“EPIC FAIL: Returning to the Eden Roc!” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Fly South for the Winter
Ranked #5 of 129 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersGold level
“EPIC FAIL: Returning to the Eden Roc!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

Let me start by saying this was my second stay at Epic this year. My first time in April was very enjoyable. This review has the potential to be really long so I will use fragments for brevity. Booked in May for Aug 7-11. Annual Girls Weekend. Two Double Rooms with Waterview. Requested early check-in. Called from the airport that morning to see if they would be able to accommodate the early check-in and making sure our rooms were on the same floor (also requested on the reservation). Told at 7:15 am that both my rooms would be ready when I arrived at Noon. Neither room ready when we arrived. Didn't get into a room until almost 6pm. Told that we could not be on the same floor (it's a Chick Trip, of course we want to be on the same floor, especially since we couldn't be adjoined). In order to do it they would have to move "an amenity they were surprising me with" to the room they finally "located" on the same floor.This took 3 hours (yes! to move an amenity). Obviously they were stalling because they weren't ready. They guarantee your room(s) to be ready at 4pm. Basically, instead of enjoying Miami, we were held hostage in the lobby and at the pool (our luggage is in a bell closet) because they kept saying "just a few more minutes". Finally in one room and I get a call to come to the front desk. They have screwed up my credit card and needed more money. They didn't honor my Kimpton rewards perks and charged an additional $400 per room for incidentals after explicitly telling me that since I was a Kimpton member, they do not. Unprofessional, condescending Kevin and Felix (who tried to help) had no clue and held me at the front desk for over an hour. I explained how I wanted the remainder of my charges handled and they just didn't get it, claiming the system wouldn't allow me to use another card. A manager came up after an hour, we explained, she went in to the system, applied the card and figured all was well. Mind you, my second room is still not ready. She attempted to appease me with 4 drink tickets (there were 7 of us). After refusing to haggle (I felt like I was at back woods used car lot), we explained that we would stay our obligatory one (1) room night and would be checking out in the morning and returning to the Eden Roc where we usually stay ( I wasn't bluffing at all). I had already pulled up reservations on my phone while dealing with Kevin and Felix. She gave us two credits to be used in the hotel. The second room was not Water but City View (ridiculous). We dined that night in Area 31 (hotel restaurant). Waiter introduced himself, took drink orders left and 15 min later with no explanation someone else was asking us for our order. We ordered (sick of them by now) and dined on the most underwhelming meal I've had in a long time. I found myself longing for chicken fingers which by the way, I don't even like. Two days later at the pool, ordered a round of drinks, 45 minutes later, nothing. No explanation, no interim obligatory "I didn't forget you". Just nothing. I am typically relaxed, laid back, easy going and understanding. But this was ridiculous. I stopped another waiter (Juan) who was kind enough to explain that the computer had gone down at the change of shifts with the bartender. I wasn't sure if I bought it because I kept seeing food and alcohol being served during my wait. Ashley (my original server) came over after I saw Juan talk to her and apologized and the offered the first round on the house. The next round came out a lot faster. Housekeeping was excellent. Mercedes on the phone before my arrival was great but what she communicated to the morning staff was never executed. I polled my friends and we unanimously decided that overall this was an EPIC FAIL and we won't be returning. Staff needs training on communication and follow up. I am an Image Consultant and Life Coach. Epic looks good on the outside but when you get up close; it's an inconsistent facade.

Room Tip: Make sure your Waterview Room or Suite is facing the water not the street. It is surrounded by water...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (527)
Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

Great Hotel with an Awesome Staff. Stay in concierge level. Very helpful informing of the surrounding attractions and making reservations for your water activities. The Best part. You can walk 400 feet to one of the Best restaurants in Florida. Il Gabbiano. Hooked us up with a brand new Jaguar rental to tour the area. Need I say more. Great place !!!

Stayed October 2013
Boca Raton, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

I thought this hotel was great! I love that they do a complimentary wine hour from 5-7pm which is great for right after you check in! I enjoyed the comped glasses of wine and took them outside to enjoy the pool view! Rooms are very quaint and cozy. I didn't love the shower (not very warm and not enough water pressure) but other than that, loved the room! Great location as well!

