“Another amazing stay at the Epic!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 111 Hotels in Miami
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
San Diego, California
“Another amazing stay at the Epic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

My third business trip to Miami in 2011 and my third outstanding stay at the Epic. All staff members were wonderful as usual and I have nothing to complain or comment negatively upon. As usual, the customer service was above reproach. This trip, I had to extend my stay at the last minute one night, and then again the following night at the last minute. Not only did they make arrangements to keep me in my same room (which couldn't have been easy given the approaching weekend), but they also only charged me the same discounted rate I had purchased way in advance when booking my trip originally. This was unexpected and most appreciated. Thank you Epic family!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (570)
Orpington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

I first visited this hotel in December 2010. My second stay was as good as the first. The room was superb, spacious, excellent bathroom, very comfortable bed. Not the greatest of views from the balcony (room 2433) but that was the only negative point. The internet terminal in the room worked well, allowing me to complete much business during my stay.

The room was always cleaned early and to a high standard. It had a mini-safe and the TV swung 360 degrees so you could watch in bed or from the sofa. The shower was good - roomy and lots of hot water.

I never tried breakfast but ate in the Area 31 restaurant one evening - it was excellent.

The happy hour from 1700-1800 in the Reception area was good - free wine of a reasonable standard. Every night my bed was turned down with a bottle of water and glass placed by the bed.

The staff were fantastic. Always eager to serve you and semmed genuinely to care.

Highly recommended - one of the best in Miami.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
JacquelinePloettner, Manager at EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2011
RossOrpington
Thank you for your great comments and for naming us ‘one of the best hotels in Miami’. We are thrilled you had a fantastic stay and the amenities and layout of our guest rooms, with complimentary computers inside, allowed you to be productive and comfy at the same time.
It is great to see that you enjoyed your dining experience in Area31 and were pleased with our overall service.
We are looking forward to your next stay.
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

Would definitely recommend this hotel for business or leisure travel if you need to be in downtown /Brickell area. This was my first stay at the Epic and enjoyed it overall. I would probably never stay here except for business as there is not much to explore in the area and I would think that most ourism go to South beach and more touristy bits of Miami.

It wasn't my first choice but had to book last minute and Viceroy was full.

The Good:
- spacious room and bathroom with separate toilet, shower and lots of towels; large closet; complimentary water bottles and fruits upon in room upon arrival
- great bayside view from the room that I had; enjoyed the sunrise and sunset every day directly from the room
- tasteful modern hotel
- nice pool area with various style of lounging chairs, complimentary magazines and water
- excellent food at both restaurants (Area 31 and Zuma)
- your own goldfish in the room to keep you company
- overall friendly staff throughout the hotel and follow-up to minor complaints (see below regarding movie and waterbottles)
- little extras such as coffee/tea offered in the morning and wine between 17:00-18:00. I usually had meeting outside so did not make use of these but had the impression that plenty of people did. Having said this, there was no coffee or teamaker in the room. Maybe because it's offered in the lobby in the morning?
- broad selection of amenities in the room or that can be ordered; very useful since my suitcase did not arrive with me!
- convenient location to Brickell ave for business travellers; it took me 15' to walk to the office. It's a very pleasant walk but some mind find having to cross the bridge a bit of a bother (especially when it's open and you have to wait). Next door is Viceroy just on the other side of the bridge making it perhaps more convenient and slightly closer to most offices down brickell ave

The Bad :
- limited roomservice: stayed for 10 nights and got a bit boring after few days having to choose from small menu. Concierge can provide takeaway menus but I had to wait too long for this to be brought up so ended ordering roomservice again
- Zuma does not provide roomservice and not possible to go down and pick up the food yourself either. Dissappointing! I was told that this was because of US litigation risk (raw food)...and Zuma also operates separately from the hotel
- none of the HD movies can be played. They are aware of this issue but nevertheless keep the HD movies on the menu. I had to call reception, wait for technician to show up only to tell me that he's aware of the problem and nothing can be done. I was assured that the movie, that I could not watch, would not be billed but this still ended up on my bill when checking out
- open water bottles (even if almost full) would be removed and thrown out by housekeeping; irritating. I was told that guests expect this to be cleared up??! After complaining the second time this happened I did receive lots of complimentary bottles
- food offered at poolside is the usual snacks, nothing special
- less choice for the leisure traveller in walking distance

Conclusion: Overall great experience with minor complaints and might stay again at the Epic for business but will try the Viceroy next time. Would not choose this hotel for leisure travel. Highly recommend trying the Zuma restaurant. The Area 21 also had a great 3-course lunch.

