“TERRIBLE customer service for the price of a stay” 2 of 5 stars

Fly South for the Winter
Ranked #5 of 129 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago, Illinois
“TERRIBLE customer service for the price of a stay”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

THANK GOODNESS we only stayed here one night! My girlfriends and I all met up at this hotel for a girls trip in Miami. We were all coming in at different times so the friend who got in first, arranged for me to pick up a room key at the front desk upon my arrival. When I walked into the hotel, there were three people at the front desk and I received NOT ONE greeting. When I finally did get someone's attention (mind you NO ONE was helping anyone else) I provided the room number and they acted as if they had NO IDEA I was coming. The man spoke with at least three different coworkers before FINALLY seeing a note or something on the room and then began to apologize profusely because I was so annoyed that the staff acted as if this arrangement was completely out of character for guests to do. THEN when I went to the bar to await our other friends arrival, ONCE AGAIN, NO GREETING upon me sitting down. At least 3 bar personnel made eye contact with me and no one said a word, NOTHING. I waited for at least 10 minutes before the wonderful, Emory greeted me with a smile and asked what he could get for me to enjoy. He turned out to be VERY attentive and kind and actually acted as though he was working, when everyone else behind the bar acted as if they were patrons of the bar. THEN, the following morning as my friend and I were leaving for a morning run, I asked the girl at the front desk if they had a mail drop box at the hotel. She politely asked if the letter was stamped which it was so she stated she could place it in the out going mail for me. I specifically inquired if it would go out that day (Saturday, Feb 1st ) as it was a rent check and needed to reach IL by the 5th and she confirmed that it would. WHY on earth was my Landlord calling me on the 5th asking about my rent???? I immediately called the hotel and asked if the piece of mail was anywhere to be seen on the front desk and the girl said she saw nothing and ASSURED me that any stamped envelope lying around would DEFINITELY have been placed in the out going mail upon notice. The check finally reached my Landlord on Feb 8th with a postmark of FEB 4TH, WTH PEOPLE??? Why did this important piece of mail NOT get placed in the out going mail until 3 DAYS LATER???? THANKS SO MUCH EPIC STAFF, THIS CAUSED ME TO INCUR A $50 DOLLAR LATE FEE FOR THE MONTH OF MARCH. I have NEVER been more frustrated with the staff and their COMPLETE LACK of customer service. And to think this is a Kimpton hotel, sure didn't feel like it. I will NOT be coming back here.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (527)
Millington, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

This Hotel was off the wall. Everything from service to accommodations were fabulous. The pools an whole area were very Kool! We would stay here again an again. Pricey, but we'll worth it. Epic, truly describes it's name.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

We are from the UK and stayed pre and post cruise from Miami port.

Fantastic, from the moment we were greeted by the porters / bell boys to the welcome and check in by Ashley to the beautiful clean room and excellent facilities. Well done Epic Hotel and thank you.

Highly recommended, we would stay again and also use the Kimpton chain elsewhere in the US.

Room Tip: All rooms are good, depends on your budget.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

I stayed at Epic for my first-ever visit to Miami and I cannot imagine the Miami experience without this hotel - staying here was the highlight of my trip. The staff is so accommodating and sweet, the location is flawless. If you value art, ambiance and hospitality this is the place for you. Don't hesitate to book here, it makes all the difference in the world. Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: The Junior Suite is a dream come true, the views are simply magical. I fear I will never sleep as we...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

This upscale hotel offers everything you would expect from a luxury stay, without the attitude. The vibe is hip, fun, but not pretentious. The staff is amazing, overly accommodating and friendly. Zuma is the signature hip sushi bar and it lives up to the hype. My recommendation, make a reservation, and enjoy amazing food and people watching. Area 31 is on the 16th floor, it offers really great views, outside dining, and exceptional eats. Area 31 also has an outside bar that's fully stocked and ready to serve happy hours.

The rooms are awesome, shower is heavenly, private balcony is an added bonus. No complaints!

Green Features: This hotel was rated highly as a green ladders gold level.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Springfield, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

First trip to Florida - first Miami then Orlando. Luxury and service at it's best. I will definitely return! The staff was wonderful, and so were the rooms and pool. I loved the bathroom. We really wanted to be on South Beach but glad we ended up here.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

This is an excellent choice of hotel and worth leaving Miami Beach for. The rooms are spacious, ergonomic and comfortable and the views decent, especially from the higher floors. Love the bathrooms too. Great internet connection. I travel all over the world staying in 5* hotels and am really quite fussy.

There are two wonderful restaurants that I ate at, Area 31 on the pool level and Zuma on the ground floor. You must make reservations well in advance though...both extremely popular and happening...amazing food.

The front desk, concierge and staff treated me courteously and always showed a willingness to help. They left a very good impression in my mind.

You must be aware though that on weekend nights the driveway gets very busy, which can delay your entry or departure if you are using a car.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Been to EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!