“A service-oriented, beautiful, luxurious, relatively affordable hotel that's also family and pet friendly?! Perfect!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel

Ranked #5 of 129 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersGold level
Tampa, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

We just got back from our relaxing weekend at the EPIC Hotel in Miami. We were there just to relax by the pool and have some quality time with family. It was perfect. We knew that the reviews had been excellent, but we were even happier than we expected to be.

First of all, the fact that it is a pet-friendly hotel, is amazing. We have English bulldogs who we love to travel with, but rarely can. We had tried to find a pet-sitter when planning our trip, but we couldn't find anyone. Imagine our happy surprise when the first ranked hotel on TripAdvisor was actually pet friendly (with no weight limit or fees!). Well, as if that wasn't nice enough, when we arrived, there was a chalkboard sign out front that had a cute caricature of a dog and said "Welcome Daisy and Cappy" with a container of dog treats and a water bowl! What an amazing and thoughtful gesture that made us feel so special. The hotel staff from the front desk to the valets were all so welcoming, not only to our dogs, but to us and our two young kids. Upon arrival at the hotel, we were initially surprised because it was such a hip place with a decent night-time crowd, yet the staff did not make our family of children and dogs feel out of place in the lobby.

Our room was impeccably clean and comfortable. We stayed in a "city view" room, which I'm used to in some hotels being a view of a building about 10 feet away, but it was a beautiful view of the city. I'm sure the water view is lovely too, but we enjoyed our view of the lights of Miami at night. The bathroom was very large. The dimmer switch was great to keep some soft light on at night. The kids loved that they could see the TV from the great bathtub. I know this is going to sound superlative, but the shampoo and conditioner in the room were amazing. My hair is softer than it's been since we moved to Florida and it began its subjection to constant sun, humidity, and chlorine. I used it all up during our stay, and now I'm kicking myself that I didn't bring the tubes home with me or retain the name of the brand! I meant to bring them home, and not doing so is my only regret!

The pool area on the 16th floor was gorgeous. We all loved looking at the view of the river and Biscayne Bay and the boats, especially my 2-year old daughter. When we first got to the pool area both days, the attendants brought terry cloth chair covers and towels, as well as ice water. Then we just relaxed at the pool all day! The poolside food and beverage service was great. There is nothing better than sitting in the pool with a mojito, and the yummy chicken quesadillas hit the spot for lunch after a morning of sun and swimming. When we first got to the pool area in the morning, we worried a little bit that our kids (and my husband) splashing about would be annoying for the quieter crowd of adults / couples who were reading and sunning before lunchtime, but we tried not to be too noisy, and the number of kids and families definitely picked up by afternoon. We didn't feel like we were too loud or out of place for more than a few minutes (and nobody at the pool made us feel like this...I was just being hypersensitive, since I also value quiet relaxation when I'm traveling without my kids). The poolside food and drink service was intermittently a little slow, but the politeness and friendliness of the attendants more than made up for the wait. It was busy, both the pool area and the adjacent bar, so it was completely understandable that there was a bit of a wait....and the attendants were all clearly working very hard (and as for it being busy, we never felt like there were people lining up wanting our chairs or that the pool was too crowded, at all....it was just busy, not crowded). We never had any trouble getting chairs, but if it had been more crowded, we would have probably opted to rent one of the many poolside cabanas with comfy couches, some with flatscreen TVs.

One thing we loved about the pool (that perhaps avid sunbathers would not) is that the sun goes behind the hotel midafternoon, so one of the 2 pools is more shady at that point. There was a lovely breeze, and we had gotten so much sun all mornng, the shade was welcome and allowed us to enjoy the pool for the rest of the afternoon as well.

On to dinner! We had what my sister-in-law has dubbed a "beautiful dinner' at Area 31 restaurant. Again, we were 4 adults with 3 kids under 5 years old, yet they didn't make us feel out of place or unwanted at all, despite that fact that it is not necessarily the type of restaurant that we would go to with kids if we were home....it would be a "get a babysitter" type of restaurant, which is why we so appreciated how welcoming they were of our kiddos, since we didn't have a sitter with us in Miami. The children were pretty well-behaved, and loved the food (my son told us, "I like fancy dinners" afterward). Everything was delicious, and our waiter made excellent recommendations. I may have to return to the hotel if not for all the other good reasons, but just to have the amazing polenta side dish again!