Room Tip: Take a room with bayside view. Every day I enjoyed watching the colours of the sunrise and sunset
Marybel13
Thank you for posting such detailed feedback from your stay. We are disappointed that your stay was not to your complete satisfaction and we would like to apologize for falling short in In Room Dining and Housekeeping service. However, we are glad to see that you loved the layout of our rooms, enjoyed our pool area with amazing views from the 16th floors, as well as Area31 and Zuma restaurants. We are happy you found our location convenient, close to businesses in Brickell and great local bars and restaurant. We hope that, when returning to Miami, you will be our guest again. We are looking forward to your next stay with us.
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

We had a club level room giving us access to the club lounge where the staff (particularly Jean) were exceptionally helpful, friendly and efficient, making our stay very enjoyable. The hotel is nicely designed (modern) and room very spacious. Pool area was really cool, very glamorous and had a cold pool (normal temperature) as well as a hot pool (too hot to swim lengths in but fine for posing!). The pool was noisy (loud music with a dj) on one day but it was labour day weekend so not sure if this is usual. Location downtown was fine, easy to buses (although everyone recommends not to use buses, we used several and were fine). Well worth getting a club level room for the lounge where they are very generous with complimentary food and drink (alcohol included).

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
JacquelinePloettner, Manager at EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2011
Mushette
Thank you for your fantastic feedback. We appreciate your comments about our exceptional and friendly service. We are glad you enjoyed your modern and comfy guest room, as well as all other amenities EPIC has to offer.
We are happy you found our pool area glamorous and fun. DJ’s are only invited on very special occasion or events, otherwise our pool deck is very tranquil and with slow background music very relaxing.
We hope you will be returning as our guest in the near future.
Swindon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

Well what can I say that has not been said already.

The Hotel Epic was our first stop on an east coast tour of America and it was the best hotel of the trip, and started our Holiday with a plus.

First of all they upgraded our room to a sea view room as it was our anniversary, so a big thank you to the staff for that.

The Staff are very friendly and helpful and even though this is a high end hotel, you never feel as though you do not belong or that you are being looked down at.

The rooms are fantastic, large and clean and they have a cut out in the bathroom wall to the bedroom so that you can soak in the bath and watch TV at the same time, so cool.

We only ate once at the hotel but the food was great and yummy.

As per a previous review the valet parking is quick and simple, and although I did think it was expensive I soon learned from the other hotels we stayed at on our tour that actually it was reasonable.

We will definatly be back to MIami and will stay at the Hotel Epic, and will now really consider Kimpton hotels in other locations.

Thank you to all the staff for making our vacation very special.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a sea view room its really worth it.
ALISTER2
Thank you for your kind words and naming us as ‘the best hotel you stayed during your entire vacation’. We are so happy we made your anniversary extra special and unforgettable. Thank you for your nice words regarding our staff service. We are glad our staff made you feel extra special, by providing an intimate and personalized service.
We are looking forward to your next stay with us.
lima, perú
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

I have already been to the epic a few times and I'm going back again in a couple of weeks. this trip is different because it's the first trip we take with our 18 month old baby, and that really changes things, so I sent an email to jacqueline ploettner, the resort manager, who had taken excellent care of my parents and sister when they were at the epic a few months ago. I let her know we were traveling with the baby and she immediately asked if we wanted a crib, fridge and/or microwave and if there was any other thing we might need to make our stay as comfortable and pleasant as possible.
since then I've send her some more emails because there have been some changes on our reservations and on the flights, and she has been great at handling this stuff and making us feel like we were really important customers. the thing that has been more consistent all the times I've been at the epic is the amazing service, I'm so happy to see this has not changed (even if I'm not there yet!).
we are counting the days until our first family vacation at the epic (and will post another review when we get back home)!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
uchi
Thank you so much for posting such nice comments. It is my pleasure to personally assist you, to ensure your upcoming visit at EPIC will be exciting, fun and unforgettable. It is very important to me that all of my guests feel comfy and ‘home away from home’.
My team and I can’t wait to welcome you and your family to EPIC.
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

We chose this hotel partly because of the reviews on TripAdvisor and partly because we have also stayed at the Kimpton in San Francisco - which we also found to be a great hotel.
There's not much I can add to what has already been said - this hotel is definately one of the best we have ever stayed in!
As a Kimpton member we were upgraded to a Bayview room - and what a view!
We arrived after a long flight from London, our car was swiftly taken away for parking and we were checked in with courtesy and efficiency.
The room was enormous - and spotless.
We went down for a drink in the bar and then took a drink back to our room and ordered some room service. The food was good and arrived quickly.
We were only in Miami for 2 nights so didn't get to try the pool or attend the drinks reception but throughout our stay I have nothing but praise for the service we received.
I think the secret to the Kimpton is the staff. Sometimes you feel in some hotels that staff are being polite because it's their job - well it is - but here we felt that they really wanted to help and ensure that you had a good stay.
I can only say that if you're going to Miami then don't hesitate in booking The KImpton.

Janet176
Thank you for your amazing comments. We are so glad you had a fantastic time and enjoyed your spacious room with stunning views over Biscayne Bay and Miami. We are glad our staff made the difference and assisted you to make your stay relaxing and enjoyable. We would like to thank you for being such a loyal Kimpton member.
We are looking forward to your return.
Jacqueline Ploettner, Resort Manager

Been to EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!