“Good choice in downtown Miami” 4 of 5 stars

Fly South for the Winter
Ranked #5 of 129 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersGold level
Calgary, Canada
“Good choice in downtown Miami”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

We were very happy with the Epic. We'd planned on staying in South Beach but the appalling prices and tiny rooms put us off. We got a good price at Epic and will certainly stay there again. Our room was on the 23 rd floor overlooking the river - really stunning view from a larger than usual balcony. It was well kept, sufficiently roomy. Only drawback was that TV noise from the room next door penetrated right through the adjoining door. Next time, I'll ask for a room without the adjoining door. Staff were uniformly good - Jean, one of the bellmen, really stood out for his sincere helpfulness. Pool area is nice - not huge but well designed. It's on the 16th floor with more beautiful views,of the river and city.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms with an adjoining door to next room - noisy.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
JacquelinePloettner, Manager at EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
KatKin62
Thanks much for your honest feedback. I am so glad you were happy with the EPIC, I have immediately passed on your positive feedback to our bellman Jean and he was thrilled having been recognized. Our views are truly amazing and I am pleased you came to the same conclusion.
Please come back soon and let me know prior so I can assist you getting a room which meets your preferences. EPIC wishes
Jacqueline Ploettner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
Windsor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

This is one of the best hotels we have ever had the pleasure to stay in. The EPIC in downtown Miami offers incredible service in a luxurious setting. It’s situated amongst the funky high rises of downtown, on the waterfront (and hence with beautiful with sea views), a close walk from Bayside Market Place and only 10 minutes away in a taxi from South Beach so we really did feel like we were getting the best of all holiday worlds.

The hotel itself is very modern - it’s super clean - and has great offerings including Area 31 restaurant and bar where we went on our first night (modern food, beautifully presented and beautifully tasting), wine hour every evening in the lobby (red or white wine served with an aperitif – you can’t beat it!), the pool (comfortable loungers, plenty of towels, water served to you throughout the day and of course if you fancied it (as we did!) cocktails and bar snacks too from the poolside menu)), a well-equipped gym and opportunity to join in some brilliant gym classes (with a discount of 10 dollars off your first class – a discount is also offered to a spa treatment we think but we didn’t take this up), the trendy Zuma restaurant (where we went for the Sunday brunch – unlimited champagne and amazing food for a fixed price per person) and a friendly concierge who gave some great advice about restaurants and things to do in the local area (we went to a superb Italian called Toscana Divino just a few minutes walk away in Mary Brickell Village) as well as in the rest of the city - we also went on the boat trip to see all the million-dollar homes on private islands at a discounted rate by way of a token provided by the concierge and Stone Joe Crab which was really good fun.

Above all of these wonderful things offered by the EPIC what made it stand out above all else to us was the fantastic service – the balance struck between friendliness, professionalism and efficiency was the best we have ever experienced. We can’t quite imagine how anyone would ever stay at this hotel and not think it to be amazing!!!

Room Tip: We stayed on 26th floor, great views.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Emma M
Thanks so much for your awesome review. Being considered one of the best hotels you have stayed in makes us all very proud. We are all about our employees and take great pride in them. EPIC is about genuine care and service, hence your statement "the balance struck between friendliness, professionalism and efficiency was the best we have ever experienced" is a true very much appreciated compliment.
Boston, MAssachusetts, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Absolute perfection. I am sitting in my water view room, overlooking a large balcony, after having been coddled from the time I stepped out of my car, walked through the doors being held open for me, whisked through registration and was delivered to my room. Things couldn't have gone more smoothly and the staff could not have been more attentive. The room is very well appointed, and the bath facilities unmatched. I read a few reviews about being able to hear the restaurant activity, as well as inattentive staff. I could not disagree more. I hope you're all lucky enough to be a guest.

Room Tip: I have not seen the city view, but the water view from the 25th is a stunner.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
LanghamLover
Thanks for sharing the great experience you had with us. I love to hear that you enjoyed our staff and the view from our great balconies. The final comment you made " I hope you're all lucky enough to be a guest." has already been shared with my entire team!
Please visit us again soon. EPIC wishes
Alexandria, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

After a Caribbean cruise we spent 4 nights at Epic. We got a free upgrade to the 28th floor overlooking the water because of a birthday celebration. ASK for Room 2803, for a great view. The balcony was about 20 ft. wide and 8 feet in depth. The room was spacious, well appointed, clean and quiet. A few pictures will follow. We loved having dinner at night through room service on the balcony. You look out on yachts, beautiful water and a part of Miami that many people may not see. Breakfast in the morning in the hotel restaurant (called 31) was fine. The service is a little slow. You can get a cold plate buffet or hotel dishes. We did combinations. You can sit out on the deck which is nice.
The swimming pool is gorgeous and overlooks the same view we had from the 28th floor. The gym is not huge but has many of the parts you need for a good machine and weight workout.

Epic has a free wine tasting hour from 5 to 6 pm and complimentary coffee in the lobby in a.m.
The lobby is gorgeous in its own right.

Now for the vicinity. Ask the desk how to get to Brickel Key. It is about a10-15 minute walk. Walk all around it for great views. But when you first get to the Key look at the huge bush/tree on the left (at end of the Bridge). We saw up to 20 iguanas in the tree. See the pictures.

Epic is one of the finest places we have ever stayed in. We travel often so our baseline is large for comparisons.

VAChuck
Thanks so much for sharing. I am happy you have chosen us a getaway hotel to your cruise.Our views from all balconies are truly amazing. EPIC"s complimentary wine hour is a unique event provided by all Kimpton hotels and I am so glad you took advantage of it.
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We have stayed in numerous Kimpton hotels and are always impressed with the quality of the facilities as well as the staff - the Epic in Miami did not disappoint. This is a beautiful and well-maintained hotel. We opted to splurge on a one-bedroom suite and were glad we did. The room was large with a sizable balcony and amazing water views. I must say that the bathroom was truly epic - huge, with a soaking tub and rain shower that I could have stayed in for hours.

