“Get a goldfish” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Get a goldfish”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Stayed here for a week attending meetings and a conference.

Nice bedrooms, comfortable bed, good desk space to work from, decent bathroom, although shame the shower is over the tub and not separate. Good level of service from all staff, especially the conference staff who were looking after my meeting.

Hotel is probably aimed at the young, wealthy and good looking (not sure I would be the usual guest if I hadn't been attending a conference).

A great treat was having a hotel provided pet goldfish in the room - a sweet touch.

Room Tip: Avoid overlooking the nightclub, if you want quiet
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (570)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Well located in the heart of Downtown Miami, along the Miami River, walking distance to the Brickell Avenue and Miami Avenue area. The rooms are large and confortable with a nice balcony overlooking the city and bay. The hotel has a very nice spa and 2 nice restaurants.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Very professional management staff. They know how to take care of a customer. I can't wait to go back to visiting at this hotel. Whatever was not right, they made it right or comped me without having to ask.

Room Tip: I would choose the waterside view, you can look down to the pool
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
savannah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We stayed for one night for a bachelorette party. We had a suite with a great balcony. I don't see that the experience warranted the price tag, nothing particularly amazing about the visit, but I surely can't criticize anything.

Green Features: the ac shuts off if any doors are cracked...even a little
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Ericka N, General Manager at EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, 4 days ago
flipflop526:

I am so thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us! So pleased we helpred make your bachelorette party memorable!
Thanks for noticing that we do our part to help protect the environment - we have many Green Initiatives that help make sure our footprint on the environment is as small as possible!
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! We hope it's EPIC...
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW via mobile

I have been a regular visitor to this hotel for the last year. I like the location and it has, till now, been a great hotel to stay in. Some kinks in terms of service but overall minor in nature. The telltale signs of wear and tear have been visible in the last few months and the slippage in service noticeable. The last visit (a week ago) was worthy of mention for a number of reasons.

I booked a junior suite for 2 nights. I arrived at about 6pm, and had to go out to a function about half an hour later. I was shown into a room which had a separate seating area. A large L-shaped sofa and an armchair. The sofa was simply filthy, large stains on the seats and very evident grease marks along the top where presumably heads had rested for far too long. I called as we were leaving for dinner and complained. Very apologetic lady, eventually agreed to send someone (my suggestion) to change the top cushions of the sofa. The maintenance fellow who came was clearly very surprised at the filthy state of the sofa. Cushions changed, grease marks couldn't without the sofa being cleaned.

When I returned from dinner it was late but I noticed that there were a number of blood stains on the floor of the bathroom and a sticky mess on the sink counter top. I called but was told that it was too late to get someone there at 2 am. They would send 'team' the following morning. Again, a super apologetic lady.

The following day, the room was serviced while we were out. The blood stains and mess on the bathroom counter were still there when we returned in the evening. Not only had a team not been sent, but the housekeeper had clearly not done her job at all. To have disgustingly dirty bathrooms in hotels is not something I ever want, and certainly not after having complained a couple of times and been reassured by extremely polite (but seemingly useless) people that the matter would be addressed.

It was agreed that when we went for dinner they would send this famous 'team' to clean and disinfect the bathroom.

When we came back from dinner the blood stains had gone, but the sticky mess on the counter (clearly visible, I even took pictures) remained.

The following morning was our departure day. At 8.10 there was loud banging on the door which woke me up. Turned out to be the housekeeper enquiring as to what time we were leaving...

I'd had enough of the pleasant but utterly useless people responding whenever I complained and asked to speak to the manager. I was put through to Zack who was again 'most amazed' but clearly unsurprised and did absolutely nothing. His only response relating to the housekeeper event was, 'what colour shirt was she wearing?'

Paying $600+ a night does not entitle me to much - I accept this is a fact of so-called 4-star hotels. But it should entitle me to:

1. A clean room
2. Staff who are not blatantly incompetent
3. Management that actually responds to clients complaints.

I have always been a fan of the hotel and am a rewards customer of theirs but have never used my rewards, of which I have many. It is sad when you see a hotel drop standards so remarkably, on every front. In some areas the staff remain courteous and attentive (the restaurant on the 16th level for instance) but when you have a filthy room, staff who fall into that trap of pretending to be efficient but are actually useless and believe politeness covers any issue, you know the place is heading south.

The GM needs to deal with the issues I outline above. The room was disgusting, the follow-up absurd. Having staff who are robotically polite but completely inefficient really does no favors in terms of client retention.

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Landed after travelling for nearly 24 hours. Check-in and all dealings with staff were excellent the HUGE PROBLEM was the dj playing in the pool area. I was on the 30th floor and could still hear the music over the television with the hurricane proof doors shut!!!!!!!!!!
The music stops at 11pm but if like me you are a long haul traveller and jet lagged the last thing you want to do is sleep in the middle of a night club when it's amateur dj night!!!!
I am normally a big fan of Kimpton hotels but unless you want to party hard every night I would avoid this hotel which is a shame as the staff were very professional and courteous

Room Tip: Even on the 30th floor you cannot escape the music! If you do stay ask for a river view
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Zachary J, Front Office Manager at EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, 5 days ago
perseumh:

It sounds like there were some definite problems that arose during your stay. We do have a DJ on the pool deck for guests to enjoy. However, it certainly does not sound like that was the experience that you had. While I am glad you found the team to be very courteous, I wish that you had not encountered such an unsettling experience. We would love to make it up to you the next time you stay.
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This is my first time at this hotel. This is a very pretty hotel with nice amenities. What makes it stand out for me is the staff; they were so nice and helpful. From our bellman (whose name I believe was Michael) to the staff at the Area 31 restaurant, everyone seemed to go out of our way to make our stay there a pleasant one. I only wish I knew the names of the staff at the restaurant so that I could publicly acknowledge them. The only disappointment was that we reserved a king size room, and there were only doubles available. That happens. Otherwise the room was nice, great view of the city, and for Kimpton members you get a $10 voucher off items from the mini-bar.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Zachary J, Front Office Manager at EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, 6 days ago
dennybg

Great review! We are beyond flattered to hear all of this wonderful feedback about our property and team. I can’t wait to tell Michael know how impressed you were with him. We all strive for such a high level of service so it means a great deal to hear from you. I will let Area 31 know how pleased you were with the dining experience up there as well. With a stay as great as this, we look forward to having you back for another one.

Been to EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!