“Boom boom boom. Better love never ending techno beat” 2 of 5 stars

25% Off + FREE Upgrade
Ranked #5 of 130 hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersGold level
Sarasota, FL
“Boom boom boom. Better love never ending techno beat”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed two nights on a short vacation. Arrived late and check in was quick. Outrageous valet of $37 per day. Tried to go to the casual pool bar and sat for half an hour without being waited on, as did everyone around us. Went to the 1st floor Zuma and was told by a snotty door blocker that the dress code didn't allow sandals. Left the hotel for cocktails. Next evening arrived at the room being blasted by techno DJ Music until well past 11:00.

Hotel in room entertainment system was down, phone numbers on phone are incorrect, ice bucket had greasy fingerprints all over the lid.

This is a very nice hotel being run by amateurs after the night club crowd, not the sophisticated traveler.

• Stayed March 2013
JacquelinePloettner, Manager at EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
wearydiner
Thanks for sharing your honest feedback. So sorry you felt bothered by our one time pool DJ event on the 16th floor. I have already adressed all other inconveniences you had experienced with our department heads concerned.
If you would be willing to give us another chance, i will be happy to personally ensure that your next experience will be a true EPIC one, not shy of what we are known for.
EPIC wishes.

1,927 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (474)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

I chose the Epic hotel as the last of 3 hotels during our Miami/Keys vacation. Motivated by great reviews, location, and pictures of the hotel, I was confident in my choice.
However, I was disappointed from the first minute of our stay.
The confusing traffic, construction, and signage led to my driving past the hotel twice before seeing it.
When we pulled into the very crowded driveway it took several minutes before a valet bothered to ask if we were checking in. Maybe because I had rented a practical compact car?
When we finally made it thru the crowd to the registration area, at 4:30 pm, we were told that housekeeping was backed up. Late checkouts, boat show week, etc. I'm a Kimpton Hotel member and have never seen such confusion at one of their hotels. We went to the 16th floor bar for a drink. Had two. The desk never called.
Went back to check in. King room/water view/high floor still not ready & we had dinner plans and friends waiting. Settled for a lower floor.
Got to room bout 5:45 pm. Carpet needed vacuuming, toilet filthy, bathroom floor soiled. Had to run to dinner. Walked due to horrible congestion in valet area. Wedding party arriving.
Never did get room cleaned properly. Stayed two nights.
Will never go back to the Epic. Don't recommend if u want service, cleanliness, or a welcoming attitude. And watch your final bill. I was charged for the high floor we didn't get and honor bar food we didn't eat..

• Stayed February 2013
wearydiner
Thanks for sharing your experience and your honest feedback in regards to your stay with us.
I am very sorry to learn that you experienced some challenges in regards to Houskeeping and Valet. We are taking critique very seriously and are looking into the challenges you have encountered,
If we could convince you to give us another try, please contact me directly as I would love to demonstrate to you what true EPIC hospitality is all about.
EPIC wishes,
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

From the moment I stepped on this property, I knew I had chosen the right place to stay for my 24th Birthday. Not only was the property absolutely beautiful, but the employees were incredibly friendly and went over and beyond to make sure my stay was enjoyable. I arrived at the time of check-in to find that I had been upgraded from an entry level room to a one bedroom suite for my two night stay with a water view. The view was breathtaking. There was more than enough space to accommodate my 3 friends & I. The beds were extremely comfortable, and the two balconies were just icing on the cake. The tub was my favorite place with spectacular Jacuzzi like features, and the amenities were just as impressive. All in all I love this hotel and wouldn't stay anywhere else in Miami. I travel here 3 times a year and I can say that The Epic will be my home away from home for now on!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Querida89
Thanks for sharing your feedback. We love to hear our guests say that EPIC will now be their new home in Miami away from home.
We look forward to you coming back and will be ready for you.
EPIC wishes
Camas, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Based on the high ratings and pictures my husband and I were very excited to stay at this hotel. We normally stay on the beach, but were looking forward to exploring the downtown area. We were allowed to check into our room on the 20th floor early (12:30pm) which is always nice, and on first impression of the room was beautiful. Although we were somewhat disappointed that in a premier water view room we could only see the water from the balcony.