Sunday was checkout day, and we were so sad to leave. Once again, the hotel was incredibly accommodating and allowed us to have a late checkout, so we could enjoy the pool a little bit longer. When it was time to go, our dogs once again got an energetic goodbye pet from many staff members in the lobby, our children sadly waved goodbye, and it was time to go. We will certainly be back, and we were so impressed with the experience that we've decided to stay at only Kimpton hotels when we vacation in DC and NYC this fall! I hope other locations might use the same brand of shampoo and conditioner, and I'll actually remember to write it down this time! I use Trip Advisor all the time to pick hotels, but I've never written a review until now....the EPIC inspired me to do so! I'm so appreciative of the nice weekend we had there, I have been recommending it to everyone I've spoken to since we got home last night!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
JacquelinePloettner, Manager at EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2011
Tampa_FLPopes
WOW! Thank you so much for sharing your feedback from your stay. We appreciate your great comments and we are thrilled that EPIC inspired you to write your review. We are so happy you, your family and doggies had a fun and relaxing weekend getaway and enjoyed every minute at our hotel, restaurants and pools. We are glad our staff took good care of you and paid special attention to “Daisy and Cappy”. Have a great time at our sister hotels in DC and NY, and please make sure to visit us at the EPIC again.
Jacqueline Ploettner, Resort Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (532)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

Very nice facilities but the staff are not reliably qualified. Had a very good welcome arriving late one evening with lots of luggage, rental car, and 3 year-old. The junior suite with city view (actually view of the Marriott facade) is big, tastefully furnished, good bed, large bathroom. Pool on 16 th floor is lovely. One day we ordered food and ate by the pool, no problems, extra tip, very nive pool attendant.The next day Jose told my wife she cannot have food because he is all by himself and too busy clearing up. He changed his mind after some questioning and my wife's suggestion that she would inform management. By that time she had lost her appetite. The elevators need a room key for the guest room levels and must not be stored next to credit cards or mobile phones. Fine. But they are unreliable. It can happen that they don't work on the elevator but if some else rides up with you, thereby giving you access to your floor, the key still works for the room. So the key has clearly not been magnetised by my phone but still does not work in the elevator. Today when I wanted to change the room key because it failed again in the elevator, a new problem presented itself. According to the receptionistI had apparently checked out on day 2 of my 3 day stay. Well, NO! Instead of fixing her useless booking system the robot receptionist asked for my ID and whether I had made 2 bookings, treating me like I am the idiot. Lastly, room service cannot identify the dishes on the room service menu even if I spell them on the phone. Depressing, if the hotel makes you think about the capabilities of the systems and people who are supposed to make your stay nicer and not aggregate you. Lovely building though.

• Stayed July 2011
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

The service at this hotel is great. The staff is friendly and helpful. We stayed at the 29th floor which also included Club Level access. Be sure to make a reservation for club level because then you get the best service (5x a day drinks and snacks), and you get to meet Mark and Lucia. They will take good care of you.

The rooms are big and clean. Great bathroom. Slow internet access though. Sign up for Kimpton In Touch program for free Wifi. They also have a great gym and nice pool on the 16th floor.

The hotel is situated in Downtown so make sure you rent a car/bike (depending on how far you want to go) if you want to make a trip. Otherwise you'll have to spend a lot of money on cabs. Public transportation in Miami is terrible and walking long distances in that weather is not an option. Cab to south beach is 25 dollars for a one-way trip.

A great and affordable restaurant located near the hotel is Ceviche 105, an authentic Peruvian restaurant with a great atmosphere. Also check out Garcia's for some Cuban seafood.

Enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: make club level reservations, it's worth it!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
JacquelinePloettner, Manager at EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2011
TBRL
Thank you for your great comments. We are happy Mark and Lucia took good care of you and provided the ‘best service’. We are glad you enjoyed our hotel, our pools and gym, as well as our location in downtown. Many local restaurants and attractions can be reach walking or by bike, which we offer complimentary to all of our hotel guests. We are looking forward to your return.
Best regards,
North Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

I recently stayed at the epic....with my husband, daughter any my adorable puppy Sprinkles....It was such a wonderful experience....From check in till our complimentary late check out. Upon arrival they had a welcome sign on a chalk board for my Sprinkles too cute.....The personal attention we received in the club level was priceless.....Lucia was the best.....The poolside cabana was out of this world. And I also had a poolside massage. I swear that the pool water felt that it had a conditioner or some kind of softner ...no joke....I have stayed at many nice hotels and this has to my favorite....Love it so much going back this weekend just 3 weeks later for my husbands birthday...This time no kids or doggie...Just pure adult time...Yayy..

Room Tip: Club level is the way to go..
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
JacquelinePloettner, Manager at EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 14, 2011
Barbiecaudle
Thank you so much for your nice comments. We are happy your family and Sprinkles had a fun time at EPIC. We are glad you enjoyed our hotel and our ‘soft-water’ pools. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to your ‘favorite’ hotel in a few weeks.
Best wishes,
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

