“Pretty good if you don't drink” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book now and save 20%!
Ranked #39 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Dayton, OH
“Pretty good if you don't drink”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2009

Booked via Royal Caribbean for a pre- and post-cruise stays. Very nice hotel, neighborhood didn't seem as bad as other reviews reported. Our rooms (both on 16th floor) were very spacious and well-appointed (except for the outdated TVs with blurry pictures). The HVAC system was very puzzling - A/C wouldn't kick on when we dropped thermostat to 62, but came on very strongly with cool air when we increased thrmst to over 75. Strange. Bed was awesome, but the pillows were feather-like and our heads disappeared and were engulfed when we laid our heads on them. View of the port was wonderful.

The property - building, grounds, etc. is very, very nice. Has a very classy feel/appearance. All the staff we encountered (except the concierge, see below) was very friendly, helpful. The front desk called my cellphone when my room was ready. They, don't however, allow one to purchase an upgrade to the Concierge Level of the hotel. Strange. Even Sheraton offers that.

The bathroom was nicely appointed. They could use makeup/shaving mirrors, though, since the granite vanity is fairly wide and far away from the wall mirror - makes shaving difficult for us glasses-wearers. Usually the showers in the high-rise hotels nowadays just have water trickle-out. The shower water pressure/volume here was GREAT - haven't had a hotel-shower like that in years. It was wonderful. Also, there was never a shortage of hot water.

I'm puzzled by the annoyance expressed by other reviewers of the main lobby being a couple floors above the motor lobby. That is quite common in big city downtown hotels. Not a bother at all, really. The motor lobby is very well staffed and very attentive/friendly.

THE POOL IS AWESOME!!! OMG - nice wide deck surrounding an unusually large/nice pool for a hotel. Water is heated, but not overly so, so there's no "shock" when you get in. All the chairs had rolled-up towels on them. Very, very nice. Even our shuttle driver from the port to the hotel said the pool was "legendary". Unfortunately, the pool bar was never opened, but there was an occasional waiter that wandered through.

We did run into problems on both occasions with the (beautiful) lobby bar. Understaffed, overburdened resulting in poor service - especially considering the high prices. Plus, the English-challenged barkeeps didn't know how to make a standard Manhattan - one bartender lady had to look it up in a book or something and made it "perfect" rather than the standard "sweet" (added dry vermouth along with sweet) YUCK! Heck, even Applebees knows how to make a Manhattan! The hotel should invest in more people, trained in bar service, to cover a lobby bar of this size. It would go a long way to elevating the "class quotient" of the place. Especially since it's so attractively decorated and maintained. We even saw the plant-service guy going around wiping down all of the plants' leafs!! At breakfast in the lobby bar, the poor lady seemed overwhelmed by all the people, running out of $5's, running out of plates. Plus, they didn't have bagels on the continental b-fast...what's up with that? HOWEVER, there is FREE WI-FI in the lobby bar with plenty of electrical outlets on the perimeter...MUCH APPRECIATED.

Didn't use the full service main restaurant. One look at the menu prices convinced us to look elsewhere ($16.50 for the standard 2 eggs/sausage breakfast?!? Yikes!!). We opted for Burger King right across the street!

Also, the Concierge desk seemed to be neglected. Had to wait over 10 minutes for the guy to show up (he was delivering flowers to a room - couldn't a bellhop do that??), and then when he came back, instead of even acknowledging me, he answered the ringing phone and talked to them for another couple of minutes. Tacky for a hotel that's trying to be classy.

Overall, if one doesn't typically use the concierge and the bar, this place is very, very nice.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
DHendrix, General Manager at Hilton Miami Downtown, responded to this review, March 3, 2009
Thank you for review and comments. I have addressed your concerns with our F&B and will use them to help improve our service.