We spent the afternoon at the pool, which because it was Saturday was very crowded. It seems that the building has condominium units and the residents have access to the pool also. We had lunch at area 31 which was expensive and the food/service were both mediocre. Returning to our room later that evening was when the biggest problems occurred. We realized that there was something wrong with the piping. When we turned our water on full force we would hear a terrible, very loud, high pitched sound. We realized pretty quickly how to alleviate this problem by turning down the flow, the real problem was that the rooms around us had this same issue. We could hear the very loud, high pitched screaming from their pipes. This noise occurred numerous times throughout the evening. We could also hear traffic and music from area 31 (which becomes an indoor/outdoor party venue) late into the evening through our closed balcony door. That combined with the fact the bed was a good 2 inches lower on one side than the other led to a pretty poor nights sleep.

We did not choose to contact management regarding our issues as we were only staying 1 night, and we didn't want to deal with the hassle of moving rooms. One bright side was the valets. They not only are dressed incredibly stylishly, but hustle like crazy to sort out the mess that is the arrivals/departures circle. Overall we were a little disappointed. I am guessing from the high ratings and reviews from others that ours was not the normal experience. It was however disappointing enough that we probably will not be returning.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a water view from inside the room, These rooms should not be above Area 31 (the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Judy015
Thank you so much for your feedback and sharing. I am very happy to learn you enjoyed our Pool, the early check in and our rooms. Sorry about the experience with the noise you experienced, please rest assured our highly motivated engineering team is already on it.
If you would be willing to come back and to experience flawless EPIC service, please feel free to contact me directly.
EPIC wishes,
Jersey City, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

We just came back from a trip to Key West but we spent one night in Miami. We typically stay in South Beach but this time decided to check out what all the hype is about downtown and I must say that we were super impressed! This hotel is gorgeous with balconies overlooking the inter coastal. The rooms are spacious and the bathrooms are fantastic. The hotel also has great amenities including Exhale Spa downstairs where we took a yoga class that was absolutely amazing. This is my new place to stay when visiting Miami!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
TheSupers
We are thrilled about you sharing your feedback and having chosen us as your new destination to stay in Miami. Our views overlooking the inner coastal are truly amazing and we are happy you got to enjoy them.
We look forward to having you back in your new home away from home.
EPIC wishes
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

The mother of all reviews… I basically lived at the EPIC for 3 months while on a temporary assignment in Miami. In a nutshell, EPIC hotel is pretty awesome and a great value for what you get. Yes, it’s somewhat more expensive than the Motel 6, but at the same time, the amenities more than make up for it. They have specials and you can get a room for as little as $199 a night. My company had a discount, so I paid a bit less than that… just keep in mind you pay $36 for overnight parking.

***THE BEST***
Customer Service... The folks at the front desk are amazing. Christian (he’s probably moved to L.A. already), Mari, and Matt went out of their way to accommodate me. Always smiling & always helpful. The bellman are fabulous too! Malik was my favorite… And they let you store your bags for no extra charge if you need. That was HUGE for me, because they kept everything for me while I attended out-of-town meetings. Plus, they let you bring animals, for FREE! Tip: Avoid checking in & out at the main times (long lines). They’re really nice about late check-outs… Ask and you shall receive.

The décor… and ambiance… the place is REALLY NICE. It looks like the pictures. And it’s the “see-and-be-seen” place to be.

The pool area is to die for… The one on the right (as you come outside) is the heated one. All types of lounging chairs, beds, cocoons… pool service is amazing! They have drink specials too.

Happy hour!!!! Let’s talk value again… $5 drinks in Miami… with a priceless view of downtown Miami and the bay… Miami Beach in the distance… It is a VERY happening place. They also have a DJ on Thurs and Fri nights. I think the happy hour is 5-7pm weeknights, but 5-10pm on Thurs & Fri. When I was there they were doing a martini Wed with art show. OH…. And the hotel does a FREE wine hour from 5pm-6pm. Tip: Take 2 glasses so you don’t have to go back down.