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

My first trip to Miami, with my fiancee and we thought "why not stay at Epic". We had read a lot about it, mostly positive reviews and some negative ones, but we thought let's see for ourselves. My review consists of both positive things as well as negative, so I will try to group them together.

Let's start with the positives. Epic is a quick cab ride from Miami Airport. The check-in is pretty easy. You are given as many keys to the room as you'd like and given a key to the mini-bar (not free booze). They are 4 elevators and they all seem to be pretty quick, meaning you are never really waiting long for 1 to arrive. The room is pretty clean. We were on the 21st floor so our view was okay and we had a balcony. My fiancee was a karma member, we were allowed free wifi access and this worked pretty quickly. Some hotel wifi's are pretty slow, but that wasn't the case here. In the mornings (forget what time), they have a free coffee station in the lobby. In the late afternoons, between 5pm and 6pm, they have a free wine hour, where you are given a free glass of merlot or pinot grigio. There are 2 pools and we were always able to get deck chairs and get into the pools. Some hotel pools are always packed and you have to fight for space, but we went several times and always got chairs and space in the pools. We were able to print out our boarding passes in their business center on the 14th floor. Checking out was pretty fast. The concierge told one of the bellmen to get us a cab and we didn't have to wait long for one.

Now I will go over the room. As you enter, the bathroom was immediately to your left. Mini-room inside for the actual toilet, 2 sinks and a good sized vanity, a bathtub (with cloth window - not sure the purpose lol) and a glass box shower. Leave the bathroom, then on our right hand side, is the cabinet with the mini bar, the tv and desk. To our left hand side is the bed, which was kingsized. To the right of that was a lazyboy type chair, mini table, then the balcony, which for us, overlooked one of the pools.

Now for the negatives. To start, not one of the bellmen took our bags nor greeted us upon arrival. Not a huge deal, but a greeting would have been nice. The reason why probably is because there is always a traffic-jam in front of the building. The hotel set-up is insane. Going up a mini hill to get to the hotel front, you pass numerous cars, either parked, or trying to drop off or pick up people. Their parking structure is right NEXT to the hotel, instead of in back of it. There is a club on the 16th floor so there are tons of people waiting for valet parking or waiting for their cars. Another reviewer had mentioned that they like to put the fancy cars in front and they weren't wrong. We saw Ferraris, Rolls Royces, etc always parked right in front. This always made for a mini-adventure getting back to our room, because we had to navigate past all the bellmen running around frantically or the numerous DB's partying. We had called a week in advance to ask for a higher floored room (because we didn't want to be bothered by the club music late at night) and an empty fridge and were told the requests were put in. Yet, at check-in, the girl JUST put in the request for the fridge (which she knew about so that made no sense why it wasn't put in originally 1 week ago) and we given a room on the 21st floor. This wasn't exactly high. They have 30 floors, the top 2 are occupied, so I was guessing a room on 27 or 28, but 21 is kind of a middle level floor. In which, Friday night, we did hear the club music and it was loud, but at least it was only the one night and didn't last the whole night. Not sure if a room on 27 or 28 would have been better, but we weren't given what we requested. You need to use your roomkey to operate the elevators going up to your room. The keys are very sensitive. YOu have to swipe then press the floor. One of our keys didn't work, but luckily the other did. Then the room we were given is right next to the elevators. Nothing happened, but this is not exactly an ideal spot to stay. A few minutes later, someone brought up the empty fridge, which you could say is a good thing. This came in handy so we were able to keep water, soda, milk cold. The bathroom isn't the biggest. The mini room with the toilet had no ventilation so you can figure out the rest. The glass shower box isn't the biggest. The sinks and vanity had nice spacing though. The actual room wasn't that big either. Decent sized. The bed was okay, clean at least. The pillows were flat as pancakes. We were told at the front desk, that each housekeeper had his/her own schedule to fix up the room, but the front desk girl was not even able to tell us which housekeeper or what schedule our room would be on. We had no idea what time housekeeping would come and you have the option to leave a light on at the door, either red for privacy or green for housekeeping. A few times we would leave the room early in the day, for a few hours, with the green light on and come back and no one came. Two times I had to call concierge to ask for more towels or toilet paper. One good thing about this was that they did put in the request and they were done. Each time, we got what we asked for and didn't have to call concierge several times on the same request. The door to the actual room didn't have that security bar that most places have. They had one lock to turn, either locked or unlocked. Supposedly this was the "second" lock, in addition to the one when the door closes. My opinion is the security bar just makes it feel a little more safer. When we arrived at this hotel, it was pretty late at night, so we decided to order room service. We got a margherita pizza and after tax and gratuity-included-tip, it came out to $27. The pizza was just okay, so definitely not worth the price. The room service delivery guy was staring at my wallet as I went to go pay and this annoyed me a little bit. I don't know exactly what this guy could have looked at, but kind of skeevy to look at my wallet as I am taking out money (in my opinion).

