“Great Location and Excellent Service BUT...” 3 of 5 stars

25% Off + FREE Upgrade
Ranked #6 of 130 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersGold level
Boca Raton, Florida
“Great Location and Excellent Service BUT...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

I am writing this review as I am sitting by the pool. I am here for my girlfriend's birthday At her request. I made the reservation about a week ago online Only to find out that the restaurant is closed for renovations. I must say that gene at the concierge desk Is taking very good care of us Rating: the room and providing cabana by the pool. However, I was very surprised to see that condition of the pool needs a lot of work as it does not look very clean and there were many tiles missing. I also noticed a few rips cushions On some of their premium chairs. The DJ is playing nice music But I must say its not your typical Miami crowd which I was hoping for. I was hoping to entertain a couple of friends at the Cabana By ordering some chips, salsa and snacks but they seem to be out of those as well.

Again excellent service! But their management probably needs to be spoken to.

Let's see what happens at the only been here for 2 hours...

• Stayed June 2013
JacquelinePloettner, Manager at EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
DonTomas333
Thank you very much for your review. I am very happy to learn that you enjoyed the service by our concierge Gene, he was thrilled to hear about you mentioning him. Sorry about the restaurant, we are in the process of a complete rejuvenation for the time being, Our awesome pool will get some love from engineering this summer.
Please come back soon and let me know prior, so I can guarantee you an EPIC experience.
EPIC wishes, Jacqueline Ploettner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
Madrid, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

This is a cool, modern hotel. It has a happening rooftop bar, some nice restaurants and very nice, clean, modern rooms. The only downside is that it is a bit cheesy (just a bit, not too much...). But overall, I'd stay here again for sure.

travelfiend_30
Thanks for your nice review. I really like the way you described our hotel as cool, modern with very nice clean rooms.
We can't wait to have you back!
Venice, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

We stayed in mid-June, 2013 on one of the two club floors. This was just great. The club was not crowded and the concierge was very professional and pleasant. They serve a small buffet breakfast, and there are 4 other times of the day they set out snacks of various kinds. The lunch can be fairly substantial and the drinks and food are free from 6-8PM. Cold champagne is available all day. this is as close to the Asian style club offerings as I have seen in Florida. You really don't have to go out to eat unless you want to, and if you do, there are several very good places to eat, such as the Chop House which is just a short block away.

There is a very pleasant bayside walk leading out from the hotel that would let you go all the way to Bayshore Park without going out on the street. The people mover tram is also nearby if it is too hot to walk.

The room was very well appointed and the bed very comfortable, the only shortcoming I noticed is that the lighting in the bathroom is very low and not sufficient for makeup. They should have a lighted makeup mirror in there.

The main hotel lobby is a little odd and feels very cold and uninviting when you first go in. There is seating associated with a Japanese restaurant in the lobby, but it is off to the side and seems somehow separate. The arrival plaza in front of the building is a bit undersized and it can get quite backed up for valet parking if there is some event in the hotel.

The secret to our great stay was clearly the club floor lounge on the 29th floor. Everything there was just perfect and the service was superb. Every single person that worked there during our 3-day stay was very friendly and professional. It is well worth the extra money.

Room Tip: go for the club floors (29 or 30) for the best experience
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Leann H
Thank you so much for your kind review. I am thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed our clubfloor. "Everything was just perfect and the service superb", this is exactly the impression we want our guests to have. Thanks again for sharing.
Please come back soon .
Epinal, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Excellently designed hotel and rooms . Very quiet although in downtown Miami.
Room design was tops - no coffee or tea making equipment which is a pity.
The restaurant has a very limlited menu but out of the hôtel the offer is large.
Zuma is great if you can get a table - book early

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

TopMars88
Thanks for sharing your experience. I am so glad you enjoyed the design of our hotel and the rooms. "Quiet and right in downtown" is a very nice description.
Next time you stay with us, please let me know. I will be happy to provide you with a coffeemaker or a kettle, we do have plenty available.
Please come back soon.
Gulf Breeze
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I have never wrote a review before but felt the need to. I booked this hotel at the last minute for my husband and 15-year-old son. They absolutely loved this hotel. My 15-year-old felt like a rockstar staying on the 28th floor. First high-rise he has ever stayed at. Staff were very accommodating and friendly. Also my son ordered a waffle from room service while my husband was doing business and it was BEST waffle he has ever tasted. Thank you for a 5-star experience.

nicole_imm
Thank you so much for having had the urge to review us. I am so glad you had a 5 star experience and your son felt like a rockstar. We love to pamper our guests and are very thankful for the recognition.
Please come back soon.
Catania, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

The Epic Miami is simply one of the best Hotel i have ever been. It is without doubts the perfect choice for those visiting Miami downtown for both business or leisuring.