Inner Circle Membership… On one hand, I was upgraded a TON and the staff went out of their way to be accommodating. On the other, I wasn’t told everything that was available upfront. I learned as I spent time there… I never met the CEO or had the complimentary meal at the restaurant. Overall, it’s a great thing to have, just wish I knew the details from the beginning. Tip: If you have an extended stay, check-in-and-check-out as much as possible so you maximize the number of nights you earn and get to Inner Circle status faster. And another tip: if you ARE an inner circle member, they will extend your stay at the same price as the original nights…This is helpful when the prices jump.

Gym… It’s pretty respectable for a hotel gym… but the BEST PART OF ALL is the classes you can take at Exhale. I never visited the spa, but they have the most amazing Core Fusion classes. Think pilates meets barre. I am an exercise fanatic, and I swear by the barre classes, particularly with Julie Wiesman. She’s awesome. I wear a heart-rate monitor and in 1 hour of barre, I burn the same amount of calories as I do with push-ups and burpees and intense exercise. Yet, barre is not jarring… Your legs will be shaking, but you’ll develop muscles you never knew you had! Tip: If you’re doing more than 2 classes ($25 each), get the “Week of Transformation” pass for $30 and get unlimited classes for 7 days.

Zuma… one of the best restaurants in Miami. Sweet & Spicy beef melts in your mouth. (to my disappointment it’s not spicy at all, but still one of the most delicious items) Sushi is fresh. Be prepared to wait for a table though! Oh, and not for the budget-conscious. The steak I mention is $34 or so… and that’s just the meat… and the portion isn’t super-size either. It’s worth it, but be prepared. Their cocktails are out-of-this-world. They also have AMAZING virgin cocktails for the kids and those that don’t want to drink… Tip: eat at the bar if you don’t have all night.

***HIT OR MISS***
Area 31… Seafood restaurant… You get discounts if you’re a member of Exhale or for your company, so make sure to ask! The best is the grouper… so delicious with a medley of seafood accompaniment. Best value is the steak… I eat a lot and I couldn’t even finish it. The ceviche is the best I’ve EVER had… and I lived in Spain! What makes it different is the citrus… Instead of lemon/lime marinade (so typical), they use orange or grapefruit which makes it softer and sweeter. Lobster stew was good, but it brings up my pet peeve: they put diced carrots and peas in EVERYTHING. Seriously. Think school cafeteria. The food’s good, but then someone adds the damn peas and carrots when it doesn’t even make sense. I ate there 20 – 30 times, so trust me. It’s weird. I’ve had to return a couple things… undercooked mahi-mahi… gamey “dirty rice…” The customer service was dicey too… the bartenders Johnny and Orieta were great; Gene, the manager was friendly and funny; but the waiters were slow and spacey… I recommend eating at the bar because you get better service. P.S. Try the dirt pie. It’s awesome.

Rooms… Overall, the most comfortable, clean, beds… however, I had some issues. The building is new, but things are already starting to break. I had doors that didn’t close or were really loud… shower issues… random noises from faucets… broken mini-fridge… broken telephone… AC issues… Those things happen and I swapped rooms in order to get upgrades and whatnot. On the other hand… the views are SPECTACULAR. The ocean view is great, but so is the city view. I actually LIKE the city view because Miami is so lovely. I really enjoyed my time in the ‘01 rooms. Great views, spacious, and the tubs are AMAZING! The bubbles come from the bottom, which is unusual.

Room Service… I didn’t get room service all the time, but I’d say it could use improvement. The food was GREAT, but the wait was an hour+ in most cases… For a burger? And sometimes our calls would go unanswered.

Location… It’s not at South Beach. South Beach is a ten-minute drive… I actually think it’s a good thing, but depending on what you’re looking for… Location is PERFECT for downtown. You’ll spend double to be on the beach, just FYI. Taxi is about $25 from the airport to the hotel and $20 to the beach, depending on where you go. Tip: Ask if they take credit card because many are lazy and swear they don’t… but they do. Central Cabs definitely take credit card.

Kyma… Over-rated in my opinion. It’s a very nice ambiance, but nobody really goes there and they charge to get in… Sometimes. And it’s FREEZING in there because it’s often empty.

