mention anything about continental breakfast in hope that people would just order a la carte and spend over $30 for breakfast. Worth to mention is that service was poor to average for us, but we noticed that the 3 tables closest to us had problems with their orders and seemed very unpleased (a family of 4 was looking very unhappy with the food/service, another table of two were sending dishes back for getting something they hadn't ordered, and some others were muttering about the sluggish service as well).

To top is off, the night before we asked the concierge for a good seafood restaurant and she recommended Quinn's (in South Beach), which turned out to be a very bad choice indeed.

Overall a nice hotel. I don't know if I would stay there again. I usually stay at Marriott owned hotels, I'm a gold member and no one tries to patronize me by repeating my name over and over. Appreciation is demonstrated by actions, not by words. When back in Miami I would probably shop arround again for accommodation.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
seanmckeenmiami, Resort Manager at EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2009
juanio:
Thank you for staying with us and for your review. Our beliefs epitomize the creation of unique, personalized guest experiences through name recognition and engagement. Ultimately, individualized preferential or personalized services are paramount to our properties guest service decree.
We recognize and acknowledge from your feedback where our opportunities lie regarding your preferences.
Thank you again for your feedback and upon your return we look forward to exceeding your expectations.
Best Regards
Sean McKeen
Resort Manager

Been to EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!