“Wow! Amazing!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Boston, MAssachusetts, USA
“Wow! Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Absolute perfection. I am sitting in my water view room, overlooking a large balcony, after having been coddled from the time I stepped out of my car, walked through the doors being held open for me, whisked through registration and was delivered to my room. Things couldn't have gone more smoothly and the staff could not have been more attentive. The room is very well appointed, and the bath facilities unmatched. I read a few reviews about being able to hear the restaurant activity, as well as inattentive staff. I could not disagree more. I hope you're all lucky enough to be a guest.

Room Tip: I have not seen the city view, but the water view from the 25th is a stunner.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
JacquelinePloettner, Manager at EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
LanghamLover
Thanks for sharing the great experience you had with us. I love to hear that you enjoyed our staff and the view from our great balconies. The final comment you made " I hope you're all lucky enough to be a guest." has already been shared with my entire team!
Please visit us again soon. EPIC wishes
Jacqueline Ploettner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
Alexandria, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

After a Caribbean cruise we spent 4 nights at Epic. We got a free upgrade to the 28th floor overlooking the water because of a birthday celebration. ASK for Room 2803, for a great view. The balcony was about 20 ft. wide and 8 feet in depth. The room was spacious, well appointed, clean and quiet. A few pictures will follow. We loved having dinner at night through room service on the balcony. You look out on yachts, beautiful water and a part of Miami that many people may not see. Breakfast in the morning in the hotel restaurant (called 31) was fine. The service is a little slow. You can get a cold plate buffet or hotel dishes. We did combinations. You can sit out on the deck which is nice.
The swimming pool is gorgeous and overlooks the same view we had from the 28th floor. The gym is not huge but has many of the parts you need for a good machine and weight workout.

Epic has a free wine tasting hour from 5 to 6 pm and complimentary coffee in the lobby in a.m.
The lobby is gorgeous in its own right.

Now for the vicinity. Ask the desk how to get to Brickel Key. It is about a10-15 minute walk. Walk all around it for great views. But when you first get to the Key look at the huge bush/tree on the left (at end of the Bridge). We saw up to 20 iguanas in the tree. See the pictures.

Epic is one of the finest places we have ever stayed in. We travel often so our baseline is large for comparisons.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
VAChuck
Thanks so much for sharing. I am happy you have chosen us a getaway hotel to your cruise.Our views from all balconies are truly amazing. EPIC"s complimentary wine hour is a unique event provided by all Kimpton hotels and I am so glad you took advantage of it.
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We have stayed in numerous Kimpton hotels and are always impressed with the quality of the facilities as well as the staff - the Epic in Miami did not disappoint. This is a beautiful and well-maintained hotel. We opted to splurge on a one-bedroom suite and were glad we did. The room was large with a sizable balcony and amazing water views. I must say that the bathroom was truly epic - huge, with a soaking tub and rain shower that I could have stayed in for hours.

The staff was friendly and competent. Matt at the front desk was especially personable and made our stay memorable. When I called housekeeping for some items, they arrived at the door within 5 minutes. The valet service treated my modest car with the same respect as the higher-end vehicles - and they offered us cold bottles of water as we returned from a walk around town - we did not experience any of the issues as others have reported even though the hotel was full the weekend of our visit. The only bobble in the service was that our breakfast bill was charged to our account twice - this was quickly remedied by the front desk staff upon check-out.

I would definitely recommend this hotel for a splurge when in downtown Miami!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor room with a water view!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
FloridaMomOfTeens
Thanks so much for sharing. We love to hear that you are impressed with Kimpton hotels and EPIC. I have passed on your positive comments to Matt, one of our highly motivated Front Desk Agents. He was happy to be able to assist you. I especially enjoyed reading that we are a beautful well maintained hotel as this is what we are all about.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We were really looking forward to this place, based on its 3rd spot on Tripadvisor for downtown Miami hotels. This is the sad tale of what happened:

We received two $20 vouchers towards the Spa when we checked in. Great. We headed straight there, hoping to unwind in the Spa facilities, which incidentally costs... $20 to use. We were greeted by an employee of the gym. We presented the vouchers and told him we wanted to use the Spa facilities. He said the vouchers are for specific Spa services. We said we were hoping to use it towards the entrance fee for the Saunas / Spa facilities. He then said: "well, if you want to use the Spa, it's right downstairs", and pointed to where we should go. Ok, we thought, we get to use the Spa facilities after all. We go downstairs, where they have a separate front desk. No one home. So we proceed to the locker rooms to change. A few minutes later, my wife shows up pretty upset. She ran into an employee in the locker room who asked her what she was doing there, and said she had to sign-in, and pay on the way out. Then, some minutes later, she went into the sauna, which was not very hot. Another employee went by, and my wife asked her if there was any way to increase the heat. She was once again surprised to be told - rudely, no apologies - that she was not supposed to be there, that she had to check in, and that she has to pay on the way out.

I went straight to the Spa manager, and described what happened. She apologized, and said we can continue to use the facilities.

So, I understand now that: (1) we needed to check-in, for liability reasons, and (2) that the voucher you get through check in is only good for specific services (massage, facial, etc.), and not towards the admittance fee. Fine. The thing is, we were led to the Spa by an employee who never said anything about checking in, and he was confusing enough for us to think that the voucher is good for the entrance fee to the Spa facilities. Not our fault. More importantly: why treat us as if we were trespassing and trying to take advantage of the hotel? Not by one, but by two employees??? Why couldn't someone those employees start with an apology, and say that we needed to check in first? There is absolutely no reason to treat guests like that.