Elevators on Saturday nights... disgusting. They need to hire someone specifically from 9pm-3am to monitor the elevators and prevent drunk people from throwing stuff all over the place. The hotel is a happening place, so I understand, but c'mon! Elevators get gross. Oh, and the key is forever annoying... If you accidently place it by the cell phone, it deactivates... Tip: If someone else has a key and you're still rummaging for yours, just press your floor after they've entered theirs... and as long as you're not on 29 or 30, that gives you time to find it.

***FAIL***
Parking… Bless his heart, Wilson, the manager tries SOOOO hard to get it together. I found it ludicrous nothing official was done for the 3 months I was staying at EPIC. I was expected to pay $36 a night, for the overnight parking. There are all types of prices for parking. $36 for hotel guests. $18 for restaurant/pool/visit/etc… ($13 with validation)… $5 if you go to Exhale and get validation… Anyway, the point is… Wilson helped me out when I was able to find him, but if he WASN’T around, I had to argue with everybody and explain the situation… x 3 months. I ended up renting a car only on weekends, but that was sorta inconvenient, but saved tons of money on parking. Also, I have no idea why… but no matter the time of day, I waited a LONG time for my car. Even when I was the only one there… Expect 20 minutes. Tip: If you’re a hotel guest, call down way ahead of time.

Obnoxious a-holes… Since it’s the place to be, it can attract all kinds… Kim Kardashian anybody? Anyway, in 3 months someone set off the fire alarm at 3am twice. I don’t know if that’s good or bad statistically speaking, but the only thing that infuriates me is messing with my sleep.

Patio Furniture… yes, this gets its own category because it messes with my sleep. I was up until 4am one night because someone above me kept moving their patio furniture around all night… I called maintenance (“engineering”) and they couldn’t identify the problem. Dragging metal furniture on tile makes noise. Pray you have quiet neighbors upstairs! Oh, and the patios are filthy… like black soot… because nobody ever cleans them. Tip: If you plan to hang out on the patio at any point (recommended), request cleaning/mopping.

***OVERALL***
Like I said, it’s a GREAT value… You’ll be staying at one of the hottest hotels in Miami. It’s not on the beach, but it’s in Downtown, on the river… close to Brickell and all that fancy-pants stuff. It was my home-away-from-home… I love the place, even though I was super-critical. Half of people’s experiences are chance… Sometimes everything goes perfectly and other times not at all. Compared to all of the other hotels in the area, EPIC IS THE BEST. Feel free to contact me if you want more info, although I think I've said plenty!

Room Tip: Water's technically "better" but the city views are nice too! I prefer higher rooms...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
maryann617
Thank you so much for your extended feedback and for having been a loyal "longstayer" with us. We are truly thrilled that you had a great time with us and got to know some of our amazing Front Desk agents such as Christian, Mari and Matt.
We can't wait to have you back for your next stay! I promise you that we will be meeting!
EPIC wishes.
chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Just returned from a 4 night stay at the EPIC. I usually love Kimpton Hotels: attention to detail, high level of guest attention/service, quirky and fun. Unfortunately this spot had a much more generic, big hotel feel. We usually stay in Miami Beach but decided to give the city a try this year largely due to our previous positive experiences at Kimpton Hotels. Unfortunately this hotel caters to big groups: corporate, wedding parties. It is not a good choice for the average leisure/vacation traveler. We stayed in room 2602 which had a nice water view and a balcony. The room is a nice size with a fantastic bathroom (deep tub, ETRO products, two sinks). The balcony was a good size as well, furnished with two chairs and a small table. The chair and table on the balcony both appeared to have some mildew/staining problems that should have been obvious to the housekeeping staff. The website mentions the cocktail hour and the signature mojito cocktail. Instead we were served bad wine (red or white) that was not worth a trip to the lobby. One of the days we returned to our room at 4:30P after being out all day to find the room had not been cleaned/serviced. Lukewarm coffee service in the lobby. $37 overnight parking fee. Chipped/missing tiles around the pools. Room service trays and dropped food in the hallway for far too long. Final complaint: the incredibly loud club music by the pool on Saturday was unreal. There was no way to escape the volume of this unfortunate music choice except to leave the pool. Overall, if you are in Miami for business and are working all day, this is probably an okay enough hotel. If you are traveling for fun or leisure, skip it.

Room Tip: The water view is not worth extra money, and it may be better to face away from the pool if you pref...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!