“Good hotel but not my favorite” 4 of 5 stars

25% Off + FREE Upgrade
Ranked #6 of 129 hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersGold level
Miami, Florida
“Good hotel but not my favorite”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I was staying in this hotel for a meeting. The hotel is very nice, but when you come to Miami, downtown is not the ideal place, but if you are here for a meeting than it is probably the best place because at least you don't have the distraction of beautiful beaches. The room was very nicely appointed, beautiful view, extremely comfortable bed. Housekeeping and front desk staff was very nice and attentive.

Unfortunately the common/meeting places seemed somewhat cramped however. It seemed as though we were lacking space in our meeting. We were using a conference room in the mezzanine floor and it was EXTREMELY cramped for our meeting, you could barely get around the individual tables. Maybe for what we were using it for, it was not the best use of this space. The snack tables were set up in the hallway outside the conference room, making it extremely hard to get from one end of the hall to the other without bumping into people. You had to contend not only with meeting guests moving about, but also hotel staff as well replenishing the food. Not a good set up. This was a wide open foyer that you see in some other hotels, this was a small hallway maybe 3-4 ft wide. There was a lunch that we had that was set up as a family style dining which means that we at a table set up for 10 needed to share the entrees, this was a complete faux pas. I was sitting at a table that had seven people, and we were each given our salads and then when the entrees were brought out, the wait staff place a piece of fish and a piece of steak (no bigger than my palm and I have a medium sized hand) on separate plates on either side of the table and then on the opposite ends forming a cross, we were given plates of rice about the size of a coaster. We were a little confused because the entree portions seemed kind of small that we thought it was a mistake but when we looked at the menu, we noticed that it was family style and that we were all supposed to share this abundance of food. I've put up a picture of my lunch that day. As a matter of fact, it's the only picture of food that I posted because I thought it was a bit ridiculous. This was not a mistake on the part of the planner because this was all sponsored by the hotel and they have the concept of FAMILY DINING a bit skewed.

The pool area is a bit cramped. I arrived on a Saturday and was going to take advantage of the pool, but when I looked down from my balcony, it was completely packed. There are two beautiful pools, but when you have about 13 floors of hotel rooms, two small pools is not going to cut it. Of course, because this is a downtown location, the pool is really the only watering hole available to guests unless you catch a cab and go to the beach. Needless to say, I didn't go to the pool that day. I actually took a cab the next day and went to the beach.

If you are staying here for a meeting, as long as you are using the conference rooms on the 14th floor, then you are good to go because those seemed to be quite spacious. We had several great events in those rooms and spacing was not an issue. You will not have the distraction of the beaches to pull you away from your business. This is a good hotel for a business stay, I would not stay here for a tourist visit to Miami. Now if you are going to come in for a concert at the AA Arena or a game, then this is definitely the place for you! There are several good restaurant in the hotel itself and in the surrounding areas in downtown, it is close to South Beach night life (taxi cab away) if that is your type of scene.

All in all, I'm a little on the fence about the hotel. I've been to hotels where I've had great meetings and great personal time all in one place because the facilities had the ability to do both. For me, this hotel was good for meetings, but not good for personal time away from the meetings. I had to go out of my way to get that.

Room Tip: Since this hotel also has residences, they are in the lower level which allow for great, high floor...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

1,972 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (490)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My significant other, AngryBirdRed, gave an extremely detailed review so I will keep try to keep it short and brief.

Room: Decently sized room for a couple. Bed was comfortable however there were so many feathers that kept flying out of the blanket and into my nose. Thanks for the nasal assault. The toilet room didn't have ventilation, again thanks for the nasal assault of my own doings lol. Our room faced the pool which on Friday night had a lounge night with music blaring but ended at around 12am.

Amenities: 2 pools, free internet if you sign up as a Kimpton Karma Rewards member, happy hour from 5-6pm (Pino Grigio, Merlot, sangria, and finger foods. We missed the first night's happy hour so they gave us a stub for free wine at the bar.), business center to print boarding passes. They also have complimentary items if you forget things like chargers, which is nice but we never used and they have valet service for cars.

Overall, I honestly think the hotel is kind of pretentious especially the outside waiting area where all these people are waiting for the Rolls Royces, Ferraris, etc. Service is ok, not the greatest but not a deal breaker. I would stay here again if I didn't find another hotel to stay at in the area though.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I dont know if it was just a few staff members or the hats they wear, but most of the floor staff had a douchey vibe to them... Service wise, they were fine though.

The staff on the club level though were all very nice and professional, a step up.