The staff was friendly and competent. Matt at the front desk was especially personable and made our stay memorable. When I called housekeeping for some items, they arrived at the door within 5 minutes. The valet service treated my modest car with the same respect as the higher-end vehicles - and they offered us cold bottles of water as we returned from a walk around town - we did not experience any of the issues as others have reported even though the hotel was full the weekend of our visit. The only bobble in the service was that our breakfast bill was charged to our account twice - this was quickly remedied by the front desk staff upon check-out.

I would definitely recommend this hotel for a splurge when in downtown Miami!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor room with a water view!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
FloridaMomOfTeens
Thanks so much for sharing. We love to hear that you are impressed with Kimpton hotels and EPIC. I have passed on your positive comments to Matt, one of our highly motivated Front Desk Agents. He was happy to be able to assist you. I especially enjoyed reading that we are a beautful well maintained hotel as this is what we are all about.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We were really looking forward to this place, based on its 3rd spot on Tripadvisor for downtown Miami hotels. This is the sad tale of what happened:

We received two $20 vouchers towards the Spa when we checked in. Great. We headed straight there, hoping to unwind in the Spa facilities, which incidentally costs... $20 to use. We were greeted by an employee of the gym. We presented the vouchers and told him we wanted to use the Spa facilities. He said the vouchers are for specific Spa services. We said we were hoping to use it towards the entrance fee for the Saunas / Spa facilities. He then said: "well, if you want to use the Spa, it's right downstairs", and pointed to where we should go. Ok, we thought, we get to use the Spa facilities after all. We go downstairs, where they have a separate front desk. No one home. So we proceed to the locker rooms to change. A few minutes later, my wife shows up pretty upset. She ran into an employee in the locker room who asked her what she was doing there, and said she had to sign-in, and pay on the way out. Then, some minutes later, she went into the sauna, which was not very hot. Another employee went by, and my wife asked her if there was any way to increase the heat. She was once again surprised to be told - rudely, no apologies - that she was not supposed to be there, that she had to check in, and that she has to pay on the way out.

I went straight to the Spa manager, and described what happened. She apologized, and said we can continue to use the facilities.

So, I understand now that: (1) we needed to check-in, for liability reasons, and (2) that the voucher you get through check in is only good for specific services (massage, facial, etc.), and not towards the admittance fee. Fine. The thing is, we were led to the Spa by an employee who never said anything about checking in, and he was confusing enough for us to think that the voucher is good for the entrance fee to the Spa facilities. Not our fault. More importantly: why treat us as if we were trespassing and trying to take advantage of the hotel? Not by one, but by two employees??? Why couldn't someone those employees start with an apology, and say that we needed to check in first? There is absolutely no reason to treat guests like that.

The next morning, we head to Area31, where breakfast is served. Front desk told us that breakfast was included with our room. Both of us heard that loud and clear. When we gave our room number at the restaurant, they said breakfast was not included. We went down to the front desk, where we got a quick apology for the inconvenience, and got two vouchers for a continental breakfast. We took the opportunity to also complain about the Spa incident. The very courteous person at the front desk apologized and offered a $100 on our room bill towards anything in the hotel. Very nice. Unfortunately, this was about 3 hours from our flight. So we headed to the Spa, hoping to book a quick massage for my wife to make up for how she was treated there. Luckily (or so we thought), we were told there was one slot opening in 5 minutes for a one hour massage. Perfect. Just enough time before the flight. So I head to breakfast (more on that in a minute), and a few minutes later my wife shows up: the person who booked the massage appointment at the desk apparently proceeded to then call the massage therapist, and then told my wife the therapist was going to be at least 15 minutes late. Come on! Why would you book an appointment before verifying the massage therapist is there?

Now, the continental breakfast: the voucher limited us to taking food from a medium size table containing fruit, granola / cereal, yogurt and some pastries. NOT what you expect for breakfast at a 4+ star hotel.

A couple of other things were off: faucets in the room caused a high pitch noise on and off when we used them; There was no coffee in the room; There was no free bottle water in the room; Also, the pool area, although overall nice, had no Jacuzzi. The beautiful 16th floor pool area really calls for one. But that's just me.

Overall, this is still a beautiful hotel, in a great location. Also, most of the staff was great: pool staff makes you feel at home making sure you always have ice water with lemon and plenty of towels; Area31 breakfast staff is also very courteous and professional, as is the front desk staff.

But clearly, there is a management failure in the Spa, and some loose ends that need to be tightened.
Very disappointing.

Room Tip: There are parties on the 16th floor balcony that are very loud, so if you need a good night's sl...
OfriB
So sorry. The situation you encountered with the Spa and our restaurant is pretty rare, We always try to do our best and hope you will let us prove this during your next stay with us. Afterall you did seem to enjoy our staff and the beauty of the hotel.
We would love to show you the real EPIC experience next time.EPIC wishes.
Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

The hotel is a really good property, with nicely decorated rooms and very functional to both the tourist and the business traveller. There's an excellent gym open 24/7 and service is very friendly. Two things made my stay rather unpleasant: on two of the four nights the fire alarm went off at 4 AM (false alarm) and every time I had to leave the hotel I had to wait half an hour for my car. Unacceptable for a 5-star hotel in a city where cars are indispensable.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
OfriB
Thanks for sharing. I am glad to learn you enjoyed our nicely decorated rooms, the gym and our staff. So sorry about the valet experience, please rest assured you feedback is appreciated and will be addressed. Please come back soon. EPIC wishes
Jacqueline Ploettner

Been to EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!