Thank you again and I hope you can stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2009

This hotel and the staff were great. The renovations that I have been reading about appear to be just about complete. The rooms were GREAT! All five of them. Updated, clean, and very comfortable beds. One of the rooms air conditioning did not work and the front desk gave a rebate for that room which was nice. After working 15 years in the hotel business I know that perfection isnt always possible thus I appreciate it when hotel staff goes the extra mile. For example, I was told by the front desk that I needed to go down to the transportation office in order to book the shuttle to the cruise terminal. When I got downstairs to the motor lobby there was no one at the transportation office. The bell captain noticed I looked confused and asked me what I needed. I told him I needed a shuttle to the cruise terminal for 12 people for 11AM the next morning. He told me that no one was at the transportation office but he took my room number and told me he would have a shuttle for me at the time requested. Just based on prior experience I thought that the next morning we would be scrambling for cabs so I got downstairs a little early. The Bell Captain recognixed me as I got off the elevator, got all of our luggage together and got us oon our way in our shuttle. I the hotel business sometimes the HOSPITALITY piece is forgotten. Not so at the Hilton Miami Downtown. The service was the best!! Also the fitmess center was really excellent. As was the resturant. We had lunch one day and breakfast another

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear that our bell staff helped to make your stay memorable and I will pass on your comments to them.

Thank you again and I hope you can stay with us again soon.
Pittsburgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2009

The hotel is going through some exterior renovations, windows were big and afforded nice views, but were dirty. The beds were average for a Hilton. Staff was unremarkable. The bar was subpar for a Hilton. Location is not ideal. On the whole, the hotel is mediocre given the Hilton name and cost, not recommended.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
dublin, ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Hilton for 3 nights pre cruising. On arrival we were greeted by the portering staff. We were made to feel very welcome indeed. On checking in I requested a Port view from our room if possible. None was available, although judging from the amount of people on the move around the lobby area over the few days we stayed there , I suspect there probably was. Our room on the 17th floor did not disappoint. We had a lovely view of the airport with planes taking off etc. Great at night time with the lights of the city sky line. The hotel seems to be located on the edge of Downtown area. I would not reccommend walking at night in this area. Day time is ok as there are plenty of people about. Breakfast was a bit pricey at $ 30.00 for 2 people. Average food, nothing special. The bar just off the lobby is nicely located for a few drinks or so. However, the service here leaves a lot to be desired. We called in for a drink about 6.30 or so. there were 2 girls working the floor and only for the intervention of a lovely old gentleman ( who was looking after the free nibbles available here) we would have died from the thirst. Eventually our drinks arrived. I should have ordered a second round there and then, because it took forever to get the attention of our server. When we were finally acknowledged by the server we relaxed. big mistake. she went off to serve someone else ( just arrived in the bar) and completely forgot us. I gave up and went over to her, demanded the bill and paid her off. This was the only event in our stay that gave a bad taste. I would use this hotel again, but next time bring my own booze ( joke)

• 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
DHendrix, General Manager at Hilton Miami Downtown, responded to this review, February 11, 2009
I am glad to hear that overall you had a pleasant stay with us, and I am sorry your experience in the lounge. I will address this concerns with our food and beverage team, so we can make sure it does not happen again.

Thank you for staying with us and I hope you can stay again soon.
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2009

My girlfiend stayed here New Years Eve and wanted something downtown and not too expensive. The hilton was a good pick for location and value considering the events going on around Miami New Years Eve night and New Years day. The room was very clean and the bathroom was large and well taken care of. It is 1 block from one of their rail & bus stations which we utilized to get to South Beach and back with out having to cab it. The staff was helpful pointing out the buses to take and some good locations to check out.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
DHendrix, General Manager at Hilton Miami Downtown, responded to this review, February 9, 2009
Thank you for the review. I am glad you were able to stay with us over New Years. It was a beautiful night and the views were amazing.

I hope you can with us again soon.
midwest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2009

pros: Room was clean though a little tight and the city view was great at night. Friendly stuff. Coffee was amazing.

cons: the first floor was for moter. Valet parking was over $25. The main lobby was not actually on the second floor - confusing. TV was not functioning properly.

ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2009

i stayed at this hotel for 4 nights, found the hotel clean and friendly, good bar area and resturant... I did not like the area the hotel was in i would of prefered south beach area. Although the hotel was only a taxi drive away from south beach. Overall i found this hotel to be one of the nicest hotels that i have stayed in, we flew to miami from vegas and arrived at 7.30am we were able to check in which was great staff were very helpfull.

• Liked — the hotel itself was lovely
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you for the wonderful review. On behalf of the staff of the Hilton, we are glad you had a great time and hope you can stay with us again in the future.

Been to Hilton Miami Downtown? Share your experiences!