“Excellent Service” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago, Illinois
“Excellent Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I was at the Epic on a business trip and the entire staff was freindly and very helpful.
The room and views were fantastic. I had the waterview king and it was very comfortable and had a wonderful soaking tub and great balcony.
The food was good and the amenities were great.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
Anahola, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Great room with superior amenities. Can't understand the negative reviews. We found the staff courteous and accomodating. We were there for a wedding, which was well done in excellent facilities. The food was above average for such an event with well trained servers.

We would stay there again on any future visit to Miami.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
San Antonio, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Epic is located at what I call the end of the nice area of Brickell, so even though they have great views, the neighborhood is really ugly and to make it even worse there is one building and one cinema under construction right next to it, so if you get a room in a lower floor with views towards them, good luck with the noise. The rooms are clean and well maintain they look pretty new, but here comes the worst part is the Service, is AWFUL, concierge does only what you ask (don't go the extra mile like in the intercontinental or JW or Four Seasons) and the three times I approach them they were rude. AND THIS IS IMPORTANT, IF YOU CAN AVOID VALET PARKING DO IT!, it is truly the worse experience, forget about immigration at the airport, or DMV, this is a whole new level, it takes 20 to 30 minutes to get your car, and they won't let you call them in advance so at least you can wait in your room and plan accordingly, you have to go down and wait, and wait, and wait. I understand they have a lot of volume due to the restaurants, but don't matter the time (it can be 7am) they make sure you wait your 20 minutes.

Room Tip: Try to get room in a higher floor away from the construction side.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

This hotel is in downtown Miami, along the Bay. Its about a 15 minute cab ride to South Beach from the hotel. Its a nice place for a work trip, which is why I was there, but I probably wouldn't stay there on a vacation. The meeting rooms were nice and the food served at the hotel was good. I have nothing negative to say about either. However the hotel rooms themselves need to be maintained better. My mini fridge did not work, which I found out in the middle of the night when I found myself parched and in need of a cold refreshing drink. The air conditioning in the room also did not work properly. It was always on the warm side even though I turned it down low. It made for some uncomfortable nights. My doorbell frame also fell off the wall when the doorbell was pressed. This did not just happen to my room but also a fellow colleagues who stayed on the same floor. Another annoyance was that there was no computer in the rooms even though it was advertised on their website that each room had one. They told our group that a contract on them had run out and so they were taken out of the rooms. It would have been nice to know this prior to my stay. All in all it was not a terrible stay by any means but I think they really need to manage the maintenance a bit better.

Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

As someone who travels 180+ nights a year this hotel's mismanagement and mean spirited staff are simply shocking.

First, I arrive the hotel shortly before 3pm and the driveway is impassable. To add insult to injury the valets who are retrieving cars cut me off not once, not twice but three times so I cannot advance up the drive. Real classy. Nobody evens blinks at me or offers to help me with bags when I exit my car and while I carry my 3 bags into the hotel. All I had was a valet ticket stuffed in my hand and gruff man tell me in poor English the overnight parking charge is misprinted on the ticket and actually costs $37. Oh the grace...

Second, they inform me they have no rooms ready but some guests get a room as I step away and watch. After 45 minutes and my checking back a few times the issue is resolved.

Departure day I call the valet, retrieving my car was painfully slow to start. The familiar story plays out. Nobody evens blinks at me to offer to help with bags, fine that is now expected. The driveway is jammed that is expected to. THEN ALL HELL BREAKS OUT. The valet retrieving my car cannot open the trunk so he stands and watches me do it. Another colleague then stands next to me as I begin to load my bags, why HELP? Then, the original valet asks if I speak Spanish. I say no. He runs away as he speaks no English. Another colleague then returns with yet a third colleague asking me to go back to the cashier. I say that I have paid and checked out (my Florida resident rate includes parking). He then starts yelling at me accusing me of not paying and will not release my car. I show him my hotel bill. Not satisfied he accosts me further like I am some common thug. I tell him the hotel wasted 45 minutes of my time yesterday, not to mentioned just trying to park. I tell him to get me a manager. The so called manager an unimaginably aggressive and rude person further accosts me and demands I show him the bill I just presented. I tell him I have had enough as 3 valets accost me like I am a deviant thug. I had just paid the prevailing rate that includes parking and they treat me like I am a criminal miscreant. Furthermore, I spent over $700 at Zuma Restaurant on site the night before.

Finally, after detaining me, my car is released and he promises to bill me. Really, I paid the rate!!!

I have never seen such a low class thug minded outfit in my life, in 12+ years of heavy travel and 1000+ hotel stays.

The staff are poorly trained and want not more than to scalp the guests while providing non-existent service. I will add to the rooms have limited soundproofing and I heard all manner noise all night long.

FYI valet also try to upsell nice cars for parking on the parking deck, for an extra $40

This is hotel is an epic failure while utterly hostile with guests, so STAY FAR AWAY. There is a new Marriott across the street, the Conrad, Four Seasons, Viceroy and Mandarin Oriental are all near and all 1000% better.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
JacquelinePloettner, Manager at EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
FlyOneWorld
Thanks for sharing your experience. Sorry about the experience you had with our busy valet and the miscommunication with the Front Desk in regards to the included parking. I will personally look into the issue thanks to your valued comments.
We hope you will give us another chance to demonstrate what EPIC is truly about.
Jacqueline Ploettner
Drogheda
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Stayed 2 nights here in April. Despite the fact we have prepaid for the room it took us over 40 minutes to check in.The hotel does not accept debit cards for some reason. Found the staff at reception incompetent and very unhelpful. Also the walls in the rooms are quite thin so you can hear the adjoining rooms.

Room Tip: Stay in the Marriott!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Iceman200600
Thanks for sharing your experience. We take honest comments form guests like you very seriously.
We always try our very best to have the room ready upon arrival, so sorry that we were not able to deliver this time. If you would give us the opportunity to come back, I will be happy to guarantee you a smooth check and a quiet room.
EPIC wishes, Jacqueline Ploettner
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel in March and I must say, the experience was fantastic. Unlike many other hotels in the US, this is a new property and the difference really shows. Must also commend the staff for excellent service from the concierge to the servers in the restaurant. Good location, easy to reach the beach with a short taxi ride, all in all a great hotel

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Shubhang_23
Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I am very happy to learn that you enjoyed our staff and our great downtown location close to South Beach.
Please come back soon. EPIC wishes .
Jacqueline Ploettner

Been to EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!