The unlimited free alchohol at night and snack times/coconut water available on the club room during the day was a nice touch. (Wish alchohol was all day)

Location wise, it was ok for getting to work in the financial area, but quite far from south beach... or anything to be honest... but that is more about miami than the hotel.

The rooms itself was nice, and we got a nice view of the water.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I stay two places in Miami when I'm there on business and Epic is my preferred.
One of the better rooms I've stayed in with a great view.

There is a bit of the "I'm international and better than you" from some of the guests but it's Miami... expect it.

Room Tip: Stay on the Channel side.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Naples, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

From check-in to check-out we had a nearly flawless weekend at the Epic. We've stayed before but this time we brought my two mini-schnauzers and i can tell you they were treated as well as we were. We arrived friday at approximately 4:45 and despite a short wait to check into our room (2901 fabulous view fyi) we experienced an enhanced level of service in this hotel everywhere we went from the valets, the bellman, the front desk, the chambermaids, the club concierge...everyone went out of their way to greet us, to be courteous, to offer to assist us etc. It was a major step up from our last visit no doubt.
I do want to call special attention to the two brothers, Juan and Carlos, who made us feel very much at home on the pool deck. Arguably two of the nicest, most polished and genuine young guys you'd ever want to come across...not only in a hotel setting but in life as well. These guys are on top of everything out there...and are a credit to the hotel. If management is reading this...thats your *A* team right there.
The room itself was spacious, approx 950 sq ft with a huge balcony overlooking the bay. The rooms are nice..they arent going to wow you with lavish decor but they're beyond excellent when i consider a paid a Florida-resident rate of 315$ plus tax. The hotel is very pet friendly so my two little pupps had fun running around the room and in the halls (when no one was around).
The only complaint we had was our room-service dinner came up cold. They were quick to remedy the situation and we were happy.
This is a very busy hotel..especially with the pretentious Zuma restaurant anchoring the lobby. The valet circle gets very busy at night and even during the day the little circle gets jammed up with cars pretty easily. That said, we always called ahead to have my car brought down and we never waited more than a few minutes. taxi service is efficient as well.
I like this hotel..i love the pool deck too. I wish Area 31 would go back to an a la carte breakfast menu but i understand its more efficient with the buffet offerings. As ive mentioned in prior reviews, i prefer the downtown area over south beach. It's cleaner, the hotels are a better value, there are plenty of restaurants within a brief walk or drive. We will return to the Epic undoubtedly.
During our stay I was reading some of the recent reviews for this hotel. Some of them sounded a bit whiney...but i can tell you we never experienced anything like that during our stay.

Room Tip: 2901 is as good as it gets view wise...the balcony is huge and its at the end of the hallway so its...
Green Features: they provide recycle waste bins in the room and they will only change out your linens/towels if you ask..which i think is great unless you're there awhile :)
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We were in Miami for a Marlins game and wanted to stay close to Marlins Park, but at a decent place. As I am not familiar with Miami I used various travel sites and maps to scout our location and landed on Epic. They were offering a Florida resident special that included free parking so I pounced, and glad I did.

Keep in mind we arrived right after two baseball workouts, and were in need of a shower. When we rolled up to the entrance and saw Porsches, Ferraris and Teslas sitting in the valet area I was expecting the nose to go up as they collected the keys to my 2007 mid tier sedan. So not the case. Valet was welcoming, the front desk check in process was a breeze (and it was rum day so we got welcome cocktails) and the staff had us on our way in 5 minutes.

Our room was on the 21st floor with a city view, as well as a look over one of the waterways that connects to Biscayne Bay. The property is either very new or extremely well kept as everything was in pristine working order, and the decor was all modern. The ability to go out on the balcony and look down at the roof top pool area was nice, as well as the expansive view of the city scape.

I understand how some people can feel out of place, as Epic caters to a high end crowd, but even though we were in ball game gear and not dressed to the nines, we were comfortable in the hotel, including a night time swim that had us in flip flops on an elevator with a well dressed group ready to hit the club scene.

The location is perfect for what we were looking for. We walked to Bayside along the water way, and it was a $12 cab ride to Marlins Park. If we were attending an even at American Airlines Arena you can easily walk from Epic.

Great stay, and if you are looking do do the downtown Miami thing, Epic is the spot.

Room Tip: We like high floor and requested such in our rese. Got 21st Floor.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
icork
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Stayed for 6 nights as part of our honeymoon . This is a beautiful hotel in downtown miami

Very comfortable rooms / great air con / very nice staff - we really enjoyed our stay

Pool is lovely / bars etc all very cool

The free wine between 5 and 6 was a real nice touch

Few mins walk to bayside which had lots of shops and restuarants

Valet is 37 bucks a day which is a bit steep

Overall a great stay

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!