“Very nice hotel, but I would have chosen another hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Fly South for the Winter
Ranked #5 of 129 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersGold level
Norway
“Very nice hotel, but I would have chosen another hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Family of 4 from Norway (children 3 and 7 years)

Let me first clarify that this is a very nice hotel, modern, spacious, nicely furnished and clean rooms, and you have a good view. We lived in 21 floor and had views of the city, but parts of the view was limited by nearby high-rise buildings. Check-in went quickly and those who worked the front desk was very friendly. But for us, this hotel is a little too formal and "poche". Picolo who took the luggage to the room, and if you want to park on site, this is a service where they park the car for you, and this costs $ 36 extra per day. Delivery and pickup of the car also took some time as there were several who were waiting for the same service. The hotel has a pool area on the roof of 16 floor, but because there were signs of rain didn't they allowed us to swim, something we had looked forward to after a long car trip. The hotel is located downtown, so there is a long distance to Miami Beach where there is most to see for tourists. It should be noted that the Bayside Mall is only a 5-10 minute walk from the hotel and we enjoyed ourselves here in the evening. All in all a very nice hotel, but as a family, we had chosen a less "poche" hotel on Miami beach with the ability to swim in the sea.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
JacquelinePloettner, Manager at EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 28, 2012
DanNorway
Thanks for sharing your comments from your stay with us. We appreciate your feedback and your nice words about our modern and spacious rooms with stunning views. We are sorry to hear that you were not able to experience our pool service. Fast approaching thunderstorms with lightning and gusty winds force us sometimes to temporarily close our pool area. We take these precautions, as the safety of our guests and employees is very important to us. We are glad you and your kids enjoyed nearby Bayside Marketplace with lots of tourist attractions.
We truly hope you will be visiting us again.
Jacqueline Ploettner, Resort Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (532)
Bermuda
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

My stay evened out to a four stars though for all the four stars I've given, this property was at the lower end of the spectrum and here is why:

There are too many doormen! What are they are doing just standing around in the front talking away. Same with the people behind the counter. I'm uninterested in the drama with your friend - even if you are very friendly - I just want to check into my room in peace.

The elevators and the keys - wow what a pain. I had to swap out my card a few times and on more than one occaission found myself riding to a floor that wasn't mine because the card reader was having a fit. And I wasn't the only one with this issue because strangers and co-workers in the elevator with me were giving me their troubles too!

The food for the conference I was at was just ok. The conference rooms had no windows and were cold. I think that's a general experience no matter where you are.

I couldn't get the temp in my room to ever feel right either.

Those are all the detractors to make me say why I like the Westin in New York or The W hotels more than this place. The view here is very nice. Great walk to downtown. The bed was comfy - the room was spacious enough. The pool areas looked lovely. The gym was a good size for a hotel.

I would stay here again and would still recommend it to friends.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
imari96
Thanks for sharing your feedback from your stay. We are disappointed that we were not able to exceed your expectation and would like to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced. However, we do appreciate your kind comments regarding our rooms, pool area and our gym. We would like to welcome you back to EPIC again. Please return soon.
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

We visited the Epic hotel during our stay to Miami in Jul 2010 based on our reviews on trip advisor.It was a perfect choice right on the Biscayne bay and overlooking the Miami skyline. We enjoyed the food,service and location of the hotel. Breakfast was delicious and filling.We also liked the proximity of the hotel to other tourist attractions like the Miami beach and other waterfront places.Kudos to the staff of the Epic for making our stay a memorable one..

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool and bay are great..
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
JacquelinePloettner, Manager at EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Sidb80
Thanks so much for sharing your feedback from your stay with us. EPIC is definitely convenient located. You can easily walk to the American Airlines Arena for a game or concert, Bayside Market for shopping or to Mary Brickell Village for local dining.
We are glad we made a memorable experience.
Please stay with us again.
Tamarac, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

This hotel is beautiful, fun and has all their ducks in a row. Exercise classes, pool, creative reuse of Area 31 restaurant for Breakfast vs. dinner...everyday complimentary wine and hors d'oeuvres int he lobby....simply fabulous....

Room Tip: I love the way they set up the continental breakfast in the Area 31 restaurant in front of the bar...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Francie A
Thanks for posting your wonderful review from your stay on Tripadvisor. We are thrilled to see that you enjoyed all our offerings, from Exhale Core Fusion classes, to dining at our award winning restaurant AREA31 and our evening hosted wine hour.
We hope you will be selecting EPIC for your next weekend escape.
Please be our guest again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

From moment of check in by Christian at front desk to check out, fabulous service!!! Christian made us feel like the most important guests he had! Shared all the hotel had to offer with us and was so kind! Spent time at beautiful pool with incredible views and also received fabulous service. They set up our chairs with towels, brought us beverages quickly and even provided sun care products if needed. Hotel was clean, people were kind and attentive and we would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Miami!

• Stayed July 2012
Tayloml
Thanks for your amazing review. We are glad that you enjoyed the attentive service provided by our staff throughout the hotel. Christian is definitely a great asset to our team and we appreciate you recognizing him for making you feel special and cared for. Thanks for recommending us to other travelers.
Please visit us again.
Morgan, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

I have to say I have Never Ever had such Great customer service at any hotel like I did at the Epic!!! First of all I was Greeted with a big genuine smile saying Welcome. I usually do Not remember names however I remembered this guy because he was so kind and helpful. His name was Christian. I would recommend checking out this place and asking to speak to him! The room was 100% perfect with a great view. The resturant Area 31 was super! I also visited the spa named Exhale twice. I am SOOO glad I stayed there v/s the hotel we wanted at first named the Sofitel. Christian I hope your company enjoys your hard work and friendlyness just like our four friends did! (=

Room Tip: Above the pool area view of the ocean.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Kristy W
Wow – thanks for your great review. We are excited to hear about your wonderful stay at EPIC and your dining experience at AREA31 restaurant. Christian is definitely amazing. We are thrilled to have him as a part of our wonderful staff.
We are looking forward to your next stay with us.
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

This was our first time to Miami and not knowing what to expect, I can say I was absolutely blown away! Every staff member from the outside leading into the hotel greeted us with a hello and held the door for us as we exited and entered into the hotel. Christian the front desk agent, never forgot our names and always greeted us with his signature smile! Eduardo the concierge, was very helpful with explaining every little detail our room had to offer. The layout of the room was beautiful, all views were breathtaking and I was impressed with the cleanliness of the room during our stay. The ambiance and the music they have playing in the lobby and in the elevators takes you to an entirely different level. Definitely making this hotel our second home!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
JacquelinePloettner, Manager at EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2012
Marla L
Thanks for sharing your feedback from your first stay at EPIC. We are thrilled to hear that our staff, especially Eduardo and Christian, made a lasting impression and ensured your stay was comfy, relaxing and fun.
We hope you will be visiting us again. Please return soon.
Jacqueline Ploettner, Resort Manager

Been to EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!