Service here is really the Top you can find in town. Staff is always nice and if you're staying in the Exectutive rooms you will enjoy the nice Executive Lounge that offers guests snacks and drinks all day long.

The pool is nice and cute. It is always full of guys laying on the comfort beach sofas and the music is great too.,

My room (executive) was simply perfect: very large, comfortable and big bed, and a wonderfull sight on the city.

Last, but not the the least, one of the restaurant hosted by the Epic is the Zuma, on of the best japanese fusion reastaurant of the world.

Just a final consideration. Epic is the perfect choice if you want to be in the center of the scene in Miami city, but if you are on holiday and want to enjoy sea and the beautifull beach Miami has to offer, downtown is pretty far to Miami Beach: in this case you need to book an hotel in Miami Beach, that is a completely different city with more night life and...unfortunately lower hotel standards!

Room Tip: Executive rooms are the best, located on the upper floors and with access to executive lounge
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
enzomacco
Thanks you so much for your review. I am excited to learn how much you enjoyed our location, our staff, the pool and most of all our club floor.
We can't wait to have you back.
Sacramento
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

From the moment I arrived at the hotel, I noticed the uppity attitude of the front desk. I had just driven 4 hours from Orlando, dressed casually in comfy driving clothes, tired, and anxious to check into my room and rest. But instead, I was forced to wait for 45 minutes until the man and woman (apparently dressed for their appearance the Academy Awards or something) who arrived AFTER me were accommodated and served by both employees at the front desk.

I bit my tongue and went with the flow, until it was my turn to check in. Let me just say that there was a huge, noticeable difference between the way the woman at the front desk treated me vs. the couple dressed in gold lamé with the exotic accent. She didn't even look up from her computer while speaking with me and I SWEAR she looked down her nose at me when she finally did look up.

Anyway, I decided to brush it off and went to my room for a long nap and a bath. Bathroom was very nice, by the way.

The in-room hotel guide stated that coffee would be served in the lobby every morning, but that a one-cup coffee maker could be sent up to the room upon request. So, while I was waiting for valet to retrieve my car, I asked a different staff member at the front desk about the single cup coffee maker, since I like to drink my coffee as I get ready in the morning. She literally looked at me like I was an idiot and told me that I could use the "card on the side table to indicate what I wanted to order from in-room dining, and hang it on the door". Then she turned to the person next to her, smiled smugly, and started talking about something else. Just like that, I was patronized and then dismissed.

I wasn't surprised, given the "warm" greeting I received while checking in, but I WAS puzzled, because this time I was dressed up!

At tvis point, I was beginning to feel like Julia Roberts in "Pretty Woman" and I was ready to throw a wad of cash at someone.

I could go on and on about the snobby attitudes and rude comments that I dealt with (only from the female staff, the make staff - especially the gentleman who worked the valet counter were awesome). Let me just conclude this review by mentioning that 5 star amenities can easily fade into the background when overshadowed by 1 star service from one or two staff members.

At $300+ a night, I expected more from the staff at this hotel. I expected professionalism and friendliness, rather than catty, rude, high-school behavior. Management should invest in some sort of etiquette training classes for these girls. At least then, they'd be able to "fake" being friendly to guests. Especially since the guests are the driving force behind the hotel's reputation and more importantly, staff paychecks.

I will definitely take my business and stay somewhere else during my next extended visit to Miami.
I won't patronize the Epic hotel ever again, thanks to the girls at the front desk.

• Stayed May 2013
JacquelinePloettner, Manager at EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Syrah N
Thank you very much for your review. Sorry about the experience you had with the Front Desk, I will absolutely look into it. We do have plenty of coffeemakers available for our guests so I am sorry once again for the misunderstanding. If you would like to give us another chance, I would love to personally ensure that you will be experiencing the EPIC hospitality we are known for.
EPIC wishes, Jacqueline Ploettner

Been to EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!