“Great Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 129 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersGold level
“Great Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I'm a regular. It is big. It is busy. But when you approach the front desk you will be greeted by caring, professional people such as Aubrey. I first encountered Aubrey when I had an issue with my room. She addressed my concern, she notated it, and I've never had to worry again. This attention to detail and attention to my needs will keep bringing me back. Thank you Aubrey and thank you EPIC.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
JacquelinePloettner, Manager at EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
RWandPW
Thanks so much for sharing and for recognizing our highly motivated Front Desk agent Aubrey. It's the genuine care and attention to detail that you appreciated and you made her very proud. Our employees are what we are all about and we always strive to make them and our guests happy.
Please come back soon. EPIC wishes.
Jacqueline Ploettner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (498)
Sarasota, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Due to it's location, we were forced to pass and do a u-turn to be able to get to it. Valet area was severely congested but they were nice. Upon entering, you are met with the smell of flowers, beautiful decor, and friendly staff. We were kindly told about the onsite restaurants if we were hungry after our travels as it was 9pm. We were on the 20th floor. We walked in the room and it had some pleasing details like sliding doors, rain shower head, pretty bowl sinks. We were thrilled there was a small terrace with small table and chairs. You could however hear the music from the Area 31 outdoor bar area which was techno beat. It disrupted the enjoyment of being outside. We would have liked to have gotten a drink out of the mini bar but it takes a key, which we were not given. We took the lid off the ice bucket to discover old dried food on the inside of it. Thank goodness they leave a plastic bag to line it and I just did not put the lid on since it was gross. We were hungry and went to Area 31 where we were asked if we were there to eat. We said yes and were told the dining was closed but could sit in the indoor or outdoor bar aread and be helped for drinks and appetizers. We sat for around 40 minutes waiting and were never waited on. We also noticed the others around us were never waited on. One couple gave up and went to the bartender inside to get a drink. We gave up and left. We then tried the other restaurant Zuma where we were denied admittance due to a dress code. FYI You might train your staff to inform people of this so called dress code so they arrive dressed for it or avoid it all together. We chose to avoid it all together and gave our money to the Chophouse across the street along with the big tip to the nice server there. I give the Chophouse two thumbs up from the hospitality who didn't mind my expensive destroyed jeans and expensive brand of low heeled sandals or my husbands Polo jeans. Zuma didn't seem to think this attire was good enough for their establishment. Try the Chophouse, their sushi and surf & turf was great as were there drinks. They saved the evening for us. The beds at Epic are some of the most uncomfortable I have ever slept on. Add in the noise from airplanes, road noise, etc and I did not sleep well. We did order room service breakfast and it arrived in the time slot they said and was good. We left to enjoy the day. We arrived back and once again had to pass it due to the congestion of traffic at it. We made a second attempt and still could not pull into the driveway due to all the congestion of the valet area, taxis and a bus blocking the area. We had cars honking because we were stopped behind all this waiting to pull in the driveway. The valets are always nice though, props to them. As we enter in the hotel, we hear the loudest techno music. We discover an event is being hosted in the pool area on the 16th floor. We are tired from our full day and went back to the hotel to relax. We decided to skip trying to go to either restaurant and decided to order room service. Don't try the numbers provided on the phone as they are all wrong. We finally get the number from calling the valet number provided on our ticket. Our room service food was great but we would have liked to have enjoyed it from terrace but the music was so loud that you absolutely could not eat out there. It was extremely loud in our room with the sliders closed as it was. What is the point of a terrace if you can not enjoy it?! NONE!!! The music was so loud that with the doors closed, the curtains pulled, we could not hear the tv and it was vibrating the walls of our room. It was techno dub step beat or whatever you call it. If we could not hear ourselves in a conversation, I can't even believe how loud it was for the people at the event or for the ones even closer to the pool area. If you are thinking we are just old people who do not enjoy music, you are wrong to both. It was just this extremely loud beat over and over and over. At 9:30 we called to ask when the unbelievably loud music would stop and were told 11:00PM!!!! It was a THURSDAY. Thank goodness not there on a business trip! Feel sorry for the tired souls who needed to think and work or those who wanted to sleep, like us. At 11:15 after getting even louder in it's last hour...the horrid loud techno beat stopped. Is this a hotel or a nightclub?! I would NEVER stay there again.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel unless you are into loud obnoxious music and obnoxious door men at their rest...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
PJ J
Thank you very much for your honest feedback. I am so sorry you experienced some challenges with us throughout your stay. We did host a one time DJ event on our pooldeck on the 16th floor and feel bad that you were bothered by it. We take critique very seriously and are currently looking into all issues you had brought up to ensure they will not happen again.
Please come back soon and contact me prior to your visit. I trust you will have a much better time with us next time. EPIC wishes.
Orange Beach, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Starting with the staff, this is one of the finest hotels we have ever stayed in. The location is right on the Miami River, with views of the river and Biscayne Bay, as well as downtown. The hotel itself is modern, clean, and with fantastic guest rooms and every amenity. The hotel the accommodated us on very late notice and saved us from a very unpleasant night's stay at another downtown hotel. From front door staff to room service and cleaning staff, these people are superbly trained and obviously friendly by nature. We spend an average of 75 nights a year in hotels and rate the Epic on top and the best. Do yourself a favor and visit the pool on the 16th floor. The view is incredible.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
john l
Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I love to hear your comments about our hotel being modern, clean with fantastic guestrooms. However I am truly enthoused about your notations in regards to our staff members "superbly trained and obviously friendly by nature". EPIC is about genuine care, true friendliness is what we are looking for as we believe it should never be fake.
Please come back soon, in the meantime I promiss you we will continue to take care of our staff members and needless to say our guests. EPIC wishes
Sarasota, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed two nights on a short vacation. Arrived late and check in was quick. Outrageous valet of $37 per day. Tried to go to the casual pool bar and sat for half an hour without being waited on, as did everyone around us. Went to the 1st floor Zuma and was told by a snotty door blocker that the dress code didn't allow sandals. Left the hotel for cocktails. Next evening arrived at the room being blasted by techno DJ Music until well past 11:00.