Let me start off my saying, I am not easily impressed. It takes a lot to impress me. The Epic Hotel impressed me from the moment I got out of the taxi. We arrived by taxi and were greeted and escorted in with our luggage. The bellman stayed with us while we checked in and stayed with us until we reached our room. Once we were in our room, he showed us where everything was located and showed us how to work everything. He then escorted us the the Concierge Level and told us about the 5 daily meal presentations, the open bar and happy hour. We went back to our room and looked stood on the balcony which over looked the water!!! It was beautiful!!!!! The room was clean and beautiful, the bed was comfortable and don't get me started on the shower. It was awesome. We signed up for their Intouch Loyalty Program and was allowed to use the laptop which was in the room for free!!!! We were also allowed to get $10 worth of items from the mini bar (for free) just by signing up for the loyalty program. The 5 meal presentations were great!!! The last presentation of the day were deserts. I had the best lemon meringue pie ever. I can honestly say that was the best lemon meringue pie I have ever tasted. The pool was really nice and beautiful. During happy hour, I had the best Sangria ever! I enjoyed the meal presentations, sangria, the room, the view and the list goes on. What stood out to me the most and truly impressed me was the service. The Epic has the best service that I have ever experienced. Everyone was so eager to meet your every need. Upon check-in, we were asked if we were celebrating anything. We told them it was our anniversary. We returned from dinner and found a nice bottle of Champagne and a beautiful card congratulating us waiting in the room. My review is all over the place but I want to make sure I don't leave anything out. We were going on a cruise and were not allowed to board the boat until 1:30 so we were granted a late check-out. We enjoyed our stay so much, we wanted to cancel our cruise and stay at the Epic the entire week (true statement). We reluctantly went on our cruise. Upon returning from our cruise, we had several hours to spend in Miami before our plane departed. We called the Epic and they allowed us to bring our luggage to the hotel to hold it for us so we would not have to carry it with us and we could enjoy more of Miami. Everyone must experience the EPIC Hotel!!!! A+++++++++

Room Tip: The Concierge Level is well worth the extra money
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Allaboutjuanita
Thank you so much for your review. We are thrilled to hear how impressed you were with our service. We are glad you had a fabulous time, enjoyed our club level and the comfort of your guest room, with complimentary internet as an In Touch member. We are happy we made your anniversary enjoyable and unforgettable. Please be our guest again.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

First of all, I will let you know that I'm a hotel snob. The Epic was a very good choice for my BDay weekend! Stayed on Club Level floor. Room was nice and spacious with great views of the water and pool. Rooms very also very clean. Kind of got the W Hotel Vibe, but not quite. Club level needs a little more tweeking, as far as snacks constantly being out, but they were good when available. It would of also been nice to have the Club Level on the other side of the hotel overlooking the main pool. Even though there is a pool below the club level, no one was there during our stay. Maybe the hotel should considering making this another bar area to spread things out even more. If you wanted something that was not there, the staff would promptly get it for you. However, it's has some work to get to the level of the Ritz's club level. Food was good here also. Was there for the NBA playoff season and was a nice walk to the arena to watch the game. I've decided that if I was not staying at the W South Beach of Setai, that this would be my option when going to Miami!!! I will be back....

Room Tip: Waterview. Club Level was nice.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
JacquelinePloettner, Manager at EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2011
sunshine11
Thank you so much for providing such a detailed review. We appreciate your feedback and will definitely look in to our club level amenities. We are sorry to hear that we were not able to exceed your expectations, but we are glad your overall stay was enjoyable and you would stay with us again.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Bournemouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

We stayed at the EPIC Miami for 7 nights at the end of June. We had a water view Club room on the 29th Floor.
In summary, the stay at the hotel was fantastic in all respects with very little to criticise. The main good and not so good points are summarised below:
GOOD POINTS
Hotel service was amazing, staff were attentive, friendly and very helpful without exception. Mark and Lucia in the club lounge deserve a special mention - nothing was too much trouble.
Room quality was very good, ours was a club suite so we had loads of room, very well equipped with a large balcony.
Room cleanliness was also excellent.
Food and drinks from the club lounge were also superb - to be honest if you're not that hungry you can snack in the club lounge all day for free without needing to spend anything at restaurants - we did this when we were based around the pool.
Pool area was lovely, lots of varied seating and lying areas and pool temperature(s) were just right for me
Views from the hotel across the bay were amazing.
Value for money was about right I'd say given the quality of the room and free access to food and drink
Restaurants in the area were good and varied (Indian, Peruvian (highly recommended). We didn't try the hotel restaurants - they were quite expensive.
Also we really enjoyed the Blue Martini bar in Mark Brickell area (happy hour 4pm to 8pm)!
NOT SO GOOD POINTS
Location was fine but would have been nicer to be closer to South Beach. The only practical way to South Beach from the hotel is by cab forabout $25 ($50 return) therefore making it pretty expensive for frequent visits. Definately worth a visit though.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
KingDoody
Thank you so much for fantastic feedback. Even being located in downtown and not in South Beach, we are glad you had a great time at the EPIC. We appreciate your kind comments about your guest room, views from your balcony, pool area and the service and amenities offered in our club lounge. We are happy you were able to explore our neighborhood and had a great time at local restaurants and bars.
We are looking forward to your return.
Best wishes,
Jacqueline Ploettner, Resort Manager

Been to EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!