The next morning, we head to Area31, where breakfast is served. Front desk told us that breakfast was included with our room. Both of us heard that loud and clear. When we gave our room number at the restaurant, they said breakfast was not included. We went down to the front desk, where we got a quick apology for the inconvenience, and got two vouchers for a continental breakfast. We took the opportunity to also complain about the Spa incident. The very courteous person at the front desk apologized and offered a $100 on our room bill towards anything in the hotel. Very nice. Unfortunately, this was about 3 hours from our flight. So we headed to the Spa, hoping to book a quick massage for my wife to make up for how she was treated there. Luckily (or so we thought), we were told there was one slot opening in 5 minutes for a one hour massage. Perfect. Just enough time before the flight. So I head to breakfast (more on that in a minute), and a few minutes later my wife shows up: the person who booked the massage appointment at the desk apparently proceeded to then call the massage therapist, and then told my wife the therapist was going to be at least 15 minutes late. Come on! Why would you book an appointment before verifying the massage therapist is there?

Now, the continental breakfast: the voucher limited us to taking food from a medium size table containing fruit, granola / cereal, yogurt and some pastries. NOT what you expect for breakfast at a 4+ star hotel.

A couple of other things were off: faucets in the room caused a high pitch noise on and off when we used them; There was no coffee in the room; There was no free bottle water in the room; Also, the pool area, although overall nice, had no Jacuzzi. The beautiful 16th floor pool area really calls for one. But that's just me.

Overall, this is still a beautiful hotel, in a great location. Also, most of the staff was great: pool staff makes you feel at home making sure you always have ice water with lemon and plenty of towels; Area31 breakfast staff is also very courteous and professional, as is the front desk staff.

But clearly, there is a management failure in the Spa, and some loose ends that need to be tightened.
Very disappointing.

Room Tip: There are parties on the 16th floor balcony that are very loud, so if you need a good night's sl...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
OfriB
So sorry. The situation you encountered with the Spa and our restaurant is pretty rare, We always try to do our best and hope you will let us prove this during your next stay with us. Afterall you did seem to enjoy our staff and the beauty of the hotel.
We would love to show you the real EPIC experience next time.EPIC wishes.
Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

The hotel is a really good property, with nicely decorated rooms and very functional to both the tourist and the business traveller. There's an excellent gym open 24/7 and service is very friendly. Two things made my stay rather unpleasant: on two of the four nights the fire alarm went off at 4 AM (false alarm) and every time I had to leave the hotel I had to wait half an hour for my car. Unacceptable for a 5-star hotel in a city where cars are indispensable.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
OfriB
Thanks for sharing. I am glad to learn you enjoyed our nicely decorated rooms, the gym and our staff. So sorry about the valet experience, please rest assured you feedback is appreciated and will be addressed. Please come back soon. EPIC wishes
Tyler, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Last year when I was in Miami for a meeting, I stayed at the Viceroy. The whole time I was there, I would look across the channel at the Epic and regret that I had not decided to stay there instead.

I made good of my regrets this year with a short one-night stay at the Epic using some Amex points. It was so much better than the Viceroy from most all perspectives. And I was very glad I spent the extra points to stay on the Club Floor - and I would encourage you to do the same!

First, the lobby is more like a real hotel lobby (whereas the Viceroy is small and not that inviting). Check in was very fast, and they gave us our cards to the Club Floor. The beautiful yachts tied up along the Epic only adds to the specialness of the place - as do the exotic Miami cars valeted around the guest arrival outside.

We stayed in the 950sqft one-room suite on the 29th floor. The view of the water was spectacular, and the balcony was massive. The room was very clean, comfortable and well-appointed.

The Club itself on the Club Level really takes the cake, however. FIVE different offerings of food throughout the day - and not just crummy finger foods they heated up out of a package - but REAL food. All of it complimentary. Complimentary drinks of whatever you want as well. The concierge was extremely kind and helpful, and mixed us up whatever drinks we wanted. Why go to the hotel bar when you can just stay in the Club and eat / drink there for free?

We ate at Zuma, which was very good, and enjoyed our time there. But the quietness of the Club was too good and kept us coming back.

Room Tip: The Club Level is a MUST! Spend the extra money and bask in the "complimentary" amenities...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
econometricsquant
Thanks so much for sharing the great experience you had with our hotel especially the Club floor.
Our views from the upper floors are truly breath taking. Great food coupled with drinks and a super personalized service, that's what our club floor is about and we want to thank you again for sharing.
newport beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

note the valet service during a rush is a nightmare as is getting to this property. They need to hire a valet maanger from a Vegas property in order to eliminate the horrible wait/queue.

Great Resteraunts and really helpful staff once you get inside.

Room Tip: pick an upper floor away from the draw bridge, Cars going over the bridge create an explosion in yo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
waltermichael
Thanks for your honest feedback. I am glad you enjoyed the restaurant and our helpful staff.
EPIC is a much sought out destination for both the hotel, our Spa and the restaurants. It does create a lot of traffic and we are constantly striving to create the best valet experience. Sorry about the wait you had encountered. We are looking forward to having you back.
EPIC wishes. Jacqueline Ploettner

Been to EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!