Hotel in room entertainment system was down, phone numbers on phone are incorrect, ice bucket had greasy fingerprints all over the lid.

This is a very nice hotel being run by amateurs after the night club crowd, not the sophisticated traveler.

• Stayed March 2013
JacquelinePloettner, Manager at EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
wearydiner
Thanks for sharing your honest feedback. So sorry you felt bothered by our one time pool DJ event on the 16th floor. I have already adressed all other inconveniences you had experienced with our department heads concerned.
If you would be willing to give us another chance, i will be happy to personally ensure that your next experience will be a true EPIC one, not shy of what we are known for.
EPIC wishes.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

I chose the Epic hotel as the last of 3 hotels during our Miami/Keys vacation. Motivated by great reviews, location, and pictures of the hotel, I was confident in my choice.
However, I was disappointed from the first minute of our stay.
The confusing traffic, construction, and signage led to my driving past the hotel twice before seeing it.
When we pulled into the very crowded driveway it took several minutes before a valet bothered to ask if we were checking in. Maybe because I had rented a practical compact car?
When we finally made it thru the crowd to the registration area, at 4:30 pm, we were told that housekeeping was backed up. Late checkouts, boat show week, etc. I'm a Kimpton Hotel member and have never seen such confusion at one of their hotels. We went to the 16th floor bar for a drink. Had two. The desk never called.
Went back to check in. King room/water view/high floor still not ready & we had dinner plans and friends waiting. Settled for a lower floor.
Got to room bout 5:45 pm. Carpet needed vacuuming, toilet filthy, bathroom floor soiled. Had to run to dinner. Walked due to horrible congestion in valet area. Wedding party arriving.
Never did get room cleaned properly. Stayed two nights.
Will never go back to the Epic. Don't recommend if u want service, cleanliness, or a welcoming attitude. And watch your final bill. I was charged for the high floor we didn't get and honor bar food we didn't eat..

• Stayed February 2013
wearydiner
Thanks for sharing your experience and your honest feedback in regards to your stay with us.
I am very sorry to learn that you experienced some challenges in regards to Houskeeping and Valet. We are taking critique very seriously and are looking into the challenges you have encountered,
If we could convince you to give us another try, please contact me directly as I would love to demonstrate to you what true EPIC hospitality is all about.
EPIC wishes,
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

From the moment I stepped on this property, I knew I had chosen the right place to stay for my 24th Birthday. Not only was the property absolutely beautiful, but the employees were incredibly friendly and went over and beyond to make sure my stay was enjoyable. I arrived at the time of check-in to find that I had been upgraded from an entry level room to a one bedroom suite for my two night stay with a water view. The view was breathtaking. There was more than enough space to accommodate my 3 friends & I. The beds were extremely comfortable, and the two balconies were just icing on the cake. The tub was my favorite place with spectacular Jacuzzi like features, and the amenities were just as impressive. All in all I love this hotel and wouldn't stay anywhere else in Miami. I travel here 3 times a year and I can say that The Epic will be my home away from home for now on!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Querida89
Thanks for sharing your feedback. We love to hear our guests say that EPIC will now be their new home in Miami away from home.
We look forward to you coming back and will be ready for you.
EPIC wishes
Camas, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Based on the high ratings and pictures my husband and I were very excited to stay at this hotel. We normally stay on the beach, but were looking forward to exploring the downtown area. We were allowed to check into our room on the 20th floor early (12:30pm) which is always nice, and on first impression of the room was beautiful. Although we were somewhat disappointed that in a premier water view room we could only see the water from the balcony.

We spent the afternoon at the pool, which because it was Saturday was very crowded. It seems that the building has condominium units and the residents have access to the pool also. We had lunch at area 31 which was expensive and the food/service were both mediocre. Returning to our room later that evening was when the biggest problems occurred. We realized that there was something wrong with the piping. When we turned our water on full force we would hear a terrible, very loud, high pitched sound. We realized pretty quickly how to alleviate this problem by turning down the flow, the real problem was that the rooms around us had this same issue. We could hear the very loud, high pitched screaming from their pipes. This noise occurred numerous times throughout the evening. We could also hear traffic and music from area 31 (which becomes an indoor/outdoor party venue) late into the evening through our closed balcony door. That combined with the fact the bed was a good 2 inches lower on one side than the other led to a pretty poor nights sleep.

We did not choose to contact management regarding our issues as we were only staying 1 night, and we didn't want to deal with the hassle of moving rooms. One bright side was the valets. They not only are dressed incredibly stylishly, but hustle like crazy to sort out the mess that is the arrivals/departures circle. Overall we were a little disappointed. I am guessing from the high ratings and reviews from others that ours was not the normal experience. It was however disappointing enough that we probably will not be returning.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a water view from inside the room, These rooms should not be above Area 31 (the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Judy015
Thank you so much for your feedback and sharing. I am very happy to learn you enjoyed our Pool, the early check in and our rooms. Sorry about the experience with the noise you experienced, please rest assured our highly motivated engineering team is already on it.
If you would be willing to come back and to experience flawless EPIC service, please feel free to contact me directly.
EPIC wishes,
Jacqueline Ploettner

Been to EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!