Overall our stay wasn't horrible, but it wasn't the best either. It seemed like the other vacationers staying here were more pleasant than the actual staff. The whole parking lot in front of the hotel just brings chaos everyday. There are several decent food options located nearby the hotel, which is good. The pools are pretty nice and relaxing. Epic is not a word I would use to describe this hotel or our stay. Mediocre sounds about right. But who is going to want to stay at a hotel called Mediocre right? LOL

Room Tip: If you want quiet, ask for a room on the higher floors. The higher the better.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
West Palm Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

I live about an hour north of Miami and enjoy a staycation every once in a while at a 5 star hotel in Miami. So far the Viceroy and Setai in Miami are my faves. I heard good things about the Epic but never stayed there until the July 4th weekend. What a mistake. The parking is terrible. They don't have enough parking attendants/parking for guests. Among other things, I got attacked by a drunk and out of control guest at 8 pm after returning from dinner. The valets were clueless. The check in is terrible-I had to wait in line 30 minutes before I could check in. This is supposed to be a 5 star hotel. The only pool is terrible (wall to wall families during the day and loud obnoxious party animals at night). Surprisingly, the hotel has a "run down" feel. I have never complained about a hotel publicly like this (or privately) but I felt like I had no choice. I sent an email directly to the hotel manager a few days after my stay but all I got was a form "Thank you for your concerns, we'll get back to you shortly" response. After a few weeks w/ no follow up response, I sent another email to express my disappointment. This time, no response. Honestly, stay at the Viceroy for the same price or spend the extra money to stay at the Setai. I have no relationship to either hotel but they are truly 5 star quality. The Epic is a 3 star hotel trying to act like a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

I had my FIU Commencement in Miami and wanted a hotel half way to FIU for graduation and South Beach for our dinner reservations. My mother and I stayed on the 26th floor, loved our room! It was clean, and fresh and our beds were turned down when we returned from dinner. Also Mauricio and Michael left us champagne to celebrate...very nice touch! My mother and I had the morning to relax so we shopped (and bought) fun clothes from the spa and then laid at the pools on the 16th floor. The view was 360 with the city and the water. There are 2 pools and a restaurant on the 16th floor. Everyone, from the moment we pulled up to the moment we left ...was kind, attentive, professionally dressed and so polite. My mother and i had a 2 jammed packed days and we so appreciated the service...we didn't have to think about a thing!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

We spent the day at the pool yesterday for my sister in Law's bachelorette Party!!
It was an AMAZING day. Oscar was exceptional!!!! He was very attentive to our needs. His staff was also exceptional. Alexandra was our waitress and I felt like she was actually part of our party. Her recommendations were fantastic. The service we received was absolutely perfect!! Will highly recommend and all the girls had a greaaat day. THANK YOU again to Oscar for making us feel at home :)

• Stayed August 2014
Zachary J, Manager at EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Vaniabp

Thanks for such AMAZING feedback! Between Oscar and Vanessa you really had an exceptional duo! I’m glad that we could be a part of a fun day and provide such personalized service. This is exactly what we strive for each and every time. We can’t wait to have you back again in the future!

Been to EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!